Blizzard: “More mobile titles planned for all our IPs”

General
Prev 1 2 3 16 Next
04/11/2018 19:24Posted by Xemeron
Seriously, you guys get triggered by the word mobile game harder than some left wing feminist when i accidently use the wrong pronoun...

Mobile games can be very good, so how about wait and judge the games when we actually know what they are?

The problem is they're mobile ONLY. If the mobile only diablo would be available on PC and console it would have been fine.
-Look son, i'm a Gnome wizard level 4
-noob
04/11/2018 19:54Posted by Danellos
I am really not convinced that having mobile side games for Blizzard IPs is a bad thing.

I am not convinced copy/pasting a Chinese Diablo cashgrabbing clone with potion=2$ and "teaming up" with one of the notorious p2w mobile games developers is a bad thing. What could go wrong with that I wonder?
Mobile games can be good.

Activision mobile games can not.

Netease mobile games can not.
04/11/2018 19:58Posted by Redoctober
I am really not convinced that having mobile side games for Blizzard IPs is a bad thing.

I am not convinced copy/pasting a Chinese Diablo cashgrabbing clone with potion=2$ and "teaming up" with one of the notorious p2w mobile games developers is a bad thing. What could go wrong with that I wonder?

I am not really familiar with the Chinese developer. I was more responding to the knee-jerk backlash against mobile in general. You should read the rest of my post.
04/11/2018 19:59Posted by Danellos
I was more responding to the knee-jerk backlash against mobile in general.

So you are misrepresenting what the people that complained say. Good for you, argue with the air!
04/11/2018 20:00Posted by Redoctober
I was more responding to the knee-jerk backlash against mobile in general.

So you are misrepresenting what the people that complained say. Good for you, argue with the air!

I deliberately placed that sentence first in my original reply to prove my point. Thank you for doing so. I don't think I am misrepresenting some of the less-than-constructive replies I have read in this and other threads, and I generally share the disappointment in the announcement for the reasons I stated.
Mobile gaming is not going to go anywhere soon, Fortnite and PUbG, plus the new Harry Potter game have proven this. What Blizzard should do is follow the Fortnite route and release the games on every single platform they can: Xbox, Playstation, PC, mobile, and Ios etc. This will bring in new players who may not have the pcs to run their games, plus those with gaming consoles can play.

Mobile gaming is cheaper to implement, it means less developers and more money can be made off micro transactions. While some will be upset about it, judging from the Diablo reaction, people need to realize that once again this is a gaming corporation, their main goal is to be profitable, cut costs wherever they can, and make as much money as they can.

I do not think this focus means 100 percent mobile all together, just additional mobile products. If you do not believe me, check out this info from a well known financial investor's site: https://www.fool.com/investing/2018/11/02/new-products-in-focus-for-activision-blizzard.aspx
04/11/2018 19:51Posted by Redoctober
04/11/2018 19:45Posted by Qulululu
The game can be the best of the world. Im not gonna play it on a trash platform like a phone.

You don't need to worry about the first part either, it will be dog poop, because of the obvious limitations of the mobile phone platform.
Did you notice it on the gameplay trailer how small the area was for fighting thrash mobs, on DIII that's only for bosses and you can kite thrash through the entire level.
You speak common sense shame Blizzard does not follow your advice.
04/11/2018 19:26Posted by Mortheria
Also with EU rules coming into effect on loot boxes etc Mobile gaming may die quickly anyways,

Single mobile games in china have more weekly players then the EU has citizens.

If you think regulation in the EU would detract from them lusting after the cinese market you're delusional.

I am not really familiar with the Chinese developer. I was more responding to the knee-jerk backlash against mobile in general. You should read the rest of my post.

[/quote]
There exists not a single mobile game in the entire world that wouldn't have been strictly better on any other platform.

Also, mobile gaming is the originator of some of the worst trends to ever disgrace and soil gaming with their presence, namely microtransactions and lootbox skinnerbox style esque motivation. Based on these two factors alone it's perfectly understandable that any mobile project is going to get nothing but scorn and derision.

Or, perhaps even if it were a bit like Hearthstone: where it is available for both PC and mobile.

Being designed with mobile or even consoles in mind dilutes and soils the design structure a game can have. Imagine what star craft 2 would have been like if they had to keep in mind that you could be playing it with a controller or god forbid a touch screen.

Hearthstone works on both solely because it's a card game and card games have an inherently strictly limited design space.

Expand that thought, what would wow on mobile look like? What would a raid and class design have to look like to make it playable on a 10*20cm touch screen?
At the moment I really doubt, that the Diablo mobile game will bring in much money over a longer time.
The mobile gamers aren't the same as console/PC gamers. Most of them don't care too much about the game or company like we do. When it gets boring, or it feels like you can't progress any further in a reasonable time, the players will just switch to another game.
And there are hundreds of similar games. There are many people playing WoW because for them it's still one of the best options. And also for Diablo3 you have to look a bit for similar games with the same flair.
But for a mobile game you just have to open the playstore site and get a good amount of games presented, that range from same gameplay with different art style to a bit enhanced gameplay and so on.

But I'm not against more Blizzard mobile games. Although it might not work so well with Diablo and SC, that already have to wait pretty long for new content/games. But when you look at hearthstone it turned out pretty well for a game that also didn't get so much positive feedback at first. It was a complete different concept than the normal WC games and has a seperate developing team. Also it didn't have any negative impact on WoW. And even though I don't play it, I still like to look through the cards because some have pretty cool artwork.

