[Nelf-RP] - <The Ashen Glaive> Interest Check!

Argent Dawn
Hello dear and hopefully brutally honest forum goers! I've been having a guild concept on my mind ever since BfA was announced, and the War of Thorns and Burning of Teldrassil was revealed. I made this concept all those months ago, but haven't just been willing to act on it, but now with 8.1 approaching, and blizzard seemingly following up on the Night Elves and their new lore, I am quite hopeful and think, that maybe now is the time for this concept.

That said, I would like to run this through the forums first. What do you people think about this idea of mine? Is it something you could get behind / want to see, do you have any doubts or suggestions, et cetera. So please, if you have the time, give it a look, and feel free to comment in the... well, comments!

---

“Our lands lie in ruin, the ancient forests cry out in pain and anger towards the twisted Horde, that like a blight upon our land devastate all in their path. We of the Ashen Glaive call out to all Kaldorei, for a welcomed and much needed return to tradition. We cannot rely on the Alliance to protect our lands, and for too long have we been forced to yield territory after territory to these otherworldly invaders. Let it be known to all that the Horde’s days on Kalimdor are numbered. The Horde will learn to fear every shadow that moves underneath the canopy, every sound amongst the trees could mask the storm of arrows that seek their hearts, every log and every hollow a carefully laid trap. We will remind them, that every night spent on ELVEN soil could be their last. We will remind them, and regrow our lands and forests with their blood as nutrient. We are the CHOSEN people of Elune, and by the will of the Night Warrior, all who oppose the rightful reclamation of our ancestral homelands will feel her wrath.”
Lt Elyrandis Lunarsong, of The Ashen Glaive.

Concept:

The Ashen Glaive is a Night Elf RP guild, focused around the theme of guerrilla warfare and getting revenge for Teldrassil. The Glaive is a subsection of the Kaldorei Warmachine, recently commissioned and drafted into action after the devastating loss of lives during the burning of Teldrassil and War of Thorns. Their mission is to assassinate Horde targets, disrupt trade and supply lines, harass Horde settlements, and generally spill as much Horde blood as is “elvenly” possible until they have no other choice but to leave the Elven lands entirely.

Background:

Back in Warcraft 3, during the conception of the Night Elves as a race, theirs was a conservative society of isolationism. Their borders were heavily patrolled and monitored, and any unwanted influences would be filled with arrows before they even knew what hit them. Over time, this has changed, and the Night Elven people have come to rely more and more on the Alliance for protection as our society opened up to outside influences, and have since then been forced to yield territory slowly but steadily, or at the very least share it with the Horde. The Ashen Glaive preaches for a return to the Elven roots and traditions, to become as unrelenting and ruthless in their vigil as they once were.

We believe this is in line with what Blizzard has envisioned for the Night Elves, as a recreation to the huge losses they have suffered recently, especially with the datamined Darkshore Warfronts and questlines regarding the Night Warrior ritual.

The Ashen Glaive itself is just one of many cogs in the Night Elven military forces. They are a medium sized unit, dubbed “The Ashen Glaive” in honor of the thousands of lives lost to the fires of Teldrassil, and are part of the 21st division of the Starfall Battalion. They operate on the behest of the ruling body of the Kaldorei people, rather than the Alliance command. It is worth noting that the Ashen Glaive are not at all opposed to the Alliance, and see it as a positive force in the world, and are honored to be part of it. But they argue for the importance of being able to protect your own borders and your own people, rather than having to rely on outside help and support.

General information:

As you can probably guess already, The Ashen Glaive will be focused almost entirely within the elven lands of Kalimdor. I can only think of very rare and extreme situations where we might leave. We hope to be able to grow enough to be able to support daily Roleplay, despite being away from most majority hubs. As such, we also wish to actively cooperate and interact with other guilds also active in the area, be they Alliance or Horde affiliated, for everyone’s benefit and entertainment.

Generally speaking, we wish to create a friendly and relaxed atmosphere where players feel welcomed and accepted. We strive to create a healthy and drama-free community where characters and players have a chance to grow and develop over time, while promoting quality and lore-friendly Roleplay. We are extremely understanding of the fact that sometimes, things happen and you are either unable to Roleplay or simply do not feel like it. We do not want members to treat the guild like a chore where you are forced to come online and attend an event, resulting in minimal effort emotes and just wishing for the event to be done and over with. If you for one reason or another just don’t feel like attending an event for example, just say so, and we’d be more than understanding.

That said, we do primarily seek main characters that the player plan on being somewhat active on. If you are only going to come online on the character once every two weeks, we do not see much point in why you should be in a guild in the first place. So we do expect some activity from our members, yet strive to be stress and pressure free, which is a difficult path to balance I admit, but we’ll certainly try our best.

