Just give us free instant level 120s already

General
14/11/2018 11:48Posted by Bedezee

For you. A lot of people think you should play a class because you chose it, not simply because it happens to be the best that week. I don't want to log on and see that everyone is a DH or whatever, thanks.

Nonsense. If that was the case, then everyone would've been allowed to create only one character and stuck with playing that.

How you feel about seeing everyone playing FOTM classes when you log on is irrelevant. While I was no longer playing during WotLK, I still remember people complaining about how everyone rolled a DK. That obviously didn't stop more players from playing DK, as it shouldn't have been.

No, its a matter of logistics. Too many on one realm, it lags. Too few on another, you are forced to move or live in isolation. Server stability is important, particularly for people that want to build up guilds or community events.

Phasing is exactly there to prevent too many people from causing a lag in an area. Not that I remember any lag since when I came back during Legion either, and I'm playing on the realm with highest population. Only exception was the launch week, but those problems didn't persist anyway.

OP isn't suggesting you get more boosts, he is suggesting you just get max lvl instantly. If that was the case, why would they be locked out.
Also, people still use boosted characters for all sorts of marginal stuff. Its a bad idea all around.

And I suggest reading the entire comment before quoting it. Even if you create a DH, which doesn't start at boost level but still at a rather high level, you still cannot enter any old instance to farm mounts or whatever. There isn't any sort of "mariginal stuff" going on.
14/11/2018 09:54Posted by Putridius
You actually become weaker, if you do not use hierlooms.

This was always the case though. The only difference is that static item levels allowed you to fetch items that made you overpowered for a good few levels before mob stats caught up. But this required usually some high-leveled player boosting you in content not intended for your current level.

Yeah it felt nice to game the leveling system, I used to love min-maxing stuff like that. But it's a reasonable trade-off for the benefits of the scaling system. I actually wish they would add some more choice to it, like maybe allowing us to choose a "hard/easy" setting for the next zone or something. But being able to finish up questlines while leveling is one of the best addition to it for a long time. I'll gladly give niche min-max routes of same loot, in same dungeon, at same level in a trade.

EDIT: Oh hi Savoren, I like how we're actively not engaging in these thread nowadays.
Can someone explain to me why people couldn't simply do grey quests, if they want to finish quest lines??

I don't see any single benefit to scaling.

Were people somehow FORCED to wear heirlooms?? Or, FORCED to leave an area because the quests were grey?

I don't really care, I have already leveled all classes beyond 100, other than allied--and I certainly won't be raising them even if it meant simply collecting the old world flight paths.

But, at least those advocates for scaling ruined that aspect of the game for people who could have enjoyed leveling.
14/11/2018 13:44Posted by Jalisco
Can someone explain to me why people couldn't simply do grey quests, if they want to finish quest lines??

Because it feels nice playing relevant content while keeping the story coherent. Saying "just remove heirlooms" is like saying "if you want challenge, play with one hand/guitar hero controller". It's basic human nature to strive for attainable efficiency. Story matters in this game, so does relevancy of the content you play. Scaling brought them together.

Which aspect exactly was ruined in your opinion? Even before scaling leveling up meant that your gear was getting left behind without heirlooms while mobs got stronger. Nothing has really changed in that regard, you're just free to use other paths for leveling than that same old Durotar -> Azhara -> STV -> etc.
Levelling is atrocious in WoW.

However removing it or constantly nerfing the time to hilarious fast paces isn't the solution. Maybe actually improve i instead?

Shocking I know. It wouldn't matter if it took a week to level if it was actually engaging. Fun, in game, indeed.

If you're the kind of person that says "Well, I just don't like levelling on principle." WHAT THE HELL ARE YOU PLAYING AN MMORPG FOR? Not only that, just who the hell do you think you are expecting the game to be compromised for someone who hates a core pillar of it.

"Hey Call of Duty devs, can you remove guns from this game because I don't really like them."
We are playing fantasy island then, if we hold that anything in Vanilla (even post Cataclysm), TBC, MoP, heck pick any point..is relevant or coherent story.

The only story that matters NOW is in BfA.

Whatever happened in WoD, LK, whatever, its like yesterdays newspaper--trash.

