Gated requirements

General
You can do all pre-requirements on one char, as they're account-wide, and then just need an Alliance or Horde lvl110 to do the short questline for the respective allied race you want.
Just do your daily round through Argus for the World Quests (maybe even just focus on the major ones as they give reputation for both parties), do a round of invasions and then focus on other stuff... maybe doing the round in Suramar? Don't forget to cash in on any available Emissary quests.
I did it within less than a month for the Void Elves with just the WQs.

Chill, take a step back, make a plan and then stick to it. Every day. The next 3 weeks.
26/07/2018 11:51Posted by Elaynne
Lemme ask simple question: Why should new players do things it took us months to do in less time? Yes, Argus reps are grindy. When i did mine invasions didnt give rep tokens and i had to fit it between 3 days a week raids, m+, emissaries, preparing 10 chars for mage tower... I dont see any reason you should have easier time.

Isn't that like saying "why should raids not be hard no matter how old they are coz raiders at the time had to tough it out"? Why should other people get the transmog for classic raids so easy afterall? Work for it damn it!

Simple answer to your question that no-one is addressing is the fact you will have had the time. It's been given to you to fill your time specifically. Now there is going to be other stuff to do that.

Reason the older raids don't scale and get easy is coz of peoples time doing the new ones.

What plan tho? All I can do atm is "log in and do world events none stop".
@Elaynne: They already have it easier and they are still unhappy. :(
26/07/2018 11:54Posted by Trelw
@Elaynne: They already have it easier and they are still unhappy.

Mode of Ezcraft.

Ikr, I've only had to endure broken leveling and questing, giving up and boosting, only to get pelted with quests I dunno what to do with. Being told it's so simple to do stuff and everytime I try I find out there is a bazillion other things need to be done first.

Yeah... easier.

Also the timeline is shot to hell. I dunno what comes before or after what. I've driven back the legion... but then they are all over the broken shore and I can push them back there? Whhaa?

You know what is easier imo? Doing it when it's relevent (even if it takes longer), because you know where it fits and you've likely got the pre-requisite beforehand without even having to try.

Consider it not like everyone else had to do, it's like being thrown in the deep end of the pool and being told to swim.
@Dacien: Yes, easier... as in no reputation based time gating in Suramar quest lines, as in more sources of reputation than in the past, level 110 boost available, etc... and very soon also the ability to level above 110, which will further simplify things. It is easier today than a year ago and it will be even easier in about two weeks.

And despite those things, there were thousands of void elves just a few days into February.
It is indeed a far more tedious grind for a new player. Experienced players are used to grinds or have done them all and the mindset just doesn’t fit a new player, hence you get stupid answers like “play the game”, “do the work”, “it is like it is” and such.
It’s probably too hard for those players, especially the ones on these forums, to give you a straight answer or , in this case, a confirmation that playing this game as a new player is absolutely unappealing, unless grinding endlessly and not moving on with the crowd is your thing.

Of course, you have to start somewhere and maybe it was a better idea to save your boost for later, but that is from an experienced player’s PoV.
The way things get thrown at you before you even start playing you’re given the impression you’re ready to go and catchup on the latest minor things when boosting a character. I can see how this happens.

Experienced players expect you to have gathered all the info from the internet, before you buy the game, so you know what to expect....., totally going passed the point that when they started the game themselves, that info was perhaps not even half in volume as it is now.
A new player awaits a lot more work and instead of lending a helping hand, these forummers decide to send you off with before mentioned remarks.

Putting myself in your shoes, I wouldn’t know where to start. But, flying isn’t the biggest concern for now. Treasure chests on Broken Isle are fairly easy to obtain, even without flying. And with the mage tower up as it is, there should be more of them too. Chests are only good for shards and resources. You get them quick, though.

You can do your class hall missions without flying too. Granted, flying makes things a lot easier, but it’s all possible to do without. Order hall missions are easy to do too and your champions unlock easy. Just go for the orange questmarks.

As far as BfA content at launch as a new player at this stage, I think it’s wise to concentrate on your current class and the gameworld first, before getting into BfA content. Not only to get to know the game better, but also to be better prepared for the next thing coming.
It’s a task, I know, a task most current players don’t wanna do over, might their accounts get destroyed.

If you need information about the game and the content, Wowhead is your friend. Don’t use these forums too much. It’s a toxic place which only makes you dislike the game.

Find a guild that helps new players to get things done. That’s much more effective than browsing the forums.
26/07/2018 12:14Posted by Trelw
@Dacien: Yes, easier... as in no reputation based time gating in Suramar quest lines, as in more sources of reputation than in the past, level 110 boost available, etc... and very soon also the ability to level above 110, which will further simplify things. It is easier today than a year ago and it will be even easier in about two weeks.

