'Sylvanas Is a Brilliant Strategist.'

Story
1 2 3 6 Next
Please, after that warbringers, tell me this again with a straight face.

She failed to capture Teldrassil, opting to burn it down instead of taking it, giving her no strategic value whatsoever.

She Failed to kill Malfurion and lost many troops in the Darkshore assault.

And finally, she has lost all moral defence in being the aggressor in the war and weaponizing Azerite first.

Wonder what loot she will drop when she becomes a boss lads?
It's actually worse. Pretty sure the Horde was very close to capturing Teldrassil, but the mean elf said something mean to her so she went "lol !@#$ it burn it down" -_-
31/07/2018 17:01Posted by Ahtuno
She failed to capture Teldrassil, opting to burn it down instead of taking it, giving her no strategic value whatsoever.

A similiar scenario happened in Gilneas, when she was desperate due to the Greymanes' resistance, and just resorted to turning the whole land into a toxic desolation, thus rendering the whole objective of the invasion utterly pointless.
The video was great really, but the BfA storyline just got a tiny bit worse (as far as it was possible)
Delaryn: "there is some good in you, I know it"
Sylvanas: "lol, hold my beer"
This Velf is happy to be Alliance. Gonna kill myself some Belfs next week!
I thought her crappy performance in WC3 established that she's just all that great.
I don't know about a brilliant strategist, since WoW was always a bit all over the place when it came to actual warfare, being more focused on heroes and plot devices than armies and strategies. Which is good and fine, if it's done right.
I find the last development quite a bit out of character though. She had her emotional moments, a lot of them in fact, but she's also been presented as a calculating and practical leader, who will prioritize the ends over the means.
If they at some point want some redeeming moment, I can't imagine how they could pull it off without making the story look like it's on a roller coaster with no tracks.
31/07/2018 17:15Posted by Cheerobase
Delaryn: "there is some good in you, I know it"
Sylvanas: "lol, hold my beer"

It's like if Vader's response to Luke played out like this;

Luke: "I sense the good in you. The conflict."
Vader: *Hops into the AT-AT and drives it into the Endor forest blasting Ewok villages* "THERE IS NO CONFLICT AAAAHHHH"
Well I was always questioning Sylvanas' "tactical genius" but this is pure gold. She can rival Garrosh now as the stupidest strategist.
It's just disappointing. They haven't even given an explanation why the horde followes Sylvanas orders and actions.. I wonder how the horde druids feels about this.
31/07/2018 17:30Posted by Zakkaru
Well I was always questioning Sylvanas' "tactical genius" but this is pure gold. She can rival Garrosh now as the stupidest strategist.

"I was Ranger- general of Silvermoon, I am the one who is driven by pure cold logic. Now watch me as I burn the tree down, because some random night elf was mean to me"
She used it as an opportunity to prove to her enemies that absolutely nobody is safe from her and the Horde when she was challenged that she could not crush the hope of her enemy. What she did was indeed a jerk move, but it was also a message. People are too blinded with rage to even consider what it could mean, rather choosing to jump to conclusions because the story didn't go their way.
31/07/2018 17:36Posted by Aizzan
It's just disappointing. They haven't even given an explanation why the horde followes Sylvanas orders and actions.. I wonder how the horde druids feels about this.

Normally Druids in general are in fact neutral to begin with due their connection to Cenarius Circle. But off course, me as a Horde druid, I do question her path and are as well conflicted.

But then, as much as I prefer peaceful and diplomatic approach, I do follow the warchief with some reluctance. (beside I rather not get on Sylvanas bad side regardless of my epic background as a Horde Hero. She seems be that type who would not hesitate to assassin me if I start to doubt and question her orders and her agenda. )
Please, after that warbringers, tell me this again with a straight face.

She Failed to kill Malfurion and lost many troops in the Darkshore assault.

And finally, she has lost all moral defence in being the aggressor in the war and weaponizing Azerite first.

Wonder what loot she will drop when she becomes a boss lads?

What? She didn't fail to take it, the animated short even said there are only civillians in the tree, she literally killed everyone else there. Under what stupid pre-tenses is this a failure?

Her goal however wasn't to "capture the tree". "Capture the tree" was merely her method of obtaining her goal. Her goal was to crush the hope of the Night Elves. And when she succeeded in what she set out to do and some dumb !@# elf is sitting there like "hurr durr this won't break our hope, you wasted your time", then Sylvanas was all like "Owh yeah? Say bye to your tree."

If there is a 1:1 correlation with things the night elf shouldn't have opened their mouth to say when they're on their knees bleeding, that night elf literally nailed it. If having your own people killed doesn't break your hope, what is the choices before Sylvanas to crush their hope? Only one thing more sacred than your peoples lives in Sylvanas eyes, your tree.

I'm not saying her actions are good, just that your claim that she isn't a good strategist isn't true.

If she isn't a brilliant strategist, how come the alliance thoughts she was sending troops to Silithus and pulled the entire army away from the point she wanted to capture? Your argument holds no weight at all. That cut scene wouldn't even be POSSIBLE, if Sylvanas wasn't a brilliant strategist. The battle was won before the alliance even knew the battle was coming.

That said, what kind of moron taunts their conquerer when they have nothing left to defend with and the civilians all survived.

Even IF Sylvanas is everything the alliance believe (lets assume she is, 100%), that makes the taunt even more ridiculous, because your peoples lives are literally riding on your ability to shut the hell up, and you failed them.

Night Elf Step 1: Ask why you're doing this?
Night Elf Step 2: Cry for your enemy, but not for the fallen dead around you
Night Elf Step 3: Taunt the enemy who holds the existence of your people in their hands

Night elf logic lul

Sure you can be a bellend and try to argue against this but let me ask you this:
A terrorist capture you and your family. You're being executed. Do you taunt them? Or remain silent and hope for the safety of your family?

See how dumb it is now?
Because how brutal Sylvanas actions are don't change how stupid the night elf actions are. Nor do they change that Sylvanas outsmarted them.
Yep, she just threw a very valid and planned assault over petty spite.

Wonder how much of it was a knee-jerk reaction and how much was about sending a message.
Given her recent portrayal under Golden, I’m leaning more towards the first.
But maybe it’s just me and my current disappointment regarding Blizzards story.

Shame.
31/07/2018 17:40Posted by Skrauhg
She used it as an opportunity to prove to her enemies that absolutely nobody is safe from her and the Horde when she was challenged that she could not crush the hope of her enemy. What she did was indeed a jerk move, but it was also a message. People are too blinded with rage to even consider what it could mean, rather choosing to jump to conclusions because the story didn't go their way.

This does make sense, I can't imagine a stronger message than burning Teldrassil.
And as emotional as she is when Nathanos goes "wait what", she does say it's to destroy hope.
31/07/2018 17:09Posted by Arctur

A similiar scenario happened in Gilneas, when she was desperate due to the Greymanes' resistance, and just resorted to turning the whole land into a toxic desolation, thus rendering the whole objective of the invasion utterly pointless.

This is the Forsaken way of war. Gilneas, Southshore, Darnassus.
31/07/2018 17:45Posted by Renaerys
Only one thing more sacred than your peoples lives in Sylvanas eyes, your tree.

Yes. Destroying a 30 years old tree will totally crush the hope of a 10000 years old society and make them surrender immediately. Such flawless thinking of her!
31/07/2018 17:47Posted by Veladre
This does make sense, I can't imagine a stronger message than burning Teldrassil.
And as emotional as she is when Nathanos goes "wait what", she does say it's to destroy hope.

The only hope she destroyed is our hope in Blizzard being capable of giving our Horde friends something to look forward to.