Blizzard: “More mobile titles planned for all our IPs”

General
Prev 1 13 14 15 16 Next
Its explains a lot.
Poor quality content, no proper psychology behind it, reskins everywhere, soulless game, as just students by books instructions creating product.
For a AAA + game I expected more.
Blizzard has gone completely mad! Action games/ Rpgs / RTS / are bad mobile games! It just does not work no matter how you sugarcoat it!

Hearthstone is perfect for mobile gaming, i think they should capitalize on that. Why these decisions are being made is beyond me. Blizzard does not need this at all. The company name and reputation are so big, i bet they could sell fan favorite games for 100 bucks a piece and people will still buy it.

Just take a look at how Warcraft 3 remastered will do, it will sell like hotcakes! Why are they being so stubborn? Release D2 remastered, add some cool miniatures and artwork, focus on server security and botting, and BOOM, instant hit. People would not even care if they raised the price on that, hell i would buy that instantly even if they asked 150 bucks for that product.

Nostalgia is a powerful thing, i would capitalize the hell out of it if i had a company like that, just saying.
blizz is not mad. look at the graphs on this link

https://www.wowhead.com/news=288504/more-mobile-titles-in-development-at-blizzard-entertainment

they are just looking for new customers. Lowering the quality cap. From their POV isnt a Bad move.

"How can you even consider that? There's got to be some other way"! Uther Lightbringer about the Blizzard new mobile games policy.
09/11/2018 09:01Posted by Tèsla
they are just looking for new customers. Lowering the quality cap. From their POV isnt a Bad move.

It's a VERY bad move, considering their stock holders aren't too happy about it if the almost unprecedented drop in their numbers is anything to go by. And I completely understand why people lose faith in Blizzard/Activision. They're actually admitting that they're focusing more on mobile games instead of their core business, which is, to this date, still PC and, to a lesser extent, console games (ports).

People keep claiming there's soooo much money to be made in mobile games, but I've yet to see any comparisons/figures that prove that. Sure, if you look at the mobile market as a whole there's profit to be made. But what people seem to forget is the fact that most mobile games are temporary hypes. One type of game gets popular? Queue the spawning of countless clones, all made by different companies, that take away from the original game's profit. If you add up the profit of all those clones then yes, it'll probably show favorable numbers, but for the individual games/companies the profit won't be anything in that same range.

Mobile games are mostly 'the flavor of the week/month', while PC games and console games have fans that'll stay loyal (and spend money) on their beloved franchises for years and years on end (just look at WoW, or at any game franchise that's still going strong, like Tomb Raider). Mobile gamers will switch to another game without looking back, OR they focus on ONE mobile game only, which means they'll never consider playing another just because it takes so much time to get anywhere in a mobile game (unless you pour boatloads of money into it).

So yes, it's a bad move, a stupid move, an incredibly idiotic, utterly incomprehensible move, especially when combined with the weird statement that they're moving MOST of their BEST developers to mobile projects! I am so, so disappointed at how Blizzard has become a hollow shell of its former self, I don't even know what to do anymore. I still love WoW, I still play HS, I still play SC2 (though I'd love to see some more story-focused content) and I even play OW from time to time, but after this move? I just don't know.
09/11/2018 09:01Posted by Tèsla
blizz is not mad. look at the graphs on this link

https://www.wowhead.com/news=288504/more-mobile-titles-in-development-at-blizzard-entertainment

It's a big risk and the investors are not happy about it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NdjYpS4DyN0
It's a long time strategy i guess. in some days the market will quiet. And we'll see when they will release DI.
09/11/2018 09:44Posted by Tèsla
It's a long time strategy i guess. in some days the market will quiet. And we'll see when they will release DI.

On that note, yesterday between 16-18PM CET another 50k down votes vanished. I'm redownvoting the video for a 3rd time. It is officially the most downvoted video in the history of youtube.
09/11/2018 10:35Posted by Rezista
09/11/2018 09:44Posted by Tèsla

On that note, yesterday between 16-18PM CET another 50k down votes vanished. I'm redownvoting the video for a 3rd time. It is officially the most downvoted video in the history of youtube.

Yeah and the comment by RedPillshark dude has more upvotes than the video.
The thing is Blizzard does not need crazy moves like this and should keep doing what made them great in the first place. Focus on creating and maintaining high quality games.

If something is not broken do not fix it.
04/11/2018 19:12Posted by Râlph
Abandon ship time?
Nah, let-it-crash-and-burn-time
I will buy the PC stuff I'm interested in which is everything except diablo but phones? lmao
maybe bring pet battling to phones and leave it at that

If quality of PC stuff however suffers under it I'll probably end up not buying their products not out of spite but simply because it has no more quality to it

As for the debate about mobile games being good, yeah, they're good at emptying parents credit cards, but it's an unstable market because phone games tend to jump to the next hype every month or so with a few exceptions

Personally, mobile games are very limited and I don't even play them anymore when I go to the bathroom
09/11/2018 11:14Posted by Sylvare
but phones? lmao

I saw a video yesterday on youtube about Samsung having made a phone with a bendable screen. So you can basically open it up and it becomes a tablet.

