Too many expansions now?

General
Hi I'm just wondering if you guys see it same way. But I think problem with WoW is that there is too many expansions now. In each expansion there were some poor decisions made, that are really hard or impossible to get rid of. Also our characters have too much karma behind them so at start of every expansion we are already heroes that saved world multiple times. Not mentioned technical limitations caused by old engine etc...

Wouldn't be better to start fresh game WoW II, where we can start from zero again, developers can learn from mistakes done in first game and avoid it.

What I really like in games are fresh starts, but it wow as it is it is not enjoyable because leveling is just boring OP faceroll and rush to max level, because nothing else matters anymore.

What do you think?
I agree, there is too many expacs now, every new one making the last one redundant.
But
18/09/2018 16:06Posted by Razynn

Wouldn't be better to start fresh game WoW II, where we can start from zero again, developers can learn from mistakes done in first game and avoid it.

[/quote]
No, it wouldn't. Even ignoring the "vanilla was better" crowd which would only grow in numbers if the "wow I was better" join them. Dropping the staggering amount of content that was added in over more than decade would make WoWII look small and shallow in comparison.

Developers don't think their mistakes are mistakes. Anyway, we would just end up in the same expansion boat after a few years.
Wouldn't be better to start fresh game WoW II

If it were this simple, some company - Blizzard or not - would have done it already.

Building a game to directly compete with WoW would be an undertaking in itself. Building a game to directly supersede WoW would be significantly more difficult.
Yes there are too many and they should remove some.

Remove:
BFA
Legion
WoD

then the game is perfect
not gonna happen, wow is too profitable still.
18/09/2018 16:32Posted by Morra
I agree, there is too many expacs now, every new one making the last one redundant.
But

No, it wouldn't. Even ignoring the "vanilla was better" crowd which would only grow in numbers if the "wow I was better" join them. Dropping the staggering amount of content that was added in over more than decade would make WoWII look small and shallow in comparison.

Noone would stop anyone playing wow 1. Comparsion with vanila is different because vanilla is not available anyomre to play.

And regarding content... it aslo depend how much of that content is relevant...

18/09/2018 17:32Posted by Kamazh

Insted of anouncing new expansion, ppl would buy new wow. Proces would be similar.
18/09/2018 16:40Posted by Burningfrost
Yes there are too many and they should remove some.

Remove:
BFA
Legion
WoD

then the game is perfect

I would add MoP and Cata to list :) Also I'm one of the few who was ok with WoD, because I like garisons.
18/09/2018 17:48Posted by Razynn
18/09/2018 16:32Posted by Morra
But

Noone would stop anyone playing wow 1. Comparsion with vanila is different because vanilla is not available anyomre to play.

And regarding content... it aslo depend how much of that content is relevant...

18/09/2018 17:32Posted by Kamazh

Insted of anouncing new expansion, ppl would buy new wow. Proces would be similar.

Then wow 2 would have to directly compete with wow 1.
-Wow is the game with most expansions ever
-Wow is still the most widely played MMO after 14 years
When you connect the relation between the 2 you can close the thread.
About time for WoW2, yes. Only this time keep vanilla around 30'ish, then add 5 levels per xpack - which they should stop releasing as physical things altogether, perhaps even stop charging for them and slightly raise the monthly fee to balance it out. And get rid of the insane IL power creep that now seems the norm. Let's keep those numbers sensible and we won't have to crunch the !@#$ out of WoW every two years.

I've also a very personal reason for this: no way will I start a new main ever in WoW. Far too many nifty bop items, exalted reps, story phasings and such. I'd have to play full time for an insane amount of hours to get even close to my current state of things - and even then I'd be unable to get plenty of stuff that is now legacy.
This again?

It will never happen, they have stated that.
They will give us Classic server, but that's about it.

WoW II is never going to happen

Firstly, making a WoW 2 is not a small thing. Game engines are such massive undertakings they are neither cheap to license nor simple to make. I think the Unreal engine has a standard charge of 5% of gross revenue, could you even imagine how much that would be for WoW? On top of that, I don't even know if Unreal has the behind the scenes building to really suit an MMO. I'm sure it can be done but how many workarounds have to be used to get it done? End of the day, is it even any better over what they currently have?

Building an engine is not a simple thing either, often taking 4-5 years to make itself and requiring several games of use to justify their costs. Not that they couldn't do it, but the question is would it be worth doing? We've seen with legion they can still fit impressive improvements to mechanics and add new ones despite how old the engine is.

There is also the more uncomfortable question as to whether they could actually make a successful MMO from scratch any more. Look at destiny and destiny 2: Both good games in their own rights but have both been destroyed by poor design, I think many blame activision for the monetisation schemes they forced into the game. Now I don't know for certain how true that is, but it does show a newer engine is no pancea for all the woes of game development.