Troubles of DBM creator.

General
16/09/2018 19:09Posted by Lonkerosetä
It is also also truly horrifying to learn there has been no support from blizzard to addons

I mean.. They have no ownership of the addons at all, its player made content, which means they really dont need to support addons at all.

But im sorry to hear that the creator is in bad health =(
17/09/2018 07:34Posted by Narelaea
It is also also truly horrifying to learn there has been no support from blizzard to addons

I mean.. They have no ownership of the addons at all, its player made content, which means they really dont need to support addons at all.

they neither have ownership of fan art, wowhead or streamers, yet they encourage and support them. Support does not only means giving money.

Where as addons have way higher impact on game, but not on sales which actiblizz only cares.

That is what I meant, I guess I was bit unclear.
17/09/2018 07:34Posted by Narelaea

they neither have ownership of wowhead or streamers, yet they encourage and support them. Support not only means giving money.

Where as addons have way higher impact on game, but not on sales which actiblizz only cares.

That is what I meant, I guess I was bit unclear.

Ah then I understand you. =)
This is Radio PUG group, listen and cry.
To all the others, that suffer and die.
16/09/2018 19:51Posted by Darthtoon

I read that post the OP linked and it seems fishy, in more ways than one.

Also the first thing I noticed - they have a Patreon.

Seems like a crowdfunding scam.

thats what i think as well .. getting dental surgery can be expensive but there is no reason why he cant get a job and pay for it ... if he gave up wow and saved the sub cost each month..

i wont help someone who doesn't help themselves as horrible as that sounds

So let me get this right, you wont help someone who has given possibly THE most fundamentally important addon that has been around in game for year's?

You wont support someone who has given thousands of his life's hours coding and fixing and testing something that you can use for free and clearly take for granted?

Lost for words at your comments, how utterly disgusting.
16/09/2018 19:21Posted by Poly
I have health issues because I can't afford medical insurance or to have dental surgery I need. I take fish antibiotics to manage an abscess tooth I've had since legion pre expansion event. Unfortunately, as my body has gotten more resistant to antibiotics, the infection has spread to 2 other teeth and even begun to spread to parts of my jaw now and if I don't have it treated soon, it could escalate into a blood infection. I've delayed it as long as I could with self medicating to try and save up money to get treatment.

God bless America.
Apparently DBM creator has financial and health issues.

https://www.deadlybossmods.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1135&f=3

Since DBM has made pugs somewhat tolerable, I cannot see myself playing game if regular joe does not have DBM-like addons.

Therefore I think he deserves our support, I mean I can't recall many people playing without dbm or bigwigs and it pains me to hear creator of such wonderful addon is in troubles when some obnoxious streaming is making tons of moolah.

It is also also truly horrifying to learn there has been no support from blizzard to addons or from addon providing sites to addons which have been active and popular for so long that they design fights them in mind.
Since Blizzard heavy enforces that no one can charge directly from addons (Donations can be made).

I kind of assumed he was already on blizz payroll somehow since they got so much useless workers, like people who came up with azerite system, island expedition or pokem..I mean pet battles.

Fault lies in many things.
Curse for example would never been popular without dbm and other famous addons.

Hi, Saw this post on the US forums whilst on my US acc. Whilst I do not want to become a patreon, I would like to make a one off contribution as my way of saying thank you to all the effort and time this Individual has given to enriching the game for so many, for so long.
Does anyone know if this is possible?
17/09/2018 04:53Posted by Trophee
No. They're not. They're just thinking people, which everyone should be.

That's fine when someone is being deliberately opaque or leaving questions unanswered. When all the information is in front of you, however, being cynical and cagey is mere laziness, because it's easier to mistrust something than it is to go out and learn about it.

Go be happy somewhere else. Subjectivity and overkill empathy always work, I'm sure of it, as does not fact-checking what anyone says and acting fully based on our emotions.

You realise this is what the cynical folks in this thread are doing, don't you? Subjectively deciding a situation warrants cynicism without fact-checking, then reacting cynically based on their negative emotions.

Plus, even if it is a scam and he's lying about everything, I'm risking maybe a fiver. If he's willing to lie so convincingly, and he's going to keep DBM going either way, why worry about that? If you're so opposed to being scammed out of such a tiny stake in return for continued DBM then to me that suggests self esteem issues on your part.

17/09/2018 08:33Posted by Ashadeus

There's a paypal link in the reddit thread:

https://www.reddit.com/r/wow/comments/9gat0b/update_on_the_future_of_deadly_boss_mods_by_its/
Some of the posts here are vile. Even if nothing he said was true, he's given me more for free over the last 10 years than most actual content producers. For the price of a sixpack, I can support him for a year or more. WoW is played by millions, and if only a few thousand people gave him €1 a month, he'd have no trouble doing it for years to come.

But I don't think he's lying. His concerns are entirely realistic and legitimate, and he explained in his thread that Blizzard themselves offered him a job, but he chose not to move to California to work there so that he could care for his mother.

