Shadow Priest, does anyone enjoy it?

General
18/08/2018 21:35Posted by Faelias
18/08/2018 21:32Posted by Lillienne
I am lvling as shadow and I have not had much trouble. I turned on warmode eventually but even before that I could quite easily pull 5 - 7 mobs and kill them. With warmode and the voidshield talent I can solo elites that are supposed to be slain in a group of 3 people.

Was in same situation but when i "ding" 120 everything just... hmm... at 120 i feel weaker than 116-117. But...

I still enjoy BfA shadow priest. Love new s2m. Love shadow lore etc. :)

Uh oh, well, I will see how weak a shadow priest is at lvl 120 in my next lvling session. I am not sure if I enjoy shadow yet, I have always preferred playing disc or holy and used shadow only for lvling or offspec. Glad to hear you enjoy shadow priests tho :).
I was asking the same thing in chat, no response. But from the classes I have personally tried, shadow pries is definitely towards the bottom.
complain now but played shadow during legion? it has already been horrible before i dont see any big difference that makes it worse now actually for me it got way better
I could quite easily pull 5 - 7 mobs and kill them.

No way this is true. There's some "I caught a fish this big!" exaggeration here.

Once in a while you can pull a big pack of mobs (~5). But it's not something you can do frequently, and it's definitely not something you can do easily.

Let's take a geared level 120 as an example (item level 310+). I'll be generous with numbers just to get the point across.

A typical outdoor World Quest mob has ~55k health. Let's say you pull 7 of those.

Void Eruption hits for 9k.
Let's say you've spec'd Dark Ascension as well. So 9k more.
Dark Void hits for 4k.
Shadow Crash hits for 5k.

Total damage from unleashing all your AoE cooldowns? 27k dmg.

The mobs still have 28k health remaining (49%).

How are you dealing with that, easily?

A typical mob hits for 3k damage. You have 7 x 3k = 21k incoming damage every time they take a swing.

Let's say you have ~90k health.

You can take 5 swings from that pack of mobs, and then you're dead.

You've used all your AoE cooldowns. They all have 28k health left (49%).

How are you dealing with that easily? Mind Sear? That spell tickles for ~3k dmg over its duration. You'd need to cast that 10 times to kill them! 10!

I've seen other Shadow Priests say they easily pull huge mob packs, but I've never seen anyone do it. I would love to see some footage of some Shadow Priest who just AoE pulls constantly with no problems, because I sure as hell cannot do it. And I can't really see where you're getting the damage from...

Edit: Math, it's hard!
Shadow is trash, not enjoying it at all. I wish it could be as it used to be in wotlk.

@Jito, it's not easy but possible. Using cd's CC, pvp talents.

Depending in mob hp, I can easily kill 5-7 with sanl'ayn talent+ve .

Also, sometimes l2p problem.
18/08/2018 22:26Posted by Moontear
Depending in mob hp, I can easily kill 5-7 with sanl'ayn talent+ve .

Yeah, I can do it too if I use pretty much every ability on my action bars (or a lot of them anyway!).

But you're not doing anything easily if you have to use so many cooldowns, and you have to resort to so much healing because you take so much damage.

That is not an easily performed task.

Call it something else then. A hail-mary pull that you can do when cooldowns are ready and you like livin' on the edge! Don't call it an easy pull.
Shadow was my favorite class/spec during MoP and partially WoD.

So much cool utility and shadow orbs + devouring plague remains as my most loved/satisfying rotation to this day.

I haven't played Shadow during Legion at all because it was such a step down gameplay wise when compared to MoP/WoD, it broke my hearth playing.

The fact that Blizzard somehow managed to make it even worse than it already was in Legion is blowing my mind.

Maybe one day when classic is successful and the expansion cycle repeats itself I can play my MoP shadow Priest once again and I make sure to enjoy every second of it.

(⌣̩̩́_⌣̩̩̀)
Shadow is good but needs a huge damage buff.. We are supposed to be a somehow dot class yet the tick damage is negligible , the burst is mediocre . getting out dpsed by any glacial spike, fire mage, warlocks ... even with lower ilevels .. lets not even try to 1v1 with a melee class, a 117 pally will reduce you to half of your hp in 5 seconds. Underwhelming to say the least.

