[H-RP] The Talanri (Zandalari Military Guild)

Argent Dawn
Faction: Horde
Race: Zandalari
Type: Formal Military
Argent Archives: https://www.argentarchives.org/node/214605
Discord: https://discord.gg/BVUnFJ9

The Golden Army
The Talanri are a platoon of the Zandalari Army which is born from veterans of Princess Talanji’s expedition to Nazmir. The order embodies both the resolve and decisiveness of the Princess along with her progressive attitude towards the Horde and the belief of a future where the Empire is a productive and honourable power on the worldstage.

The order is composed of, and divided between, four distinct military detachments drawn from units of the Zandalari Army. These “detachments” are the backbone, foundation and core of The Talanri and are: The Torcali, The Raptari, The Pa’kura and the recently formed Akundara.

The Hierarchy
The Talanri is lead by a High Priest who presides over The High Council which is comprised of one High Prelate representing each of the four units. High Priest Oakuatl ensures the order is faithful to the example of their Princess and embodies the spirituality of the Zandalari people where ever the order roams across Azeroth. Each High Prelate leads one of the four units, representing them at council and leading them into battle.

Organisation

The Torcalin
“We are followers of Torcali, de Moving Mountain, de Wandering Bulwark. If our loa wills it, nothing gets past our shields.”

Patron Loa: Torcali
Combat Role: Vanguard and Bulwark
High Prelate: TBC
Torcalin Uniform: https://www.wowhead.com/transmog-set=2835/zandalar-quest-plate-exiled-veteran-recolor

The Torcalin are the formidable vanguard and bulwark of the Zandalari Army. They are at the forefront of formations, the first into battle and the shield against which our enemies will break against. The strength of The Torcalin comes from the Loa Torcali, the Moving Mounta and Wondering Bulwark. With the blessing and boon of Torcali are the Torcalin able to stand defiant against any foolish enough to face their shields. Off the battlefields The Torcalin are the guardians of the camp, and The High Council.

Tales of de Loa: Torcali
If ya dismiss Torcali
It be at your folly
She teaches us de harvest
She protects us in our home
We become the smartest
Our fields are rich with loam
Brave and true and silent waiting
Far afield, be fascinating
Embrace Torcali, if ya be wise
And finally rest dem weary eyes

The Raptari
“Bring strength to your pack.”

Patron Loa: Gonk
Combat Role: Vanguard, Support, Range, Cavalry
Disciple of Gonk Uniform: https://www.wowhead.com/transmog-set=2787/zandalar-quest-leather-jambani-recolor

Raptari Warrior Uniform: https://www.wowhead.com/transmog-set=2835/zandalar-quest-plate-exiled-veteran-recolor

The Raptari are a diverse and adaptable unit of the Zandalari Army comprised not only the disciples of Gonk but also the Raptari Warriors who serve as raptor-mounter cavalry. The disciples of Gonk fill many roles to support the army in battle with some serving in the Vanguard and others assisting the Pa’kura with ranged support or the Akundara with tending to wounds. The Raptari Warriors, while not shapeshifters like the other Raptari, are the deadly raptor mounted cavalry of the Zandalari, wearing heavy plate and wiedling great war-spears into battle. Off the battlefields The Raptari assist The Pa’kura with scouting while maintaining patrols around the camp and the wilds and tending to wounds.

Tales of de Loa: Gonk
Lithe and soundless with padded paw
He’s quick of mind and sharp of claw
He ills de hart with honour and awe
He is Gonk!

In defence or on attack
He de one that has ya back
De mighty master of the pack
He is Gonk!

Be it hoof or paw or hand
He roams de sea and sky and land
With dis loa we will stand
He is Gonk!

The Pa'kura
“Pa’ku is de loa of winds and mistress of our scouts and fleet. May her winds be ever at your back”

Patron Loa: Pa’ku
Roll: Range and Scouts
Pa'kura Scout Uniform: https://www.wowhead.com/transmog-set=2786/zandalar-quest-leather-scorching-sands-recolor

Pa'kura Warbow Uniform: https://www.wowhead.com/transmog-set=2810/zandalar-quest-mail-resilient-outcast-recolor

The Pa’kura are the unparalleled Warbows and Scouts of the Zandalari Army who, with the blessing of their Loa Pa’ku, are able to empower their arrows to ride the winds and lighten their steps to scout the wilds with savage speed and deadly silence. While in formation the Pa’kura provide much needed range support while empowering the army to flank and strike their foes from the shadows. Off the battlefields the Pa’kura are vital for scouting and reconnaissance serving as pathfinders, hunters, archers and scouts.

