I think this will be the last expansion

General
Everyone and their mother is rather vocal about how they hate BfA. But what they're really hating in their posts is the bread and butter MMO content, which is repeating quests at max and mechanical gauntlets (raids/M+) and not BfA itself.

For all the great stuff we have gotten lately just doesn't seem to interest people. They want this game to be something else than what it can be. I don't believe they will turn around the whole concept of "level - gear up - get achievements - make an alt" as a desperate measure. WoW as something else than a fancy hamsterwheel just wouldn't hold a cangle to other games (like esport titles). They tried to move towards that direction in Legion and now they're trying to move back to their roots. Feels like a twitching corpse in its deaththroes just doing anything to survive.

Tell me I'm wrong and that people haven't just finally given up on MMO's. I mean, it will happen one day, one day they will announce every future content as cancelled. This expansion, while beautiful and full of new things, feels like the last. Not because they're out of ideas.

but because we, as a community, are already mentally moving on. No king rules forever.
The expansion is not bad when it comes to Art design, raid boss encounters and dungeons.
But the out of tuch systems are killing any joy a player can have outside raiding.
There are plenty of missed opportunites with the Warfronts. Go balls to the wall moba with that, and enjoy a game within a game.
I would say next expansion is gonna be last, because most likely they already started working on the next expansion.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_of_Warcraft:_Battle_for_Azeroth#Sales

"The expansion sold more than 3.4 million units on its first day of release according to Blizzard, making it the fastest-selling World of Warcraft expansion.[25]"

TLDR: No it won't be.
01/10/2018 10:48Posted by Rezista
Go balls to the wall moba with that, and enjoy a game within a game.

You'd have to sacrifice class identity (spells mainly) for that to work or the class inbalance would just transfer into it. You're asking WoW to be something it can never be without sacrificing what makes it WoW in the first place. With all respect, you prove my point rather vividly.
Nah, wow is just pretty bad atm.
MMO as a "genre" isn't a flavor of the month anymore that's about it.
01/10/2018 10:51Posted by Thedice
You'd have to sacrifice class identity (spells mainly) for that to work or the class inbalance would just transfer into it. You're asking WoW to be something it can never be without sacrificing what makes it WoW in the first place. With all respect, you prove my point rather vividly.

This is total BS, we already have ranked BGs. And it is relatively balanced (or not), losing class identity? What? Ofcourse it can be done, just make the Warfront instead of 20 players vs PVE - 20v20 pvp, both sides building their base and sending armies, while fighting alongside them.
Please stop thinking, you're obviously bad at it.
01/10/2018 10:50Posted by Subbie
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_of_Warcraft:_Battle_for_Azeroth#Sales

"The expansion sold more than 3.4 million units on its first day of release according to Blizzard, making it the fastest-selling World of Warcraft expansion.[25]"

TLDR: No it won't be.

I hope you're right. This is the rope I cling on to too. I'm not ready to move on, I love MMO and all what it stands for. But I don't recall people criticizing core gameplay this harshly. The community (US/EU forums, external forums, streamers) is sending signals that it doesn't want a MMO anymore. It's the second wave of decline waiting to happen.
01/10/2018 10:55Posted by Henoriel
Please stop thinking, you're obviously bad at it.

The only way to get better at something is doing it.
Yeah the game is “dead” since how many expansions now? LoL

WoW will live forever
01/10/2018 10:58Posted by Atsui

WoW will live forever

I hope not. I like wow but I think they should really stop milking it at some point
01/10/2018 10:51Posted by Thedice
01/10/2018 10:48Posted by Rezista
Go balls to the wall moba with that, and enjoy a game within a game.

Heroes in Dota 2 have more class identity than some classes in wow.
disagree with op tbh. The expansion isn't bad but there are indeed some glaring issues that were reported in beta en masse and weren't dealt with .. and that's the major issue I have with bfa. warfronts don't interest me, pvp doesn't interest me, I was absolutely disgusted with the world pvp mode thing giving an xp bonus, tab targeting is still targeting yellow mobs rather than cycling through your already tagged mobs, no adrenalin rush when you got to 120 or even new abilities, talent trees not changed, mob scaling is way too high when you get to 120, wq still a dominant feature, still have pets to send out on missions that are pretty much worthless, its a little bit too pc and yay for young people struggling with emotions blah blah, class balance is very poor and definitely horde and melee one-sided, professions again worthless (oh gods how I hate the 3 tier recipe thing), nearly everything hidden behind rep, azurite abilities that don't tell you even vaguely how often they will proc so no one knows which is good and which sounds good but isn't, very obviously blizzard not dealing with hackers/cheaters hard enough, we really could do with a harsh level squish .... and plenty more im sure.

