[Forum Fun 'RPG']: The Tyranny of King Blackmoore

Argent Dawn
1 2 3 11 Next
Hello!

This is something of an experiment. Different from my usual 'forum fun' threads.

This'll be a roll-free, turn-based tabletop-lite RPG style adventure! You will create a character, and then I will put them through a grim battle in this thread, filled with peril and chaos!

It'll work in according to turns. I will post, describing what your characters encounter, and then you will post describing how they respond and the actions they attempt!

This may be different from normal forms of roleplaying, but hopefully it'll be fun if it works out, and if not, at least it'll have been a worthy endeavour.

Will your character survive the adventure, or perish in despair?

What is the story?

In an alternate timeline (detailed in Thrall: The Shattering), Thrall perished as an infant. Aedelas Blackmoore, leading an vast army of mercenaries, killed Orgrim Doomhammer and won the Battle of Blackrock Spire.

The Horde was at his mercy, yet, rather than put the Orcs in camps, he instead conscripted them into his personal army. Now, he has returned home, with ten thousand warriors at his back! The Capital City of Lordaeron has fallen to Blackmoore's legions of mercenaries, monsters and blood-crazed Orcs. Aedelas has taken the throne of Lordaeron, and he will stop at nothing to conquer all who remain to resist him.

You are one of the defenders of The Eastweald. With the Alliance in tatters, you are all that stands between Blackmoore's horde and total domination of Lordaeron. In the name of King Arthas, you must defend Vandermar Village and it's keep, else all will lie beneath the banner of Blackmoore!

How do I make a character?

In this, you will play one of Vandermar Village's defenders in the alternate timeline. They consist of all the original Alliance races (High Elves, Dwarves, Humans) but also local mercenaries hired out of desperation, in return to hastily offered promises of clemency and land if they fight. This includes Forest Trolls, Ogres, Frostwolf Orcs, Dark Iron Dwarves and even Gnolls. As this is set in an alternate timeline, you're allowed as much creative freedom as you desire.

To make things simple and familiar for those who haven't done RP of this type like this before, we'll be borrowing the S.P.E.C.I.A.L system from Fallout for our stat system.

Stats are optional, as they will be largely for flavour and situational. For example, a good Perception score might allow someone to pick a lock, while a poor Agility score might cause one to trip up while running. As stated, they are optional for those who want to jump in and fight.

All characters by default have the same number of health-points as their endurance score. Those who decline the stat sheet will have 5 points.

Example Character Sheet:

Name: Robert Pryce
Race: Human
Sex: Male
Class: Warrior
Weapon(s): Broadsword (3 Damage), Kite Shield (4 Armour, 1 Damage)
Armour: Militia Chain-mail (5 Armour)

Armour provides a limited HP bonus, like a second health bar. Armour degrades first, and then health.

Damage is a combination of your weapon and stat required to use it.
For example: Magic Staff (2 Damage) + Intelligence (5) = 7 Damage to that enemy.

You have five points to add to each category, with '5' being average. You can also reduce any stat below 5 to gain extra points, at the expense of weakness in a certain area.

Strength: 7/10 - Strength is a measure of melee damage to enemies.
Endurance: 8/10 - Endurance is a measure of health.
Perception: 5/10 - Perception is a measure of intuition and ranged damage.
Intelligence: 5/10 - A measure of magical damage, and general knowledge.
Agility: 3/10 - A measure of the ability to sneak, climb or move quickly.
Charisma: 5/10 - A measure of social guile. Use this to persaude NPCs.
Luck: 6/10 - May result in good fortune if above 5, and misfortune below 5.

Special Ability: - You can optionally give your character one or more special abilities. Feel free to be creative. A good example would be a summonable magic eye that boosts their Perception to maximum for one turn, or an ability that enhances allies' endurance for a few turns.

Backstory: A simple human peasant of Vandermar Village, Robert was forced into the militia at short notice. He has some experience swinging a blade from battling against the Gnolls, but personally thanks his survival to his lucky wedding ring.

When we're ready, I will start by making a post detailing the scene, and then we can start interacting. I'll allow a few turns for you to familiarise yourself with your characters, before starting the scenario. This'll be slow paced, but hopefully fun.