Structure:

The Ashen Glaive is part of the Sentinels as a whole, and thus we follow the Sentinel outline quite closely. The ranks were made keeping the Sentinels in mind, as we cater wholly towards the Sentinel RP-scene. The name of the ranks reflect rank and status, purely. You do not need to be a hunter OOC to receive the rank of a Huntress, for example.

Ranks:

Fledgling (Recruit): Before you have been properly filed into the Ashen Glaive, you are considered a Fledgling, which is somewhat degrading term but used only with affectionate intent. You are new to the Ashen Glaive, and new to how things operate in this unit. Until you learn what goes and what doesn’t, you are considered a Fledgling.

Outrunner (Junior Member): Often younger and less experienced than those of the Sentinel rank, the Outrunners might be the rookies amongst the Sentinels, but still have decades of weapon and stealth training under their belt, making them an already very lethal force to be reckoned with.

Sentinel (Member): The Sentinels are the core of the Ashen Glaive, well versed in handling both melee and ranged combat, stealth and guerrilla tactics.

Huntress (Veteran Member): The Huntresses are the veterans of the Sentinels, with many years of experience of combat. They are held in very high esteem, and are considered the elite warriors of the Kaldorei society.

Moonblade (Junior Officer): The Moonblades are not officially part of the officer cadre, but serve to assist the leadership best they can, ensuring discipline and proper conduct is followed, as well as occasionally leading missions. Only those who have served with the Ashen Glaive for a longer period of time will be considered for this position.

Adjutant (Officer): The Adjutants are the officers of the Ashen Glaive and assist the Lieutenant with running the Ashen Glaives day-to-day operations. They handle recruitment, hold drills, lead missions, and everything in between.

Lieutenant (GM): The Leader of the Ashen Glaive is Lieutenant Elyrandis Lunarsong.
Recruitment:

This brings us to the last main topic, namely recruitment. Since we will not be around any major hubs most of the time, and certainly not Stormwind, your best bet to be recruited is to whisper one of the officers or the GM directly, send us a letter in-game, or comment here on the thread so we may set something up. In character, you could be applying for a change to this unit, or be a fresh recruit drafted into it. But, lets look at restrictions:

Race: Night Elf only. While it is true Worgen have been accepted into Sentinels as of late, the Ashen Glaive plays on the night elf theme, and are overall rather conservative and traditional in their approach to things. For that reason, we do not accept Worgen.

Class: If your character can properly portray a Sentinel, and look the part, the OOC class is not extremely important. If your character identifies as a Sentinel first and foremost, that's the most important part.

Level: Be at least lvl 60+ before applying. It is so much easier for everyone involved if we don’t have to worry about you dying to the mobs in a zone. Also, higher level means access to more transmog options, and shows that you are dedicated to your character. We also occasionally might do PvP and PvE content, and if you want a shot at joining, you need to be max level.

Rules: We’re not fond of making some list of what is and isn’t allowed in the guild, especially since we expect that everyone we recruit are sensible enough to respect their fellow guildies and fellow players in general. We hope people treat others the way they wish to be treated in turn, and look after each other. That said, we have little tolerance for OOC drama, and anything that goes against Blizzards terms of service, such as explicitly erotic emotes or gruesome torture, is not allowed. If you absolutely must engage in such with another player, do so over private channels. If any such content is found in a public channel, it will result in a warning or removal.

Any unwanted behavior will result in a warning, notifying the player that we do not think that behavior is ok. Should the player continue, that will lead to a kick in the future.

FAQ:

Q: Do you enforce some form of uniform?

A: We do, yes. We strive to create some sort of uniform appearance, for the Sentinels. Currently the uniform is the Tier 1 and 2 armor rewards from the Darkshore Warfront, for Plate, Mail and Leather. Once the Night Elf racial gear is revealed, that too might work.

Q: What’s the story behind the guild name?

A: Elyr’s oldest sister died on Teldrassil, as she refused to leave while there were still civilians present. She always favored the glaive as a weapon, and it was the only thing to be retrieved from the embers of the great tree, covered in ash and dust. “The Ashen Glaive” is thus not only an homage to those that died in the ruthless attack, but also symbolizes that we’re not done fighting yet. From the ashes, the Night Elves will rise anew.

Q: Will you have some sort of hub or base to return to, between missions and campaigns? Somewhere to be centered around?

A: Yes, and we are currently considering Thal’darah Overlook, in Stonetalon Mountains. It is not big, but it doesn’t have to be. It is relatively close to most territory you could consider to be elven, such as Ashenvale, Darkshore, Mount Hyjal, but also Desolace and Feralas, and has the required capabilities to house a small unit of Sentinels.

Q: How are you different from any other Sentinel-esque guild out there? Why not just join an existing concept?

