'Sylvanas Is a Brilliant Strategist.'

Story
Prev 1 2 3 6 Next
She may be evil, but what she did is tactically sound (and she proves this again with the Battle at Lordaeron)

You can't just say something is dumb cause you don't like it
31/07/2018 17:46Posted by Obrak
Yep, she just threw a very valid and planned assault over petty spite.

Wonder how much of it was a knee-jerk reaction and how much was about sending a message.
Given her recent portrayal under Golden, I’m leaning more towards the first.
But maybe it’s just me and my current disappointment regarding Blizzards story.

Shame.

Well in Before the Storm she is presented as inclined to bad things, but always for practical reasons. I mean, in the book she is sarcastic, cold, calculating, not crazy.
Besides, the two aspects could in a way be both there, meaning she is doing it to send a message, and in the meantime she's also emotional because of the whole Arthas analogy.
It could also be possible that they wanted the emotion to make her look like deep down she had doubts, seeing herself in the villain robes? If so, they did a wonderfully poor job at conveying it, because all I saw was "I'm pissed, let's destroy hope, burn the thing down!"
31/07/2018 17:53Posted by Teqkilla
She may be evil, but what she did is tactically sound (and she proves this again with the Battle at Lordaeron)

You can't just say something is dumb cause you don't like it

but thats all Alliance does here on forum(well 90% of them anyway)
31/07/2018 17:47Posted by Veladre
31/07/2018 17:40Posted by Skrauhg
She used it as an opportunity to prove to her enemies that absolutely nobody is safe from her and the Horde when she was challenged that she could not crush the hope of her enemy. What she did was indeed a jerk move, but it was also a message. People are too blinded with rage to even consider what it could mean, rather choosing to jump to conclusions because the story didn't go their way.

This does make sense, I can't imagine a stronger message than burning Teldrassil.
And as emotional as she is when Nathanos goes "wait what", she does say it's to destroy hope.

The thing is that it's a stupid idea. She doesn't prove Delaryn wrong. Delaryn is right. You can't destroy hope.

If Sylvanas had actually bothered talking to the Blood Elves and High Elves who survived the destruction of Quel'Thalas thanks to her delaying the Scourge, she'd probably know that.

Even pushed to the brink, the High Elves held on to who they were, rejoined the Alliance and refused to change their ways. The Blood Elves did change their ways, but even at their darkest hour they always held on for dear life to anything that could save them, and were rewarded with the Sunwell's restoration by the Draenei who they had been tricked into making their enemy.

You don't need much hope, just a glimpse. Sylvanas is just an evil cartoon now, so of course she has no understanding of the concept...

As bad as Sylvanas' plan to take the city was, if she had actually gone through with it when she fumbled her way into success she could've achieved something, but between this and Battle for Lordaeron, I think Sylvanas actively wants the Horde to die so she can raise them as Undead...
31/07/2018 17:15Posted by Cheerobase
Delaryn: "there is some good in you, I know it"

That was Delaryn?
31/07/2018 17:57Posted by Sanara
<span class="truncated">...</span>

This does make sense, I can't imagine a stronger message than burning Teldrassil.
And as emotional as she is when Nathanos goes "wait what", she does say it's to destroy hope.

The thing is that it's a stupid idea. She doesn't prove Delaryn wrong. Delaryn is right. You can't destroy hope.

Yeah but she still killed a ton of people and Delaryn died horrified and hopeless so she kinda did?
31/07/2018 17:09Posted by Arctur
31/07/2018 17:01Posted by Ahtuno
She failed to capture Teldrassil, opting to burn it down instead of taking it, giving her no strategic value whatsoever.

A similiar scenario happened in Gilneas, when she was desperate due to the Greymanes' resistance, and just resorted to turning the whole land into a toxic desolation, thus rendering the whole objective of the invasion utterly pointless.

This isn't true. In Gilneas, she was blighting the city which is well separated from the coast proper. She could have still used the coastline to establish a harbor. The current writing shows her throwing all semblance of reasoning and strategy to prove nothing, effectively losing everything she marched on night elven territory for. Not to mention there are some very angry Sentinels in the aftermath who are attacking the stationed Horde forces.
31/07/2018 17:45Posted by Renaerys
31/07/2018 17:01Posted by Ahtuno
Please, after that warbringers, tell me this again with a straight face.

She failed to capture Teldrassil, opting to burn it down instead of taking it, giving her no strategic value whatsoever.

She Failed to kill Malfurion and lost many troops in the Darkshore assault.

