Concerning Shiny Pet Charms

Pet Battles
tl;dr
Suggestion: Give GM:s authority to offer a one-time visit per account to the old Shiny Pet Charms vendor selling Ultimate Battle-Training Stones as if you visited the vendor before 8.0.

I have a tradition of catching up on archaeology, quests, secrets explorations and all other time consuming achievements during the end of an expansion. One of these categories of achievements are the pet battle ones. I don't like to level pets. Instead I opted to farm those Shiny Pet Charms which can be used to buy Ultimate Battle-Training stones. For the past year I have done all the pet battle garrison missions every day on 12 characters. I have had the battle pet shoulder enchant on all of them. In total I had over 4500 charms in my bags the day before the pre-expansion patch. That is AFTER buying all the current pets and toys available.

During Draenor and at the start of Legion I used my Shiny Pet Charms as soon as I earned them. But I learned that it was wise to hold on to them as new pets and toys were introduced regularly with new patches and expansions.

Last week I found out that Shiny Pet Charms can no longer be used to buy Ultimate Battle-Training Stones! I opened a ticket in hopes of getting a one-time trade where I could exchange my charms for training stones, as if I had the information before the pre-expansion patch. The GM wouldn't help me and instead encouraged me to fight this elsewhere...

I have farmed Shiny Pet Charms HARD for the sole purpose of not having to level battle pets manually. I only held on to the charms until now because the game has TAUGHT ME THAT I SHOULD!

It's not like I didn't try to inform myself. I read an article on wowhead.com (http://www.wowhead.com/what-to-do-before-battle-for-azeroth) and I watched a handful of videos on what to do before the pre-patch arrived. NO ONE mentioned this change. Only on dedicated pet battle sites was this information readily presented. I don't do pet battles that often. I only do them for the achievements, hence I don't visit those sites regularly

This whole situation is like having a job for a year, and suddenly you don't get any payment what-so-ever, and no means of appeal, because you missed a meeting no one told you about where information was given about a policy change that require you to hand in your working hours report BEFORE the end of the month, which you never have needed to do before in all the years working there. On the contrary, the administrators has specifically said to you that they prefer to get the reports after the end of the month so they don't have to do any changes in-case you get sick on any of the last days.

In fairness, there should be a gracing mechanic for people in my situation.

To any employee working with the support of World of Warcraft that has any authority in this matter: Please, please, please, please!!! I have lost hundreds of hours of progression in a single stroke that I don't know how I could have prevented. I DID try to inform myself on important changes. Please give the GM:s a policy where they can help people in my situation through a ticket were they can offer a one-time exchange per account as if you visited the vendor before 8.0!
The devs already responsed on it

https://blue.mmo-champion.com/topic/1097258-dear-devs-re-pet-charms/
The new currency was announced so I'm afraid nobody can or will help you in this case, sadly.
You're in luck though; this week is pet battle week and all pets receive 200% exp. You can level up your pets to max in up to 3 fights per pet in pandaria with the tamer dailies.
There are plenty of guides on how to tackle the fights if you haven't tried yet, and all the tamers are able to be beaten with 2 level 25 pets.
Outland and Northrend don't give as much exp for yur pets but are a nice addition if you're serious about leveling. And if you do it on a character that's not max level yet you get the additional exp from completing the quests.
Since they missed to state the change in the patch notes they should give people in my situation a one-time chance to visit the vendor as before the patch.

Stating that many reported on this change still means that some will miss the information. And for those people, like me, a grace mechanic should be in place to make up for this.

Ivydoom:
Sure I can still get these achievements done. But I've lost 100 - ONE HUNDRED - leveling stones from level 1 to 25 due to bad luck (watched the "wrong" youtubes and read up on a guide on wowhead that didn't mention the change) and, primarily, sub-optimal communication from Blizzard, which they admit to! Not giving any way at all of sorting this out in this situation isn't fair by any stretch of the imagination.
Boy, you must feel stupid now :-) I bought hundreds of leveling stones, so I'm set for whole BfA.
Stupid isn't the right word. Stupid is when you land on a bad outcome due to lack of wisdom or intelligence. The thing is, I DID read the patch notes. I DID read the "What to do before Battle for Azeroth" guide on wowhead. I also watched interviews with Ion Hazzikostas and other general preparation guides on YouTube. NONE of them mentioned this change, hence some special consideration should in fairness sake be had in this situation.

I've farmed these charms since WoD. That's a several year grind with no pay-off due to one tiny bit of information that wasn't as readily available as it should.
You had no reason not to buy the epic stones.

The reason you were saving them as you’ve said is because new pets and toys are released every expansion. This change was to prevent stockpiling charms earned from previous content.

Look at the positives you’re gonna have a lot of fun doing all the new pet content in bfa.
Not true, Rosqu. The purpose was also to have a large quantity of stones to instant level-up pets while doing the pet battle achievements in Legion where you need to defeat opponents with a team of same-type pets.