Even blizzard knows this.

They don't sell new copies without a free boost to 110. They know no fool is going to buy a game to "experience relevant content and story" from 1-110. They want a boost and get to real content.

Again, I don't care. It doesn't affect me. I got my choice of class/race/faction from any I would ever want to play above 110+. Thankfully, all before the scaling system was put in place.

Just unfortunate for those that would like to enjoy leveling, for speeds sake. And, I am not discounting the possibility, "different strokes, for different folks."

If you like "relevant" content in Area 51, Crossroads, Tanaris, Spires of Arak, or Blasted Lands, hey have fun.
14/11/2018 12:20Posted by Midnightfist
14/11/2018 11:34Posted by Alexima
Quests and lvlup are a part of this game. They're already reducing the required XP with the upcoming patch. Giving free 120's to people isn't necessary. I would definitely appreciate it for sure, but I neither expect nor demand it.

The problem with Blizzard reducing the exp requirements (apart from it not solving the issue in the first place) is that it completely throws off the pacing that the game is designed around. Before the world scaling came in, exp from quests was carefully calculated so that you would complete the main storyline quests in a zone and that would give you enough exp to move onto the next zone. The gear rewards reflected this, by offering you ever better gear as you progressed through a zone, usually ending with a decent weapon for the final quest in a chain.

When you increase the exp gains a lot of players aren't going to do all the quests in a zone which means they will miss out on that big reward at the end. It's almost impossible to keep your gear relevant when that happens, and you end up using a weapon that is 10-20 levels below your character level. The world scaling doesn't account for this, and classes that heavily rely on their weapon damage have a really hard time of it.

The mobs are scaled to your lvl and so are the rewards. You don't have to worry about completing a zone because there is no longer any big reward at the end. Everything scales and is the same, at least up to lvl 98 where I am now. Feels very unrewarding.
I had so much fun leveling a maghar orc. Like in outland and in wod. It made whole lot sense. I a maghar orc from draenors future got recruited by a different reality timeline undead elf warchief. Then i was sent to Orgrimmar and there was a Troll warchief and he sent me to do things that is set in past. I went to past of a different reality of my own planet. Later i came to orgrimmar and saw a Maghar Orc warchief! From a different reality than mine i learned. He sent me to a continent of fluffy bears to paint there im blood. There i learned the maghar warchief is evil ( sadface ). He got arrested by NYPD for drug abuse amd sent to prison in bearland. He escaped amd ran to the past of my old reality. I followed him there and while there i saw my grandparents and they called me outsider.... Whatdafak mate let me go.
14/11/2018 12:54Posted by Thedice

EDIT: Oh hi Savoren, I like how we're actively not engaging in these thread nowadays.

Heh, no point in beating that same old drum now, is there? Besides, I don't really agree with OP either. His solution is to completely remove leveling from the game for everyone. I'm not really a big fan of it, but there are people who enjoy it and their fun would be taken away if it were to happen. Which never will, because it'd also kill Blizzard's "fun" by making level boosts useless.

It's the same story for incoming leveling changes. Most of us who were asking for faster leveling were asking for an item that gives exp bonus which would be used on shirt or tabard slot. They've just took the lazy way out and reduced exp needed for leveling, damaging the fun of people who like slow leveling instead of making both sides happy.

14/11/2018 14:54Posted by Golkha
It made whole lot sense.

That was the best part of allied races, it caused huge time paradoxes from time to time. I was leveling my Nightborne mage and got Dire Maul for my random dungeon queue. After turning in one of the quests and talking to an NPC in there, she asked me if I've heard of the Highborne before. To me. A Nightborne. As in, a Highborne who raised a shield 10000 years ago and lived in a Highborne city during all that time.
Heh, no point in beating that same old drum now, is there?

*proceeds to beat the same drum*

Joking. I've actually come to agree with alot of what you said about player choice, especially the tabard option. I'd still like to have a title or something that notifies if you level without any xp-bonuses etc and that would suffice for the sense of achievement, at least for me. So my hard stance has softened, all those headbutts weren't for nothing!
14/11/2018 14:06Posted by Daecimus
However removing it or constantly nerfing the time to hilarious fast paces isn't the solution. