The tank shortage is crazy.

General
1 2 3 7 Next
I'm a tank myself but guardian is just unacceptably boring to play, so I wanted to play my other main spec, resto. No way, man. There's no tanks out there, you could wait 10+ mins for a tank.

What the hell?
The abuse you get playing it puts a lot of people off.
Tanks have responsibilities, people don't like to have responsibilities.
Even tanks that are fun to play still have responsibilities.
It should also be mentioned that in general tank play is worse than it used to be. Taunt is now on the GCD and you'd be surprised how often that gets annoying. Furthermore, tanks have become more homogenous and I think overall slightly weaker than legion (but that might just be me being crap). Depending on which tank you play your active mitigation might also be on the GCD, which I suspect is why i've seen very few warrior tanks.
I do play tank, but my main issue is that its a dulled verson of the DPs-speccs on the class.

Luckily I went with DH/Brewmaster, at least they have some fun spells to play with.
Would love to tank on my lock main... But can't.
I like tanking on my Paladin, but I hate leading and taking charge of groups. It isn't for me

The actual tanking trash and boss part though is fun
Idd i main guardian tank but this xpac i skipp tank as with the gcd dps is already boring enough
I'll gladly tank for friends and/or guildies. I never tank for pugs. That's an unforgiving task which the insta-queue is simply not worth.

I know I am adding to the vicious circle.
DPS are impatient due to long queues, then go on a rampage if the tank for whatever reason is not fast enough, which leads to said tank not queuing again which leads to even longer queues for the DPS.

** Disclaimer ** Not ALL DPS, of course not, but a lot of you. I've seen this too many times regardless of which role I've entered the dungeon as.
11/09/2018 10:18Posted by Morra

The fun part is: So do damage dealers, despelling, purging, stunning etc that's what makes the difference in the BfA dungeons. Most people just don't seem to understand that and instead just blame the tank or heal.

Sure. So do Healers. So do DPS. Above comment is meaningless as everyone has responsibilities. People tend to forget that everyone is also responsible for everyone else.

As a tank, my job is easier the quicker things die and the smoother the healing is. It's my job to ensure their job of DOING that is easier by keeping them safe. All three boil down to a soft-case of awareness, gear and performance, but there are other factors as well. Once things go wrong, people are quick to blame one part of the trinity when there can be many things going wrong without an obvious flashing sign above it going "HERE IS YOUR PROBLEM".

It is clear that the reason is less to do with responsibilities and more to do with toxicity or pressure, which isn't a fault of the game itself. I play Prot War & Prot Paladin in WoW, Warrior & Paladin (tanks) in FFXIV (and healers in both). The only thing that could make me enjoy a run less are people who start back-door-role-teaching -- particularly annoying when it comes from DPS who nobody can argue have a more stress-free role (not necessarily 'easier', at least not always).

Then there are the types of people involved in the group. The "I never do anything wrong" guy, the "I did something wrong but so did someone else so I'll put the spotlight on them", the "I did something wrong but I don't want to improve on it", the "Things are going wrong? I'd be better off finding a different group" guy, the list goes on. Optimally you want decent gear, awareness, performance, and 'attitude'.
I don't mind tanking, but before I start doing it, I want to know perfectly the dungeons. Until then I'll be happily dpsing or healing.
11/09/2018 10:17Posted by Frenzydemon

This is why I don't tank, even when I know how. Last thing I want is to have to chase the dps around because they want to pull the whole area, and then get !@#$%ed at when everyone dies. I also don't want to be told to pull more/pull less/pull different mobs, you can't see my CD's, you don't know what I'm am prepared for or not.

I don't want someone pulling the boss before I'm ready. I don't want the healer telling me I'm doing wrong because on their tank they do it a different way, even though we're making good time and no one has died. I don't want to get crappy whispers because I left a crappy group.

It's also human nature to remember the bad things better than the good things, so even if just one out of five groups are bad it's the bad ones that stick in my mind and make me not want to play.
we are here, please have patience also for us this is a new expansion we don't know everything
Tanks, don't forget that you have power over these players. If you they don't dance around your wishes they can simply leave the dungeon. You're in charge, you find instantly a new group, they not. Let them know who has the power in the group. It's you, not them.
11/09/2018 10:29Posted by Livía

Voidwalker with 3 healers and 2 dps?
11/09/2018 10:17Posted by Frenzydemon

This is surely a big factor. I play healer and get to closely see what is going on during a dungeon run: DPS stand on fire, focus only on boss, make mistakes (we all do), and this is consider to be a normal part of the run. But if a Tank screws up once, then that player get abused.

I rarely seen a DPS been kicked out unless is afk, but I have seen many Tanks leave because of been abused.
We get treated like dirt. Anything goes wrong, it's the tanks fault.
I'm enjoying Guardian with my friends, but is that because it's Guardian or because I'm with friends? I'm also new to tanking so I don't know the full potential of the role, past and present. Brewmaster is next on my list for the animations, brew+fire and the stagger mechanic.

One possible solution I'd suggest is to encourage tanking early in the game, such as during quests. I think it's OK for some specs to have quests that are about healing (had tailoring not absorbed First Aid, bandage quests could've been more common too) or other roles. A nice wave defence mode or taking a group of adventurers akin to the Lost Vikings reference in Badlands would be pretty neat.

Currently you have two options: PuG or go with the guild. Dive in at the deep end or play it safe, the latter not preparing me for anything outside of my comfort zone.

The reasons for tanks not being around are numerous, there's no single answer: abuse, responsibility, lack of interest or willingness to give it a go are some reasons.

11/09/2018 10:29Posted by Livía

I regret not using the Glyph of Demon Hunting for Dark Apotheosis as much as I could have. Granted, probably couldn't tank group content but the idea was always neat.
Because in mythic + all tanks except blood dk have to kite in order to tank.Plus the constant abuse and hate from the other players.

No motivation from blizzard + no motivation from the community = why the hell are you even surprised?