Reasons Why you don't play a Healer / Tank

General
1 2 3 8 Next
I'm taking the cue from a similar post, I decided to complement it and make this question :

Why you don't play a Healer or a tank?
With queue times going sky-high it's a good feedback to blizzard as to make improvements in these two role gameplays, as for me, personally... I cough myself wanting to dump my 120 DK and go main my Warlock Pure DPS.
Reasons :

1- people pulling in front of you - (the tank mechanics and all its fun are in planing ahead, make pulls, direct mobs, keep them together or apart, control the threat and do this taking as minimum damage S possible, when a "ninja" goes around pulling first...I feel senseless and a tank, everything I love is taken away, and more often than not when I ask people from stop pulling I get showered with insults and jokes...)

2- stress (because of the above I end up assuming, along with the healer all responsibility for failure or sucess, while people ignore variables like... A ninja

As for healer :

1 - Stress... No one pays attention at your mana, cooldown etc, and the blame for failures is more often placed on you as a Healer than on the tank, I don't play to feel stressed so...
2 - it's nearly mandatory to play two distinct specs as Pve as mostly healing specs feels dull and oppressing with the new scaling system (and war mode for those that opted in)

Let me know what are your reasons to not play a tank or a healer, and please give me some light as if I should main my warlock or hold on to tanking.

Thank you for the feedback, will surely help me, and with some luck blizzard as well, with good input in this issues.
My reason is quite simple ... I like dps.
Out of topic, but I know of a certain tank that shares your name.
this weeks mythic + and high levels is a big bloody reason....

hell
well I don't play tank because it simply does not appeal to me at all.

I like to heal once in a while, but with people I know. Because healing can become real stressfull really fast when people idd don't pay attention to your mana and stand in !@#$....or run of to China so you can't reach them anymore. And then get insulted because you chose to stay with the tank (obviously imo) and they die somewhere on the other side of the planet.
Takes the fun out of healing real fast.

But the main reason: I just love dps.
Tanking... I had a tanking alt in Legion. Reasons why I didn't like it: Having to memorise dungeons like a prayer, everything is my fault. I liked tanking raids though. Rn I really want to roll a tank, but I hate how reliant on healers they became. And they feel terrible without gear.

I am a healer main. Healing is fun. All healing specs have their fun niches and it's easy to find one you like.

What is not fun though is basically being forced to gear some offspec to do any kind of non-group content. Like, for !@#$s sake I'm 355 and it takes me like 12-15 seconds to kill 1 mob. Not to mention If I pull 3 or more I die. Give healers a proper questing toolkit.
Because Rogues can't tank or heal.
I am the type of person that will play a character based on how it looks and then deal with how it works.
I would gladly heal or tank if I could, but I can't.

I actually like healing, and I would welcome a healing spec for rogues.
No idea. I am playing 3 tanks. °_^

And why am I doing it?

I have no responsibility, but am free to take all the glory.

DDs are supposed to be in control of every pull, because they have all the crowd control abilties in the world and can easily manage their aggro and stay even below the worst tanks in the world. They can kite, stun, polymorph, etc on top and thus decide on their own if they can kill a mob solo or not.

As tank? Against good DDs I have no control at all, because I can not tank 3 separate mobs against cooldowns from my DDs when they start to nuke 3 different targets. In other words, I am not the one in control and thus I am most definitely not the one with all the responsibilities. And this makes tanking such a relaxed thing to do.

Playing DD is quite a different experience, because not only are you in a constant damage race against the other DDs and yourself, but your as well need to manage your aggro, usually against tanks who don't make much aggro, add from time to time your CC and potentially kite a mob or five at the same time, because you decided that you can deal with the aggro and went all out with your damage. Now that is a lot of stress and some pretty high expectations;-)

And as a healer? My main job is just to keep the tank alive and sometimes heal DDs against unavoidable AOE damage. DDs stands in the fire? Yeah ... not my problem, that's on you mate, walk back into the instance quicky, because you are falling off in damage and losing that damage race. Did got a huge damage spike on you based on an ability that should have Interrupted? Yeah, not my problem, walk into the instance, I am not healing scrubs. ;-)

Well, actually, it's easy to just press those AOE heal spam to even heal the scrubs, but I actually enjoy to see them die, especially when you usually can still get the bosses with some dead DDs ... outside of mystic naturally. But mystic is imho for pre-mades, so you don't run into any stress or responsibility issues with your friends either.
Still as a DD, with the amount of AOE damage going around and the amount of fires to avoid, while still doing the damage race ... it's a lot of stress if you want to do your job properly. There is a thing called overheal, but there is no kill like overkill, it is never enough damage. NEVER.

Ironically I think the main issues are bad DDs. It's no fun to play with them, because they screw everything up. So as a tank or healer, your best bet is to play with your friends, instead of using the bottom of the barrel LFD players. Besides, there is no tank shortage, just ask any raid leader ... you always have more tanks than you need, unless you are the raid leader of a nax40 guild and four horsemen is your encounter of choice ... and even then, we actually had enough tanks for that. °_^
I tank every now and then on this character but I'll go over some of the main reasons I won't do it much (there's a TL;DR at the end if you don't want to read my waffle):

DH tank is very spikey, I don't like my health yo-yo-ing and my defensive abilities feel either excessively strong in meta, insufficient against trash with fiery brand or just kind of boring with demon spikes.

There is also a bit an issue of skipping trash and how dependent you are on your dps to really make the run go smoothly. To start with I loathe exploiting the map geometry to skip a trash pack. Aside from a lot of things possibly going wrong I just generally think it's poor design to encourage what I could only really describe as playing the worst designed stealth game possible.