And despite those things, there were thousands of void elves just a few days into February.

Of which many were likely able to get without even knowing about the pre-requisites and just were able to get them through just repeated play. I.e. without even thinking about it too much (have seen many a person say that themselves here).

That is the big difference in my mind, it's a mindset. If you just get stuff arbitrarily as you play coz that is the option open to you are the time and it's just something to do. So the pre-requisite is fulfilled without even knowing about it.

That is what makes things easier imo. And it's also easier to swallow rather than trying to take it all in one huge chunk.

Also why I personally don't have a problem with timegating on relevant content.

List of what I have to do again all at once -

1) Grind rep
2) Unlock flying
3) Company board
4) Unlock followers
5) Story Quests (which are totally disjointed)
6) Explore every zone
7) level followers
8) gear followers
9) Class Quests

So yes it may be easier, that doesn't diminish this huge list of pre-requisite we have to go through all at once. See why bit by bit is easier to swallow? Also this is Legion content not BfA which will come with it's own list.

I think the entire problem comes from the fact that the allied races come with BFA which is a new expansion.

As someone who came back to WoW in Feb and have exalted on 5 chars with every race for toys / mounts I also believe that the requirements for the allied races were simply too high when they were released. So yes, a lot of us slogged through to get the requirements done over time but it should never have been this rough (I am saying this as someone who grinded rank 13 in Vanilla by the way, check this char). New players who won't have played this expansion will have to go back and redo a lot of old content, which honestly just feels terrible to do, just to unlock some races that were supposed to come with the NEW expansion. New players also won't have flying in Legion, which makes everything even worse.

Now compare this situation to someone who first joined in BFA, and whined that getting the Warden toy or Valajar mount was too tough. We can all agree that this would be ridiculous, because this is OLD content, gated behind old grinding mechanisms. But BFA allied races are supposed to be new content, coming with the NEW expansion, which makes the requirement of old time gated content seem ridiculous.

Luckily for OP, the argus reps are the easiest to get for new players. The two weekly spaceship quests give 2000 rep, and the world quests even drop rep tokens. Another positive is that the Order hall class reputation tokens are locked behind the argus questline at the moment, and they give a sure 1000 rep if you do them. So I advise planning for getting your followers to ilvl 925 / 950 asap. There are a lot of good guides on how to do this. Generally it takes me 2-3 weeks depending on luck to get followers to 925.

But wow, do I dread new players having to do the Suramar quests and rep.

26/07/2018 12:20Posted by Dacien

Of which many were likely able to get without even knowing about the pre-requisites and just were able to get them through just repeated play. I.e. without even thinking about it too much (have seen many a person say that themselves here).

That is the big difference in my mind, it's a mindset. If you just get stuff arbitrarily as you play coz that is the option open to you are the time and it's just something to do. So the pre-requisite is fulfilled without even knowing about it.

That is what makes things easier imo. And it's also easier to swallow rather than trying to take it all in one huge chunk.

Also why I personally don't have a problem with timegating on relevant content.

List of what I have to do again all at once -

1) Grind rep
2) Unlock flying
3) Company board
4) Unlock followers
5) Story Quests (which are totally disjointed)
6) Explore every zone
7) level followers
8) gear followers
9) Class Quests

So yes it may be easier, that doesn't diminish this huge list of pre-requisite we have to go through all at once. See why bit by bit is easier to swallow? Also this is Legion content not BfA which will come with it's own list.

I believe Dacien makes a really good point. Just by playing Legion, without even TRYING to grind rep. Just by playing and doing the AP grind or W/E players would have been close to the required reputation, without EVEN trying. I also think this is why people who played Legion from the beginning just do not ''get it''. They never suddenly had to grind everything from scratch which takes MONTHS of OLD content, to unlock BFA content.

New players do not have that luxury.
problem i see with a lot of the posts in this thread is that they dont really specify if all their opinions are directed to really new players or players that just came back.

if they are really new players that just started wow i dont see what the problem is,there is a whole wide world for them to see and quest in.
imho it would'nt be good for them to start at level 20,new player skipping 20 levels of being a newbie? nope that is not the way to start a new mmo.

now if we talking about players that like me skipped some expansions or quit early in legion well you got your work cut out for you (INB4 wow isnt supposed to be work blah blah)

i have both alied races unlocked on the aliance side and i didnt even grind for it,eventually i got it.
for those that down have it yet well you better get started,here check this out:

https://worldofwarcraft.com/en-us/

timer at the bottom,currently at 18 days and 10 hours which is more than enough time to get it done,if you leave the forums that is...