It's easy to forget living here in the EU, that America can be a !@#$ed up place. It's easy to end up with no one to help you there, especially from the government. Unlike where I live, the lower class there get ground into dust without remorse by living costs and shamelessly inflated expenses. I'm happy to help out someone caught in that trap when they've earned it 1000 times over.
Dental care cost a ton so I don't think he's lying when he says he needs money. My mom had to dish out more than 20k to cover the expense of it.
Even so, I feel like it's a bit fishy how it's written so I'd proceed with caution.
I donated to his paypal.

It wasn't because of his story.

It was because I sat back and imagined all the time, effort and sacrifices that one guy must have made to keep DBM running so well for so long. With me using it for the entire time i have been playing and not giving it a second thought, my donation was more of a 'thank you' to the guy than a 'pity' or a charity thing.

I understand peoples points that he may have some issues with 'addiction to wow' and whatnot, that doesn't detract from the work he has put into an addon which in some ways has become a vital organ/vein in wow.
BigWigs is better anyway.
Blizz should put him on some kind of payroll.
He have done so much for the community. I and many others would not be raiding of not for him. For many guild it's a baseline must to have dbm if you want to join the raid grp
I could not have said it any better then than the person above me Slugtrail.
17/09/2018 01:24Posted by Orlen
Reading this thread is like being on a roller coaster.

Faith in Humanity restored.
Faith in Humanity lost.

Some really vile people here.

No those people are people who don't take everything at face value. So count me in as one of those "vile" people. I would generalize (using your rules of engagement) people who swallow everything at face value without evidence as "vile" people. Look around. You'll find them. Usually yelling at people who look or sound a bit different... But that's a topic for a forum outside of a videogame.

Plus, even if it is a scam and he's lying about everything, I'm risking maybe a fiver. If he's willing to lie so convincingly, and he's going to keep DBM going either way, why worry about that?

Are you really that stupid or are you havin' a larf

Can you imagine the incredulous looks he would swap with his bank manager if everyone thought like you just did?

"wow... They believed it... Now I'm a fuggin millionaire overnight..."

Before I hand over once cent to a person fundraising online I expect to see proof. I don't care if it's girl scouts selling cookies to go to camp this year.

However.
You want to throw your money at a possible scam based on what you're read or seen on the internet... Go right ahead. Your money, do what you like with it. Just don't go thinking you can peer pressure others into following suit.

"You read it on the internet so it must be true"
We are not vile people because we don’t believe everything we read on the internet.

It was his choice to spend that amount of time on the addon.

What about all the other people who can’t afford dental work? Or even food? Why is he so special? If you want to help people you should do it out of the kindness of your heart, not because you want something out of it.
16/09/2018 19:44Posted by Darthtoon
hmm is there photo proof of this ? seems bit .. fishy... no pun intended

no offense to the guy i hope he gets healthy soon but maybe its time he gave up wow altogether and actually made progress irl ..

WOW can live without DBM but he cant live without caring for himself.

I can't of agree. If DBM has been run by just one guy for what? More than 10 Years by now and he still has not figured out of to monetize his addon, while curse became a successful brand and business, sponsor and finally sold out to amazon for an undisclosed amount, most likely a sum in the 9 digits, maybe even 10.

If anyone should pay that guy, it's actually curse. They are making money off him for over 10 years now and he seems to be literally writing their most popular addon ... having over 200,000,000 downloads on curse-forged.com

Every other addon from curse is a tiny by comparison.

And btw, his Patreon suggests that he is making tons of money right now:

https://www.patreon.com/deadlybossmods
100% reached
"With this, I can stuff my mattress with 100 dollar bills and have a computer chair made out of gold (if you can't tell by now, I'm being silly. Don't reach this goal. You've exceeded all my expectations and more.)"

Posting history suggests that he is making some noise each time the Patreon level goes down to much ... so I guess in a way he is monetizing is addon rather well.
17/09/2018 04:53Posted by Trophee
No. They're not. They're just thinking people, which everyone should be.

Plus, even if it is a scam and he's lying about everything, I'm risking maybe a fiver. If he's willing to lie so convincingly, and he's going to keep DBM going either way, why worry about that? If you're so opposed to being scammed out of such a tiny stake in return for continued DBM then to me that suggests self esteem issues on your part.

https://www.reddit.com/r/wow/comments/9gat0b/update_on_the_future_of_deadly_boss_mods_by_its/

That's fine when someone is being deliberately opaque or leaving questions unanswered. When all the information is in front of you, however, being cynical and cagey is mere laziness, because it's easier to mistrust something than it is to go out and learn about it.

[quote]Go be happy somewhere else. Subjectivity and overkill empathy always work, I'm sure of it, as does not fact-checking what anyone says and acting fully based on our emotions.

You realise this is what the cynical folks in this thread are doing, don't you? Subjectively deciding a situation warrants cynicism without fact-checking, then reacting cynically based on their negative emotions.

There's a paypal link in the reddit thread:

Thanks for the paypal link. Donation made.
Hi, Saw this post on the US forums whilst on my US acc. Whilst I do not want to become a patreon, I would like to make a one off contribution as my way of saying thank you to all the effort and time this Individual has given to enriching the game for so many, for so long.

Randomly click one of the tiers and on the pledge page if you scroll down there's the option to give a "custom pledge without selecting a tier". You can do a one-off contribution that way.