Why am I hitting pigs for 800k?

General
When I'm hanging out in Durotar I sometimes kill the pigs there and I hit them for 800k with my fireball.

Why? How? I really don't unterstand how scaling works. Not a bit.
Durotar is a level 1-20 area. You said that you used a fireball, but you didn't mention your mage's level. If you are much higher level than the level the area is designed for, you will deal much more damage.

Critters though will also suffer much more damage regardless of player level.
Basically, the larger the power disparity between you and the mob, the more damage the mob will take.

That's why your damage skyrockets against low level mobs.

It's mostly meant to make farming low level content a breeze I think.
Instead of having any real attributes, your target in a scaling environment gets hit for a percentage worked out by your gear values compared to an assumed nomal gear value for someone of your level.

Except when you cross a scaling boundary.

When a mob is below a scaling boundary (20, 60, 80, 100, 110) you are above, you get an extra invisible power called the Legacy Buff that multiplies your damage against it.
Let me explain , they got low armor , low % dmg percentage reduction .
Go to the target dummies and test it , 120 mobs , 121 , 122 ,and 123 which are bosses , to all of this targets u will do less dmg , it's the opposite when u hit a low lvl mob .
29/09/2018 22:02Posted by Loolatsch
I really don't unterstand how scaling works.

So you are a Blizzard employee? :>
29/09/2018 22:27Posted by Aarna
Let me explain , they got low armor , low % dmg percentage reduction .
Go to the target dummies and test it , 120 mobs , 121 , 122 ,and 123 which are bosses , to all of this targets u will do less dmg , it's the opposite when u hit a low lvl mob .

The problem isnt that. The mobs can have 0% armor, 0% reduction, 0 of any sort of defense. But it looks weird when my mutilate tooltip says 3182 dmg, but I hit a lvl 8 spider 200k. With 0 dmg reduction, it should hit 3182, not 200k. Even my hp is 119k atm. If I'm hitting a mob with 0 dmg reduction 200k, why do I hit players at lvl 120 for 3k? From 200k to 3k, that looks like 98,5% dmg reduction.

I'm not saying its a bad thing, it makes low level dungeons etc easier, but it just looks weird.
29/09/2018 22:36Posted by Willoras
I'm not saying its a bad thing

Well, I am.

Nothing in the game has any reality or identity anymore. You can slaughter Hogger as a level 1, but you still can't beat the tough guys who took your lunch money 15 levels ago? Every regular mob takes THE EXACT SAME time and effort to kill IN THE EXACT SAME WAY all from 15 to 90? Bad. Bad. Bad. Bad. Bad. All bad. No good here.
When I'm hanging out in Durotar I sometimes kill the pigs there and I hit them for 800k with my fireball.

Why? How? I really don't unterstand how scaling works. Not a bit.

Some expansions ago, before WoD I think, your damage just went up and up every expansion. You could be doing 100k dps in late Cataclysm, 1M dps early MoP, 10M dps late MoP. Obviously, the health of mobs in the then current content would scale like that as well.

So if you had late MoP gear you'd go back, and utterly annihilate anything from cataclysm, because you'd be doing 100 times the dps, but the healthbars of bosses/mobs stayed the same.

Then Blizzard came up with the idea of the statsquish, it was done so the numbers players saw in game, health, mana, damage, stats, etc. wouldn't grow out of bounds. As a result, the numbers are a lot closer together. In order for players to still easily be able to solo old content, they just have a buff behind the screens that increases everything you do whenever you do something that was for more than 10 levels ago.

So that fireball, that would hit a lvl 120 mob for ~20k (or at least in that ballpark), will get massive bonusses behind the screens, increasing the damage to the 800k you mentioned. It's a bit silly, but it's a bandaid fix to make sure you can do older raids on your own.
We wouldn't have even been in this mess if they kept the scaling at a proper rate...

Just take a look at wrath to cataclysm, how did we go from 25-35k health to over 100k health?