Please take as much time as you need, and please post your character sheets in the thread below if you'd like to partake. We will be beginning around this evening.

Let's see if this experiment works out!

Template Character Sheet:

Race:
Class:
Weapon(s):
Armour:

You have -5- stat points to spend.

Strength: 5/10 - Strength is a measure of melee damage to enemies.
Endurance: 5/10 - Endurance is a measure of health.
Perception: 5/10 - Perception is a measure of intuition and ranged damage.
Agility: 5/10 - A measure of the ability to sneak, climb or move quickly.
Charisma: 5/10 - A measure of social guile. Use this to persaude NPCs.
Luck: 5/10 - May result in good fortune if above 5, and misfortune below 5.

Special Ability:

Backstory:
Map

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/497836202620092418/500788718089666600/Vandermar_Game_Map.png

Player Characters

Crowton Blakemore, Human Rogue | 5/5 Health | 2/2 Armour | Brown Dot
3+3 Melee Damage

Copper, Human Rogue, | 4/4 Health | 1/1 Armour | Copper Dot
1+4 Melee Damage, 2+6 Ranged Damage

One-Head Odmugg, Ogre Facesmasher | 10/10 Health | 1/1 Armour | Yellow Dot
3+9 Melee Damage

Ren'zul, Forest Troll Headhunter | 5/5 Health | 1/3 Armour | Green Dot
2+5 Melee Damage, 4+8 Ranged Damage

Crocell, High Elf Ranger | 3/5 Health | 0/2 Armour | Purple Dot
2-3+6 Melee Damage, 3-6+7 Ranged Damage

Thalanaar Elrendar, High Elf Ranger, | 6/6 Health | 1/1 Armour | Blue Dot
2+5 Melee Damage (x2), 3+9 Ranged Damage

Quelystria Wintershore, High Elf Mounted Archer | 4/4 Health | 5/5 Armour| Cyan Dot
3+4 Melee Damage (Lance), 1+4 Melee Damage (Sword), 3+8 Ranged Damage,

Enemies on the Board

Orc Footman -
6/6 Armour 7/7 Health
5 Melee Damage (Shield and Flail)

Orc Footman -
6/6 Armour 7/7 Health
5 Melee Damage (Shield and Flail)

Effects in Play

Poison gas in Undercroft - 1 Damage every second, bypassing armour.
Name: Crowton Blakemore
Class: Rogue
Weapon(s): Thief’s Daggers (3 Damage)
Armour: Rebel’s Rags (2 Armor)

Strength: 3/10 - Strength is a measure of melee damage to enemies.
Endurance: 5/10 - Endurance is a measure of health.
Perception: 8/10 - Perception is a measure of intuition and ranged damage.
Agility: 8/10 - A measure of the ability to sneak, climb or move quickly.
Charisma: 9/10 - A measure of social guile. Use this to persaude NPCs.
Luck: 2/10 - May result in good fortune if above 5, and misfortune below 5.

Special Ability: Old Wives’ Tales
When you are around, things happen, no matter how bizarre, unrealistic and stupid they may sound.
Inspired by Wild, Wild Wasteland trait

Backstory: A son of the Blakemore family of traders in the outskirts of Gilneas, the young man seemed to have had a bright future ahead... That is, until his family found itself struggling to get by, following the fall of Lordaeron. The man seeks vengeance for his dead father and starving mother and will not stop until Blackmoore draws his last breath.

P.s. Just some exploration of my character’s “what if” here, hyped to join this game.

Character
Name: Copper.

Race: Human
Sex: Female
Class: Rogue

Weapon(s): Shortsword 1+4 damage. Crossbow. 2+6 damage.

Armour: Reinforced jacket worth 1 extra health point bringing her total to 5.

Stats:

Strength: 4/10 - Strength is a measure of melee damage to enemies.

Perception: 6/10 - Perception is a measure of intuition and ranged damage.

Endurance: 4/10 - Endurance is a measure of health.

Charisma: 6/10 - A measure of social guile. Use this to persaude NPCs.

Intelligence: 4/10 - A measure of magical damage, and general knowledge.

Agility: 8/10 - A measure of the ability to sneak, climb or move quickly.

