If only people knew how easy is to tank

General
28/09/2018 16:48Posted by Dejarous
Thats not really true, the tank dictates the pace of the run, positions mobs correctly and keeps an eye on the party health and healer mana so they know if they can pick up the speed or need to chill.

They mark dangerous mobs for focus and generally call stun / interrupt rotations in organized groups.

You're right, any idiot can stay alive. Most idiots can grab threat (eventually) but theres a clear difference between a good tank and one that meets the baseline competence check.

I agree, the most important for a tanks job is position....

You have to think where to position your enemy, so that its easier for your dps ppl to do dmg.... That what I would say in ffxiv but in wow, its just holding your aggro and doing dps as well.

Also, since these changes.. The mobs go directly to the healer or dps for no reason and their is no way to bring the mobs to your attention, only a taunt that as a CD

I suggest, Blizzard gives us an AoE taunt or see more ppl switching to dps.
Edit:
Also, Blizzard are so lazy to upgrade the UI. We are not able to see the threat generation of other and the only solution is to download addons.
That's really stupid on their part....

Well, I have come to understand that this game is not meant for me... Most of the things are outdated and for a game to have sub, should atleast make the necessary changes. Especially, when they released GCD in the abilities....
29/09/2018 06:02Posted by Cheekyute
28/09/2018 16:37Posted by Вэлренар
Well, obviously when there's no teeming+fortified (or even one of them, then, tanking is most difficult role of all).

Here's a huuuuuge secret - you're just staying alive. Nothing more. You don't die, hold aggro and you're already amazing tank.

I'd prefer to just be top1 dps. But my r.io isn't good to find party so i switched back to tanking. Super easy. I can't be killed if healer isn't afk.

Shortage of tank would be solved by... honestly, i don't know, but probably by some huge NUMBER that means nothing. Tanking m+ is easy (unless it's, as i've said, teemin+(or) fortified)

Aren't you the guy who was complaining he couldn't get a group but then when people looked up your raider.io score it came up that you weren't a very good player along with having around a 355 ilvl?

You're not getting a group for keys over 5 as dps if you don't gear up. There is a massive pool of dps players and you can pretty much pick the creme of the crop every time. That means if you want to dps you need to be grinding low level keys for warforges and titanforges while slowly building your io score. If you start now in a month or 2 you will be able to get into higher keys.

i'm not bad in any way. I do grind them, i just super unlucky with drop. Still not a single item from world bosses + coins. Weapon just doesn't drop, and you can't get score by doing same keys.

That's really why my score is low in a first place - i ignored half of mythics that i didn't need loot from and grinded those i needed.
Being a DPS is in no way more difficult than tanking due to the simple fact that there are two other DPS that can cover your mistakes. If the Tank Fails, everyone blames him after the wipe, if a DPS fails, who cares?

But if all three DPS are !@#$ (which happens way too often in BFA) then the difficult lies with the Healer that has to manage his mana and the Tank who has to try and kite / CC the mobs to not die because there's not enough damage coming from the DPS that most likely are dead due to their own stupidity.
Tanking is indeed lowest skill cap role in game however it's least engaging too. Tank can't carry group, you do your part relying on others to do theirs at good enough level. This turns many off from my point of view, people generally prefer to hold their fate in their own hands.
29/09/2018 07:20Posted by Yinke
Tanking is indeed lowest skill cap role in game however it's least engaging too. Tank can't carry group, you do your part relying on others to do theirs at good enough level. This turns many off from my point of view, people generally prefer to hold their fate in their own hands.
Tank is the only one who carries the group. if he dies while boss /trash is at high health you get one shotted and wipe.
28/09/2018 16:37Posted by Вэлренар
Here's a huuuuuge secret - you're just staying alive. Nothing more. You don't die, hold aggro and you're already amazing tank.

You havent even completed Proving Yourself: Bronze Tank >.<

But, since you know the huuuuuge secret about tanking, why dont you get wave 30 done so you get the proven defender title :P?
So many people saying so many weird things about tanking. I enjoy tanking, do it a lot too, mostly level alts that can tank on their respective tank spec, had a max level tank in every expac I have played, I join pugs and lfd/lfr and I don't see what you guys are saying. People aren't mean to me (i will add here that before i join a pug or lfr I do look up the respective raid's tactics as I'm aware how easy it is to wipe a raid as tank), in fact it's a lot easier to get a spot, and sadly, many other tanks even use that to be abusive towards others.

If you aren't making mistakes that causes wipes or constant deaths for the DPS nobody's gonna say a bad word about you as tank. If any of you wanna correct me go ahead, but In my experience (literal thousands of lfd tool runs and some pug raids) people aren't any meaner to tanks than any other role. People are rude towards each other for sure but it never needs to be about the role. No matter your role if somebody wants to insult you, they will one way or the other.

Tanking is indeed lowest skill cap role in game

You must not play a lot of BM monk to say that. If you think playing BM monk optimally is easier than playing for example Arcane mage, MM hunter or Affliction lock optimally you're probably never playing that spec or playing it wrong. Simply managing your brews correctly requires a higher skill than the whole rotation/prio system of the DPS-es mentioned above.
29/09/2018 07:43Posted by Selranath

You must not play a lot of BM monk to say that. If you think playing BM monk optimally is easier than playing for example Arcane mage, MM hunter or Affliction lock optimally you're probably never playing that spec or playing it wrong. Simply managing your brews correctly requires a higher skill than the whole rotation/prio system of the DPS-es mentioned above.