A: First of all, I do not think this is ever a valid question or critique that you have to be entirely unique and special to have a reason to exist. Every concept, no matter how similar to another, is bound to be different purely because the members are different. But, that said, I think we are different from the others out there, all the same. To begin with, we’d likely be a bit more strictly militaristic than the other Sentinel guilds I can think of, and we are also structured differently. We’d also be a bit more traditional, and not allow Worgen to enlist. Finally, we play very heavy on the themes of revenge and brutality against the Horde that the other guilds might not have embraced as heavily as we do, but that is my assumption, so take that with a grain of salt.

Q: My character has long been a Sentinel, how would you handle that? Would she still start from the very bottom?

A: Everyone, no matter character history, starts as a Fledgling for the first week or two. Consider it a trial period, where we get a feel for you, and you a feel for us. No matter experience, your character will still be new to the unit and its leadership. After that trial period however, if your character is an experienced Sentinel, she will be slotted into the Sentinel Rank. If your character is relatively new to being a Sentinel, she will be slotted into the Outrunner Rank.
Sounds interesting. If this wasn't my only Nelf I'd hit this up.

She will find a home one day.
I love it, it's exactly the kind of guild I would join on my night elf characters! Sadly I can't, since I lead a guild myself so I could never properly commit to a second one time-wise. I hope you'll find much enthusiasm and success with this.

I'd gladly RP alongside such a guild, once we travel to Kalimdor in the post 8.1 future.
This looks quite cool and well thought out, While I wouldn't say that the Night Elf scene can't do with more sentinel guilds or that yours need to be uniquely different I do think the scene could benefit more from something else at the current time.

With that said, I don't have a sentinel character myself but I might throw another elf at your auxiliaries down the line, have my like until then.
I'll have to echo what Stagrunner said. A little twist to the Sentinel grove trope wouldn't be amiss at all, I'd say! However, there is room, however scant it can be. Aside from that, I'd personally prune the ranks a bit as well. Having a rank for everyone is fine and dandy in character, but too many of them gets convoluted quickly and doesn't really accomplish anything.
Very interesting.

Happy to see more RP guild threads up, it seems to be more PvE orientated lately so I'm happy to see a change.

Good luck with your guild. :)
03/10/2018 19:29Posted by Shadebloom
I'll have to echo what Starhelm said.

I'm not sure what to think of this, but I'll take it as a compliment.
03/10/2018 19:37Posted by Stagrunner
03/10/2018 19:29Posted by Shadebloom
I'll have to echo what Starhelm said.

I'm not sure what to think of this, but I'll take it as a compliment.

It is I
My bad. I blame the forum avatar. I just quickly glossed over the name and it looked too similiar!
03/10/2018 17:56Posted by Elyrandis
Male characters will only be allowed under the Auxiliary rank as we’re a rather traditional guild. If you want to play a male sentinel, we’ll refer you to the other more accepting and less strict Sentinel guilds out there.

Can I ask what your IC reasoning for this would be? I understand that you OOC wish for a strong traditionalist night elf vibe, but the whole reason male sentinels were accepted was due to the high number of losses after the Third War. With more and more losses being taken now in particular, does it make sense not to take male sentinels? Would your order be allowed to, assuming that it is still functioning under the Sisterhood and higher military leaders?
03/10/2018 19:54Posted by Paraselene
Can I ask what your IC reasoning for this would be? I understand that you OOC wish for a strong traditionalist night elf vibe, but the whole reason male sentinels were accepted was due to the high number of losses after the Third War. With more and more losses being taken now in particular, does it make sense not to take male sentinels? Would your order be allowed to, assuming that it is still functioning under the Sisterhood and higher military leaders?

And male Sentinels are allowed in the Sentinels, just not this unit that Elyrandis commands. So amongst the Sentinels as a whole, it certainly does make sense, but the Ashen Glaive does only represent a small, rather traditional part of the elven warmachine, and I daresay she is in the position to choose who can join the unit, and who can not. Hope this answer was somewhat satisfactory!
03/10/2018 20:14Posted by Elyrandis
And male Sentinels are allowed in the Sentinels, just not this unit that Elyrandis commands. So amongst the Sentinels as a whole, it certainly does make sense, but the Ashen Glaive does only represent a small, rather traditional part of the elven warmachine, and I daresay she is in the position to choose who can join the unit, and who can not. Hope this answer was somewhat satisfactory!

While it is fair if that is her -personal- preference (perhaps she thinks they are inexperienced?), but considering there are male priests now, female druids and male sentinels, it is a bit odd to just give "tradition" as a response. I too was curious about the IC -reasoning-.

I daresay she is in the position to choose who can join the unit, and who can not. Hope this answer was somewhat satisfactory!

