[Spoilers&Speculation] Bwonsamdi

Argent Dawn
So Bwonsamdi, a very good character i liked so far in Expansion, pretty good developed, but... Will he turn evil?

Some things came in my mind after reading some stuff, such as :

https://www.wowhead.com/news=286537/the-fallen-chieftain-first-part-of-the-spirits-be-with-you-quest-available

Bwonsamdi : Ay, Vol'jin? Come on outta dat urn. Wait... wait, wait... no! Where be da spirit?! Where be Vol'jin?
No! No! Impossible. Da boss ain't gonna like dis. Ol' Bwonsamdi not been losin' a spirit in... oh, dis be bad.

Da boss? So Bwonsamdi is not working for himself, he is working for someone above him? only two can come to my mind, Lich King or Yogg'saron, who both of them have a part with death in wow, and we both know both of them are villains, so could this mean Bwonsamdi will turn evil? Another part that got me thinking that is the deal he made with Rastakhan, telling him *De empire be ours* and ominous music on the background with a frozen Rastakhan face.

Who is Bwonsamdi's boss? Previously we thought he just did what he wanted.

What do you people think will happend with ol' bwonsamdi?
Bwonsamdi has been shown to Hate Both the Undead and the minions of the old gods, So him working for either would be retconning everything we understand about him.

Bwonsamdi can't "Turn Evil" Since he is the spiritual incarnation of death that has been shown to only do his job, like when he says to the player that it's not their time. Him turning evil would defeat the actual concept he is trying to show of a more chaotic neutral envisionment of death.

And his boss could easily be some other Loa, since from teh questline in Zuldazar it showed us that Rezan was higher on the "Loa Food Chain" than Bwonsamdi, so the likelihood is that there is a patron loa considered the father of all loa like there is in most religions.
From my understanding of actual real life voodoo religion Loa are mostly just important 'spirits' which act as intermediaries between the mortal world and the divine world (either the Christian God or the native Gods, or both sometimes), so I wouldn't be surprised that some of the Azerothian Loa work for a bigger force (Elune, the Titans or possibly other forces of nature in the universe).

Both Bwonsamdi's concept and character are based upon Baron Samedi from New World Voodoo, who is generally actually M O R A L L Y G R E Y unlike the Sylvanas meme, so I don't think Bwonsamdi is going to do something inherently evil but instead just something that is going to make him more powerful. I once read that he becomes more powerful with every Troll spirit he is allowed to lord over in death, and now with both Rezan dead and the deal Bwonsamdi made with Rastakhan he will get the spirit and servitude of all Zandalari Kings, which will make him both the most important loa and incredibly powerful if a spirit's power is based upon his/her power in life.

I think the worst we might see is Bwonsamdi enforcing himself on top of the Loa hierachy (which he'll probably wants to since he's portrayed as an outsider Loa) and that he might eventually claim King Rastakhan's spirit since he is already aging rapidly as he died before and Rezan isn't there to protect him from Bwonsamdi.

EDITs: grammar mistakes removed. I also recognise that the Titans are currently gone, I just meant to give an example before someone is going to point that out.
At this point? Anything!

The whole Questchain and the questions and revelations thrown up by it cant be answered.

Who is Samdis "Boss"? A Titan? A Old God? A Greater Loa? Who knows!
How comes Vol'jins Pandaren made Glaive is suddenly so important? Who knows!
How come Zalazane was able to escape Samd? Who knows!

We'll get our questions answered once the Uldir raid is open but until then.

Personally? I think Samdi wont turn into a villain or Raid Boss. What Rastakahn did isnt anything out of the ordinary. The Darkspear sold themselfs to Samdi aswell in exchange for a Home. Samdi is such a great character, I dont think Blizzard would just turn him into a loot piniata.

This whole quest chain is alluding to Vol'jin ascending to be a Loa by the end of it. So who knows?

Maybe Samdis "boss" is just some entity that wants to elevate Vol'jin to a loa and Samdi is the gateway point for that? That would explain his panic.

Some other interesting points that this quest chain brings up though. Samdi is utterly panicked as he loses a spirit.

So far he has "lost" 3 spirits. Rastakahn, Torga and Zalazane. They all escaped his grasp by one way or another. So why is he loosing his !@#$ over Vol'jin so much? This is the first time he drops his playfull trickster persona.

And another interesting point. Talanji says that she heard stories of Vol'jins exploits as a little girl. Vol'jins exploits started around Cataclysm. Which is roughly 8 years ago. So if she grew up on these stories as a little girl... she is... just turned into a adult or about to? In human terms. Aka around 18. We still dont know when Trolls mature to adults.

In any case. This quest chain just opened up so many speculation cans. I cant wait for it to conclude!
19/08/2018 01:33Posted by Bwimtoru

And another interesting point. Talanji says that she heard stories of Vol'jins exploits as a little girl. Vol'jins exploits started around Cataclysm. Which is roughly 8 years ago. So if she grew up on these stories as a little girl... she is... just turned into a adult or about to? In human terms. Aka around 18. We still dont know when Trolls mature to adults.