I dont even have brews on my action bar, they are macroed into abilities and require no management in content i am tanking (m+). In before... i never recieved any complains about damage i take, most of the time my selfhealing is roughly equal or even higher than healer's heal done on me. In recent timed siege +7 dps warrior recieved just slightly less healing from healer than me.
You're only right for low level dungeon keys OP. At higher keys or if you want to get more serious in dungeons there's more to consider, such as managing your healers mana and the pace of the dungeon. Then there's the standard clever use of gameplay mechanics to make the run smoother.
i would like to tank, but i dont like tank design.
some are too fast for my taste, i prefer below 55 apm, ive set aside my fury because my hands hurts after playing active content like raid or chain dungeons for an hour without rest, maybe keyboard issue, maybe its just result of 20 years of gaming. blood dk would be nice, but i despise tracking runes and stacks of bone armor. idk where warrior is in APM but its too bad to play anyway

ps
Asmongold Explains Why He's Going Tank And Difficulty Of PvE Roles!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GASFLdfvt0E
Tanking raids is very easy. It's just more noticeable when you mess up, but I don't see why people use that as an argument that tanking is very difficult. Tanking mythic progression in Legion was actually very relaxing for me compared to dpsing.

In dungeons I'd say it's probably a bit harder, although I've never tanked extremely high keys (~16-19 in NH tier).
Yea tanking is not any harder than dps or healing but like healing the tanking part of this game and any other online game is like playing a human toilet and when i play games i like to relax and not be shouted at by people with serious untreated issues that's why i choose dps.

Which is why MoP was the most fun expansion as a tank imo. You could easily top damage as a tank if you knew what you were doing with vengeance.
28/09/2018 16:48Posted by Dejarous
Thats not really true, the tank dictates the pace of the run, positions mobs correctly and keeps an eye on the party health and healer mana so they know if they can pick up the speed or need to chill.

They mark dangerous mobs for focus and generally call stun / interrupt rotations in organized groups.

You're right, any idiot can stay alive. Most idiots can grab threat (eventually) but theres a clear difference between a good tank and one that meets the baseline competence check.

lol have you done a pug lately? all people do is run in. the tank is there to fill up space in the party
Tanking is positioning and getting hit in the face. Dps is positioning, CCing, not getting hit in the face all while doing as much dps as possible. It isnt any wonder that a tank main who logged his dps alt for my key kept dieing to mechanics he could obviously just ignore as a tank. Tanking is propped up because its unfun, not because it takes more skill.
29/09/2018 09:19Posted by Noragrets
Tanking is positioning and getting hit in the face. Dps is positioning, CCing, not getting hit in the face all while doing as much dps as possible. It isnt any wonder that a tank main who logged his dps alt for my key kept dieing to mechanics he could obviously just ignore as a tank. Tanking is propped up because its unfun, not because it takes more skill.

it is indeed unfun. Especially when you explain people what to do (and you have to explain them as tank, even high r.io guys sometimes don't know stuff, boosted?) and they still ignore it. Like to stack when get buff from last in underrot. Took 4 groups to complete underrot in time +6
I kinda agree with OP ...

Since WoTLK i only played tanks or healers. Because these roles have short queue, easy acceptance into PUGs and you just have to have average skill ...

For example, yesterday i dinged 120 on a new toon , in a matter of hours i got him to 325 , did LFR and went straight to Mythic dungeons ... Tanked them no problem whatsoever ... (this was the same in previous expansions)

When i level a dps to max level it takes couple of days to get into Mythic groups (nobody wants low ilvl dps). As a low lvl DPS I first had to make my own groups just so i could play normal Mythics. And when my ilvl gets higher , only then would i maybe get excepted (too many dps out there), but still it is way harder and bothersome to get into groups as a dps than it is as a tank or a healer ... (this is my Legion experience, but i think it is the same in BfA) Also as a DPS i was always expected to be at the top of my game, while as a tank or healer i can always take it easy on low end content (such as LFR and Mythic 0)

TLDR
Tanking is way easier (at least at low end content such as Mythic 0 and LFR, and even some low level M+) than some people think ...

Also DPS is way harder than some people think ...
29/09/2018 04:52Posted by Вэлренар

well, i tanked +7 boralus in timer while being so drunk i don't even remember it. But raider says i did

I don't wanna come off mean... but this really confirms a theory xD
29/09/2018 08:45Posted by Zengliu

Which is why MoP was the most fun expansion as a tank imo. You could easily top damage as a tank if you knew what you were doing with vengeance.

Pretty much, tanking should have something that separate good from bad, in BfA nothing of it present, you just do your simple stuff and expect deeps beat the timer or reliably pass local dps checks. Once you learnt press 3 buttons in right order and do not face mob with conal aoe to group you have nothing else to learn or improve.
Ppl saying healing is easy should try heal some higher m+ on for example teeming+fortified+quaking weeks