If only people knew how easy is to tank

General
28/09/2018 16:37Posted by Вэлренар
Here's a huuuuuge secret - you're just staying alive. Nothing more. You don't die, hold aggro and you're already amazing tank.

Tanking m+ is easy

That's the attitude of a BAD tank.
30/09/2018 04:00Posted by Someoneelse

Sounds like the OP to me.
The way I see it, all the roles are equally difficult and dependent on the team. If everyone on the team pulls their weight, all the individual roles become much easier. It's a lot easier to tank when your dps know how to use their interrupts and know which targets to prioritise. It's a lot easier to dps when your tank knows how to position the mobs well for cleaving/aoe. It's a lot easier to heal when your dps can avoid taking unnecessary damage and your tank knows how to use their active mitigation well.

All the roles are connected and rely on each other to perform well.
29/09/2018 11:34Posted by Dejarous
Thanks, I really value the opinion of a guy that took an hour and a quarter to complete a +2 as the most difficult content hes seen this expac.

Raider.io? Really? You know that makes you sound pathetic?
30/09/2018 04:00Posted by Someoneelse
Here's a huuuuuge secret - you're just staying alive. Nothing more. You don't die, hold aggro and you're already amazing tank.

Tanking m+ is easy

Sounds like something a bad DD would say. ;-)
You know the kind of described by Aeronwen. The kind of dd who keeps walking cluelessly in the instance and keeps adding adds, adding challenge to the tanking job.

But yeah, totally bad tank, and we are back why there are no tanks for randoms. A tank who survives and holdes aggro ... not good enough for this DD. ;-)
Well, obviously when there's no teeming+fortified (or even one of them, then, tanking is most difficult role of all).

I'd prefer to just be top1 dps. But my r.io isn't good to find party so i switched back to tanking. Super easy. I can't be killed if healer isn't afk.

Shortage of tank would be solved by... honestly, i don't know, but probably by some huge NUMBER that means nothing. Tanking m+ is easy (unless it's, as i've said, teemin+(or) fortified)

You are the saviour of wow!
Like, i'm sure all the tanks didn't realise all that was needed was a DPS explaining them how it works!
You Sir, are an absolute god on the internet.

To any tanks out there, I am so so so sorry for you guys for having to deal with DPS who'm are like the OP.
You lott have my 200% respect for what you do, stay awesome, and thank you for tanking.
Just remember kids, it's a team effort. You pull eachother's weight quite literally in the trinity model.

If the tank is lazy, healer needs to pick up his slack by burning more mana and in turn the dps need to hit even higher dps check to prevent OOM and wipe.

If the healer is lazy, the tank needs to pick up his slack and burn more CD's to survive prompting the dps to CC more (less dps) and eventually hit that dps check again because of those CD's.

If the dps is lazy, the healer needs to once again pick up the slack by throwing more groupheals, more dispels, more everything while the tank needs to throw more CD's because the healer is preoccupied.

There is no such thing as one role carrying all the others in relevant difficulty. So by all means, keep pushing that "my role is more important", see how far you get.
It is most importantly YOUR job to stun and cancel these abilities

It's actually everyone's job. Do all tanks even have access to aoe stun/knocks?
If you progress hc normal and m+4 yes its easy, if u progress mythic and higher keys u have to know much more about encounter than dps.
29/09/2018 10:26Posted by Murdash
29/09/2018 06:52Posted by Valréan
Being a DPS is in no way more difficult than tanking due to the simple fact that there are two other DPS that can cover your mistakes. If the Tank Fails, everyone blames him after the wipe, if a DPS fails, who cares?

But if all three DPS are !@#$ (which happens way too often in BFA) then the difficult lies with the Healer that has to manage his mana and the Tank who has to try and kite / CC the mobs to not die because there's not enough damage coming from the DPS that most likely are dead due to their own stupidity.

Imo being a dps is much more frustrating and thus harder. You have to maintain your rotation (which can be very annoying even on a dummy (feral, balance)), at the same time you have to watch out for interrupts, you have to move out of aoe, you have to do the actual boss mechanics while trying to do more than 3k dps.

As a tank noone cares about your dps, you only have to interrupt stuff and don't die. There are many boss mechanics where the tank doesn't even have to do anything while the dps has to run around like crazy.

