any tips for a noob Disc Priest?

Priest
so I've been playing WoW for about 5 yrs at least and decided to try my hand at healing and was wondering if any experienced Disc Priests out there have any advice i.e if there r any addons I should have installed to make it easier etc. One things for sure, I'm only at lvl 30 and after levelling to that via dungeon spamming and I realized just how much I took healers for granted. Boy can healing b stressful at times
I know that it sounds clichè and overused, but practice makes perfection.
icyveins, simcraft and tons of other sites can help you out with theorycrafting, addons and specific tools that fits you. But in the end, the theory without the practice is useless.
Healing through the dungeons is a good way to start.
VuhDo is always good to have oh & DBM or something similar
Cast smite
For addons, you have to find whatever is easier for you. I generally only use gladius and that new bg targets (don't remember what it's called, that lists your and the enemy team in easy to use frames), but those only work in pvp, and I use dbm for pve, weakauras, lost control, omni cc, and some auction house and mail addons (not important for gameplay).

As for tips... not much here, it's pretty straightforward. In pve (dungeons and raids), when you need to single target heal you have two options - penance on friendly target and shadow mend - and you should be mindful to have atonement up on the target before you penance / shadowmend because otherwise you don't benefit from your mastery, and for multitarget you should have atonements up before healthbars went down either through multiple shield applications on different targets or through radiance, and then do big damage to anything (doesn't matter if they have some kind of dmg reduction, doesn't reduce your healing unless the target is immune).

As far as priorities go in dungeons and raids, keep shadow word: pain as close to 100% uptime as reasonably possible given the situation, generally use penance on cd unless you are expecting to need it for big burst healing in the next 3-5 seconds, save schism for burst aoe healing if you estimate it will be needed in the near future (under 24 seconds), halo when you need bigger aoe healing (it is really strong for disc) if you can manage it without pulling 3 more packs of trash, solace on cooldown, don't overuse shields except as atonement applications or during rapture, as they cost too much mana and offer too little throughput. Try to use your two big cooldowns when you get most impact out of them: pain suppression is most effective while the target still has health, not when it is really low (it is a damage reduction cooldown, which practically increases the EHP of the target by a lot). PW:Barrier can be used similar to PS, for a single target, but the most effective use is when the entire group, or as much of it as possible, can benefit. If you have Luminous Barrier specced, you needn't worry about the group spread, but it is worth noting that it is weaker than PW: Barrier.

In raids in particular, Evangelism is used to extend a burst window. The way you setup a burst window is like this: you look at the DBM timer. When it reaches 12 seconds until a big AOE damage event, you start applying shields. When it reaches 4 seconds until the big AOE damage event, you cast 2 radiances, each of them having as a first target a player that doesn't have atonement and that is preferably positioned as much as possible in the center of your raid group's spread (it benefits from smart targeting for atonement application purposes). When you did all that, you should have some 6 shields + atonements, and another 12 atonements from radiance. Immediately after the big AOE damage event hits, you cast Evangelism > Schism > Solace > Penance > Smite (x2 or x3). If the AOE damage event was huge, you could also use your Shadowfiend before the Schism. This way you will do ridiculous AOE healing. Also in raids, you will need to be a bit mindful of your mana. This is pretty much all you need to do as disc, easy peasy.

It is kinda the same in pvp, except in pvp you also have access to pvp talents, which might change your playstyle, and there are live opponents in possession of lots of CC, so you need to adapt to those.

In rated bgs, you might want to run ultimate radiance, premonition and archangel. Ultimate radiance offers you access to multi-target instant atonement plus it heals a good amount on it's own. Premonition is a 12 second cd atonement extender that might also even prevent some CC on you. Archangel is a 1 minute cooldown 15 sec healing powerup that also acts as an atonement extender. You will play like in raids, but also making use of all these amazingly fun pvp tools that extend atonement (reapplying atonement is the most tedious part of playing disc, so these mechanics that help you bypass that will make the class lots more fun for you :) ).

In arenas, sometimes you will have Trinity, which removes the capability of your shadow mend and radiance to apply atonement and also limits you to a maximum of 3 atonements at a time, but causes atonement applied by pw:s to last 30 seconds, and increases atonement healing done by 12%. You will also be able to contribute to your team's offense by spamming dispel on a focus target, and crucially by enhancing the team setup once every minute with Dark Archangel. In general, you will need to figure out what talents to pick for what situation.

Good luck and have fun!
I wouldn't recommend it in random heroic dungeons at 120.
Dont worry, long has passed since healing required attention and some management. Now just go blindfolded and press buttons (works better in pvp)
My advice use class forum
Smite reduces damage dealt by the mob.
Keep atonement up on tank at all times.
Use penance on tank only when his health get's critical, otherwise use it on mobs.
Toss shield on players to start healing them, keep shield up at tank.
Cast radiance, and then deal damadge to aoe heal.
02/09/2018 05:03Posted by Eynaenya
Boy can healing b stressful at times

Best advice for Disc is to be proactive.