Personally I would really welcome a game around pet battles, where you can train and fight with them. It could improve pet battles in WoW, they could add an option to link your WoW account to it to train your pets outside of WoW (maybe with restrictions so that you have to pay an ingame currency to unlock them for PvP fights). And they could then add monsters from Diablo and SC, that are only useable on the mobile game.
I don't have anything against the mobile platform on principle or anything.

If Blizzard makes a good game, then I will play it. And I don't think all games are best enjoyed on a PC.

I fall into the category of those who look at Diablo Immortal and go: "Looks sweet, can't wait to play it!"

I dabble in Hearthstone on a daily basis and I don't find the play experience to be enhanced on my PC as opposed to my iPad. If anything, I'd make the argument that it's a better experience on iPad (because it feels more like you're playing actual cards when you involve your hands).

I think there are some great opportunities in the mobile gaming market, and I think there are plenty of great mobile games already.
If Blizzard brings their commitment to quality and their infamous Blizzard polish to the mobile platform, then I can't wait to see what games they create.

The creative opportunities on the mobile platform are huge. PC gaming is a market that is increasingly conservative and it's only a few genres that have sizable audiences ("An RTS game? Dude, the RTS genre is dead! A 3D platformer? On a PC? Hahaha? You want city management games like in the 90's? Dream on!"). A quick look at twitch reveals almost only FPS, MOBA, and RPG games.

I would love to see Blizzard make a city management game or a turn-based strategy game. Pharoah, Zoo Tycoon, Heroes of Might & Magic. A Blizzard take on something like that, on mobile, sign me up!

Before Blizzard made Warcraft, StarCraft or Diablo, they made games like The Lost Vikings and Rock 'n Roll Racing.
Puzzle platformer and racing games!

There's so much creative opportunity in the mobile market, because so many genres are popular, and because the audience is more open-minded. On the PC platform it's almost as if people develop long-term depressions if Blizzard don't release new Triple A games within their existing game franchises.

I would love to see Blizzard be more experimental, try new things and take risks. You see it all the time whenever some employees chooses to leave Blizzard. All those ex-Blizzard employees who've gone to make their own companies afterward have always had a plethora of design creativity they wanted to pursue. It seems dumb that Blizzard is supposed to be this closed off cage where conformity reigns supreme and all you're allowed to do is work on the next Warcraft, StarCraft or Diablo installment, which has to be 99% similar to the previous one.

It's so dumb. Blizzard has so much talent. It's silly to not let it loose. What initially made Blizzard great was because they did exactly that. They went from Blackthorne to Warcraft: Orcs & Humans to a Justice League Taskforce port. Even WoW was a huge creative design exploration. Had they made anything like WoW before? Hell no! Are we thankful today that they took that chance? You bet.

Of course Blizzard should explore the mobile platform. They should go nuts on it. As a true Blizzard fan (to use Garrosh' terminology) I want to see Blizzard create new exciting games. Not just Warcraft IV, Diablo IV, StarCraft III. If you're a gamer, then there's more to it than just those 3 game series.
Seriously, you guys get triggered by the word mobile game harder than some left wing feminist when i accidently use the wrong pronoun...

Mobile games can be very good, so how about wait and judge the games when we actually know what they are?

wont be able to as i wont be playing them xD ...

sad times for blizzard to move to where the money is and i hope they continue to make good pc games and don't just abandon the people who made them what they are.

but hey its activision ... this kind of thing is to be expected... it was bound to start happening one day we were all kidding ourselves if we thought wow and blizzard would live forever as we know it... without being sold out for the quick money.

its the same story with EA and bioware... once anthem fails i call it now that EA will restructure bioware into mobile gaming.

EDIT: people don't want loot boxes and cash shops on pc and console .. so its common sense that they will move to where people do want it .. the mobile market.
Seriously, you guys get triggered by the word mobile game

because it is the most obvious way of saying: We don't really care about designing a good game, we just want money.

No company with passionate developers and the intention to create a good and qualitative game would ever think about publishing a mobile game rather than something the die hard fans actually want.

I'm not surprised in this case tho, because its Activison-Blizzard after all.
beginning to make sense why mike morhaime stepped down eh?

i think they will use classic as a way to try distract people while secretly pulling apart and restructuring everything good about retail.
04/11/2018 21:39Posted by Pixelbear
i think they will use classic as a way to try distract people while secretly pulling apart and restructuring everything good about retail.

I don't think majority of the current Devs are able to fix anything.

they would need to pull a full 180 and reset everything back to how it was during Woltk, Cata or MoP to get me excited for the game again.
04/11/2018 19:58Posted by Redoctober

Knee-jerk backlash... Sure, but I can't blame em when 90% of mobile games is utter trash. :p
04/11/2018 21:46Posted by Yayogott
04/11/2018 21:39Posted by Pixelbear

I don't think majority of the current Devs are able to fix anything.

they would need to pull a full 180 and reset everything back to how it was during Woltk, Cata or MoP to get me excited for the game again.

im more referring to them potentially stripping down wow slowly over time until it is able to fit onto a mobile device. (sounds extreme i know but it is a possibility) this whole classic thing could just be the curtains pulled in front peoples eyes.

i am in no way claiming i am correct though just pure speculation.
04/11/2018 22:02Posted by Pixelbear
im more referring to them potentially stripping down wow slowly over time until it is able to fit onto a mobile device.

ahh gotcha