Holy Paladin, Batman! WTF new spell animations

General
I started some topics in the Pally class forums a while back, back when the first round of Paladin spell change updates. More people need to weigh in on all this.

Have a read here: https://eu.battle.net/forums/en/wow/topic/17624262407

So now we get a new bunch of spells and they are cheap as hell, it's crossed the line- I work in animation and have experience with special effects, these new effects looks so poorly thought through and executed. What the hell was wrong with the existing spells?????? can somebody tell me that?!!?! a floating beam of light from that guy with a torch sitting invisibly in a cloud above your head??! Golden showers of light? Will there be singing too??

Come on people, can we put the breaks on this or push for ensuring glyphs are rolled out so we can choose to get rid of this !@#$?

@ Blizz, give me a decent artcraft blog post and own up to these new Paladin spell effects, where's your critical thinking here, what's logic?!?!- the new work on the spell effects looks terrible and cheap. Give me the reasoning how any of the new spell effects for Paladins fit with the class fantasy of an avenger/holy warrior, a brutal zealot wielding the light as a weapon! Instead we get golden showers? Fiery flaming looking spells effects instead of yellow holy "light"? you know we're Light based right? Not fire mages or shamans..

The animation timing.
The new spell effects, except some of the pulsing effects on AW are so slow now, the animation speed really fits with showering. What is the reason for replacing the punchy "Flash" of Light animation, that fits so well in the heat of combat as a fast heal? What we're suddenly going to take time out and have a shower before throwing our hammers again?

The same goes for the Mr.softy Pally fire heals that are just softly floating two-dimensionally over the target. This game is focused around combat and the pace of combat- even after the GCD pacing nerf(which by the way I think was fine)- this sort of slow spell effects to slow everything down even more.

These changes are not spell effects updates, they are poorly designed conceptual changes to the class fantasy.
its not only that. I have the feeling they have new animation-designers and they are directly out of university with 0 experience and let them tryout stuff here.

For real - i mean, look at the 'holding ranged weapon' animation.

Its not a real animation, they DONT MOVE their arms a bit. Its like they have robotic arms in the end. there is no feel of 'living' inside them.
Sorry but I just had a look and quite like them, my only criticism is that the Flash of Light animation seemingly comes out of nowhere, it’s too pointy needs to be a bit softer. I don’t know how else to describe :S
Interns
04/10/2018 08:20Posted by Nimrhys
Sorry but I just had a look and quite like them, my only criticism is that the Flash of Light animation seemingly comes out of nowhere, it’s too pointy needs to be a bit softer. I don’t know how else to describe :S

Are you saying you like fire heals? lol
Another guy in the Pally sub said if it was a Glyph effect specifically for Dark Iron Pally's then, yea, it would make so much sense. But apparently it's a global paladin change. Are people saying this stuff doesn't like like fire spells otherwise?

I think if this is a new effect toolkit of healers only, I might say it's ok, but for melee combat classes like Ret and Prot these changes don't make sense at all and don't even look as good as the previous ones.

Blizz has pretty much admitted their specs are pretty much different classes at this point, so messing with key visuals like this that don't mesh with the other specific spec/class fantasy just seems at best really poorly judged and at worst just rubbish.
04/10/2018 04:23Posted by Phoenicia
What the hell was wrong with the existing spells??????

Because they looked worse than lens flare in a call of duty montage
What the hell was wrong with the existing spells?????? can somebody tell me that?!!?!

I'll preface by saying that I think they look cool. And my Horde character is a level 120 Blood Elf Paladin.

So what was wrong with the existing spells?

Well first of all, then they were underwhelming. Compared to Restoration Druid, Restoration Shaman, and Mistweaver Monks, the Holy Paladin spells were definitely in need of a face-lift.
The visual coolness of the various classes and specs should sort of feel similar.

Beyond that, then Paladins and Priests have always suffered from the fact that their themes overlap too much. They're very hard to distinguish from each other, because they both use The Light.

Blizzard seems to try and distinguish Paladins more from Priests by emphasizing the theme of the Holy Templar or Righteous Crusader. As the Paladin name implies, then there's something divine and heavenly about it. And these new spell animations really seem to embody that. It's about invoking The Holy Light. Not just The Light, but The Holy Light.

All that being said, I wouldn't mind if the Flash of Light animation faded out a bit more around the edges, so it blended in more with its surroundings. But other than that, I think it's all cool :)
04/10/2018 08:53Posted by Phoenicia
Are you saying you like fire heals?