You don't really have any bail out burst AoE healing compared to other classes, which is where you struggle as a spec. You can't just throw out a Tranquillity or a Hymn and largely ignore a mechanic, for example.

You have to prepare for incoming damage, not only as it happens. It is certainly one of the more challenging healing specs because it isn't like any others, but you do get used to it.
my brief stint as a healer made me begin to really despise PUG's "oh whats that? u need a mana break? nah lol, screw your mana break, I'm pulling EVERYTHING" *tank gets his !@# kicked* "where were my heals?!?!?"

even just 10 levels, i started as a Nightborne and in just 10 lvls my stress levels are insanely high when fulfilling a role as healer...or trying to at least fill my role as healer when I'm unfortunate enough to b put in a group with an overconfident and impatient tank or a dpser who is too impatient and decides to start pulling mobs instead of letting the tank do it

my experience as a healer made me heavily appreciate healers in raids, I swear u guys must have like 10 hands all working together to keep everyone alive, especially if its LFR and full of idiots who stand in the fire

Mainly chose a Nightborne priest because I wanna get the Nightborne heritage armor which does NOT look right on anyone other than casters (wish there were diff variants of heritage armor i.e one that looks like its for casters and other that look like its for warriors etc) and mages are just a complete snorefest and have the most generic spells ever and it doesnt really make sense to me why a Nightborne would be a warlock seeing as how y'know....demons and everything. *sigh* I'm probably either gonna stop dungeon spamming healing at this point and just lvl up via questing or just stop playing a priest and go back to the stress free dpsing or try my hand at tanking.
Read some guides on Disc healing, unlike any other healing spec it's not just about spamming pure healing spells to heal. Once you get into the swing of it you'll love it.

It still can be stressful, personally I hate healing any sort of LFG or pug at 120, and stick to healing in guild groups. Friends are much more likely to forgive you your mistakes and laugh at / with you.
In Pugs:
Heal the mage, they always stand in stuff because "cast time and dps loss dude, heal me through it"
Ignore the Blood DK (they will out heal you)
Laugh at the rogue "stop dps'ing and heal me"

Or...
Work out a efficent heal to dps rotation, keep bubbles rolling on people you like, and if push comes to shove, let the mage die and shadowmend the tank.
If people die (other than the tank), its because they were taking too much damage, which means a) they stood in stuff or the wrong place or b) they didnt interupt

its a pug f'em
my current rotation is simple cast power word; shield on tank when he pulls mobs and then just use the healing spell shadow mend when their health goes down. I dont use offense spells because well...I'm a healer, am I making any stupid mistakes?
02/09/2018 23:23Posted by Eynaenya
my current rotation is simple cast power word; shield on tank when he pulls mobs and then just use the healing spell shadow mend when their health goes down. I dont use offense spells because well...I'm a healer, am I making any stupid mistakes?

Yes.
02/09/2018 23:07Posted by Aurori
Ignore the Blood DK (they will out heal you)

Please don't do that, the blood DK does not want a panic attack.
02/09/2018 05:03Posted by Eynaenya
so I've been playing WoW for about 5 yrs at least and decided to try my hand at healing and was wondering if any experienced Disc Priests out there have any advice i.e if there r any addons I should have installed to make it easier etc. One things for sure, I'm only at lvl 30 and after levelling to that via dungeon spamming and I realized just how much I took healers for granted. Boy can healing b stressful at times

op please dont listne to the people telling you to simcraft and weigh stats and min max and blah blah blah ...

the best way to be a good player and good at your class is actually getting your hands dirty and failing a few times , then trying to improve where you went wrong.

example.. you find a boss hard to kill .. keep running that boss until it isn't hard anymore.

i personally don't use any addons and no macros which effect my combat or cooldowns or ui .. i used everything default and play just as good as the next player ..

its just keep trying and you will improve .. don't believe the hype behind min maxing and spreadsheets these people are the ones which will prob tell you a class is bad and under performing when in reality its just them playing it wrong.
02/09/2018 23:23Posted by Eynaenya

you should put attonments up on the tank by casting shield .. then attack the monsters to heal .. only use shadow mend when under heavy stress.

with attunment on a player they get healing as you deal damage.

also use the DOT on as many of the mobs as you can the TICK of the dot is a nice HOT for the people who have attunment on them.
If anyone promotes castigation in this thread ignore it.
Schism + solace + sins is a very strong versatile talent set up. It offers regular burst and better damage utility. It's a lot more binds but it pays off once you learn it
03/09/2018 02:10Posted by Sùnbro
i personally don't use any addons and no macros which effect my combat or cooldowns or ui .. i used everything default and play just as good as the next player ..

You don't use any macros or addons as a disc priest?
Interesting.