Concerning Shiny Pet Charms

Pet Battles
You made a time investment and then failed to protect it adequately by not taking the requisite steps.
Your own method of keeping all of your charms and not spending them has result in you loosing out. There wasn’t anything preventing you stockpiling some stones but you put all you charms in one basket so to speak.
"You made a time investment and then failed to protect it adequately by not taking the requisite steps."

This is an awesome blanket statement that can be used in all cases where something bad has happened that could have been prevented. It's one way of describing what has happened. But it's not a counter argument to any of the issues raised. The devil's in the details. This is the first and only time where I went to the forums to try and start a conversation with the intent to help fix something in the game. But it's far from the first time where I have lost a lot of things due to design changes, for over a decade of playing this game.

Blizzard isn't an insurance company that tries to protect their assets in this case. It's not like if people in my situation would gain the Ultimate Battle-Stones in exchange for our charms, that it would somehow be at the expense of the game experience for anyone else, or hurt the Blizzard as company in any way. If a reasonable argument can be made - which it can in this case - that something in their service of their game is lacking, or that something in their design has left something to be desired, then it's in their interest to take action to make their product better.

This is the one thing that has damaged my trust in this game - by a huge margin - because it left me with the sensation that what I invest in this game doesn't matter to the designers. That's the worst sin a maker for an MMO can make. No one wants to invest if you don't feel protected against sudden and, from your perspective unknown, losses. Willingness to invest yourself in this world is the fuel that drives everything for World of Warcraft.

Restoring what was invested would neither be against the intention of the game design - because I couldn't image that the explicit intention was that some people should miss this information and lose the ability to buy pet upgrade items with their Shiny Pet Charms - nor be an unfair advantage in the game world.

Are you saying that it was indeed a proper way to implement this change? Why then? This has consumed a lot of my waking hours for weeks, and I'd gladly put this matter to rest if you present a reasonable counter argument to the issues raised on the first post here: https://us.battle.net/forums/en/wow/topic/20766826850
25th May was when the change was advised. Here’s a forum post about it on US. https://us.battle.net/forums/en/wow/topic/20765126325?page=1

Easy enough to find if I’d spent 3 years grinding pet charms it would be something I made sure I knew.

You stockpiled charms to bypass content otherwise you’d have already be sat on a pile of ultimate battle stones. Fair enough previously it may have worked but it doesn’t really seem right for someone to sit on currency ready for another expansion.

You missed the changes and unfortunately can only purchase old pet rewards with your old currency now
Lots of Blizzard apologists in here. Long story short. They !@#$ed over their customers.
26/08/2018 18:26Posted by Rosqo
25th May was when the change was advised. Here’s a forum post about it on US. https://us.battle.net/forums/en/wow/topic/20765126325?page=1

Yes. That's one additional source that everyone that wasn't informed missed. How were they suppose to know that this post was there to be found in the first place?

Easy enough to find if I’d spent 3 years grinding pet charms it would be something I made sure I knew.

There is no way of knowing what is there to be known if you don't already know about it, at least to some extent.

I had a break from the game for a few months at the end of Legion. I came back four weeks before the pre-patch. My way of protecting myself, as you call it, from something I didn't even know was out there to be concerned about, was checking wowhead a few times a week, watching a handful of "what to do before BfA" videos on YouTube and reading the preparation guide on wowhead. NONE of these sources mentioned this change. Talking to all my guild mates (15+ players); none of them mentioned this either. Two of them also missed this. But they didn't even have a tenth of the amount of charms I had. Lastly I read the patch notes. No smoke was to be seen.

I hadn't done any hard, guide requiring, pet battles for a year. I only farmed those charms to do pet battles later. Hence, I didn't visit any dedicated pet battle sites. I had no reason to. In hindsight I did. But "hindsight" isn't a reasonable request for players to have to get the information they need.

You stockpiled charms to bypass content otherwise you’d have already be sat on a pile of ultimate battle stones. Fair enough previously it may have worked but it doesn’t really seem right for someone to sit on currency ready for another expansion.

I don't disagree with the change. My critique is about the information and the implementation. Do you argue that all Ultimate Battle-Stones should also have been removed at the launch of the pre-patch? Those are/were stockpiled by others - me included, if information about the change was to be found in the patch notes.
26/08/2018 19:32Posted by Isham
Lots of Blizzard apologists in here. Long story short. They !@#$ed over their customers.

It's rectifiable. I like this game. I want it to be the best version of itself that it can be. I still think very highly of the people working on this game. That's why I also think we should still be talking about this, so they get the chance to do the right thing. I expect nothing else, because I hold them to a high standard. They need to adress this with a better post from the developers, where they adress why they won't do anything about this - where "better" means: in a way that restores the notion that they very much do care what people invested their time in when they farmed Shiny Pet Charms to be able to buy pet upgrades - or - even better - actually solves this issue by any of the suggested methods, or an even better one they can come up with themselves.

Everyone makes mistakes. The difference between a quality actor on any market is not the quantity of missteps, and not even how vast they are, but how you go about to resolve those you make and how you learn from them.

You shouldn't have to read post on forums to avoid getting screwed. WoW is a game for casuals too.

They failed to put it in the launcher app or in game, which are the only sources anyone should be required to know concerning this game.
I have spent more time farming Shiny Pet Charms than I have played my favorite game of all time, which is Chrono Trigger for the SNES. A total sum of weeks in real-time, amounting to more charms than those 4k I had in the bag at the time of the patch launch.

I didn't farm those charms because it was particularly fun. I did it because I saw it as an investment. Investing time, doing achievement, felt meaningful to me. Meaning is a stronger motivator than fun. All that work was nullified in a way where I was left feeling cheated; where everyone else that got the information in time, who bought Ultimate-Battle Training Stones, have kept 100% of the value. The response from the developers have been nothing but "you were warned", and then total silence. Now I'm in a place where I cannot get myself to trust investments in this game anymore.

It's not a consequence of the change itself. It's purely the implementation and the management of the aftermath of the issue that arose for me, and others. Some of us actually tried to inform ourselves, from a position where we neither knew what to look for, and that there even was anything critical to be found in the first place. I watched three different patch 8.0 preparation videos on YouTube, I read the preparation guide on wowhead.com, and I read all the patch notes. The information wasn't even hinted at!

I'm sorry to say - to you, the developers of this game - this issue has damaged my love for World of Warcraft, second to nothing else.