Former Blizz Dev thinks 2021+

Classic Discussion
https://wccftech.com/wow-classic-release-after-2021-staats-believes/

Just sharing the last piece of not-really-information

"Blizzard’s former World of Warcraft 3D Level Designer, Jonathan Staats, believes that WoW Classic will release after 2021.

That’s what Staats, who is responsible for half of Vanilla WoW’s instanced dungeons, and 90% of its non-instanced dungeons, said during a Classic World of Warcraft AMA on the ClassicWoW Reddit.

“If Classic comes out…I’m guessing after 2021. MMOs are tough, they take a lot of time and testing”, the level designer replied when asked about Classic’s release.

An interesting reply since Staats seems to imply that it might even be a question whether WoW Classic will be released at some point at all."
Meh, guess work. He stopped working for Blizzard after Titan failed in 2014. So he hasn't been in the loop of Blizzard affairs for years. He and the author of the article, doesn't provide any source to back up this claim. I really wouldn't give it much thought.
His 2021 estimate has 0 bearing.
If they don’t announce classic releasing at 2019 this blizzcon, I will seriously consider going to pserver. It looks absurd that re-release of already complete game takes the same time as it took them to make wow from scratch.
15/09/2018 07:12Posted by Агграэль
If they don’t announce classic releasing at 2019 this blizzcon, I will seriously consider going to pserver. It looks absurd that re-release of already complete game takes the same time as it took them to make wow from scratch.

This. I understand that the process of porting the game to the modern structure isn't something you can do with a snap of fingers, but 2021? Even 2020 seems stupidly long to re-release a game that is already done, the porting process cannot possibly take that long, might aswell make the game from scratch and you'll end up getting the job done faster.
The feeling of everyone's impatience grows. Naming the dates like 2021+ doesn't help.
The thing is, if we don't get a release date on Blizzcon in November. I seriously think it's not getting a release in 2019. The hype is going to be so dead.
Classic will be my retirement from WoW altogether. Cant really wait that long..
Blizzard should ask some of the 'experts' here for assistance. They'd be done in a week ... :rolleyes:
The difference with Classic is that it is not a new game. They don't need to create new assets or zones. It is all about coding and bugtesting (and apparently making the new UI disappear and the old one coming back along with graphics).

Mostly backend stuff anyways.
They announced Classic way too early if these estimation is accurate. I hope Classic releases next summer.
What strikes me is that this guy makes an estimation even though he is a Level Designer, and literally zero level design is involved in making Classic
Eh, it's all guesswork. His estimations are based on experience of creating new content, balancing, tweaking. For Classic all of this is done already - from content to game design, everything is DONE, and as long as they re-create instead of "improving" things - they don't need to spend time on tweaking and testing it.

They will test technical things, to be sure, but I don't see that taking 4 years even with the smallest of teams.

They have the engine (modern). They have the content (classic databases, models, geodata). What they need is bring those two together. It is easy and fast? no. But does it take 4 years? No, it doesn't.
15/09/2018 08:29Posted by Uaral
The thing is, if we don't get a release date on Blizzcon in November. I seriously think it's not getting a release in 2019. The hype is going to be so dead.
No it won't. The hype didn't die over 13 years. It can survive for longer, and I bet you even if they do release in in 2021 - they will re-invigorate that hype train before release like you can't even imagine.
15/09/2018 13:15Posted by Mirtle
15/09/2018 08:29Posted by Uaral
No it won't. The hype didn't die over 13 years. It can survive for longer, and I bet you even if they do release in in 2021 - they will re-invigorate that hype train before release like you can't even imagine.
That's the spirit.

Better they do it right and take a all the time they need, than a rushed botch job.
Don't get me wrong, I do want it to be released sooner rather than later. In fact, I would gladly play it right now.

And I also don't think it will take as long - I said all about the OP post above. I don't think it'll be this year though - too little marketing and hype-inducers for that, as well as BFA release being still fresh.
I personally think that it'll be next year, and 15th anniversary sounds about right.
He thinks it'll take longer to make classic wow, 14 years later, than it took to make it the first time from scratch? What a dumbass, no wonder he's fired.

P.S. He is vanilla hater, and he said previously that blizzard will cancel classic project.
15/09/2018 20:53Posted by Drapi
He thinks it'll take longer to make classic wow, 14 years later, than it took to make it the first time from scratch? What a dumbass, no wonder he's fired.

P.S. He is vanilla hater, and he said previously that blizzard will cancel classic project.

He doesnt think it will take that long to make it. But to release it.
It's a port.
It takes less time than that to make entire new games.
15/09/2018 07:12Posted by Агграэль

Well the problem is they want it to run and be compatible with their modern engine and battle net framework and the old character models aren't compatible with the new engine just being one problem.

It's their stubborness to insist using the modern engine and have it fully functional with the Blizz network that's the issue here.