Luck: 8/10 - May result in good fortune if above 5, and misfortune below 5.

Special Ability: Hook-fingered Fiend. Valuable and important things seem to "magically" find their way into her pockets.

Backstory:

Amelia Cooper, nicknamed Copper on account of her short bob of red hair and tendency to "aquire" coins is a menace, nuisance and a former Eastweald bandit.

Copper was in the Marshal's custody for a lengthy list of petty and not so petty crimes, expecting a harsh sentence. With the pretender king's new army on the march, she has been conscripted into the defence of her homeland. Still regarded a prisoner, she is expected to earn her pardon.
Did you say ogres? I hope you said ogres. If I can't play ogres in game...

Name: One-Head Odmugg
Race: OGRE
Sex: BULL
Class: FIGHTS FOR GOLD AND BOUNTY
Weapon(s): A huge zweihander or similar weapon (3 damage)
Armour: Stolen Helmet and Ogre Loincloth (1 armour)

Endurance: 10/10 - Endurance is a measure of health.
Luck: 9/10 - May result in good fortune if above 5, and misfortune below 5.
Strength: 9/10 - Strength is a measure of melee damage to enemies.
Perception: 4/10 - Perception is a measure of intuition and ranged damage.
Intelligence: 4/10 - A measure of magical damage, and general knowledge.
Charisma: 2/10 - A measure of social guile. Use this to persaude NPCs.
Agility: 2/10 - A measure of the ability to sneak, climb or move quickly.

Special Ability: Cheat Death
Stupidly lucky for an ogre, One-Head Odmugg has avoided certain death more than once. Fortunately for him, he doesn't understand this himself. Either his will to live is superior to death's grasp or fate favours him. This may occur once in a while, me and Odmugg will leave it in fate's (read: GM's) hands.

Backstory:
An ogre chieftain's younger brother's third son, or some such. Bones had been cast before his birth and omens were spoken: this ogre child will grow to become a rare mage, a two-headed champion fit to lead with power and might. Well, turns out the ogre baby was born with one head to everyone's disappointment. Fortunately, One-Head Odmugg proved to be a thick-headed warrior, at the very least. With no fate or future planned for him, he ended up taking a role of a wanderer, serving as a bodyguard to thug-lords and whatnot, before going solo.
Name: Ren’zul
Race: Forest Troll (Mossflayer Tribe)
Class: Headhunter
Weapon(s): 4x Throwing Javelin (2+5 melee – 4+8 ranged)
Armour: Leather harness (3 Armour)

Strength: 5/10
Perception: 8/10
Endurance: 5/10
Charisma: 4/10
Intelligence: 5/10
Agility: 7/10
Luck: 6/10

Special Ability: - Eight-legged friends on the other side: Ren'zul can sometimes call upon a spider spirit to briefly entangle his quarry in a spectral web.

Backstory: A forest troll of the Mossflayer tribe, Ren'zul is a talented headhunter who has spent most of his life helping his tribe eke out an existence in the wilderness of Lordaeron. A patient hunter, he is a considerably calmer and more calculated individual than most forest trolls, and is known among his tribe as being especially reverent of Shadra, the spider loa.

A chance to skewer some of the incompetent orcs that failed us, and earning some money while we're at it? The Venom Queen will fatten her young on their spirits.

A forest troll mercenary joins the game!
https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/369266366248910848/497784539423178752/Vandermar.png

I've spent all afternoon drawing this map. It's a bit rough, but hopefully readable. I think we'll start around 20.00 realm time. If you're still interested in joining in, feel free!

You're also welcome to jump in at any point in the adventure.

Where on the map would people like to start?
As tempting as the Amani Ruins seem, Ren'zul will be starting in the mercenary camp on the Wheat Fields.
The camp does seem most appropriate.
Class: (Harvest) Witch
Weapon(s): Ancient Staff
Armour: Crude Animal Furs (+2 Armour)

Strength: 2/10 - Strength is a measure of melee damage to enemies.
Endurance: 3/10 - Endurance is a measure of health.
Perception: 4/10 - Perception is a measure of intuition and ranged damage.
Intelligence: 10/10 - A measure of magical damage, and general knowledge.
Agility: 1/10 - A measure of the ability to sneak, climb or move quickly.
Charisma: 4/10 - A measure of social guile. Use this to persaude NPCs.
Luck: 6/10 - May result in good fortune if above 5, and misfortune below 5.