And finally, she has lost all moral defence in being the aggressor in the war and weaponizing Azerite first.

Wonder what loot she will drop when she becomes a boss lads?

Under what stupid pre-tenses is this a failure?

She could've took a city, its resources, maybe even enslaved the populace for cheap labour. Burning Teldrassil was a stupid thing to do.

The Horde is unravelling as we speak, Varok is leaving and half of your other leaders would jump ship at the drop of a hat.
31/07/2018 18:01Posted by Nightwarden
<span class="truncated">...</span>

A similiar scenario happened in Gilneas, when she was desperate due to the Greymanes' resistance, and just resorted to turning the whole land into a toxic desolation, thus rendering the whole objective of the invasion utterly pointless.

This isn't true. In Gilneas, she was blighting the city which is well separated from the coast proper. She could have still used the coastline to establish a harbor. The current writing shows her throwing all semblance of reasoning and strategy to prove nothing, effectively losing everything she marched on night elven territory for. Not to mention there are some very angry Sentinels in the aftermath who are attacking the stationed Horde forces.

To be fair, the whole invasion didn't make sense in the first place. I guess Garrosh was blind and didn't notice that he didn't need Gilneas, because he already had Hillsbrad Foothills that could have served as a military port in the Baradin Bay.
PLOT TWIST: All Night Elves are actually Naga in disguise who have been building an Old God under the tree for years and years.

Sylvanas was tricked into burning the tree and revealing the Old God by the Night Elf who offended her.
31/07/2018 18:09Posted by Ahtuno
31/07/2018 17:45Posted by Renaerys

Under what stupid pre-tenses is this a failure?

She could've took a city, its resources, maybe even enslaved the populace for cheap labour. Burning Teldrassil was a stupid thing to do.

The Horde is unravelling as we speak, Varok is leaving and half of your other leaders would jump ship at the drop of a hat.

What an asspull. The Horde is not unraveling. Yes Saurfang turned into a jackass overnight but from the looks of it everyone else is on board except Baine who's a spineless dweeb.
31/07/2018 18:14Posted by Hawk
PLOT TWIST: All Night Elves are actually Naga in disguise who have been building an Old God under the tree for years and years.

Sylvanas was tricked into burning the tree and revealing the Old God by the Night Elf who offended her.

Sssh, don't give them ideas. I do not want it to be worse than it already is.

the tree has been patially corrupted atleast since day 1, staghelm planted it there while he was already under influence of old gods.
31/07/2018 18:16Posted by Cheerobase

Sssh, don't give them ideas. I do not want it to be worse than it already is.

Sargeras was a Dreadlord.
31/07/2018 18:19Posted by Cysia
the tree has been patially corrupted atleast since day 1, staghelm planted it there while he was already under influence of old gods.

Yeah, except the source of the corruption was removed and it was blessed by some of the Dragonflights to stop future corruption.
#1 - strat worked.
Occupied tree or burnt down, doesn’t matter. Kaldorei are crushed, Kalimdor and Azerite are ours.
Better this way, no need to occupy it now.
Marshmallow party.

#2 - hope was destroyed when they CGI's princess Leia's face in Rogue One

#3 - Who was Delaryn?!?
It doesn’t matter who Delaryn is.
Might have been some random for all the good she did her people.

Banshee queen continues to perform.
Full of surprises even if she’s just being plain old and boringly true to character.
RIP Sylvanas: 2004-2018

Your character that built the Forsaken as underdogs will sorely be missed.
31/07/2018 18:21Posted by Daumier
#1 - strat worked.
Occupied tree or burnt down, doesn’t matter. Kaldorei are crushed, Kalimdor and Azerite are ours.
Marshmallow party.

Except the point of the occupation was preventing Alliance retaliation. What she did is a fool-prof strategy of making sure the Alliance retaliates.
Oh I forgot...

#4 - no night elves were harmed in the making of this bonfire as we all know that no one ever visited Darnasus anymore.

Oh bugger, that means that the undercity and Thunder bluff are next.

Well at least goldshire is safe!
31/07/2018 18:24Posted by Araphant
31/07/2018 18:21Posted by Daumier
#1 - strat worked.
Marshmallow party.

Except the point of the occupation was preventing Alliance retaliation. What she did is a fool-prof strategy of making sure the Alliance retaliates.

On the plus side I'm sure an old smoldering tree will hinder their shipping lanes more than an island full of cannons and weapons and stuff.

Guess the Alliance will have to make Exodar their port of call until the fire burns out.