It's also the completionist in me intending to level all my pets to level 25, some day within the next ten years.

I farmed these Shiny Pet Charms to get Ultimate Battle-Training Stones. I only held on from buying them as new pets and toys were bound to be introduced.

These two reasons are as large, or larger than that of getting new pets and toys, as I'd farm for those with a new currency anyway.

This is the last video I watched from a designated pet battle channel before I took my break:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ppxbPiv0v9A

In the video Blizzard employees clearly states that the current design choice, at that time, was to keep the possibility to buy upgrade items for Shiny Pet Charms. Coming back, before the pre-patch launched, I read the patch notes and the "What to do before Battle for Azeroth" on wowhead.com. This change of design was mentioned NOWHERE!!!

What this leaves me with is countless hours - three years! - of grinding amounting to nothing. Every reasonably precaution was taken. How can I walk away from this with any other feeling than this whole situation is soul crushingly unfair!?

What is the lesson to be learned here?

• "It's not enough to play the game and read the patch notes."
  • "You are expected to follow Blizzard on twitter, read several articles and guides on both wowhead.com and mmo-champion.com, follow at least two youtubers on every designated aspect of the game that you participate in, follow posts on both Warcraft US forums and Reddit, etc..."
  • "You need to spend more time reading about coming changes to WoW, not just to have a better standing by the value of increased knowledge, but to prevent yourself from loosing years of progression - because if you fall short in any potential regard - even if things turns out the opposite way than was first announced, and this change isn't stated in the patch notes - the damage is irreversible."
Honestly though, wowhead had a huge article on the frontpage about the changes to charms. If you say you have been visiting wowhead, then I don't really understand how you missed that article.
Sometimes you're just unlucky.
There's lots of stuff I would like to have that is no longer obtainable in-game. But that for me is no reason to complain because it was my own choice to not start playing wow until 2 years ago.
You will just have to suck it up you missed that article and now have so many useless charms. Don't misunderstand this statement for me not caring.
Nothing to say, really. It is unfair, and it was badly done.
02/08/2018 18:50Posted by Urzula

During Draenor and at the start of Legion I used my Shiny Pet Charms as soon as I earned them. But I learned that it was wise to hold on to them as new pets and toys were introduced regularly with new patches and expansions.

Your intention was to use old games redundant charms you have saved up to give advantage across expansions to give yourself an gain over other players. This did not work in you favour because Blizzard publicly make changes well publicised to all pet battlers. Just do it the old fashioned way or buy maxed pets from the AH or level them up its fair straight froward way but battling it would take a couple of weeks max. This change has long been coming and over due. its refreshing and prevents player stockpiling the better pets taking advantage of new players.
Hello there,
it seems that Broken Shore WQs are able to grant stones again. The Charms are the Shiny ones, though.

I hope you've found a time to catch up thanks to Sign of the Critter.
Moreover, tomorrow there is conjunction of this event with Squirt the Wandering Trainer (Menagerie encounter) which allows to level any pet in 2 battles with a Safari Hat.

Darkmoon Top Hat (but no WHEE!) also provides bonus exp so if you happen to collect rep or level an alt, you can keep this in mind aswell.

In case you still have a problem poke me at Discord: Remte-EU#8485, I might come up with something :)

Your intention was to use old games redundant charms you have saved up to give advantage across expansions to give yourself an gain over other players. This did not work in you favour because Blizzard publicly make changes well publicised to all pet battlers. Just do it the old fashioned way or buy maxed pets from the AH or level them up its fair straight froward way but battling it would take a couple of weeks max. This change has long been coming and over due. its refreshing and prevents player stockpiling the better pets taking advantage of new players.

I don't disagree with the change itself. The issue I take is that even though a person like me that TRIED to inform myself gets NO consideration when the consequence is loosing progression equating to, as you said, weeks of farming.

My intention as to farm Shiny Pet Charms was primarily that I don't think it's fun to level up battle pets, hence collecting charms was both more efficient and honestly more fun. The reason I SAVED them was the one you stated, as I have learned through playing the game for years, that saving them was the wise thing to do. I wasn't in a hurry to level up the pets either as that was needed not until I was about to do the achievements.

If I had that information I'd have 100 battle pets extra at level 25. That advantage while doing pet battle achievements in BfA is huge, and one I quite frankly worked very hard to get! But now, due to one single little information that I TRIED to find (as from the perspective of not knowing what I was looking for) I have in effect done all those YEARS of farming for NOTHING!!!
05/08/2018 09:43Posted by Remte
Hello there,
it seems that Broken Shore WQs are able to grant stones again. The Charms are the Shiny ones, though.

I hope you've found a time to catch up thanks to Sign of the Critter.
Moreover, tomorrow there is conjunction of this event with Squirt the Wandering Trainer (Menagerie encounter) which allows to level any pet in 2 battles with a Safari Hat.

Darkmoon Top Hat (but no WHEE!) also provides bonus exp so if you happen to collect rep or level an alt, you can keep this in mind aswell.

In case you still have a problem poke me at Discord: Remte-EU#8485, I might come up with something :)

Thanks so much for this kind offer! But to me, right now, this discussion is more about the unfairness of loosing years of farming solely due to not knowing about a change NOT stated in the patch notes.

What I will do is postpone the Legion pet battle achievement until the end of Battle for Azeroth, when I hopefully have more leveled pets and some Ultimate Battle-Training Stones. My plan was initially to take two full days of just doing the Legendary battle pet bosses on Argus with teams of single-type teams, by reading up on guides, and level up the pets I needed with the stones. (Hence why I farmed those Shiny Pet Charms so hard.)

As I said: I'm not a pet battler per se, but an achievement hunter and a completionist. Now, the weeks before BfA, I'll spend my time doing Naxt Victim (all Sentinax Lieutenant), the dungeon achievements I still lack, and the professions achievement, including fishing and archaeology.
04/08/2018 14:33Posted by Ivydoom
Honestly though, wowhead had a huge article on the frontpage about the changes to charms. If you say you have been visiting wowhead, then I don't really understand how you missed that article.
Sometimes you're just unlucky.
There's lots of stuff I would like to have that is no longer obtainable in-game. But that for me is no reason to complain because it was my own choice to not start playing wow until 2 years ago.
You will just have to suck it up you missed that article and now have so many useless charms. Don't misunderstand this statement for me not caring.

I have "lost" many things through the years in WoW due to stuff and mechanics becoming unavailable. For example: The PVP reputations could be leveled with marks in WotLK, that I missed to farm then, which now takes AGES to complete. I missed to complete the Karazhan legendary staff that teleports you right in front of the instance (a hard loss), I have missed to do the Brawl in time. The list is long...

I'm not complaining about those times because this time there is a KEY difference... This time I farmed an item with a specific purpose in mind and handled the currency to the best of my knowledge. Then, after three years, a change came, that wasn't announced in the patch notes, that doesn't make me miss something - because I haven't actually lost the ability to get 100 more battle pets to level 100 - but a change that makes ALL THAT TIME INVESTED worthless, and ONLY because I didn't know about it. Everyone else that knew HAVE used their Shiny Pet Charms. It's not that I was stripped from an unfair advantage from everyone else. It's that I didn't get the SAME advantage as everyone else due to this information not reaching me in time.

For the game world itself it wouldn't be any special advantages to just let a GM help me. The GM could remove 4500 Shiny Pet Charms from my bags and mail me 100 Ultimate Battle-Training Stones. Because that would be exactly what I'd have now if I read about this change IN THE PATCH NOTES. So my frustration isn't so much about the change itself (actually I think it's a good one); it's not about the slip-up of missing to write it in the patch notes; what I think is unfair to the core of my soul is that GM:s isn't allowed to assist me in this case.

My hopes is that Blizzard can see how this situation differs from other similar ones, and allows for a one-time transaction, through a GM or other means, with the old charms vendor. Just because they forgot to mention this in the patch notes.
04/08/2018 15:29Posted by Gráinne
Nothing to say, really. It is unfair, and it was badly done.

Thanks for the empathy! I hope Blizzard takes the chance to make up for this with an one-time chance to exchange Shiny Pet Charms acquired before the patch with the old vendor sold.
I knew I'd seen it somewhere, but looked for it in the wrong places. Here's the US thread:
https://us.battle.net/forums/en/wow/topic/20766826850

This is an older discussion of the subject here:
https://eu.battle.net/forums/en/wow/topic/17620142157
I have about 4k of those... :(
06/08/2018 16:06Posted by Galander
I have about 4k of those... :(

I feel your pain. Did you also read the patch notes? How did you miss this information, Galander? Did you have a break?
06/08/2018 13:34Posted by Gráinne
I knew I'd seen it somewhere, but looked for it in the wrong places. Here's the US thread:
https://us.battle.net/forums/en/wow/topic/20766826850

This is an older discussion of the subject here:
https://eu.battle.net/forums/en/wow/topic/17620142157

Great digging, Gráinne!

The first discussion you linked sums up pretty well where I stand. I can feel curtain that Blizzard has received the criticism I have. The other post is about the change itself - which I personally don't have a problem with at all - I only disagree with the lack of information, and primarily the lack of willingness to help were the information about the change hasn't gotten through.

The answer from Blizzard in the first post is that they acknowledge that they made a mistake by forgetting to write the information in the patch notes. The right thing to do then, knowing they did wrong, is not just to "learn from this mistake" - as the consequence for people like me and Galander equates to countless of hours farming that resulted in NO gain, while at the same time, everyone else that got lucky to receive the message in time and did the same amount of farming got to keep ALL of their progression.

The right thing to do is to compensate for that mistake, to hone it! The right thing to do is, when people open a ticket for help, to check the logs how many Shiny Pet Charms they had the day before the patch and give as many Ultimate Battle-Training Stones that could've been bought that day. Period.