Tirisfal Glades post-invasion

Story
It's your boi Anthropea, back at it with another juicy, spicy, Alliance-biased topic here!

So, as of today, the Invasion of Lordaeron hit live servers and we got to witness the Alliance getting their arses handed to them 6 ways from Sunday. But what of the results? Well, they are less than satisfactory:

1. Thousands dead
2. Sylvanas escaped
3. Undercity in ruins

However, the main focus of this topic is the state of the Zone itself. Now, you probably know that since Teldrassil got burned down, the entirety of the NE starting zone and their capital are no longer accessible (unless you speak to a time dragon). This is, however, NOT the case for the Undead starting zone. It is completely intact (albeit I could not find any quest givers). Same goes for the Bulwark, etc.

So, to recap:
- Alliance lose an entire zone + a capital city
- Horde lose only a capital city

Long-live balance, am I right?

*laughs while wiping away a sorrowful tear*
Sylvanas essentially came out the victor in both conflicts but I'm sure our resident Blood Elves will come and declare Alliance bias.
At least your faction leader doesn't sound like a villain from an 80s cartoon whose every line is about how they love polluting nature and slap their henchmen around for disagreeing with them.

But hey, if you think getting more blue spots on the world map is a fair trade for losing all credibility in your own faction in the process, we'd be happy to trade.
Cringe.
I think the "imbalance" stems from the fact that in the minds of Blizzard, Teldrassil itself is not really a zone, just a big tree.

When a person who is not a Kaldorei fan thinks about Teldrassil, usually he/she will just associate it with just Darnassus. However when you think about Tirisfal you don't identify it with Undercity alone. Also Tirisfal is very big lore-wise so of course Blizzard couldn't have destroyed it completely, not even the combined power of multiple enhanced mana bombs would be enough to completely burn down and eradicate the entirety of Tirisfal Glades. Not to mention that wasn't the objective of the Alliance, anyway.

08/08/2018 17:20Posted by Casira
Sylvanas essentially came out the victor in both conflicts but I'm sure our resident Blood Elves will come and declare Alliance bias.

She's not the victor in Battle for Lordaeron, she just wanted to lose on her own terms because she's proud and arrogant like that. Also we Sin'dorei fans unlike others claim Alliance bias just as much as Horde bias because Blood Elf fans usually aren't very attached to the Horde in the first place so we are kinda fair about it.
They could at least have let us loot Sylvanas' box filled confiscated lewd pictures of the Dark Lady. Horde favouritism at its best.
We still take the city and push the Horde out of a lot of Tirisfal, it isn't great but it is a good start.
08/08/2018 18:00Posted by Frozengrip
We still take the city and push the Horde out of a lot of Tirisfal, it isn't great but it is a good start.

I mean you get the Horde out from it.
But you failed the prime objective stopping Sylvanas.

You've won....Nothing!
08/08/2018 18:07Posted by Durlan
I mean you get the Horde out from it.
But you failed the prime objective stopping Sylvanas.

You've won....Nothing!

But that is like me saying the Horde lost the war of thorns because they ultimately failed to make the Alliance peace out.

Lets be real here she lost her capital, the surrendering lands. What is left of her lands is being invaded by almost all directions. The only other people what "semi" support her are the Blood Elves which are stuck on EK and the Goblins. Fleeing to Kali' with the other Horde races super pissed at her (Baine, Orcs will be annoyed Saurfang was left behind) is a awful in the grand scheme of things.

She took out a bulk of the Alliances invading army which is good, but she has lost so much more. Like before Horde members being pissed, main foothold on Northern EK destroyed. They (seem) to be losing to guerrilla warfare in Kali on previously conquered zones and the Forsaken are not designed to do the same. You have just got to think of the bigger picture.
08/08/2018 17:14Posted by Anthropea
back at it with another juicy, spicy, Alliance-biased topic here!

You guys work hard.
08/08/2018 17:51Posted by Velsyana
Also we Sin'dorei fans unlike others claim Alliance bias just as much as Horde bias because Blood Elf fans usually aren't very attached to the Horde in the first place so we are kinda fair about it.