As for DPS responsibility I often worry about how rarely I see pugs just interupt generic spells, let alone important ones. It's always going to make the run go quicker if you can prevent damage with an interupt, and I'm sure part of this is that since I'm a DH there are going to be players holding back so i can get more interupts for the resources, but i've seen several really important spells or mechanics just not getting handled properly. At least I can deal with a significant chunk of it as a DH.

Then there's the issue that while i'm not that great a tank I'm not a bad DPS'er. Aside from actually using my utility I tend to do fairly well in dungeons due to using a mostly AoE build, rarely do I see other dps consistently do better than me on damage meters, and most of the time it's because they vastly outgear me.

As for healing I just plain refuse to heal groups for pugs out of raids. I have tried it a handful of times on my shaman and thank god I was a shaman so I had so many tools to pick up so much slack, but it's a pain in the bum to do so, I only have so much mana and so many GCD's.

TL;DR: As a DPS I feel like I can significantly contribute to the smooth running and fast pace of a dungeon run. As a tank i can kind of do this, but not as well. As a healer I can perhaps make a dungeon run smoothly but not quickly, and good lord they are some of the least fun dungeon runs when you have to do near everything but it takes ages.
You go out of your way to lead the randoms and disable the casters in packs in Atal... Ask if other Pally can disable/CC the other. He ignores you.

You pull with single target ability to reduce amount of pulled mobs, Hunter shots his barrage making your efford complete waste of time. You wipe since people do not know how to interrupt/stun.
19/09/2018 23:21Posted by Yonrielle
As a healer I can perhaps make a dungeon run smoothly but not quickly, and good lord they are some of the least fun dungeon runs when you have to do near everything but it takes ages.

Dead DPS does no DPS at all. So you can improve the speed significantly as a healer, at least if your DPS is trash. Meanwhile healers have usually time to do dps as well. ^_^

19/09/2018 23:28Posted by Kaelgar
You go out of your way to lead the randoms and disable the casters in packs in Atal... Ask if other Pally can disable/CC the other. He ignores you.

You pull with single target ability to reduce amount of pulled mobs, Hunter shots his barrage making your efford complete waste of time. You wipe since people do not know how to interrupt/stun.

Is this not just as depressing as DD as it is as tank?
I like tanking. Community can't change that. But the 8.0 changes nearly did.
I would only ever play tank if i know the majority of end game content and the previous expac...to which I most defiantly do not. If we're talking about mythic+ or anything like that I would be waaayy to scared of even attempting it due to unfamiliarity and peer pressure. The problem comes down to the fact that you are basically elected leader of a group by default (this is the case in most, if not all MMOs) and then usually you become the problem when something goes wrong, this is why I feel you need some semblance of knowledge to what is going on. Plus on some tanks I feel like paper mache.

Healing is not so bad, though sometimes I do feel stressed out, specifically in lower lvl dungs when folks tend to pull way too much and just rush through the entire thing to the point where I guzzle mana like an alcohol starved Pandaren. Higher level content seems slightly more chilled, so I dont specifically have an issue with it.
It's really simple why most people don't. They've taken away tanks magic armour and removed anti magic skills. Then filled each dungeon to the brim with magic mobs. In a normal 5 mob pack, usually 4 of them are casters.

Tanks ain't tanky any more, not in the slightest. In legion on a 15 key If ya healer went down start of pack, you could blow CDs and get through it. Good luck now.
19/09/2018 23:31Posted by Lightglass
I like tanking. Community can't change that. But the 8.0 changes nearly did.

Heh, same. I'm clinging on to it for dear life. 8.0 changes were enough to get me to quit raiding, but not tanking as a whole.
Two reasons...

1, I like playing dps.

2, I don't like playing stressful roles.
Since WoTLK I only play Tanks and Healers ... (Before I played DPS)

Verry fast i got used to short queues for getting into most groups ... And I just had to have average ilvl and skill ...

Later on I tried to DPS again , but I found it to be much more demanding in terms of competition ... People who made groups demanded ridiculous ilvl , specific classes ... At the end of the day I realized that the only way to get in a group for content I wanted as averaged ilvl DPS is to make a group yourself ...

So basically this is why I don't DPS ...
Dead DPS does no DPS at all. So you can improve the speed significantly as a healer, at least if your DPS is trash. Meanwhile healers have usually time to do dps as well. ^_^

Oh i loved weaving in some damaging spells as a healer, shame they decided to add mana costs to them so I felt like i was being penalised for doing anything other than spamming lightning bolt.

But there's a saying among healers, "You can't heal stupid". Don't get me wrong everyone makes mistakes and there are the occasional problems you can/should help with but often the dps that consistently take the most healing are the ones that take the most avoidable damage. I find it frustrating rather than fun.

Is this not just as depressing as DD as it is as tank?

Might be - but as a tank you have extra pressure to actually perform since you dying means wipe.
If DD dies no one cares as there are two others doing the job.
My main reasons;

1) I just like BM hunter. I can't imagine ever having a different main.
2) I don't like having responsibilities in a game.
3) I don't want stress when playing a game.
4) I don't often play multiplayer content anyway.

In Legion I leveled a monk alt and discovered I liked mistweaver most of all the monk specs. So I healed every now and then, but I still didn't run multiplayer content very often + I didn't play that alt at max level very much. I'm mostly a 'main focused' person.

As for tanking; I just really dislike it. To me a tank feels kind of like a 'leader' of sorts and that's not what I want.