Is voidform equal to a demon hunter metamorphosis? I'll take Pally's Divine shield over voidform any day lol.
18/08/2018 22:07Posted by Jito
I could quite easily pull 5 - 7 mobs and kill them.

No way this is true. There's some "I caught a fish this big!" exaggeration here.

Once in a while you can pull a big pack of mobs (~5). But it's not something you can do frequently, and it's definitely not something you can do easily.

Let's take a geared level 120 as an example (item level 310+). I'll be generous with numbers just to get the point across.

A typical outdoor World Quest mob has ~55k health. Let's say you pull 7 of those.

Void Eruption hits for 9k.
Let's say you've spec'd Dark Ascension as well. So 9k more.
Dark Void hits for 4k.
Shadow Crash hits for 5k.

Total damage from unleashing all your AoE cooldowns? 27k dmg.

The mobs still have 28k health remaining (49%).

How are you dealing with that, easily?

A typical mob hits for 3k damage. You have 7 x 3k = 21k incoming damage every time they take a swing.

Let's say you have ~90k health.

You can take 5 swings from that pack of mobs, and then you're dead.

You've used all your AoE cooldowns. They all have 28k health left (49%).

How are you dealing with that easily? Mind Sear? That spell tickles for ~3k dmg over its duration. You'd need to cast that 10 times to kill them! 10!

I've seen other Shadow Priests say they easily pull huge mob packs, but I've never seen anyone do it. I would love to see some footage of some Shadow Priest who just AoE pulls constantly with no problems, because I sure as hell cannot do it. And I can't really see where you're getting the damage from...

Edit: Math, it's hard!

Dude I am pretty bad at Math so I will not even comment on it. As someone else told me already, at 120 lvl spriests might be weaker than at my current lvl so idk... but currently, I pull mobs like this: I pop on a bubble (I have the void shield talent to improve it), I spam VT + SWP on each mob (I have Misery as a talent), a few shadow word voids (+ I have the psychic link talent), mind flay if needed to generate 60 insanity (got legacy of the void talent) then Void erruption + the void form rotation, then I repeat till they die. I always try to keep PWS up as much as I can, and use vampiric embrace before another void erruption if the damage taken is too strong and I am back at full healh pretty quickly. Sometimes I fear away a few mobs to heal a bit when embrace is on CD. I also have those traits where I get a small heal every 6 secs when I take damage and I also get a small heal every time a mob dies. I rarely ever use mind sear.
Have almost 300 days playtime on my shadow -priest but rerolled because it's in the worst state ever. I hope we will see devouring pleague return. And Shadow Word: Death should be a baseline spell.
18/08/2018 22:42Posted by Lillienne
I pull mobs like this: I pop on a bubble (I have the void shield talent to improve it), I spam VT + SWP on each mob (I have Misery as a talent), a few shadow word voids (+ I have the psychic link talent), mind flay if needed to generate 60 insanity (got legacy of the void talent) then Void erruption + the void form rotation, then I repeat till they die. I always try to keep PWS up as much as I can, and use vampiric embrace before another void erruption if the damage taken is too strong and I am back at full healh pretty quickly. Sometimes I fear away a few mobs to heal a bit when embrace is on CD.

Sure sure. I think that's the general approach that everyone uses, myself included. Talents and Warmode talents may vary of course, but generally you follow the approach of DoTs -> Blast -> Flay and then you weave in the cooldowns as needed.

I just object to the notion that if there's a pack of 4 mobs in front of you, and a patrol of 3 moving right next to them, then no Shadow Priest goes:

"That's 7 mobs! That's an easy pull if I ever saw one! Let me just grab them all right away!"

No Shadow Priest does that, because it's risky as hell. And if you do end up doing it, and live through it, then you're winging it, you're not doing something that's controlled or safe.
18/08/2018 22:48Posted by Nadríl
Have almost 300 days playtime on my shadow -priest but rerolled because it's in the worst state ever. I hope we will see devouring pleague return. And Shadow Word: Death should be a baseline spell.

I totally agree. Tank classes having 200k hp and our dots are ticking for 1k without crit...
18/08/2018 23:05Posted by Jito
18/08/2018 22:42Posted by Lillienne
I pull mobs like this: I pop on a bubble (I have the void shield talent to improve it), I spam VT + SWP on each mob (I have Misery as a talent), a few shadow word voids (+ I have the psychic link talent), mind flay if needed to generate 60 insanity (got legacy of the void talent) then Void erruption + the void form rotation, then I repeat till they die. I always try to keep PWS up as much as I can, and use vampiric embrace before another void erruption if the damage taken is too strong and I am back at full healh pretty quickly. Sometimes I fear away a few mobs to heal a bit when embrace is on CD.

Sure sure. I think that's the general approach that everyone uses, myself included. Talents and Warmode talents may vary of course, but generally you follow the approach of DoTs -> Blast -> Flay and then you weave in the cooldowns as needed.

I just object to the notion that if there's a pack of 4 mobs in front of you, and a patrol of 3 moving right next to them, then no Shadow Priest goes:

"That's 7 mobs! That's an easy pull if I ever saw one! Let me just grab them all right away!"

No Shadow Priest does that, because it's risky as hell. And if you do end up doing it, and live through it, then you're winging it, you're not doing something that's controlled or safe.

I just feel like pulling groups of mobs like that and killing elites got way easier for me after picking certain talents...especially void shield. I am quite happy with lvling as a shadow priest.
I decided to level my Paladin instead of my priest as I really don't enjoy shadow. Up until level 119 as ret I could round up huge groups of mobs and aoe them down with a few cds. Since hitting 120 I struggle with more than 2 mobs at a time and quite easily die
After the Legion changes I have barely used my shadow specc on my priest. it's just not fun for me anymore. Luckily I like questing in holy specc, and I dabble a bit in disc questing too.
18/08/2018 13:10Posted by Heymom
Watching the other classes clear content, puts me in a sad mood. If i pull more than 2 mobs, i need to use CDs just to stay alive.. while i see others just zerk things.

I come to the conclusion, that i dont enjoy playing this at all, and i might bench it till blizzard fix's the issues. Which is sad, as this have been my main since late TBC.

anyone enjoying shadow priest atm?

/wave from all arms warriors
18/08/2018 23:41Posted by Averagebuble
18/08/2018 13:10Posted by Heymom
Watching the other classes clear content, puts me in a sad mood. If i pull more than 2 mobs, i need to use CDs just to stay alive.. while i see others just zerk things.

I come to the conclusion, that i dont enjoy playing this at all, and i might bench it till blizzard fix's the issues. Which is sad, as this have been my main since late TBC.

anyone enjoying shadow priest atm?

/wave from all arms warriors

not sure what you mean by that, from what i can see warriors are doing fine. But i am about to find out, as i will be switching to my warrior.
No, shadow priest is the worst spec ever and I hate it. It's so disheartening to engage 2 mobs and spam your shield at every cd just to survive with 10% hp left and meanwhile a melee player runs by and kill the same mob like it was a joke. And I know this to be true as I also leveled a rogue to 120. It's ridiculous.
19/08/2018 13:22Posted by Aptuz
No, shadow priest is the worst spec ever and I hate it. It's so disheartening to engage 2 mobs and spam your shield at every cd just to survive with 10% hp left and meanwhile a melee player runs by and kill the same mob like it was a joke. And I know this to be true as I also leveled a rogue to 120. It's ridiculous.

Sounds like what i have experienced so far. Basically anyone but me, is just zerking things down and moving on.. while i have to pull carefully and heal after or.. corpse run :'(
I dislike the state of priest and unlike legion I have no interest in raiding with it, but as much I dreaded it leveling and overworld(also dungeons just based on legion) actually feels improved.

Having access to DA SC and Misery at once gives a far better AoE experience. People are making big pulls out to be risky, but with a double VEr with VE up you essentially heal from zero to full. Psychic scream also rarely breaks from dots alone so I can easily stall.

I do not see why using cooldowns is frowned upon. Oh sure I can't do it every pull, that doesn't mean it doesn't solve a big part of each kill quest. Sure it def gets worse at 120, but that happens with everyone.