I wouldn't say so. If you are part of the official warmachine, then the commander also has to abide by some rules. Of course, no one can prove that higher ranks would "force" a unit to also take males.
03/10/2018 17:57Posted by Elyrandis
Class: It is easier to say what we don’t accept

03/10/2018 17:57Posted by Elyrandis
Monks

Not even as Auxilliaries? If Priestesses and even Druids can, at the very least, be an auxilliary, what is wrong with Monks? It's not like Night Elves look at a Mistwalker healing someone and grab their pitchforks while their friendly neighbourhood Druid sucks the life outta some plant to do the same. I also personally know of plenty people who RP as Sentinel Monks and do a fine job at it.

Just curious, everything else looks fine!
03/10/2018 20:35Posted by Zenys
While it is fair if that is her -personal- preference (perhaps she thinks they are inexperienced?), but considering there are male priests now, female druids and male sentinels, it is a bit odd to just give "tradition" as a response. I too was curious about the IC -reasoning-.

Well, it is one of the more difficult decisions to make in the guild, and not a decision made likely, nor is it final. I am open to feedback, and do acknowledge that there is indeed some contention there. That said, as far as I am aware, male sentinels are still quite rare, especially since they have only been allowed very recently, and from an IC standpoint I am not sure whether or not males would be forcibly integrated into every existing unit, especially when becoming a full-fledged Sentinel often takes decades of training. But who knows, in the future, perhaps we'd eventually open up for male Sentinels, if there is a big desire for it!
03/10/2018 20:48Posted by Elyrandis
That said, as far as I am aware, male sentinels are still quite rare, especially since they have only been allowed very recently, and from an IC standpoint I am not sure whether or not males would be forcibly integrated into every existing unit, especially when becoming a full-fledged Sentinel often takes decades of training. But who knows, in the future, perhaps we'd eventually open up for male Sentinels, if there is a big desire for it!

They are all over Darkshore's shores and there are even Sentinel male officers around Astranaar! This may be good to know. In any case, good luck with your guild if it happens.

https://wow.gamepedia.com/Astranaar_Officer
I really like this, it looks great! Nice to see more than just one Sentinel unit, and hey. A good place for traditionalist elves.
03/10/2018 20:40Posted by Emberweaver
Not even as Auxilliaries? If Priestesses and even Druids can, at the very least, be an auxilliary, what is wrong with Monks? It's not like Night Elves look at a Mistwalker healing someone and grab their pitchforks while their friendly neighbourhood Druid sucks the life outta some plant to do the same. I also personally know of plenty people who RP as Sentinel Monks and do a fine job at it.

Just curious, everything else looks fine!

Oh I might have worded myself a bit poorly, we do accept monks, if they portray themselves as proper Sentinels. We might accept an outright monk or two under the Auxiliary rank, just like druids and proper priestesses. But the main idea is to keep the Auxiliary as a minority, our main focus lies on the Sentinel Aspect. We'd only allow very few Auxiliaries, and refer any other to perhaps more accepting guilds.
03/10/2018 20:49Posted by Zenys
They are all over Darkshore's shores and there are even Sentinel male officers around Astranaar! This may be good to know. In any case, good luck with your guild if it happens.

https://wow.gamepedia.com/Astranaar_Officer

Appreciate it! Will take this under consideration ^^
I think ultimately it's their spin on the Sentinel guilds, and would bring variety to the current scene where AFAIK both of the current Sentinel guilds allow pretty much everybody - men, monks, druids etc.

I have two questions myself though -

a) Obviously, now most if not all guilds are stationed in Kalimdor (as they should be), but to my knowledge the other Sentinel guilds still get around, with trips to EK, or now in BfA, Kul Tiras and Zandalar. Is this particular guild only going to be contained in Kalimdor, or will they have the freedom to go on missions elsewhere as well? Eg, RP-PvP campaigns, story happenings elsewhere with Sentinel presence and so on?

A small leap to the side: what is your opinion on RP-PvP campaigns? Will we see Ashen Crest representing Sentinel force as well alongside Bladecrest? Recent campaigns in Kalimdor have been somewhat disappointing aesthetically, where in Drums of War for example, the majority weren't Night Elves.

b) Given the heavy focus on militaristic aspect of the Sentinels, will this be mostly robotic-esque drill RP and standing around like gargoyles outside of Horde fighting? Similar concepts have become very stale quickly due to the repetitive nature of training events and haven't been very fun in my experience.

Other than echoing the questions about the many ranks (too many for a beginning guild, might be too bloated? And are the Outrunners in this guild more as just novices, or following the lore-version of spies/scouts/maybe couriers?)...
I hope this guild will do well! It does look quite promising right now.

More variety is always welcome in the Night Elf RP scene!