Petition: Battle Pet Ladder!

Pet Battles
Yes, it would be an awesome idea for people like myself and many other who wants to get competitive about this awesome feature. Please comment down if you agree with a ladder for Battle Pets.
There have been calls, from a very very few people, for a more competitive framework for PvP pet battles.

PvP pet battles at any given time are dominated by a small "meta" of half-a-dozen or so strong and easy to use pets. This is generally agreed bad.

The very short objection is that, with current systems, more competitive play would lead to an intensification of this rather dull meta.

If you want to hear an official answer from the horse's mouth:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ep2OUD0W2CA&t=776
I’d really love a competitive ladder the match ups would be fairer and you’d avoid the constant stream of players trying to get family brawler.
The problem is as Gráinne mentions you would play the same few OP pets at the time. I’m already sick of TCS, imps, sunlight and wrymy. Even though there is a massive amount of viable pets at the moment the try hards would run the lowest skill highest win strategies and its boring to beat the pets not the player.
Yep, please no Ladder its just cot compatible in a meta where the pets/teams aren't particularly balanced and the strongest are easily identified with a quick search online. Anyone who has ever played hearthstone will know what I mean. At least when there is almost nothing to actually gain by winning players don't mind losing so will experiment with new fun teams some of the time.
09/09/2018 15:35Posted by ßløødbáth
Yes, it would be an awesome idea for people like myself and many other who wants to get competitive about this awesome feature. Please comment down if you agree with a ladder for Battle Pets.

I am all for this idea, but only if they add restrictions that would promote pet variety (something like: after you win a fight with a pet, you cannot use it again in any rated game until the weekly reset, this is a raw suggestion which needs improvements, I am putting it here simply as an example, they can do something else).
09/09/2018 19:10Posted by Gráinne
There have been calls, from a very very few people, for a more competitive framework for PvP pet battles.

PvP pet battles at any given time are dominated by a small "meta" of half-a-dozen or so strong and easy to use pets. This is generally agreed bad.

The very short objection is that, with current systems, more competitive play would lead to an intensification of this rather dull meta.

If you want to hear an official answer from the horse's mouth:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ep2OUD0W2CA&t=776

A ladder is also incredibly easy to abuse. You can literally say who you are (your toon and server) by naming your pets.
I’m not sure how you would abuse a ladder considering one player would go up in rating and another would drop down. I guess you could snipe someone else but abusing it would probably cause both players to lose out.
11/09/2018 06:50Posted by Lswindrunner
A ladder is also incredibly easy to abuse. You can literally say who you are (your toon and server) by naming your pets.

Why is knowing who I am playing against at all a problem? I know who I am playing against in an arena, their names and servers are right there on the screen. They know who they are playing against as well. And this is fine.

Or you mean what - wintrades? They are solved by having tons of people, this makes it hard to wintrade efficiently.
11/09/2018 14:35Posted by Mellinora
They are solved by having tons of people

But first you have to get tons of people into PvP battling.

Traditionally, people in PvP battling have been more commonly measured in ounces (or grams in metric countries.) :)

Which gets back to the chicken-and-egg problem. To get people, you need

a) an entry path and
b) rewards and
c) a way of mixing up the meta so we don't all die of tedium

The rewards don't have to be huge.

Considering the vast amount of Island pets, on RNG no less, I don't see why PvP can't have more pet rewards. But they do have to be meaningful. Right now, the reward for the weekly 10 PvP wins is a burger. That's right, a burger. That was appropriate back in Mists, when it was equivalent to a Celestial Tournament weekly win, the hardest pet content in the game? Nowadays a burger belongs on the SuperSaver menu.

But I've written about all this many times before.