Special Abilities:

Transfer Life Force: A spell which allows Harold to tap into the life force of nearby living beings and transfer it to another entity, effectively healing himself or an ally whilst injuring an enemy.

Curse of Weakness: An enchantment where the target finds trivial physical tasks unusually strenuous, their physical strength and agility is reduced but their constitution remains untouched.

Backstory: Harold Wellington is the current wielder of a family heirloom passed down many generations of witches. Born and raised in what is now known as Gilneas, he seeks adventure and knowledge to further the craft his bloodline dedicated themselves to. The coin and treasure will certainly help too.

What if this was a younger Harold Wellington from an alternate universe?

The stats I have given him are ten below the maximum, so I took some liberties with the special abilities. If they're a bit much I'm happy to tune them down.
The Mercenary Camp it is! I'll try update the map to show where the party is. What colour dot would you like for your character?

I took some liberties with the special abilities. If they're a bit much I'm happy to tune them down.

Oh, not at all! I actually appreciate the effort of thinking them all up. Hopefully they'll be fun to play with!
I’d like to be B - brown (for Blakemore), I suppose.
Also... probably looking really paranoid around the camp, watching out for any suspicious characters... and guards included, for that matter.
Name: Crocell
Race: High Elf
Sex: Female
Class: Ranger
Weapon(s): Dual Long Swords (2-3 damage), Long Bow (3-6 damage)
Armour: Ranger leathers (+2 armour)

Strength: 6/10
Endurance: 5/10
Perception: 7/10
Intelligence: 5/10
Agility: 6/10
Charisma: 6/10
Luck: 5/10

Special Ability: Tame the beast - can temporarily tame a nearby beast to help in a fight.

Backstory: High Elf born in Quel'thalas, she has been trained in how to use a bow since she was little by her father. She joined the ranks of the rangers as soon as she was able

I'll have her start at the mercenary camp on the Wheat Fields.
I love this so much! Thank you for starting it.

May I?

Name: Thalanaar Elrendar
Race: High Elf
Class: Ranger
Weapon(s): Farstrider's Bow & Quiver - 40 arrows (3 damage), Thalassian Daggers x2 (2 damage)
Armour: Light (1 armour)

Strength: 5/10
Perception: 9/10
Endurance: 6/10
Charisma: 4/10
Intelligence: 6/10
Agility: 7/10
Luck: 3/10

Special Abilities:

Tracer Shot: For a single turn, allies close by to Thalanaar receive a bonus to Perception equal to half of his own (rounded down) on ranged attacks made following his own.

Ranger's Versatility: Thalanaar can swap his Perception and Strength scores to suit melee or ranged combat for the turn following its use.

Thalanaar is a ranger of infamous bad luck. Amongst his family, he is considered unfortunate to be the youngest of five brothers. Amongst his peers, he was considered unfortunate to be stationed in such close proximity to the humans of Lordaeron. Whether or not he was lucky or unlucky to be the lone survivor of his group following an ambush by Blackmoore's rampaging troops remains to be seen.

I hope these abilities and numbers are alright!

Blue would suit a High Elf for a colour, I think, or green if that is unavailable.

I'll join everyone else at the camp!

ETA: Sneaking in as elf number 2!
Alright. Let's set out the scene. Respond with what your character says, and how they act. This'll be a good turn to introduce them. They're hanging out a

Map:

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/497836202620092418/497851206534823946/Vandermar_-_Turn_One.png

Building Reference:
https://wow.gamepedia.com/Mercenary_Camp#/media/File:Mercenary_Camp.jpg

- Turn One -

The morning light shone down through the tall pine trees upon the busy war camp. Stretching out beneath the shadow of a great castle, the defenders of Vandermar prepared for war.

The scent of smoke, and the gruff monsters and warriors that dwelled there filled the air. The sound of hammering metal from the forges and training soldiers echoed out over the sea of tents, as did the noise of the nearby lumberyard.