People may scoff at smartphones as gaming devices today. But given the rapid technological advancement in the smartphone industry, the potential in 10-15 years is scary to think about.

Some day, smartphones may even be able to run Crysis.
09/11/2018 11:19Posted by Jito
09/11/2018 11:14Posted by Sylvare
but phones? lmao

I saw a video yesterday on youtube about Samsung having made a phone with a bendable screen. So you can basically open it up and it becomes a tablet.

People may scoff at smartphones as gaming devices today. But given the rapid technological advancement in the smartphone industry, the potential in 10-15 years is scary to think about.

Some day, smartphones may even be able to run Crysis.
I'm not scoffing at games existing on phones, I'm scoffing at the idea of playing a game on a mobile phone

Edit: I also read some posts about them not caring to lose 2m desktop users over 20m phone users but assuming those 2m's are subscribed wow-ers is it reasonable to lose 2m *13 a month doesn't the equation mean they're expecting

And if the performance will go up you will see that mobile phone gaming will turn into "connect it to a screen with mouse and keyboard on a hub!" and we'll have gone full circle (Nintendo switch is a great example)
09/11/2018 11:21Posted by Sylvare
I'm not scoffing at games existing on phones, I'm scoffing at the idea of playing a game on a mobile phone

But your idea of a mobile phone today is not the mobile phone of tomorrow.

When I was a teenager I got a Nokia 3310 for Christmas. Small colorless display, and the bottom part reserved for dial buttons. Phone calls, text messages, and the game Snake, that was about the extent of the device. Awesome device though!

The Nokia 3310 came out in year 2000. Just look at the technological advancement of phones over those past 18 years. It's crazy. From Snake to Diablo Immortal.
Think another 18 years ahead and.....Probably not something to scoff at.
09/11/2018 11:30Posted by Jito

We don't have phone of tomorrow yet, also Blizz is making new games at expense of PC titles for today's phone. Keep in mind, when we get tomorrow's phone there will be tomorrow's PC which will be outperforming correpsonding phone by the same margin as of now
The Nokia 3310 came out in year 2000. Just look at the technological advancement of phones over those past 18 years. It's crazy. From Snake to Diablo Immortal.

Yes, and when it came out, it could work for a week before I had to charge its battery. Smartphones? I need to charge it every day if I use it for anything outside of talking. Playing for 2 hours some gpu heavy game? Great, now I need to find a charger if I want to talk on it.
09/11/2018 11:21Posted by Sylvare

When I was a teenager I got a Nokia 3310 for Christmas. Small colorless display, and the bottom part reserved for dial buttons. Phone calls, text messages, and the game Snake, that was about the extent of the device. Awesome device though!

yeah but let's be honest the future of gaming isn't going to be; look at a screen that can fit your pocket, any gaming that will be based on that will be short attention span low complexity games, games literally built to keep you busy while you're on the toilet

Just like laptops replaced desktops for everyone who isn't someone who overspends on a PC to give it overkill performance (I'm guilty) phones will replace laptops because they already have the performance

Any mobile game however that doesn't use a bigger monitor or alternative controls outside of touchscreen will be low dedication

When we reach that point can you truely call a game a 'mobile game' just because it's played on a mobile phone? (even tho smart phones are more like pocket PC's with call function)
I'm hoping for pet battles on mobile, would absolutely love that. Not so much if it's a microtransaction ridden hell, but if I can at least level pets at the same speed as I can in WoW then I'll be happy.

Who cares, Snake is a better game as well. It does what it is ment to do - distract you for 5-10 minutes while you wait somewhere. Diablo Immortal on the other hand is a "game" that is not ment to be played for 5-10 minutes.
09/11/2018 11:40Posted by Qemme

We don't have phone of tomorrow yet, also Blizz is making new games at expense of PC titles for today's phone. Keep in mind, when we get tomorrow's phone there will be tomorrow's PC which will be outperforming correpsonding phone by the same margin as of now

Starts a BIG boss battle on DI on your shiny smarthpone.
*Black spot, connection lost*
*Call incoming*
*Software update*
*NOTIFICATIONS*
*Battery low*
*All data used, upgrade sub pack for another 10gig this month*
*No connection found*
*Screen frozen*
Or the eternal *Dies for no reason at all, full restart required*

And that's just a sample of the issues the phone may experience, just imagine what issues you may have with the game.

Yep, wave of the future.

*edit* Of course it could just as easily be WOWmob or the like, inb4 'THIS IS A WOW THREAD'.
Battery low Battery low Battery low
Shutting down...