complaining about it wont get your rep magically leveled,but i guess asking for handouts is a thing with this generation of gamers *shrug*

i came back to the game late in legion and i did miss mop and wod and i just made peace with the fact that i did miss alot of things.
if i wanted to get some of those things i would have to do the work,it is as easy as that.
26/07/2018 12:35Posted by Ðuracell
if they are really new players that just started wow i dont see what the problem is,there is a whole wide world for them to see and quest in.
imho it would'nt be good for them to start at level 20,new player skipping 20 levels of being a newbie? nope that is not the way to start a new mmo.

now if we talking about players that like me skipped some expansions or quit early in legion well you got your work cut out for you (INB4 wow isnt supposed to be work blah blah)

If asking for things to be simplified is "asking for a handout" then I dunno what your definition of it is, but its not the same as mine.

Also you are aware most classes don't even work till past level 20 right? Hell I couldn't even get hot streak until lvl 14 and even then it's pure RNG as to if I got it or not. Many a time I would get 1, but never a 2nd, its rare. Also in that case it could've just been "get to level 20". not saying it should be that easy but that would just totally negate your point.

also those quests really are just "go here, kill these things, come back". It's not interesting or something you can get interested in when you know you've gotta do it over and over and over again.
26/07/2018 12:43Posted by Dacien
also those quests really are just "go here, kill these things, come back". It's not interesting or something you can get interested in when you know you've gotta do it over and over and over again.

^^ basic definition of a mmorpg,good job.

If asking for things to be simplified is "asking for a handout" then I dunno what your definition of it is, but its not the same as mine..

yep,i call it a handout.
let's look at the facts,ok?
people interested in the expansion and who are not lazy and like to read upon the features that said expansion includes read up on all the information available.
so we all had the information on what was required of us to be able to access said alied races,if we wanted the races we completed those requirements.

people who refuse to do so are asking now to have it unlocked with no requirements or to make it easier just because they refused to do it.

so...yeah sorry i call that a prime example of wanting a handout.

Also you are aware most classes don't even work till past level 20 right? Hell I couldn't even get hot streak until lvl 14 and even then it's pure RNG as to if I got it or not. Many a time I would get 1, but never a 2nd, its rare. Also in that case it could've just been "get to level 20". not saying it should be that easy but that would just totally negate your point.

dont work? hmm is it like a bug where you cant press keys?
you start an mmo and of course you character doesnt ''work'',its like me starting in swg with a rusted knife and busted blaster,not op at the start i am a nobody with no skills,no talents,zilch nada zip nothing.
^^ basic definition of a mmorpg,good job.

[quote]

you start an mmo and of course you character doesnt ''work'',its like me starting in swg with a rusted knife and busted blaster,not op at the start i am a nobody with no skills,no talents,zilch nada zip nothing.

Well no if you consider like in my example you need hot streaks to proc your heavy hitter, except it doesn't.

So I'm sure you have heard the mobs are alot stronger than they used to be and you can see the problem. Also it takes quite a few quests to level with no looms, I know, I had to do it.

So can keep your snark to yourself, unless you actually have something constructive to say. Since enemies scale you never progress beyond that "rusted knife, busted blaster" start. Until you finally hit legion ofc, then all of a sudden things actually get easier oddly enough.

also if you are saying classic questing is on the same level as Legions then you are a liar.
26/07/2018 12:59Posted by Dacien

Well no if you consider like in my example you need hot streaks to proc your heavy hitter, except it doesn't.

So I'm sure you have heard the mobs are alot stronger than they used to be and you can see the problem. Also it takes quite a few quests to level with no looms, I know, I had to do it.

So can keep your snark to yourself, unless you actually have something constructive to say. Since enemies scale you never progress beyond that "rusted knife, busted blaster" start. Until you finally hit legion ofc, then all of a sudden things actually get easier oddly enough.

also if you are saying classic questing is on the same level as Legions then you are a liar.

just finished leveling my shaman and im leveling my dk at the moment.
i welcome the changes,to long the game has gone with one shot kills,zerg mentality when running dungeons and insane ammount of xp in dungeons.

hope to see you folks reaching for your cc key,that is if you remember where it is.

p.s. i blame blizzard,they spoiled you guys for way to long,glad to see they going back to their roots.
26/07/2018 12:05Posted by Dacien

Ikr, I've only had to endure broken leveling and questing, giving up and boosting, only to get pelted with quests I dunno what to do with. Being told it's so simple to do stuff and everytime I try I find out there is a bazillion other things need to be done first.

Yeah... easier.

Also the timeline is shot to hell. I dunno what comes before or after what. I've driven back the legion... but then they are all over the broken shore and I can push them back there? Whhaa?