I'd pick tanking over doing dps anytime.
(not that I have a choice since druid dps is pathetic compared to a dh for example, which I also have and I totally won't play a dps class which is harder and does much less)

Sorry but that's pure Bull!@#$, I would DPS > Tank any day, It's less stressful, and if you are actually in a high key situation you can't make even one mistake (unless you are a DK) or you are pretty much toast.

Anyone that has been playing their class for a while should be able to pull their rotation (even with slight changes) off without any problems due to muscle memory.

"You have to move out of AoE" > You have to do that as a tank too unless you want your healer to suffer needlessly
"You have to watch out for interrupts" > You said it yourself: Tanks have to do it too.

It's hilarious that you imply that Tanks don't have to do what the DPS have to do, but if you really want to go there:

Tanks have to properly position the enemy/boss, Tanks have to pick up on their DPS if the actual Damage dealer are slacking off and the key is wasting away.

My point is: Every specc can be made to sound "complicated", but the truth is that during Legion I was literally half-asleep while I was a DPS and I still usually ended up being nr.1 in damage AND least damage taken while also having the most interrupts/stuns and CCs, was it hard? Not at all.

Healer > Tank > DPS, nothing will change my opinion of that after playing all three at one point or another in more difficult areas.
28/09/2018 17:41Posted by Silvermane
You hear that tanks?

You don't need to do anything.

Just que up, run in, don't die.

DPS advice to tanks.

/clap

Yup, also the reason why healers stop queueing, because (dps) tanks do this exact thing.

Guess who has to pick up on the slack?
28/09/2018 16:59Posted by Shagorad
Indeed. I was one of the crowd that was afraid of taking "so much responsibilities" as a tank. After a long time I tried tanking and realized how pi***s easy it is. In fact, you have to read a lot more about tactics as a DPS and healer. As a tank, all you need to do is to press the generate AoE agro button and face the enemy somewhere else. Worst struggle you can take will probably be switching agro with another tank or taking the boss to a specific spot in a particular raid.

Try it and you will get even better. There is nothing to be afraid of in Tanking.

You are level 113 dup!@#$, ofc it's easy. Come back when you tank +8 and above.
Tanking is easy anyone can do it, the issue is no one wants to do it.
30/09/2018 04:38Posted by Amaelia
The way I see it, all the roles are equally difficult and dependent on the team. If everyone on the team pulls their weight, all the individual roles become much easier. It's a lot easier to tank when your dps know how to use their interrupts and know which targets to prioritise. It's a lot easier to dps when your tank knows how to position the mobs well for cleaving/aoe. It's a lot easier to heal when your dps can avoid taking unnecessary damage and your tank knows how to use their active mitigation well.

All the roles are connected and rely on each other to perform well.

Amen to that.
It depends. If as a tank you're doing absolute minimum then other ppl in your party suffers from that.

- keeping mobs/boss in fire/pools
- not interupting (especially as prot palla)
- not using cc
- not kiting
- kiting into other mobs (happens too often)
- facing cleaving mobs into group
- not supporting with utility spells (in my case: hand of the protector, BoP, BoSac, LoH, BoF, BoSpell on necrotic weeks)
- picking wrong way
- pulling not necessary packs
- pulling too much
- pulling too little
- using overlapping cooldowns
- not using cooldowns
- not LoSing mobs
- not OoRing mobs

I'm not saying dps is easy (clear speed mostly depends on them), but tanking has high responsibility and often this poor tank can only depend on his/her healer :(
01/10/2018 10:26Posted by Thedice

I can talent an AoE disorient but that’s about it, breaks as soon as I do anything cause conc makes everything AoE
01/10/2018 10:26Posted by Thedice

Prot Paladins have:
-If talented a 5 second disorient.

Guardian druids have:
-A knockback from talent.
-An AoE Disorient.

Prot warriors have:
-An AoE stun that stuns for 2 seconds.
-A targetted disorient which also fears 5 enemies in an 8 yard radius around the target for 8 seconds (You can change the fear into disorient for extra 4 seconds so enemies do not run away.)

Brewmasters have:
-A 3 second stun.
-An AoE knockback (ring of peace) from Talent.

Blood Death Knights have:
-An AoE grip.

Demon Hunters have:
-An AoE silence for 6 seconds.
-An AoE fear (disorient) for 20 seconds.
-If talented an AoE grip.