The Kingdom of Lordaeron was barely recovering from the Orcs' rampage when they returned. This time, led not by one of their own kind, but by a Human lord. Not even the wizards of Dalaran or the hearty warriors of Stromgarde were enough to stop them. Weeks ago, the Capital City itself fell to their armies, and King Terenas II was slain. Arthas, the heir to the throne, was evacuated safely, but Uther the Lightbringer perished in the desperate escape.

The remnants of Lordaeron's armies have mustered here at Vandermar, upon the borderlands of Tirisfal and the Eastweald, to prepare an army capable of reclaiming the lost throne. However, the reinforcements from Stratholme and Quel'thalas have not yet arrived.

Two figures rode down the highway that bisected the encampment.
"Where is General Lothar? We should have had orders from him days ago!" said the first figure, an armoured footman. The second, atop horseback, was a human knight. He was beared with short, wiry black hair and dark eyes and skin, and clad in ornate, but beaten plate-mail. His Lordaeron tabard was stained with blood, both human and orc. "He set out with his knights westwards, there have been reports of Blackmoore's scouts in the forests."

The footman glowered over at the messy camp. Here, the outcast and downtrodden of Lordaeron had gathered. The Second War, and this Civil War had deprived Lordaeron of much of her legions, and with little time to spare, these former criminals and 'mongrel races' were offered clemency and the promise of land in return for helping fight Blackmoore. It was hoped by the commanders that most would die in battle before seeing either of them.

"Monsters and bandits! What has that bastard reduced us to?!" the footman shouted in despair, as a gnoll growled at him. The knight glared down at him, speaking authoritatively. "You will fight alongside them as soon as you would any man or woman of the Alliance. I don't like it any more than you do, but Blackmoore's strength is in numbers, not expertise...they are good fighters." "Forest Trolls, even Ogres! They're the same wretches who burned our towns!" "Enough." the knight snapped, ending the discussion.

Eventually, they stopped before a large wooden hut. The rotting head of a fallen Blackmoore knight hung over the door, perhaps as a warning. "They'll be in here." he says, as he dismounts off his steed. "Look after my horse." he says authoritatively, to the footman before striding through a large hide-flap door.

Inside was a long table covered with spilled ale flagons and plates of roasted animal flesh. Barrels of mead, and gruesome weapon racks lined the walls. This was a mercenary hangout, and the perfect place for the Knight-Captain to find worthy fighters.
Ren'zul eyes the new arrival warily, yet remains more attentive to his fellow mercenaries, silently observing them as is custom to a patient hunter - even if he flashes a keen smile to whoever looks his way.
The Knight looks over the silent hall somewhat awkwardly, glancing around, he decides to walk towards the first person he sees.

He walks over towards the Forest Troll. Ren'zhul's apt perception allows him to notice he is carrying a piece of parchment in his hand, and that the Human seems to be trying to control his emotions. It is obvious he is not too fond of Forest Trolls.

"Are you the one in charge of these...fighters?" he asks with a slight awkward lump in his throat. His hand rests upon his sword pommel, as if to allow him to draw it at any given moment.
Copper lays on a rough hewn bench near the entrance of the hut, groaning with displeasure at the sunlight seeping in as the knight enters. The dwarven flagon at her side falls with a loud clatter as she raises an arm to shield herself from the offending rays, joining the handful of ale bottles under the bench.

Judging by the woman's lethargy and reddened wrists, still raw from her shackles, she spent last night celebrating what passes for her newfound freedom. Muttering an inaudible oath as strong as her breath, she sits up and runs a hand through her red hair with a meaningful glance to her weapons.
The Knight turns around and faces the woman, he seems more confident talking to another of his kind. "Are you the boss of these mercs?" he asks sternly. After a few moments, his expression hardens as he recognises her.

"Oh, I've heard of you... 'Copper'. The thief of Corin's Crossing. You've stolen everything from your victims...their hard earned gold, their precious jewelry, their feelings of safety..." he glowers somewhat, before saying; "...I wonder if you'll have the guts to look somebody in the eyes, and steal their life, because that's what your king demands of you. "
"Ya said there'd be gold, mon!" - Ren'zul exclaims, eager to earn his keep, and for the arrival to proceed.

Meanwhile, he's brandishing a javelin, as if to prove he's not to be made slight of.