Tales of de Loa: Pa’ku
Pa’ku, o Pa’ku is coming for you
She’s de mother of de seas
She’s de mother of the skies
She’s de mother breeze in de trees
On de wind she flies

Pa’ku, o Pa’ku is coming for you
She knows de seas and de land
From here to dere and back again
Dere is no place for you ta hide
Should ya get yaself on her bad side

Pa’ku o Pa’ku is coming for you
In a flash she will strike
Smooth and calm, den all de fright!
De truest loa, full of pride
If ya always keep her satisfied.

The Akundara
“Clarity comes after the storm”

Patron Loa: Akunda
Roll: Range and Support
Akundara Shaman Uniform: https://www.wowhead.com/transmog-set=2817/zandalar-dungeon-mail-normal-recolor

The Akundara are the only unit not serving as a detachment from the main Zandalari Army, and are a unique unit specific to the forces of The Talanari. Following a pact with Akunda by High Priest Oakuatl to help the order navigate the storms ahead was the unit formed to house those who would bring the wrath of the storm upon the enemies of Zandalar and the healing rains down upon their people and allies. Off the battlefield the members of the Akundara will find themselves tending to the injured and supporting the Pa’kura and Raptari with their patrols and the Torcalin with their watch.

Tales of de Loa: Akunda
Akunda brings de lightning
Akunda brinde de thunder
De faithless be afraid
De brave be full of wonder.

Akunda brings de wind,
Akunda brings de rain,
Ya memories come flooding up,
His will can ease ya pain.

One de he hits with all de force,
De next day he be kind,
Much like Akunda’s touch,
Dere be great power in his mind.

When ya courage goes astray,
When doubt be in ya heart,
Then of calm before de storm
And Akunda do his part.

Ranks
Tier 1 - Leadership
High Priest
High Prelate

Tier 2 - Command
Loa Speaker & Prelate

Tier 3 - Forces
Devilsaur (Major)
Direhorn (Sergeant)
Pterrordax (Corporal)
Ravasaur (Lance Corporal)
Ankylodon (Private)
Saurid (Recruit)

Recruitment
There are many paths to joining the The Talanri and are divided between those already part of the army and those looking to join the army.

Already a member of the Torcalin, Pa'kura or Raptari:

If your portray your character as already being a member of one of the three military unit above then they would transfer into The Talanri from their current assignent. Contact an officer or the guild leader, agree the nature of your transfer and ICly you will present your new High Prelate with Transfer Orders and this will mark your joining the guild.

Already a member of The Rastari/ generally part of the army:

If you portray your character is already being part of The Rastari or generally being a soldier then you would either join via transfer or by promotion from your current post. Contact an offficer of the guild leader, agree the details of your transfer or promotion into the order and you will be directed from there.

Civilian Young adult/ adult looking to join the army:

If your protray your character as a young adult, or adult, who is looking for a change in career, or looking to embark on one, then you can be recruited into The Talanri at one of our recruitment events or you can seek us out ICly if your character would have the means to reach us. Recruitment events take place in Orgrimar and Zandalar frequently and you can contact an officer of the guild leader for further information.
Pretty neato guild but I'm in too many to participate in another.

I'll leave you with one question as well as my best wishes:

Are members of the guild strictly bound to these loa depending on the class? I always assumed people could go and pursue any loa. Such as shamans worshipping Rezan.

Again, best of luck!
Akunda
Loa: Akunda
Game Class: Shaman
“I am the storm.”, “Clarity comes after the storm”

What is your view on worshipping Akunda and how his followers rename themselves to start a new life in the temple? (before the scheme and after)
17/08/2018 03:54Posted by Carbek
Pretty neato guild but I'm in too many to participate in another.

I'll leave you with one question as well as my best wishes:

Are members of the guild strictly bound to these loa depending on the class? I always assumed people could go and pursue any loa. Such as shamans worshipping Rezan.

Again, best of luck!

Many thanks for your best wishes, Carbek! From my experience and understanding Trolls traditionally only draw their power from one principle Loa in their lives to whom the pay homage, make offerings and enter into deals with in exchange for real, tangible power, abilities or boons. Gonk is the first Loa who lets his followers worship other Loa so they may learn to take on their forms, something he has introduced to the Darkspear who would become druids and the Zandalari who follow him. This notion though appears to be progressive, for example NPCs specifically ask: "Which Loa do you serve?" and "Name your Loa, so I may name mine." suggesting that worship of a single Loa is still the tradition and norm. With regards specifically to the military, members of the orders above ingame do worship their particular Loa and draw strength from them. Members of those units in the guild will be expected to worship that particular Loa but may have other Loa they honour in prayer or in private such as a family Loa. However the one with whom they receive a boon, make offerings to etc will be the one of their unit.

17/08/2018 07:34Posted by Starhelm
Akunda

What is your view on worshipping Akunda and how his followers rename themselves to start a new life in the temple? (before the scheme and after)

Thanks for your question, Starhelm! Its a good one and something I pondered over also. The followers and adherents of Akunda outside the temple do not take the name Akunda to replace their original one. I wonder if that rite is reserved for people who, at the end of their tether, go on retreat to the temple to get away from their strife or sorrow, on so going through the ritual to remove the painful memory then take up the name Akunda. His priests in Zandalar do not seem to have taken his name, although they are creatively called "Priest of Akunda" so it may not be a true reflection of how things are. Even the followers inside the temple get their names back once Akunda is free, so I wonder if that is more to do with the influence and control of "Akunda the Exalted"? Not being 100% sure on this point I named their unit "Akunda" instead of something like "Akundar" to honour the notion that his followers take his name in at least some form.
The idea sounds great and questing in Zuldazar specifically makes me really look forward to making my own Zandalari troll one day. This idea sounds exactly like the kind I'd be looking for to put my Zandalari into!

In honour of the wonderful loa Jani, just out of curiosity is there a place/rank for those who worship them, or would that fall into the "people can have family loas/private prayers to other loas while still being of one rank" idea?
17/08/2018 10:13Posted by Tomotta
The idea sounds great and questing in Zuldazar specifically makes me really look forward to making my own Zandalari troll one day. This idea sounds exactly like the kind I'd be looking for to put my Zandalari into!

In honour of the wonderful loa Jani, just out of curiosity is there a place/rank for those who worship them, or would that fall into the "people can have family loas/private prayers to other loas while still being of one rank" idea?

I'm glad you like the concept! Jani is such a fun and interesting Loa! I would imagine worship of her might fit into a characters backstory. Say for example your character had to live rough and scavange to get by for a time, or they were a thief before joining the army, they might have been poor or an orphan and Jani looked out for them. In the army their principle Loa would be Pa'ku (If joining as a scout) but in private they may still honour the Loa that saved them and gave them the chance to live to reach this point in their life?
17/08/2018 10:28Posted by Kargroth
17/08/2018 10:13Posted by Tomotta

I'm glad you like the concept! Jani is such a fun and interesting Loa! I would imagine worship of her might fit into a characters backstory. Say for example your character had to live rough and scavange to get by for a time, or they were a thief before joining the army, they might have been poor or an orphan and Jani looked out for them. In the army their principle Loa would be Pa'ku (If joining as a scout) but in private they may still honour the Loa that saved them and gave them the chance to live to reach this point in their life?

Excellent thoughts! Very much to something that I had in mind in what it could be.

I'm going to have a Zandalari druid no matter what, because those druid forms are just to die for. I'm probably hopping over to the "incubation" discord to further keep track of this project .)
Update: I've also set up a general Zandalari RP community using the ingame communities feature:

https://eu.battle.net/forums/en/wow/topic/17622562805
Zandalari belong on top of the piramid.
17/08/2018 07:34Posted by Starhelm
Akunda

I don't think they all do it. Akunda's loa speaker in Zuldazar still has her own name if you look at the altar there.
Indeed, Kuwanyauma. The NPCs in the temple get their names back after the Akunda the Exalted is defeated, suggesting this practice was more linked to his influence than that of Akunda.
I love how there is already guilds poping up for the Zandalari. This looks promising and might even look into joining myself when Zandalari be a playable race. Hope though this guild gets a good start when it happens.

Zandalar forever my brotha
Hello folks, its the OP here. Just a heads up that Oakuatl (Pronounced Oa-kuat-l) here will be leading The Talanri and will become a Zandalari down the line when they are released.

We've already begun work on our Argent Archives page and will be encouraging those interested in joining to share adventures there which depict their experiences as the events of BFA unfold around them!

We're making minor revisions to the concept, but so far feedback has been positive and people have responded really well.

If you're interested in joining and contributing to the guild then feel free to join our Discord linked below.

Tomorrow I'm going to write some short stories covering Oakuatl to give him more life and start to flesh him, and his future role, out.

Thanks again for all the support so far,

Zandalar forever!

https://discord.gg/BVUnFJ9
The Zandalari are amazing, I'm definitely going to join the discord while I wait with my racechange ready.
Lovely to see another Zandalari guild! I do, however, as Carbek question the forced servitude of a loa. Dealings with loas seem to be either deeply personal as with your primary loa or very business-oriented as when you straight up attempt to strike a deal with a loa. Ordering someone to serve a loa just seems .... "wrong" to me - I wish I could explain it better but at least to me loa worship is personal and not something to be boxed in and demanded.

Regardless of my personal reservations on that particular issue I wish you the best of luck and the greatest of events!
The only criticism I have is the system of having your loa decided by ooc class. You could quite easily argue for a wavespeaker (Shaman) or windcaller (Moonkin?) worshipping Pa'ku over gonk etc.

Would make a lot more sense to leave the choice of loa up to the individual character etc
20/08/2018 07:22Posted by Zensa
Ordering someone to serve a loa just seems .... "wrong" to me - I wish I could explain it better but at least to me loa worship is personal and not something to be boxed in and demanded.

20/08/2018 08:29Posted by Zullin

Would make a lot more sense to leave the choice of loa up to the individual character etc

My observations of Zandalari society are that people largely have a single Loa from whom they receive boons, support, guidance from in return of offerings, worship and homage. It is, indeed, highly personal, as evidenced by the many shrines around the temple, the sermons that happen and the civilians who worship there. But The Talnari is not made of civilians, it is made of members of the warrior caste and priesthood and when you look at the ingame military units of the Zandalari Army (Torcalin, Pa'kura and Raptori) their NPCs explain how their power comes from the loa of their unit. The Torcalin soldiers sum this best with:

“We are followers of Torcali, de Moving Mountain, de Wandering Bulwark. If our loa wills it, nothing gets past our shields.”. All Torcalin follow Torcali as their primary Loa because of their work and how dependent they are on that to fill their military role. So this is reflected in The Talanri. Tomotta raised the point in our discord about other loa, which needs updating on the OP, but character can pay respects to other Loa in their private lives. Example: You lived rough, had to scavenge to survive so Jani is a Loa to whom you've long followed. Now you're a Paku'ra Warbow in The Talanri, your powers in battle derive from Pa'ku but you might still have a shrine to Jani in your tent.

You could quite easily argue for a wavespeaker (Shaman) or windcaller (Moonkin?) worshipping Pa'ku over gonk etc.

Our ability to state more Loa for the various military roles of the Druids and Shaman largely stems from a lack of lore on Loa for some of those things, such as healing and medicine. Akunda, along with his sermon in Zandalar, speak of the restorative nature of the Storms, so for now Akunda embodies both the offensive and supportive roles of the Akunda Unit and its Shaman. A Zandalari equivalent of a Druid of the Talon may well honour Pa'ku as Gonk permits the worship of other loa beside himself, but the Raptari in the Talanari fill a ground based role as either Vanguard, Range or Support.
The only criticism I have is the system of having your loa decided by ooc class.

20/08/2018 11:38Posted by Oakuatl
Our ability to state more Loa for the various military roles of the Druids and Shaman largely stems from a lack of lore on Loa for some of those things, such as healing and medicine.

I can understand your issue due to lack of lore which is a shame. Troll IC classes tend to be very fluid - hexxers, witch doctors, wavespeakers, menders, rather than the more rigid terms of "shaman" and "druid", which means peoples IC class is often different from their OOC one. In that way you might risk separating yourselves from some of the troll community but you seem like you have a very firm grasp of what you want and how to portray it, so I think and hope you'll be able to circumvent this.
20/08/2018 13:00Posted by Zensa
Troll IC classes tend to be very fluid - hexxers, witch doctors, wavespeakers, menders, rather than the more rigid terms of "shaman" and "druid", which means peoples IC class is often different from their OOC one.

I agree whole hardheartedly there is much flexibility in what "Shaman" and "Druids" can portray IC Class wise. I was in two minds as to Oakuatl being a Shaman, not an actual priest.

I think what is important to keep in mind is that we're firmly and formally a unit of the Zandalari Army, not a militia of combat inclined civilians rushed/ forced into a role. Characters in the guild will be career soldiers and priests/ loa speakers of their respective units. They may be long in post, or just about to start basic training, but they are career soldiers in the army regardless.

When planning the guild I'm not looking at OOC Game Mechanic class, I'm looking at the units shown to be in the army ingame, and then pairing them class which can 1) Do the same role when it come to RP-PVP, 2) wear the same armour so our theme is consistent.

Thank you for all your feedback though, its been really useful and I've updated the original post to make it more clear on the role of Unit Loa Worship (Loa who are the patrons of their units) and the place and importance of personal Loa worship outside of your career.