Upcoming Azerite Armor Improvements

Battle for Azeroth Class Development
1 2 3 8 Next
Thanks for all of the continued feedback and discussion around the Azerite Armor system. We’ve been following the community discussions closely, and the systems team has been focusing on making some improvements as their top priority. I’ve got some updates to share on our current thoughts, as well as some upcoming changes.

To start, here’s some of the bigger issues we’ve been seeing brought up:
  • Overall Availability: While there’s plenty of Azerite Armor in the 295-340 item level range, further sources are heavily limited and susceptible to bad luck. Even players who are doing a wide range of high-end content are still wearing at least one Item Level 340 piece, despite having replaced all their other gear several times over. Everything else about the system is basically irrelevant if you can’t get your hands on the gear in the first place.
  • Lack of Agency: When items do drop, it can feel like you’re not really given much in the way of options. You can choose whether you want this to be a Fire or a Frost piece, or a versatile one with a generic trait, but that isn’t necessarily an interesting choice. And when you look at the complete package, those choices don’t often feel like they’re having a meaningful impact on how you play your character.
  • Trait Depth: Several of the traits that are considered the “best” mathematically turn out to be some of the simplest mechanically, which reinforces the sense that the system isn’t really affecting gameplay.

We agree that those issues need to be resolved. So, here’s a few changes we’re working on:
  • We need to make Azerite Armor more available, for all types of players, through a method everyone can utilize. So we’re actually looking at Emissary rewards for that. The plan is to make Azerite Armor rewards from Emissary quests scale all the way up to 370 (based on your item level), which gives everyone a new, reliable source for appropriate gear. Further on, we’re looking at making some further improvements to the ways Emissaries reward gear, but getting more Azerite Armor in your hands is the higher priority for the immediate future.
  • When we add new Azerite Armor in what we’re calling “BfA Season 2” (starting with Siege of Zuldazar and its corresponding Mythic+ and PvP seasons), we’re going to add another outer ring to those pieces of gear that has two spec-specific trait options for each spec. This effectively means that your favorite traits will be available on a lot more items, while also opening up a lot more options across the scope of all of your Azerite pieces (and thus, we hope, create more interesting decisions).
  • We’re also going to continue to work on the individual traits themselves. We’ve done some basic tuning so far, but we’re taking the lessons we’ve learned from these first iterations forward, and Tides of Vengeance will bring new traits into the pool that reflect that. Our goal is to make the more generic traits be decent middle-of-the-road options for when you want to use a single piece for multiple situations or specs, but make sure the spec-specific options (which are generally the more interesting traits) win out in their respective environments.

Some of those changes won’t be coming until Tides of Vengeance (and you’ll see them on the PTR soon), but the overall availability of Azerite Armor is a much more pressing concern, so we’re investigating ways of hotfixing that directly into the live game. I don’t have a solid timeline on when that might be yet, but we’ll definitely have more information to share as soon as we can confirm when that can happen.
Yeah makes sense, sounds good
Just make them farmable from mythic plus lol
What's the reason behind not having M+ a source of high ilvl Azerite outside of the weekly cache?
Why you are not adding them to m+ end of chest seriously ???

This is biggest fail
Literally just let them drop in M+

Stop making the main focus of your expansion RANDOM.

We don't want this to be a Skinner Box
If you let them drop from M+, it solves the problem
It's a start, but I don't know why you're being so annoyingly stubborn about making it drop from M+
That's the single biggest request we have from you, it's what we're all asking, it would solve so many issues. Stop dragging your heels and, for ONCE, just this once, please actually listen to our feedback and make Azerite gear drop from M+.
Emmisary rewards are not reliable... Just make 370 drop from m+10. People are not interested in having more chances at a random item, we want to be able to target items that are good for us the same way you can target a specific trinket or weapon.
Even though its probably not what a lot of people wanted, making Azerite (even slightly) more obtainable will help with some of the frustrations.
Really like to finally get some insights on what your plans are.
And tbh I really like where youre goin with it.
Some irritating points for me are:
Why don't let it drop in higher m+? If you don't want it as farmable just make a cap at maybe 10 Azerite pieces a week from M+ or something like that.
I think you should be able to get your gear from a reliable source while doing harder group content.

