Graphics Settings Reset for No Reason

Technical Support
Since the first release of BfA client,
Every time you guys release a patch, all in-game graphics settings and advanced settings tab reset, this happened in Beta and PTR too, but I guess it slipped past devs' attention, considering all the other -more important ;)- complaints... (both system-wise and content-wise)

This might also be the reason of FPS drops that people experience every time a new patch drops.

This is not such big deal, I can set them every time you guys release a patch, but it also shouldn't be something that happens. That's why I felt obligated to report this.

A long time fanatic of this game.
Nezih.
Me too! I have made a ticket. Glad (in a way) I'm not alone.

I can't be 100% certain, but I think it is happening when the game client gets an update through the battle.net launcher. Clearly it is either deleting some of our saved variables or overwriting them.

Annoying as hell though.
Yep same here and it's reaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaally annoying to have to go through setting custom stuff again and again.
It appears that 'each server reset' or update now resets the graphics for me.

I hope there will be a fix to this soon so we don't have to go through setting graphics up manually.
Having the same issue, several settings keep getting reset:

- Chat settings (Keep getting /1, /2 and /3 being disabled).
- Max foreground fps keeps getting reset to 100.
same here also i have instant fps drops...

my graphic settings just resetted 30 minutes ago suddenly and now got fps drops

anyone?
Yup, found a few threads about this so far so we're definitely not alone.
Seems to reset the gfx settings to the recommended ones after patches are pushed.
It's getting really annoying tbh.
Mine too is resetting. Has been for a while. It's getting very, VERY annoying. It's even reverting my choise of DirX12 back to DirX11 - so I have to bloody restart the game!

Will I need to blindly replace the config.wtf file with an old one after every patch to avoid this?
Mine as well. DX12 reverts to DX11 & all my settings revert from graphics quality 10 to 7.
Mine keep on resetting also
If you have NVIDIA GeForce Experience installed, it may be resetting your graphics to what it thinks your card can handle. I'm not sure if this is the main cause, but for those with Experience it is part of it.
25/07/2018 20:10Posted by Bawiea
If you have NVIDIA GeForce Experience installed, it may be resetting your graphics to what it thinks your card can handle. I'm not sure if this is the main cause, but for those with Experience it is part of it.

It's all good, but that didn't happen with live client. (I remember how my pc reacted every single legion patch, and I'm always up-to-date driver-wise.)

-Though you made me think if that is true, so I genuinely and sincerely thank you for that.

25/07/2018 14:20Posted by Runechampion
Having the same issue, several settings keep getting reset:

- Chat settings (Keep getting /1, /2 and /3 being disabled).
- Max foreground fps keeps getting reset to 100.

Also this wouldn't happen if the problem's source was GeForce Experience.
Happens for me too.

The other issue is that the current default setting are way to high for a 5k screen.

I am playing on MacOS with a iMac 5k late 2014 and the graphic settings reset to 5 with a render scale of 100% (fullscreen windowed with locked 5k resolution) with every patch.

As far as I remember when render scale was first introduced the default value was 50% on my 5k screen. That makes more sense as it was probably added because of performance issues when playing on the default resolution of 4k/5k screens.

Edit: Other than that I like the current performance of the game. Feels like it is running more fluent and with higher fps on the same settings as before the patch :)
Happening to me as well, - Max foreground fps keeps getting reset to 100 and window size keeps getting reset to custom.
Same here.
Hey folks,

ummm what can I say: Me too! :/ , no jokes, mine resets at home as well. Dabbled a bit around on this one and this is what seems to kept it on the settings:

*login to your Launcher please and on the top left corner click on the "Blizzard" icon
*go into Settings please and there if you can see at the bottom "Beta" option
*if you ran the Beta version of the Launcher try to "Switch to Standard Version"
*relog back to WOW make the settings change back again, save and exit the game and the launcher
*relog back and check if the previous settings are there or not.

If this solves it, happy days, if not then I would try a Battle.net Cache deletion to see if that refreshes anything and keeps the save settings

Hope this helps as hands-down this is a frustrating issue
The cause of this problem in my case was a "rogue" Config.wtf file in the main WoW directory (C:\Program Files (x86)\World of Warcraft\Config.wtf) that was reloaded every restart of the game instead of the proper file inside the C:\Program Files (x86)\World of Warcraft\WTF\ directory. So not a Config.wtf in the usual directory but in the main directory where wow.exe is.

Deleting this file fixed the problem.

I would assume you could look around if there are any additional config.wtf files that load instead of the proper one and mess up with your settings.

Hope this helps. :D

I secretly hope Blizzard does a utility that removes all the "junk" that is slowly building up in our WoW folder. ;)