Why would they take you? (shadow)

Priest
So simple question... Why and in which situation would some m+ group take you as shadow priest instead of mage, warlock or boomkin?
When your running with friends I guess... Well if i even whould bother my friends to go as a dps that is. /lol
Most of the time I run my own key or guild run. Otherwise it is almost impossible to get accepted but a group above +8!
Well according to warcraftlogs we are #1 on normal mode G'huun, so there's that! But yeah aside from that if you're planning on optimizing your group there's no real reason to bring an spriest over a stronger class, but if you're just going for a "regular" group then because we do pretty good cleave on big adds that live long.

So uh...bring us if you aren't too focused on rankings and it's fortified week
when you specced disc ......~~~~~~~
17/10/2018 21:07Posted by Kensei
when you specced disc ......~~~~~~~

This is probably the best answer!
17/10/2018 14:56Posted by Tatsumi
Well according to warcraftlogs we are #1 on normal mode G'huun, so there's that! But yeah aside from that if you're planning on optimizing your group there's no real reason to bring an spriest over a stronger class, but if you're just going for a "regular" group then because we do pretty good cleave on big adds that live long.

So uh...bring us if you aren't too focused on rankings and it's fortified week

Yes we are #1 on ghuun which woulf be nice if it wasnt just scumbaging damage on adds in first beam and petting metters on boss during furst lazer where hes still inside of ,,wall".
Its all based on absolutely irrelevant damage that can be skipped just by healing in extreme.

But ye i see the sarcastic tone of your point so i guess u werent serious.
Vampiric embrace, short cd defensive, passive leech
Because people need to see themselves having bigger numbers than someone else to sate their huge egos.
Makes them feel good about their otherwise sad lives that there is someone easily outperformed.
Misook, short answer was given only with friends and not much keys.

Other than that, disc still have stronger AoE, than shadow. No matter that mind sear was back. And also we can have some dps, if don't move and NPC can live a bit longer ~30secs. Our movement is slowest in game. We are currently in bad state, more bad for PvE, than previous expansion.

In PvP 1:1 we are even in a lot worse place, than before, but here is about PvE :) We have arsenal, that give us to support others, but arsenal is bad design to use it in 1:1 situations.
22/10/2018 23:01Posted by Hauhet
Misook, short answer was given only with friends and not much keys.

Other than that, disc still have stronger AoE, than shadow. No matter that mind sear was back. And also we can have some dps, if don't move and NPC can live a bit longer ~30secs. Our movement is slowest in game. We are currently in bad state, more bad for PvE, than previous expansion.

In PvP 1:1 we are even in a lot worse place, than before, but here is about PvE :) We have arsenal, that give us to support others, but arsenal is bad design to use it in 1:1 situations.

If you believe that Disc has a better AOE than Shadow does, then you have absolutely no idea what you're talking about.
17/10/2018 14:31Posted by Nadbiskup
So simple question... Why and in which situation would some m+ group take you as shadow priest instead of mage, warlock or boomkin?

stamina buff, CC undead , mass dispel ,purge , aoe burst you name it !
ofc we are tier bottom dps at the moment but you will see in 8.1
I usually just go through M+ with my guildmates. But it is fun to join a random grp and show them that a SP ain't that bad as the majority of the community thinks. Heck iam often #1 DD at the End of the instance.
People need to realize that the gap ain't that big as everyone thinks. The mindset right now is that a SP will be 30-40% behind the next DD. That is just not the case.
For M+...well there's no reason.

09/11/2018 09:43Posted by Óny
I usually just go through M+ with my guildmates. But it is fun to join a random grp and show them that a SP ain't that bad as the majority of the community thinks. Heck iam often #1 DD at the End of the instance.
People need to realize that the gap ain't that big as everyone thinks. The mindset right now is that a SP will be 30-40% behind the next DD. That is just not the case.

It's not about the damage. Sure, some people like to turn everything into a skada report, but it's more how that damage is pretty much the only thing the priest will be bringing along.
Yeah indeed our tools are limited but not that bad.
We have Stamina, we can shackle, we can dispell, we can fear for a short CC like Ghuun spawns, we can grab someone, we can mindcontrol (kinda usefull on bolstering weeks when the high HP Target is surrounded by low hp trash), we can offheal a little bit (yeah it is not that much tbh).

All in all i just wanted to clarify that the SP is in a way better spot than the majority of the community think. So many people write that they get declined in random grp's for just beeing a shadow. Because people "heard" that shadow is bad.
I've been doing a fair few keys now, since finally gearing this character up over the last 2 weeks. (The chest still sucks I know, and I am trying).

What I've found is that, at the end of the dungeon, the scoreboard damage is fine. You're reasonably competitive on overall damage when a key is done in the standard steady pathing.

Where things start to go wrong for us is when you need to kill large numbers of mobs quickly. Shadow has its 2 eruptions, which are 'slightly' more burst than another classes burst cds for those 2 seconds, but after that we're sort of done, and other specs continue to push past us, and ultimately it's the difference between being able to cleanly deal with the entirity of the trash on the beach at Tol Dagor, and losing a minute or so to excessive kiting / deaths. It's not a problem in 10s really, but nearing 15s and definitely on fortified the lack of damage in the first 10-15 seconds compared to say a DH or a Mage is staggering apparent. We're also terrible at killing Ghuunies.

Boss damage: I'm still a tad undergeared, but needing to take shadow crash and dark void does put you a fair bit behind where you would be. Also running death throes for the trash means you don't have you strongest boss damage azerite trait, Chorus of Insanity.

Utility: As Ony has said, we have a stamina buff, shackle undead, an ST stun, and an aoe fear. The stamina buff can be replaced by a slightly worse 7% scroll, the shackle isn't useful in many dungeons, the ST stun is ok but usually just DRs from the other classes aoe ones, and the aoe fear, while good as a quick disrupt, is also on a hefty cooldown and requires melee range.

Mass dispel has some sparse use also throughout dungeons, but being horde really negates that anywhere except underrot.

These are all ok "little things", but when it came to things people care about in dunegons, the utility that's actually not just a bonus but actively sought after and in some cases "required" by groups. We lack a...

Hard CC for infested mobs.
Short cd interrupt for dangerous mobs / boss casts (Shrine of Storms)
Aoe stun for Ghuunies / Mass pulling.
Mass Stealth for skips.
Bloodlust.
Battle Rez.
Grip / Grouping mechanic.
On demand damage for Ghuunies.
Aoe slow / kiting tool, eg Ring of Peace.
Damage buff, either physical or magical.
Unique utility, EG Gateway, Healthstones, Lockpicking, Treants.

Those are the things people are actually looking for when they do keys, and outside of arguably using scream to interrupt Ghuunies, we bring none of it.

Shadow's damage for standard keys is fine, and people do downplay it, but it also has significant drawbacks that other specs just seem to not have to deal with. And utility, though for 10s etc, isn't necessary, is still something people actively look for to help make keys easier and is almost necessary for those wanting to push 15+.

For those that haven't found him yet. Matthxw, Shadow Priest of Honestly-OCE, has a Youtube channel in which he showcases shadow's performance in 'high' M+ keys (15-16s). (https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCdymRdhf9-vHyRHMCgpA8Dg/videos).