Yes. Fits wonderfully for Belves too. Holy fire!
I actually quite like them, though my Holy Paladin is benched at the moment as I swapped mains in BfA. The only thing I would say is that FoL looks a bit like it is coming from a spotlight, but still a vast improvement on what we had.
New Orc bow animations (which didn't need changed in the first place). "Fixed" Male Blood Elf bow animations where the string cuts their torso in half.

I mean. Are you really that surprised?
I work in animation

Blender hobby doesn't count.
04/10/2018 09:41Posted by Jito
What the hell was wrong with the existing spells?????? can somebody tell me that?!!?!

Beyond that, then Paladins and Priests have always suffered from the fact that their themes overlap too much. They're very hard to distinguish from each other, because they both use The Light.

Blizzard seems to try and distinguish Paladins more from Priests by emphasizing the theme of the Holy Templar or Righteous Crusader. As the Paladin name implies, then there's something divine and heavenly about it. And these new spell animations really seem to embody that. It's about invoking The Holy Light. Not just The Light, but The Holy Light.

This is probably the single most reasonable motivation for tackling the Pally spell kit, it doesn't excuse the poor execution though. But I think a priest can say the same thing about "Holy Light" usage....

In all my years playing the game I've not once had an issue with Priests and Paladins sharing a spell theme. Fire mages, shamans even Locks pretty much get a standardised set of cool new fire animations, so will this new "light" spell effect crossover to Priest now?? You're saying there should be a difference between Pally and Priest, but I don't think there needs to be.

In the case of fitting race specific themes, like the fire angle I am 100% ok with this so long as it's rolled out as a Glyph system. This kind of customisation is awesome and Warlocks already have these kinds of options.
They should just stop messing with things that don't need fixing and concentrate on things that are quite seriously broken.

There was nothing wrong with the original Paladin animations, never has been, they were quite distinctive and easy to see what they were, now there just a mess, this whole expansion seems to have been about messing with things that have been perfectly fine for 13 years and less and less about looking at seriously broken things. I don't understand there logic, making somethings look better, in their eyes, does not hide the multitude of broken things in the game.

Some things are better left alone, game been pretty successful for 13 years, you simply do not mess with success, unless you intentionally want to break it, which is what they seem to be doing with everything in this expansion
04/10/2018 10:15Posted by Shammoz
I actually quite like them, though my Holy Paladin is benched at the moment as I swapped mains in BfA. The only thing I would say is that FoL looks a bit like it is coming from a spotlight, but still a vast improvement on what we had.

Too bad there is no dislike option...

I loved the idea of reading a book for FoL that was planned bit this is the single worst animation to be in game. I can understand if ret paladin have fire based spell but holy paladin with fiery spells is not class fantasy nor is a good idea. It looks bad, its badly planned its a bad idea. I like new wings animation but that is just not a holy spell. It will be better for scourge animation on a mage.

As for beacon of light it looks ok IF the whole colour scheme is changed to golden. BUT I am afraid it will mask and hide some personal damage cooldowns wich is bad for pvp. Imagine mage with beacon that uses combustion... Its A BAD idea.
04/10/2018 15:28Posted by Bulldozer
this is the single worst animation to be in game.

I appreciate the thought, and it is indeed very bad, but "single worst animation" is a VERY high (or low) bar.

Yes, these are horrible changes, but IMO they haven't been making any good changes for a very long time, so just about what we have come to expect.

A competition for the actual "Worst Animation in Game" would be fun, though.
I think the new animations are over the top, and look kinda cheap too.

- Flash of light : what the !@#$ is that ? I'm showering someone with light ? Urrrk, I hope the tank doesn't see the animation, because paladin heal will get flamed hardcore by "wtf is this shiat ?? I'm gonna vomit, stop spamming it god damnit" "but it's my main spell...".

- Beacon of light : it's not on the level of flash of light, but... just why ? Beacon was just a buff. I'm casting it myself, I don't need a big THIS GUY IS UNDER BEACON CAN YOU SEEEEEEE IT ??? I mean come on Blizzard, are you even playing healer ? Healing = healbot minigame, I just look at life bars and bad stuff on the ground, I will maybe never look for more than 5sec at the target of my beacon of light.

- Light of dawn : looks like a unicorn puking some light. At least the animation is fast.

I don't know why Blizzard wants that much to change spell animations that were fine enough. I guess it's easier to make things look "beautiful" (and that's debatable) than creating engaging gameplay for the classes.
I just think the devs didn't realise that class spell fantasy is as important as the iconic races...

You could imagine the outrage if they hadn't done all those neat artcraft blogs about prepping people for the HD character race art updates.

To be honest the spells deserve the same level of sensitivity.