Theres some highs for me, alt levelling is easy, graphics look better, so many quest hubs that you can easily avoid some and still level smoothly, I like the 5mans and really like that the horde and alliance have different ones and totally separated quest lines (that intermingle a bit), I quite like the arathi thing (and more to come, apparently).

All in all, 8.1 will bring a fair bit of new stuff ... the problem with bfa is that blizzard didn't take stock of all the negative reports from beta and the initial expansion was quite lacklustre, unlike previous expansions. I have no doubt that bfa will be fine, but the large initial problems of bfa have upset and annoyed a lot of loyal players.
As a side note, I still don't know who the bad guys are in bfa (is it the horde, the alliance, the new trolls, the old gods, who???) ... and that, to me, tells me a lot about the story of bfa. Muddled and confusing and really not up to scratch.
01/10/2018 10:58Posted by Atsui
Yeah the game is “dead” since how many expansions now? LoL

WoW will live forever

No, the game is alive and well. The community however is not. That's the point. BfA has everything that has made WoW good previously but the community is not happy with it. The dissent is real.

01/10/2018 10:59Posted by Sárádá
Heroes in Dota 2 have more class identity than some classes in wow.

Heroes in Dota 2 also have 4 skills which usually are a dps, utility, passive, ulti. Imagine if they pruned classes more in WoW to achieve this balance in Warfronts and what have you.
i dont know... i was thinkin about the end of wow yesterday while i was paiting our new apartment... What if next exp will be the last? (this one i dont think)
It's a possibility. Despite the high selling rate of BFA the playerbase seems changing taste. maybe the MMORPG isnt enough to sate us (i put myself in).

Last exp no. But the end is near.
01/10/2018 11:04Posted by Tèsla
i dont know... i was thinkin about the end of wow yesterday

Exactly! Blizz has all the systems to keep milking this title to the infinity. But we all know it doesn't take server shutdown for the game to decline into abyss.

It's not that some find MMO gameplay boring. People are taking an aggressive stance and contesting the very existence said gameplay. Most vocal people here on the forums obviously care a great deal. It's just that they have moved on and they want the game to move on with them.
I don't think that is the key issue with BfA. Dailies have been part of the game for a long time. Those that don't like doing WQs can just ignore them or just do four for their emissary.

Some people dislike the scaling both levelling and at end game so it takes away the feeling of becoming more powerful.

Some dislike the azerite system for various reasons from lack of tier, the traits, the lack of secondary stats, the need for multiple sets to play different specs, the cost of reforging for different content, the inability to farm the pieces etc. Some dislike the forced Personal Loot system, particularly when it's been a struggle for some to get weapons, can't trade items if it's a higher ilvl but not an upgrade for the player etc.

GCD changes are another one that comes up regularly, how classes feel slow to play and haste is a must for so many (not all). That a 110 character plays more fluidly than a 120.

Professions have been devalued and no longer do much for your character. The scrapper has devalued a lot of materials as anyone can break down their own goods.

I can't think of any others off the top of my head but there are more. They regularly appear on the forums. I don't think this will be the last expansion though.
How many ways can people phrase "WoW is dying?"

How many posts can people make about it?

The list is endless.

There must always be a WoW, otherwise there would be an end to "WoW is dying" posts, and we all know they are infinite.[*]

[*] The Cardinality of that infinity is a hot topic in modern mathematical set theory.
01/10/2018 10:42Posted by Thedice
Everyone and their mother is rather vocal about how they hate BfA. But what they're really hating in their posts is the bread and butter MMO content, which is repeating quests at max and mechanical gauntlets (raids/M+) and not BfA itself.

For all the great stuff we have gotten lately just doesn't seem to interest people. They want this game to be something else than what it can be. I don't believe they will turn around the whole concept of "level - gear up - get achievements - make an alt" as a desperate measure. WoW as something else than a fancy hamsterwheel just wouldn't hold a cangle to other games (like esport titles). They tried to move towards that direction in Legion and now they're trying to move back to their roots. Feels like a twitching corpse in its deaththroes just doing anything to survive.

Tell me I'm wrong and that people haven't just finally given up on MMO's. I mean, it will happen one day, one day they will announce every future content as cancelled. This expansion, while beautiful and full of new things, feels like the last. Not because they're out of ideas.

but because we, as a community, are already mentally moving on. No king rules forever.
we are vocal, angry, dissapointed, but we still paid and majority will buy next expansion for same reason we bought legion coming from wod ... there is just too many ppl who invested too much time in this game to stop playing.