You know what is easier imo? Doing it when it's relevent (even if it takes longer), because you know where it fits and you've likely got the pre-requisite beforehand without even having to try.

Consider it not like everyone else had to do, it's like being thrown in the deep end of the pool and being told to swim.

have you ever considered not playing a game you don't seem to like any aspects of?
<span class="truncated">...</span>

i welcome the changes,to long the game has gone with one shot kills,zerg mentality when running dungeons and insane ammount of xp in dungeons.

hope to see you folks reaching for your cc key,that is if you remember where it is.

p.s. i blame blizzard,they spoiled you guys for way to long,glad to see they going back to their roots.

Didn't spoil me at all, seems to me it's people like yourself who got their fill of the easy levels and now say "ohhhh yeah this is now how everyone should do it". It's hypocrisy.

CC key... yes my frost nova... except by the time I can cc everything I had taken a few hits and running away triggered more so I had no CC. Polymorph was only good on a caster with a pet. Have a room with 3 of them? Yeah no chance am surviving that.

Had a guy 4 hit me with a staff... Yeah so fair.
26/07/2018 13:15Posted by Dacien

Didn't spoil me at all, seems to me it's people like yourself who got their fill of the easy levels and now say "ohhhh yeah this is now how everyone should do it". It's hypocrisy.

and hating every minute of it,no heirlooms and still the leveling just felt wrong.
3 or 4 days for 1 to 110? are you kidding me?
yeah sorry bud blizz has seen the light and now leveling (still to fast for my taste) has been normalised.

complain all you want,no handouts for alied races rep and leveling now is close to where it is supposed to be.
26/07/2018 13:22Posted by Ðuracell

and hating every minute of it,no heirlooms and still the leveling just felt wrong.
yeah sorry bud blizz has seen the light and now leveling (still to fast for my taste) has been normalised.

complain all you want,no handouts for alied races rep and leveling now is close to where it is supposed to be.

you say that but you did it anyway.

Difference here is when people are hating it they quit and stop. Did it stop you? Doesn't look like it, you took your fill dispite hating it.

Good you have the 6th sense to see how things will be in the future tho. Am sure you are 100% correct in your predication that leveling won't be changed again. Even tho many many people are saying "done it once not doing it again"... hmmm sure. We'll see how long it lasts.
26/07/2018 13:22Posted by Ðuracell

you say that but you did it anyway.

Difference here is when people are hating it they quit and stop. Did it stop you? Doesn't look like it, you took your fill dispite hating it.

Good you have the 6th sense to see how things will be in the future tho. Am sure you are 100% correct in your predication that leveling won't be changed again :P

i wanted to level those characters so i just made peace with the fact that leveling was messed up and did it anyway.
now with my dk it is different it is the way its supposed to be,no more one shotting mobs and now i actualy enjoy tanking with my dk.

but keep on asking for handouts when it comes to reputations and insta leveling,im sure blizz is seriously considering your ideas *runs to the corner and starts laughing*

off to level my dk,ill pop in once in a while to see if you sent a letter to the vatican asking for no requirements on alied races.
i had to level those characters so i just made peace with the fact that leveling was messed up and did it anyway.
now with my dk it is different it is the way its supposed to be,no more one shotting mobs and now i actualy enjoy tanking with my dk.

but keep on asking for handouts and insta leveling,im sure blizz is seriously considering your ideas *runs to the corner and starts laughing*

off to level my dk,ill pop in once in a while to see if you sent a letter to the vatican asking for no requirements on alied races.

"Had to" surrrreee. *dies laughing*

You are the one saying "insta leveling" and things. Don't think I said anything like it, seems to me you are putting words into my mouth to make your point.

Which is kinda telling tbh :P

I love this community, there is no such thing as ration thinking or middle ground. No it HAS to be one or the other xD

Fyi I agree leveling shouldn't be too easy, but I also think it shouldn't be disheartening and laborious. It's not fun, the old quest zones will never be "fun", your character never will go beyond a newbie until you hit the current content. Until then you do nothing to improve (coz scaling) so it's just one long grind, getting nothing out of it except saving some money on a boost.

When difficulty goes like tedious > more tedious > even more tedious > tedious extreme > oh now you can have fun then something is wrong. As much as you would like everything to be designed around your personal taste you must also know that MMO's need an influx of players too. Great way to welcome them by just giving grinds for days. For you it might be fine coz you've got alot of free time to get stuff done in between your current stuff.

And yes I hate level scaling in any game, if I wanna be super over leveled for an area I should be allowed to be. Coz we all know how people love the oblivion system of everything scaling with you, except at least there you got good loot for your effort. Or is that ok now it's blizzard?