How to get over nerves of tanking?

General
I'm using this character currently and I have yet to do a heroic even though my ilv is 325

I've tanked most of BfA at normal and while nobody has died or wiped I'm not completely comfortable leading a group. Nor do I know every little encounter

My guild isn't really helpful either

Does anyone else feel like this? I just don't want to mess up and look like an idiot because I don't fully understand the whole mechanics. I haven't memorised everything yet
Practice makes perfect, most people learn by doing.

If nobody has died yet or wiped your ready for a step up in difficulty.
People start dying or your group wipes? Time to start figuring out what went wrong.
Just stop caring what other people think.

Long gone are the days when you'd be blacklisted on your server for being a bad player so there's room to fail in pugs (not entirely sure this is a good thing but hey this is the game we have now).

Good luck!
as a tank you just assume you can pull than battle your hp.

tanking is more on the experience side than to know so if you can pull all mobs to first boss on notmal on heroic you pull2-3 packs instead for example.

if you wipe you figure out what went wrong and the next time do it the right way.

in m+ same story if you could do that than you do that.

i am retarded and cant understand journal so i never read it and always go blank minded in an encounter.

not caring much and believing you are the best tank eu helps.
mute the dps that think they're tanks
dont feel rushed by the group
Just dive in and give it a shot - ask yourself what could've gone better etc.

Always worth checking with your healer too, whisper and ask after the run how it was for them.

Most of all, remember this is just a bunch of pixels, so who cares if you mess it up? :)
BigWigs/DBM is your best friend. Works in dungeons too.
Lesson 1: If a damage dealer is dead, he failed, not you.
Lesson 2: Wiping is part of the fun, so don't be afraid of the unknown, embrace it. Every new boss, every death on a new boss because you did not understand something right is a way to improve your game.
Lesson 3: If the healer dies, it actually might be your fault.
Lesson 4: Most people you play with in a pug will look like idiots anyway, it would be rude to not look like an idiot at least from time to time. You have to make them feel better about themselves ... ;-) … and for this reason you will take all their useless abuse and blaming you for everything with a smile and just know better. It's not your fault, except when it is. And when it is, you fix this and move on.

No reason to be afraid of anything. Heroics are the new normals anyway and in reality tanks have very little to do IF the dds are doing their job. And if not? Who cares if you can't catch every little mistake of them? Enjoy the game and enjoy yourself while tanking.
11/09/2018 13:33Posted by Iamahobo
I'm using this character currently and I have yet to do a heroic even though my ilv is 325

I've tanked most of BfA at normal and while nobody has died or wiped I'm not completely comfortable leading a group. Nor do I know every little encounter

My guild isn't really helpful either

Does anyone else feel like this? I just don't want to mess up and look like an idiot because I don't fully understand the whole mechanics. I haven't memorised everything yet

as someone who tanked from way back in 2004 i would say just keep doing it the nerves will fade .. don't be afraid to try new things even if it resorts in a wipe as chance of a group kicking a tank is unlikely.
OP, if you are nervous, I'd suggest two things:

1. Do not queue for random instances, queue for a specific instance and watch a video of the run before that. You will still think that you missed a lot, but some of the mechanics you will still remember, and it will be easier.

2. Download an add-on like QE Dungeon Tips (there is plenty of such stuff now) which suggest you what to do while in an instance:

https://www.curseforge.com/wow/addons/qe-dungeon-tips

The moment you wipe and you see that it wasn't your fault you will feel better. Then, 5-6 runs and you are good to start queuing randoms. 5-6 more runs and you will feel like you know it all.
FFS TANK WHY U DROP AGGRO WHEN I POP ALL MY CD'S AND GO BIG DICK????
FFS TANK PICK UP THE ADDS I JUST NINJA'D!!
FFS TANK WHY U TANK IT THERE????
FFS TANK WHY YOU SO SLOW??????
FFS TANK WHY ARE YOU PULLING SOOO FAST?????
FFS TANK WHY U KITE, ARE SO BAD U CANT MAN MODE THOSE MOBS???????

The great thing about tanking mythics is that you can just leave with no downside if groups are giving you loads of <snip>. Just go for mythic 0's at 325 and explain to the group you're new to tanking. They probably have been waiting close to an hour for a tank and will be thankful you're there.
Just do it. It's the only way.
11/09/2018 13:33Posted by Iamahobo

A few years back I asked about if I would make a good tank; I said I was wearing heirlooms so I'd do more damage (thus hold more threat), not have such a hefty repair bill meaning more runs, I was team focused, etc. But I had constantly asked about nerves. Out of the 10-12 people in that thread only one person told me that I wouldn't make a good tank. That person had made me reconsider.