Then in MoP, our healths soared to 300k and such, if you keep tripling the health values like that it would be over 900k in WoD, 2.7mil in legion and right now we would likely have over 8 million health... however as they added a rediculous amount of modes to content, we would likely have even more than that. At that rate and at some point they would eventually need a top tier mathematician to even begin to start the numbers balancing
29/09/2018 23:53Posted by Gráinne
29/09/2018 22:36Posted by Willoras
I'm not saying its a bad thing

Well, I am.

Nothing in the game has any reality or identity anymore. You can slaughter Hogger as a level 1, but you still can't beat the tough guys who took your lunch money 15 levels ago? Every regular mob takes THE EXACT SAME time and effort to kill IN THE EXACT SAME WAY all from 15 to 90? Bad. Bad. Bad. Bad. Bad. All bad. No good here.

Hmhm.

When I look at a mob's HP and it's like "200k" , I'm like "Oh, right, so it's a "category level 4 mob" .... It doesn't matter what the mob is, it's THAT template.

It takes a lot of the immersion out of it when you're looking at mobs as literally "mechanics and stat templates" rather than living, breathing things.

You know, I always see "health" as a reflection of a units physical mass and fortitude, the amount of "meat" you need to carve away before it dies. That seems logical to me. Something that's twice as big as you should have twice as much health.

But Blizzard just sees it as a mechanic, completely dislodged from any sense in terms of biology of the specific unit.

It's just "this challenge requires category 3 strength mobs", and it just so happens to have X race as a coating.
When I'm hanging out in Durotar I sometimes kill the pigs there and I hit them for 800k with my fireball..

Instant bacon...
Pig: Weak
You: Strong
You hit something with a huge level difference, it dies quick. not really a shock for someone who's played since 2016.
Only 800k ?

L2P nub :p
30/09/2018 00:48Posted by Naeya
Hmhm.

When I look at a mob's HP and it's like "200k" , I'm like "Oh, right, so it's a "category level 4 mob" .... It doesn't matter what the mob is, it's THAT template.

It takes a lot of the immersion out of it when you're looking at mobs as literally "mechanics and stat templates" rather than living, breathing things.

You know, I always see "health" as a reflection of a units physical mass and fortitude, the amount of "meat" you need to carve away before it dies. That seems logical to me. Something that's twice as big as you should have twice as much health.

But Blizzard just sees it as a mechanic, completely dislodged from any sense in terms of biology of the specific unit.

It's just "this challenge requires category 3 strength mobs", and it just so happens to have X race as a coating.

Yes, pretty much.

Except for scaling.

As I showed when I recorded kills throughout the levels, ALL STANDARD MOBS from levels 15 through 90, although they may show different numbers, TAKE (almost) EXACTLY THE SAME ROTATION TO KILL.

Now, to be entirely accurate, I have to qualify that. You will kill every mob of a given category with exactly the same sequence of attacks, whatever your level, assuming your gear is at the same percentage ratio at each level (as it is will full heirlooms, for example). And there are different categories of mobs. Caster and healer mobs have exactly 20% less health than melee, to compensate for being at least 20% more annoying, I presume. And then there are elites and "quest bosses", who are on a different template, and there are "small swarms" of 3 or 4 very weak mobs dotted here and there, but yes, you could say:

Category 1: Melee.
Category 2: Caster/Healer
Category 3: Quest Boss (some variation)
Category 4: Elite (some variation)
Category 5: Small Swarm

Level 90 is because of the Draenor Bump, but I noticed the same thing again when levelling 110-120.

And there is no escaping this. You can't go "up" a couple of levels for a challenge, and you can't go "down" a couple of levels for an easier time.

Wherever you go within your expansion range, you will always face Standard Mob Category X again and again and again.

I have no zone, and I must scream.

However, Loolatsch's question is related to the Legacy Buff. When you are fighting mobs of a different lower expansion, you get an invisible undocumented charge of superpowers. II remember somebody did numbers on it somewhere, but I can't remember where I saw it.
Pig should be well done anyway, so it's fine.
29/09/2018 22:28Posted by Shopkeeper
I really don't unterstand how scaling works.

So you are a Blizzard employee? :>

AHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHHA