WoW needs an ABUSIVE CHAT ban as Overwatch

General
23/08/2018 10:54Posted by Voerman
I like my chat as i like my blades, dripping with toxic material ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

You're a pirate, you liar :)

About this thread, I think we need to be really careful for what we wish for. What's the limit on the term "abusive"?

Is saying 'dispell please' considered as abusive to a healer who can't use his dispell because of a cooldown in a stressful situation?

Is saying 'kill skull" considered as abusive to a person who feels entitled to kill another target?

Those are pretty random examples and I agree that some behaviour is very problematic but don't make social interactions a hassle when you can just click ignore and be done with a 'toxic' player forever. This isn't Twitter.
23/08/2018 10:22Posted by Vunde
I wish anal spam got people banned. I always log off when that happens.
Really? lmfao, how about learning Trade chat when it happens, because it barely ever happens in any other chat channel.
After 14 years of playing wow i have seen my fair share of abusive chat or even worse.
It is something that is hard to rule out, even with any filters on, (grandpa speaks now) back in the day the only abusive chat i know of was to ton of Chuck Norris jokes spamming in the chat.
Or the Yo mama jokes that went on for hours, in that last case if the joke was questionable we all knew it was not that serious and it was a joke.

These days chat became much worse, if someone asks something they can get a respond like "Can't you google that sh*t you lazy f*ck instead of bothering us....and that is followed by a whole lot of other words that are not that appropiate.

I treat my public chat as if i am in a public place, i do not swear or be insulting, just because i do not know a single person (besides my guildies) in public chats.
Guildchat is a whole different thing, there you know people and there they know how far or not you can go with chat.

Ignoring a player to get rid of abusive/nasty chat is a solution but it is not THE solution, the person that you ignored is still on the chat to rampage in the chat to other peope, only you just do not see it anymore.
Not everyone is using the ignore function, so maybe it is time to have an automated system in place in the public channels (general/trade/LFG/Localdefense) that scans text on words like f*ck, sh*t, *ssh*le....you know the usual swearwords.
If the system then sees that a certain player uses those words to often it results in a silence for him/her on that channel.
First for an hour, if it happens again then again an hour, if it happens again then 24 hours of silence on ALL channels(including privat channels and guildchat) and if it happens again then a silence for a week, if it happens again then a GM pops in and suspends the account of the player for an x amount and when the suspension is lifted the person cannot speak ingame for a month.

Harsh words means harsh actions in my opinion, just be nice to each other in public makes the game so much more fun and worthwhile.
Life is filled with flaming people. You just need to learn to filter them out. Having blizzard act as some morale police regarding what is aloud to say or not would be terrible. Just let people say what they want. If you dont have manners, you wont be invited back into groups. Thats how it always has been. And hey, you have the option to activate the profanity filter if you feel that you are learning too many new swearwords.
Reported for sexism against men.

Any Automated Ban-silence-report system is a 2 way road son, remember that.
23/08/2018 03:16Posted by Dromash
As we all get tired of those men of keyboards and their cliche so called insults like "mom" involve things, we need a working report system like other blizzard games have for Abusive chat.

1. The report system does work. Whether it's "like Overwatch" or not is irrelevant - it works the way it is.

2. It doesn't need to work. Learn to use the /ignore function. I don't know what morbid satisfaction you get out of getting confirmation that someone got silenced a little for 24 hours, but it's absolutely pointless to this game and to the report system.

If the goal is to minimize abuse, the /ignore function is as effective as it gets - because it lets you instantly and with supreme judgment filter out the things or people *you* find offensive or unwanted for other reasons. It's more effective, more efficient, and WAY faster than reporting someone is.

Also, what if the GM doesn't find that the transgression wasn't severe enough to warrant a mute? Well then you've spent a lot of energy "trying to prevent abuse" without getting there, when you with sooo much less energy could have ignored them and 100% for sure prevented all and any abuse from that person until the end of time.

Or let's do it list-wise:

/ignore

Pros
  • Instant, meaning no wait time
  • You and you alone pass judgment

Cons
  • Don't get to punish other people
  • Get no borderline sadistic satisfaction of aforementioned punishment

Pros
  • Person is less likely to be able to proceed to abuse someone new

Cons
  • Not instant
  • You don't get to make up the rules
  • Might not last a long time even if it "succeeds"
There has been quite a rise in toxicity in the general community of WoW.
Just do a day of random dungeons and see what colourful people you get in your group.

As for ignoring and moving on, i'd rather these "toxic players" get dealt with appropriately, there's children playing this game, and some of the stuff i see passing by both in general chat trade chat or even in dungeons is way way too far out there.
23/08/2018 16:00Posted by Avariya
Just do a day of random dungeons and see what colourful people you get in your group.

As for ignoring and moving on, i'd rather these "toxic players" get dealt with appropriately, there's children playing this game, and some of the stuff i see passing by both in general chat trade chat or even in dungeons is way way too far out there.

I agree but people will call you a SJW for saying it, even though we are right. Toxicity needs purging from the game.
23/08/2018 16:03Posted by Dottie

I agree but people will call you a SJW for saying it, even though we are right. Toxicity needs purging from the game.