Second thing that still bothers me:
I don't think you should keep so many different traits in the outer ring. Most of them are very similar, cut them down take some of them out and you can also balance them easier.

Besides those two points i think we finally start going into the right direction.
Probably because they don't want to tell people :
"you want to upgrade your 340 azerite armor ? Just do m+ then." since m+ is one of those thing that you either hate or love.
A player should not feel obligated to do one specific type of content to obtain azerite amor which is this extension "itemization big feature".
(think of legendaries, you could earn them by doing almost anything in the game, and they were even more powerful than azerite armor in my opinion)

At the time, you can be max ilvl doing only raids (or doing only m+). (if you are lucky on azerite armor that is to say, and you don't mind not having your bis traits)
Emissary on the other end, might be boring in your opinion, but I think we can all agree that they are quite fast and easy to do.

I think those changes are taking the system in the right path, (even if I would personnally love the idea of changing one item's traits once you have unlocked them by looting other azerite pieces)

Good job !
(we are quick to hate, let's be even quicker to love and thank when earned)
04/10/2018 00:18Posted by Sladewy

A player should not feel obligated to do one specific type of content to obtain azerite amor which is this extension "itemization big feature".

[/quote]

We're already obligated to do one specific type of content to obtain Azerite gear, it's called raiding.
Making it drop from M+ would give us more options, which is always a good thing, especially if you now claim to care about player agency.

We're already obligated to do one specific type of content to obtain Azerite gear, it's called raiding.
Making it drop from M+ would give us more options, which is always a good thing, especially if you now claim to care about player agency.

I disagree, you can earn them with weekly cache. It's very bad luck related but it's there.
With what this post is about, m+ and emissary seems to be a quite efficient way of getting azerite armor if you are not into raiding.
I'm not taking pvp into account
It's just silly that you put better and more azerite options into a random emissary reward which itself again is randomized into either a chest, shoulder or head piece. Though, that's how it works now, and from what I'm reading you might be changing that too. Whatever you decide to do; The fact that we can't reliably farm azerite gear from m+, it baffles me.

"Let's just give people these strong items by having them save some turtle babies or do some azerite mining."
"Why can't we have azerite gear drop from m+ which actually requires you to play well and cooperate with others?"
"Nah, that sounds like a bad idea."

It also saddens me to see that you haven't "discovered" these issues until now (even though I know people have reported this during beta), and that some needed changes may take a few months to get live. Class design in BfA desperately needed more time before it went live, but instead we ended up beta testing it on live servers instead.
I understand why it doesn't drop from Mythic+, it's too repeatable and therefor too easy to get them. It wasn't that easy to get your tier bonus or legendaries either. With emissaries they can still control the amount of azerite gear people can get. I'm not happy with it (and I got extremely lucky with high ilvl azerite gear drops, so I actually have full heroic ilvl azerite gear), but I can understand why they made this decision. I would be happier with guaranteed Azerite from M+ chest added to the emissaries, but hey, this is better than nothing.

Something I do worry about is the itemlevel. 370 sounds good now, being heroic raid ilvl. But I wonder if it will then remain 370 for the rest of the expansion, or will it get raised when the next raid tier hits, to whatever will be the heroic ilvl then? Or will there be another reliable source of current raid tier ilvl azerite gear then?
tbh each azerite armor piece needs to have a path of exile like talent tree
04/10/2018 00:34Posted by Hambow
tbh each azerite armor piece needs to have a path of exile like talent tree

sounds fair
To bad We won't get to use the new traits because you made it so they ain't available until after the content is cleared and you picked up new gear