Smoke and Mirrors: Island Expedition Increase Drop Rate

General
04/10/2018 04:07Posted by Darthtoon
mean while i have done maybe 8 islands runs in total since bfa launched

I force myself to do at least one each day. I swear I actually feel my will to live slipping away with each one that I complete.
04/10/2018 04:20Posted by Kooki
I force myself to do at least one each day. I swear I actually feel my will to live slipping away with each one that I complete.

hmm, it aint like they take ages to do, I do not understand how people feel island expedtions are so bad, yeah rewards are rng, but I got a feeling some burn them self out, becuse they have to have them all, in a smal ammount of time and it doesnt work that way.
[quote]

If the dubloons had an actual use beyond the crap items that aren't even needed for the expeditions it wouldn't be so bad. They should add the mounts and pets to the dubloon vendors with a high price that can be saved up for over time. At least this way we know eventually our efforts in this content will be rewarded.
The best solution i can see is to let people but the pets/mounts/tmog with dubloons. Why is this not fair?
I started with a big enthusiasm. Now im avoiding the island exp like hell. It's just a random race against random enemies. Not time to think to understand where to go because is just a gogogogoggogo experience (ok is a player's fault but the design is forcing to do so).
With some changes would be an interesting thing to run.
04/10/2018 01:23Posted by Eldrigar
03/10/2018 20:38Posted by Dappysham
Can I just add. Increasing drop rate doesn’t mean you’ll get it in a few runs....

They’re rare for a reason and that’s the way it should be. I personally would have kept he drop rate the same as it already was.

If it were 'it'... then yeah I agree.

28 pets makes this out-of-order.
Out of order? Give it a rest.. what exactly do you want? Obtain all in a month?

I’m still farming mounts from 8 years ago... it’s a MMO.. go play Pservers if you want everything handed to you.
I did 5 myths with a guildie
He got 4 pets
I got the coins
Fun fun fun
Doing expeditions from day 1, 2 chars mage and dk. Got quests things and 1 hat transmog. Never seen a pet or a mount drop. This is just one more slap in the face, IE could have been so much more, i 'm pretty dissapointed tbh.
While we need exact clarification how drops work(based on experience kill everything from the species you need a drop from otherwise focus on rares. Got the scarab pet just by killing a cave with no rares just a few elites and a bunch of normal mobs)

One of the reasons people are experiencing leas drops is people mining which is progress with no reward at the end(they gotta tie drops to just mining, or else you gonna curse out every person who mines and the extractor system being added will only be a waste) and the killing of hydra, crocodile, bassilisk and wolf enemies which have no pets tied to them(they may contribute to some transmog pieces, but def no mounts and pets).

The reward structure needs to be reconstructed to reward just winning rather than just how you win. On the other hand I feel the concept of what you kill making it more likely to get extra stuff and of specific types is necessary to make all pets and quests obtainable.

I do not think making them buyable is the way to go, as it kills the rare hunting aspect which is a lot better than kill everything after you gathered them up that'd follow. It's a rare cosmetic reward content, there is no necessity to get them all for gameplay, so why does there need to be a guaranteed gathering method? WoW has been thriving on it's rare collectibles, and people keep going back to farm content that drops it after years and years. In contrast unless more rewards are added anyone who wants the drops will get them, and likely turn a tidy profit and keep ahead the azerite curve as a bonus, tell me how running ICC on your tenth alt is gonna accomplish that for you.

That's how I feel about wow in general right now.
There's stuff I have to do, lots of stuff I have to do and keep up with. But nothing I want to do. Island expeditions are a fine example, I wanted to do them at first, but the lack of a carrot and their repetitive nature just killed all desire to see them ever again. Oh boy, two new ones are coming, yay, I suppose...

04/10/2018 08:52Posted by Caesa
While we need exact clarification how drops work(based on experience kill everything from the species you need a drop from otherwise focus on rares. Got the scarab pet just by killing a cave with no rares just a few elites and a bunch of normal mobs)

Yes, the way rewards work is speculated and killing rares and doing quests are appear to be the way to get the rewards. And it's a pretty good system, to be honest. However, it does not change the abysmal drop rates.
For example, I want a parrot mount and piratey pets. So when the island starts I have my first roll of the dice - will any pirate spawn on the island.
And IF they spawn there's gonna be a second roll - will I get any loot at all (more often than not I won't)
And then there's the third roll on the RNG table, will I get the desired loot.

Remove at least 1 of these rolls and the thing becomes more bearable.
Remove the spawn roll, let me target pirate islands, for example.
Or remove drop roll, make them drop something all the time from their loot table, or at least rise the drop chances by a lot.
Or or remove the third roll and leave only desirable items there - pets and mounts. Put transmogs somewhere else, give them to a vendor for all I care.

None of these three ways of fixing it is good. Not even close.
Targeting islands wont change the fact that drop rates are awful.
a 100% drop rates would make things not rare enough and kill IE's completely once everyone and their dog get what they want.
And desirable items only my vary from person to person. Plus it'd also kill the rarity.