I'm actually against the SJW culture as a whole.
However... when there's children involved, and there are with the current ESRB rating, I strongly feel that things need to be moderated to cull out toxicity from the community.
23/08/2018 16:03Posted by Dottie

Toxicity exists because bad players are allowed to destroy the game for others. You can be sure I'm going to flame someone that wipes my dungeon run, sits afk in skirmish or runs into the enemy team with the flag in BGs. Those people need to be removed from the game.

Stop pandering to the bad people, stop putting the bad people in peoples groups, stop allowing them to ruin the game for others and you'd see less toxicity.
23/08/2018 03:16Posted by Dromash
As we all get tired of those men of keyboards and their cliche so called insults like "mom" involve things, we need a working report system like other blizzard games have for Abusive chat.

The community has a lot of players who are thinking that they are the best (the truth is completely the opposite.) and they are behaving to others in worst way possible. As a result they are destroying the game for those who are trying to just have fun and enjoy the content.

Even a good behavior is not working for those ignorant players. Cause they are the so called the best. You can't even tell them what they are doing wrong. If you do, they will have a very interesting sexual fantasy with your mother. (I didn't use ignorant as an insult. the situation and actions of those players are called ignorance. knowing nothing, assuming that knowing everything.)

I don't know if it's just a coincidence but most of those ignorant players are playing in Kazzak or Twisting Nether. At least according to my experience.

So what we need is a satisfying banning system like overwatch has. After getting enough number of reports from accounts (not different characters because one mad man can bomb your account with reports.) the account should be silenced. They should not be able to queue to PuGs or chat with anyone except their guild members and battletag friends.

In the mean time there should be a mail send to the reporters that someone got ban after our reports. So we will know reports are not for nothing and keep reporting and try to be nicer in case of a ban.

We dont get tired of it, you just got insulted and you got salty and starting some fuss on the forums lmao
It all seems way too dramatic to me. Nobody can 'destroy' the game via toxic chat.
The game is the game. same as always, the game is not chat channels, nor forums.

As others have said, you have the tools available to never read anything they write in chat channels again.

Grow up a little.
23/08/2018 18:00Posted by Hornhide
It all seems way too dramatic to me. Nobody can 'destroy' the game via toxic chat.
The game is the game. same as always, the game is not chat channels, nor forums.

As others have said, you have the tools available to never read anything they write in chat channels again.

Grow up a little.

Sadly in a game that has an ESRB of 13, i'd rather the toxicity within chats just get quelled by proper moderation such as banning people.
A child, yes 13 years old is still considered a child, should not have to "grow up" as you put it.
They should be able to enjoy the game without having to deal with toxicity.
23/08/2018 18:49Posted by Avariya
23/08/2018 18:00Posted by Hornhide

Grow up a little.

Sadly in a game that has an ESRB of 13, i'd rather the toxicity within chats just get quelled by proper moderation such as banning people.
A child, yes 13 years old is still considered a child, should not have to "grow up" as you put it.
They should be able to enjoy the game without having to deal with toxicity.

They can turn off trade chat and all other chat channels if it's that much of a problem. I have my trade, general, and LFG channels turned off, and I don't feel like I'm missing out on anything useful or helpful. I rarely see any toxic crap appear in raids, dungeon runs, guild chat, etc because I'm not a toxic person, therefore I don't attract it from others. There's the ignore function, the Badboy addons, reporting, etc. Blizzard doesn't need to do anything else imo.

13 year olds aren't usually as innocent as you think they are btw. Wrapping them in cotton wool, and demanding auto-bans, etc isn't going to solve the problem. Teaching 13 year olds how to handle toxic people properly is the trick. ;) After all, they'll likely come across them throughout their entire lives. Might as well teach them self-control and how to handle toxicity from others early on.
would be nice to see some statistics about amount reported by people and how many actually got a punishment / warning
What this game needs is people with one working finger to click that ignore button and thicker skin.

People these days seem to have such a fragile fee fees and thin skin that they are hospitalized if someone so much as sneezes in their general direction.

Sticks and stones and all that...
23/08/2018 22:42Posted by Hezar
What this game needs is people with one working finger to click that ignore button and thicker skin.

People these days seem to have such a fragile fee fees and thin skin that they are hospitalized if someone so much as sneezes in their general direction.

It's not a matter of being fragile. If someone online calls me a f*g or wishes me cancer, I don't care, to me their insults are worthless exactly like them.
But I still report them because it's against the rules, and those people make the game less enjoyable for many others.
Looka all the SJW's and speshul snowflakes crying.

"But...BUT! Mr GM! The bwad players said bwad wwurds to me and made me cwy! PUNISH THEM!!!11111"

Multiple in-game solutions to "abusive" chat exists. Use them, stop bogging GM's time down because your delicate feelings have been hurt and you think that's a hate crime. Develop thicker skin, broader shoulders and grow up.

Mature language filter says hi and if you're going to let them play games that's full of adult players, with accompanying adult themes and adult chat, then that's a parenting fail and you need to take a look at why you're allowing your crystal prince/princess to play an MMO.