It's important to note that he only becomes significant to the WoW story around Cata and MoP but as a lore figure, prominent member of his tribe and chieftain he's been around for much longer. I expect tales of his deeds and actions would have reached Zuldazar from easily the time he and his tribe become first members of the new horde and leave their ancestral home to journey to Kalimdor, if not before.
I would also love know who is Bwonsamdi's boss. I have however small speculation who could be his boss, But I could be as well so wrong.

I think he could work with Mueh'zala. who is Loa, worshiped by the Sandfury tribe. He is Loa of death, just as like Bwonsamdi. But here's comes interesting part with their titles

Bwonsamdi has three titles.
Great Spirit, Loa of Death, Loa of Graves

Mueh'zala has four of them.
God of Death, Father of Sleep, Son of Time, Night's Friend

When compare their titles.. you can see where I am getting at...
I think Bwonsamdi Is more like grave keeper, making sure every soul is coming to him when Mueh'zala is real king of deaths... I could be wrong of course, since we don't much of him, but he could be cool bonus to add him in this expansion.
I'm sure the line you are referring to is said by the priest of Bwonsamedi, just outside of the Necropolis. Not by Bwon himself.
18/08/2018 20:21Posted by Dudflex
Bwonsamdi has been shown to Hate Both the Undead and the minions of the old gods, So him working for either would be retconning everything we understand about him.

Blizzard doesn't need this sort of continuity bs anymore.
I'm more interested in what's up with Hakkar... why did the LOA of BLOOD not receive a single mention in a storyline that's all about blood magic, blood trolls and a blood god?

I loved Zandalar overall; the environment, the design, the story are all great. But their lore game this xpac is embarrassingly weak...
19/08/2018 07:21Posted by Proud
I'm sure the line you are referring to is said by the priest of Bwonsamedi, just outside of the Necropolis. Not by Bwon himself.

No it's not.

https://youtu.be/RoStWGOzZYw?t=9m4s
I have the theory that Bwonsamdi uses Rastakhan to get rid of Sylvanas as she is a threat to him. But by doing so he will fulfill another profity from Il'gynoth by accident.

At the hour of her third death, she will usher in our coming.

Which I believe might lead to the release of the true god of death and the end boss of Battle for Azeroth: Yogg-saron himself.

As this is mostly Horde related I believe something similar will happen at the Alliance side involving Anduin.
19/08/2018 10:49Posted by Jinux
I have the theory that Bwonsamdi uses Rastakhan to get rid of Sylvanas as she is a threat to him. But by doing so he will fulfill another profity from Il'gynoth by accident.

Which I believe might lead to the release of the true god of death and the end boss of Battle for Azeroth: Yogg-saron himself.

As this is mostly Horde related I believe something similar will happen at the Alliance side involving Anduin.

She's died three times already.

Killed by Arthas.

Committed suicide from the top of Icecrown.

Killed by Godfrey in Silverpine questline.
19/08/2018 10:53Posted by Bloodseeker
19/08/2018 10:49Posted by Jinux

Killed by Arthas.

I'd say there's something like a 70% chance that whoever wrote those Il'gynoth lines didn't recall Godfrey shooting her in the back of her head. This is Blizzard we're talking about.
19/08/2018 07:14Posted by Argana
I think he could work with Mueh'zala. who is Loa, worshiped by the Sandfury tribe. He is Loa of death, just as like Bwonsamdi. But here's comes interesting part with their titles

I was thinking the same thing. Perhaps "the Other Side" is really where Mueh'zala is, and in exchange for feeding him souls, Mueh'zala grants Bwonsamdi power. And considering that Mueh'zala has a lot revealed about him in Traveller Part 2 as well as his goals, it would be very interesting. Also, it would be a chance to introduce the Travellers and the Hidden into the game.
18/08/2018 20:21Posted by Dudflex
Bwonsamdi has been shown to Hate Both the Undead

He doesn't hate undead, and makes use of them himself on a number of occasions. During the echo isles event he raised ghouls. During the retaking of Dazar'alor, he brought spirits back to cotninue the fight. You run into a couple of spirits working on his behalf in nazmir and help them kill their son.

He hates undead that aren't his, sure, but otherwise he makes use of them.
19/08/2018 11:20Posted by Taxania
19/08/2018 10:53Posted by Bloodseeker

Killed by Arthas.

I'd say there's something like a 70% chance that whoever wrote those Il'gynoth lines didn't recall Godfrey shooting her in the back of her head. This is Blizzard we're talking about.

I'd say it's more likely they forgot her suicidal jump from ICC because that was in a book and not in the game.

Godfrey shooting Sylvanas is what lead to her going all out on not dying anymore because she has used up all her extra lives. Plus it was part of the Gilneas blighting storyline which is pretty important to the Sylvanas vs Greymane arc.
https://www.wowhead.com/uploads/screenshots/normal/680882.jpg

On the whole "third death" thing.
People are sincerely focusing on the wrong prediction of Yll'ganoth. The third death thing no longer concerns Sylvanas and probably never will.

She's the one guiding the sheeps to a cliff for them to die... AKA the horde.