Same could be said for the Night Elf fans and The Alliance!
08/08/2018 17:51Posted by Velsyana
I think the "imbalance" stems from the fact that in the minds of Blizzard, Teldrassil itself is not really a zone, just a big tree.

Elegy disagrees.
Truth is Blizzard has never rly phased Alliance victories, see Cata. This is no different.
Hell, the Deathguard at the Brill bridge is still there...
08/08/2018 17:20Posted by Casira

Not at all. The general impression I held was the Alliance being the stronger faction regarding the end of MoP and how WoD did basically nothing to change the balance of power. It now seems Sylvanas succeeded in levelling the playing field. While the Horde invasion was a success, the alliance counterattack can be at best called a phyrric victory.
Let the fantasy races stay in their own fantasy space. It's already weird to see the noble defenders of the Earth Mother defending a plague infested ruined city.
War and conquest is fine as long it suits the setting imo
So to recap.

1. Sylvanas burns down Teldrassil, Horde dont get a new city

2. Sylvanas blights Lordaeron. Alliance dont get a 'new' city

What are we gaining from any of this? And I mean BFA in general. We've lost countless abilities to pruning, our artifacts that we worked on all expansion, two cities (instead of gaining anything) and now all those bridges we built bringing everyone together through our Order Halls.

And what are we handed in return? 6 Reskinned races with lore as deep as a puddle, as opposed to the countless races we've been screaming for forever. And a story that doesnt make a lick of sense?
08/08/2018 17:14Posted by Anthropea

So, to recap:
- Alliance lose an entire zone + a capital city
- Horde lose only a capital city

Long-live balance, am I right?

*laughs while wiping away a sorrowful tear*

Look at the bright side. At least Anduin had the chance to kick down the throneroom door like Arthas had done and left a battlescar in Tirisfal glade, leading to the town, like Arthas in Eversong. :)

(Btw I'd totally trade losing a whole zone to having to face Malfurion just because of reasons (running down Ashenvale and razing Teldrassil is okay-ish, Malfurion is not ;_; ) >.>; )
The bdrp that will happen in the npc-less tirisfal though *shudders* And Sylvanas thought her Blight would leave a lasting mark, it will make gilneas rp look like a well scripted Movie.
08/08/2018 17:36Posted by Nokhan
At least your faction leader doesn't sound like a villain from an 80s cartoon whose every line is about how they love polluting nature and slap their henchmen around for disagreeing with them.

But hey, if you think getting more blue spots on the world map is a fair trade for losing all credibility in your own faction in the process, we'd be happy to trade.

Yup, he sounds like a total moron and a prick, yelling at Genn, complaining about "muh Horde's honor" and all that. Anduin was the worst part of the Battle of Lordaeron, from beginning to end, and I hope, against all hopes, that he'll either die or lose the position of High King sometimes during or at the end of BFA. That brat is the worst character in-game right now.
This mentality of "We lose something so they should too" is super dumb anyway and led to many events in lore being super stupid.

Varian died so we need Vol'jin to die too or its unfair. Which results in the worst death ever for a faction leader.

Nazgrim dies in SOO so we'll kill off Admiral Taylor off-screen in some stupid side quest in WoD. (Then ress Nazgrim anyway).

These are just two examples.. This mentality is harmful to the story as a whole, imo.
Really good post Glinkbeenus.

The story should really not be mared by the obligation to keep a balance between events affecting a faction or the other.

Especially as the setting was really imbalanced from the start. A prosperous Alliance of old nations on one side and a smattering of survivors on the other side.

But as Blizzard would not bother to make a living world where progress was gradual, for example every few patches have Undercity's power and influence grow through alterac southshore towards arathi while Ironforge pushes through arathi to maintain links with Aerie peak.

You end up with cataclysmic events like we've just seen with armies moving at stupid speed and the need to "balance" events. If the Fall of Tel'drassil was the result of a prolonged war with regular questing showing the Horde sapping the Night elves forces, it would be a sad but acceptable result.

I know one could say the war in kalimdor is going on since Vanilla, but the events are so far between and disjointed that you do not get the feeling of progress.