The thing is, IE's weren't supposed to be a pet/mount farming activity, it was supposed to serve your necklace. But the necklace is boring and AP is boring. So the only fun thing about islands is the possibility of getting extras. But when the main course goes down the drain the "extras" become the main course.

Basically, what I'm trying to say, the carrot IE's have is way too far. There was a bump in drop rates, that lasted for about a week, IE's were farmable that week. Now, 'forgetabautit
If you sit and farm anything then it will get to be something you hate doing very quickly, islands are not meant to be farmed, they are meant to be something to do when you have a spare bit of time and want something to do. If done in that context I find them quite fun. I am mostly using them to level alts (1 level per approx. 5 islands), so even if I get no loot its still worth while doing for the xp and some ap on the alt. I saw quite a lot dropping the week after they announced the hotfix, got lots of pets/toys, but seems to be a bit less dropping again now, maybe because I got some of the pets/toys now. Out of about 30 runs I think I have had one pet and one 320 weapon drop. When doing them I try and target rares/events over just collecting nodes to increase chances on loot table.
First, they buffed the drop rates, and I started to love island expeditions. Now, they stealth nerfed them again, making them once again unbearable - I have probably done over 200, and I'm still enjoying them, but I cannot understand breaking something AGAIN after it was fixed. That's what a stupid technician would do, and you would charge him extra.
Unlucky I guess. Leveling this Warrior trough Islands. So far gotten like 4 pets, 5 quests, 2 Helmets, and 3 leather pieces of gear. It's actually making me a ton of Gold.
04/10/2018 08:25Posted by Dappysham
04/10/2018 01:23Posted by Eldrigar

If it were 'it'... then yeah I agree.

28 pets makes this out-of-order.
Out of order? Give it a rest.. what exactly do you want? Obtain all in a month?

I’m still farming mounts from 8 years ago... it’s a MMO.. go play Pservers if you want everything handed to you.

What do I exactly want?

To not farm 28 pets over 8 years! Yeah it is an exaggerated point… but based on the fact you seem happy to pay for that privilege and grind the same content over that period of time.

I’m not happy to spend one year doing that!

As a rough estimate, I’ve spent the best part of £2,000 playing this game over the years… and overly low drop rates are starting to make me feel like I am being mugged each time I pay my subscription!

There are all sorts of goals in the game, pet collecting being one – it should be achievable and at the same time rewarding. Not a grind or task with 1,000 plus Island Expeditions to eventually be close to completing that goal!

Blizzard have failed when I complete the 10th Island Expedition in an evening and the reward I have is repair bills, a few pointless trash dubloons and a pathetic re-coloured transmog item! That is not a mechanic for an enjoyable experience!

Someone is this thread pointed out something very interesting.

It’s like playing slot machines blindfolded!

If I can add - standing on one foot with a hand tied behind your back whilst at the same time the slot machine is moved to the other side of the room.
What the hell's with this '20 island runs DID NOTHING AT ALL!' when you got multiple transmogs and pets. If you did 20 runs and got only dubloons then sure, feel free to complain, but you're getting pretty good rewards for your effort.
I've had a couple of pets, but an increased drop rate for pets doesn't encourage me to do them. You could give me a different pet 100% for every island I did and I still wouldn't care about them.
I do my islands to cap the bar at the top and get my 2.5K AP each week and that's it, it's usually the very last thing I do each week (Tues night) when we've run out of other things to do.
We don't enjoy doing them and don't want to do them, but as a raider, we need to keep up with AP.
So each Tues, me, my wife and 1 friend go on discord, smash through a few islands in half an hour or so, spending the entire time whining about how we don't want to be doing this and how boring the islands are, then we log off and go sit on the sofa and watch tv. Islands suck!
04/10/2018 13:35Posted by Malificia
What the hell's with this '20 island runs DID NOTHING AT ALL!' when you got multiple transmogs and pets. If you did 20 runs and got only dubloons then sure, feel free to complain, but you're getting pretty good rewards for your effort.

20 runs and effectivly only dubloons.

Transmogs are useless and are not rewards... that is lazy game development adding a bunch of transmogs already availiable with new colours.

The 2 pets from the 4 I already had - were repeats.

Of the 50 to 60 islands since - 1 pet.

Over 20 pets to go... that's another 1,000 runs... oh joy!

I
But if the method people have found works best to get drops is correct it's kinda bad either way right?
Why would they design it in a way so you get rewarded for not doing the objective?
It's crazy that if you win you get nothing, but if you stop doing what you are suppose to be doing you get rewarded with a nice drop if you are lucky.
It makes no sense at all.
I think you can buy the pets in AH if you are really unlucky for a long time. Some might not be cageable but the probability for the last ones to not be cageable is pretty small. The blue lil squids sell for only 6k gold in AH on my server. The crab with hat is like 25k, not that much tbh.