Why does everyone assume every female character is a girl?

General
Prev 1 6 7 8 Next
Play gobo. No one will ask you anything.
04/09/2018 09:27Posted by Blayser
Men playing women in online games are insecure abt their own gender.

I'm a guy who likes guys. Very manly guys.

I'd still rather run around on this character than yours with your boyband bangs and wannabe-hip dad beard. Go back to the 90s!
04/09/2018 09:49Posted by Pip
Play gobo. No one will ask you anything.

Pfft! I met my partner in game smarty-pants. I play a female character because as a female it just feels right but I don't think anything about anyone who plays the opposite gender, it simply doesn't matter :)
strange, op??..i don't get that at all...:p
'assumption is the mother of all f....'
You want to tell me that female characters aren't actual female IRL?! Why have I been such a nice guy towards them!

That's why I never played any tomb raider game.
Oh wait I did and I'm perfectly happy with everything about everything.

Who cares what character you role.

/facepalm
04/09/2018 09:49Posted by Symptom

I'm a guy who likes guys. Very manly guys.

I'd still rather run around on this character than yours with your boyband bangs and wannabe-hip dad beard. Go back to the 90s!

Please don't insult the 90s by implying we looked as boring as him.
04/09/2018 10:13Posted by Naeya
Please don't insult the 90s by implying we looked as boring as him.

Hah! I miss some of my gear from then. I'd still totally rock joggy bottoms with buttons up the side.
Some very ignorant people in this thread , i am half expecting somebody to come with a freudian explanation and a 5 page essay why people play the oposite gender in video games .

Maybe because i like the male cast animation ?
Maybe because i thought of a really cool char name and it only fits male ?
Maybe because it's a fantasy game and people are being petty questioning why i choose different sex for my caracter but forget we have orcs taurens and dog people.?

On topic i have never been asked if i was a girl when i am playing my female blood elves 100% of the time i would interact with someone they would just call me dude regardless of the gender of my caracter.
As a male who always plays female characters in any game if given the chance to (because I prefer the main character to be female) I always refer to people as "they" if I don't know their IRL sex.
03/09/2018 20:41Posted by Moritz
Let me guess.
You're a man who gets upset that people are assuming you're a woman because you run around pretending to be one.

Moritz just won the thread.
03/09/2018 19:21Posted by Goldra
I'm tired of questions in game whether i'm a girl or not, no i'm a 20 year old man. I'm constantly have to say "No, i'm a dude stop being gay"

I always play female characters when i play caster classes cause i don't wanna look at a dude in a robe. Yeah you can transmog but casters look better in robes in my opinion.

Excuse me, are you single? 23 year old female asking.
You can tell things about a person based on their avatar the more invested they are in that avatar so I've always considered RP communities a freudian gold mine of sorts.

But trying to guess some stranger's gender and motivations based on their avatar is a bit like trying to diagnose someone with an illness based on a fairly superficial symptom, like sneezing, without knowing the person's age or medical history or... well, anything.
03/09/2018 19:35Posted by Goc
I assume everyone is a male until proven otherwise.

You dare assume my gender?
I think it is very sexist and harassing by blizz to only give the option for two playable genders.
03/09/2018 19:21Posted by Goldra
I'm tired of questions in game whether i'm a girl or not, no i'm a 20 year old man. I'm constantly have to say "No, i'm a dude stop being gay"

I always play female characters when i play caster classes cause i don't wanna look at a dude in a robe. Yeah you can transmog but casters look better in robes in my opinion.

I know gay men you wouldn`t want to say "Stop being gay" to.
I play female characters, and im a girl IRL. Mostly ppl just called me dude so far.
Can happen either way really. I dont experience even that a lot though.
I play both genders in game but my main is this toon and I’m a girl in irl I kinda have a thing for male Night Elf's however I have male friends who play female characters so I can understand why people would assume your a guy at first. Just like they would with someone who’s playing as a male character. Whenever they assume I’m a guy I just correct them and we laugh it off and move on. Simple. And more guys play games then girls so yeah people are going to assume someone a guy until corrected.
But if you don't like it play a male.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L8FkKPueOY0
04/09/2018 10:58Posted by Kazejin
Maybe because i like the male cast animation ?
Maybe because i thought of a really cool char name and it only fits male ?

This is what determines what gender I play sometimes. For instance I really like the animations on Blood Elf male Hunters better then the female ones. It’s just preferences for me.