WoW under Ion's leadership?

General
Has WoW gotten worse under Ion's leadership and direction?

Seems that more things get shipped broken and that game play is suffering more, is this down to Ion?

Would wow be a better game if Ion wasnt the head Dev
Nah, he 's just currently absorbing the community anger.

Players were equally unhappy with Chris Metzen and Greg Street. If you don't remember - Metzen was blamed for Horde bias, too much Thrall and horrible voice acting.
Ion was encounter designer in Wotlk.
Encounters was the thing I liked about WotLk.
Ion was class designer in Cata.
Some classes were my favorite of all time in Cata.
Ion was lead game dev when MoP launched.
didnt liked that expansion a lot.
lets not talk about WoD.
Ion was still lead game dev for legion.
I liked legion.probably more than any other expansion.
I like ion.7/10
I would say give them time.
Ion just finished most appreciated expac and led the game into top selling expansion. Game sold 3.5 mil 1st day amd over 6 million within 1st month. Servers are full and exploding with queues. 100s of casual guilds have 40ish ppl online at same time running 30 man raids. People went crazy buying wow tokens so much its price halved. Players are race changing to new races so fast almost 1 / 3 rd of every raid is allied race already. They are making big money right now. Forum anger might tell otherwise but financially bfa is so far a huge success. If i was blizzards ceo i would give Ion a pat on the back.
18/09/2018 09:31Posted by Slimtank
lets not talk about WoD.
I like ion.7/10

Was he really the lead game dev in MoP? I can't believe that...
WoW under Ion's leadership can be summarized in 3 letters - R N G
18/09/2018 09:36Posted by Hyperîøn
18/09/2018 09:31Posted by Slimtank
lets not talk about WoD.
I like ion.7/10

Was he really the lead game dev in MoP? I can't believe that...

He became lead game dev when MoP launched.MoP wasnt his idea and he said it few times they had hard times advertising it.
18/09/2018 09:21Posted by Luko

how is this a question?
Like, dont people play the game?
Aint the game !@#$ compared to before?
Aint class design boring beyond belief?
Aint the "new" systems made so you repeat the same thing over and over again?

He is bad but its not only him... this Diablo B team should have stayed where they were also
18/09/2018 09:36Posted by Rezista
WoW under Ion's leadership can be summarized in 3 letters - R N G

RNG has always been here. It's the overpowered rewards that are tied to it (legendaries, specific azerite traits) that cause the problem. During Vanilla-WotLK era you could go months without getting a bis weapon because loottable rng didn't favor you. So no, Ion did not bring RNG into WoW, it was already there.

@OP I like most implementations made under Ion's reign. BfA however they missed the mark. But when you remember how awesome Legion was, I can move past that and hope they fix the issues. Everyone is bound to make mistakes, I'll rather have them try wild new things every expansion and fail in some instead of sticking to safe and same.

And anyways, what's the alternative to Ion?
It's probably better designed and balanced than previously, but it's just not fun, everything feels meaningless, too artificial. So no, from a player perspective that wants to enjoy the game it's way worse.
18/09/2018 10:45Posted by Kyoda
everything feels meaningless, too artificial.

I have a strong belief this feeling has more to do with people outgrowing MMOs. The grind has always been artificial.
FOR THE ION HORDE!!!
no it hasnt, it's gotten worse over the players lust for content and Activisions need for profit, will you all PLEASE stop with this horribly American 'blame culture' and start thinking about what YOU can do to change the industry as a whole..-.-
18/09/2018 09:21Posted by Luko

I don't understand the question.

WoW turned into !@#$ and he is the lead game designer.

So yeah.
He was in charge for legion and that was a great expansion.
*Insert Willy Wonka Meme here*

I think Ion has done a great job. I hope he is been treating himself well cause having watched him over the last few Q&As / blizzcon's he has been gaining a bit of weight.

I imagine the Long hours at a desk and the stresses of a job like this must be wearing down on him. (i too have a 9-5 job at a desk and within 6 months i gained a lot of weight. Cycling to work helps burn it off!)

In the sea of negativity - i Say - Ion bud... take care of yourself. BFA-Aside - I for one hope you are doing well :) *highfive*
I have no issues with Ion, I don’t agree with all the ways he takes the game always (levelling old content 60-90 range my biggest issue), but when he does answer the question I do see some reasoning behind the choices made. + it’s a game that has to appeal to a wide range of different players, change one thing to make one lot happy, you will make another lot unhappy.

I played lots from Vanilla to WOTLK, but come Cata I started to play less and during MOP and WOD my play went down to almost nothing, apart from in both right at the end couple of months where I just levelled up, Legion was a great expansion, probably in my rankings up there as one of the best, it started me playing again frequently, got me excited again about playing and I took very few breaks in Legion. BFA feels good to, yes it does have some issues currently which they do need to fix and I am pretty sure they know what these issues are. Yes they rushed it out before it was really ready, but if they hadn`t done that the forums would have been complaining now of why was there no new content, so they were in a no win situation, personally I would prefer to have BFA in its current state than have nothing at all left to do in Legion.

I am hopeful as they roll out patches the issues currently in BFA will be resolved and I think it will end up as good as Legion was.
[...] start thinking about what YOU can do to change the industry as a whole..-.-
Unless you get a million people to cancel the subscription to one of their favorite games - which is difficult, to put it lightly - Blizzard and Activision have no reason to bother listening. EA is considered evil incarnate in the gaming world and they simply don't have to care, because come the end of the day, people will buy their game.
yep, i sometimes forget how big gaming is now, think i'm still in 1975..:D
still, ideas and genuine feedback are still better than a medieval witchhunt and i do believe they listen at least sometimes..:)
(probably still have my naivete from back then too..:p)
Feels like the game is in melt down. From a personal view 'my' game is much much worse since this guy took over than at any time in the ten years I have been playing. Its a real struggle doing anything like the things I use to enjoy in this game. I keep hoping that maybe they will see sense and get back to how it was but I am not holding my breath. I just have to put up with it.... Dreadful changes and just made the game shallow.

I also think the game is going to get even worse. From what I have seen I just sense its like the Emporers Clothes. I'm guessing they have become so blind to their failure they refuse to accept any of the critism. And to those that keep blindly blabbing on about how things are just fine... well I say you are not playing the same game as me. I pay my subs to play the game I purchased not some diluted rambling load of nonsense that isn't a fragment of the game I was so use to playing.

I also think that the damage has been so deep it will be difficult for anyone to put right.