Confidence is a big part of tanking, in my experience. If you don't pull enough, people pull for you. If you pull too much you run the risk of wiping the group. I was about to type "In PuGs this is lethal", but is it really? What happens if you wipe? Your family isn't in danger, you're not in danger of anything. People just get angry. It'll be embarrassing, upsetting if you've a skin as thin as mine, but you're doing something they don't want to, much less dare to.

You sound like a decent enough person, I think you'll be fine once you get used to it. But I know the feeling; it makes or breaks regular tanking for me. As Artius says, you'll do well to learn from your mistakes. There's no rush in your journey, and it's you who sets the pace in group content: ain't nobody going without your say-so, and if they are they can't blame you for that. And if you wipe, well it's just that: you've got a repair bill just like everyone else. Maybe see how long you can last in the open world; keep pulling and pulling until you decide what kills you, and how long you can go without defensive CDs or self-healing, and then with those, and then in the Proving Grounds.

Finally, I don't do PuGs at all any more. I used to rely solely on the LFD tool but if I want to do content I only do it with friends and guildies. They know I'm new to tanking, they've agreed to let me tank, and once I remind myself that they want it that way the worry washes away. Might need a few stacks of that reminder, but it's like a Riptide for the mind. ^^
Best tip I can give you is patience. Don't let impatience ruin your experience and by impatience I mean idiots who are only interested in shiny baubles and despite what they will have you believe, actually give zero fugs about multiPLAYER. You are going to find more of these type than the people who actually know what multiplayer means but persevere and sift the sugar from the salt.
Long time prot pally myself. If you need some help get in touch i'll gladly run a few dungeons with you and teach you on the run
I always feel a bit nervous about tanking a dungeon first few times, often I like to do them as DPS first to get an idea of what to expect and where to go etc, and I normally only offer to tank with people I know, maybe when I know a dungeon very well I would join a pug too.

And at the end of the day if the group wipes we all know that the tank is never to blame its always the healer :P
11/09/2018 13:44Posted by Uzochi
Lesson 1: If a damage dealer is dead, he failed, not you.
Lesson 2: Wiping is part of the fun, so don't be afraid of the unknown, embrace it. Every new boss, every death on a new boss because you did not understand something right is a way to improve your game.
Lesson 3: If the healer dies, it actually might be your fault.
Lesson 4: Most people you play with in a pug will look like idiots anyway, it would be rude to not look like an idiot at least from time to time. You have to make them feel better about themselves ... ;-) … and for this reason you will take all their useless abuse and blaming you for everything with a smile and just know better. It's not your fault, except when it is. And when it is, you fix this and move on.

1. It isn't always the DPS fault he died, and this comes from a healer main, sometime the heal feck up and you die, sometime the tank does not hold aggro, and ye die.

2. Reading up on instances reduces the chance of wiping a lot.

3. See point 1.

4. And that's why you never play in a pug.
11/09/2018 13:44Posted by Uzochi
Lesson 1: If a damage dealer is dead, he failed

What if the tank lost aggro or didn't sufficiently maintain aggro? Whos fault is it then?
If you can establish and maintain aggro on everything during an encounter you're already better than most of the 'tanks' I run across.

If you can use your defensives instead of mashing damage buttons, you're already better than most of the 'tanks' I run across.

If you can make proper use of your eyeballs regarding the healer's mana bar, you're already better than most of the 'tanks' I run across.

If you can memorize the 2-3 very specific instances in BfA dungeons when stuff needs to be kited, you're already better than most of the 'tanks' I run across.

If you can toss your shield at that caster that isn't in the AoE deathball, you're already better than most of the paladins I run across.

Honestly, it's not that hard. If you're really concerned, grab some snacks and binge the Fatboss dungeon guides. Just watching them once makes you more prepared than 90% of the people you meet in LFG, regardless of how much you can actually memorize.
How to get over nerves of tanking?. its the same as how birds learn to fly, you just need a kick in the <snip> out of the nest and start flapping thos wings, and meaby have a guy at hand to help out with tips or moral support ^^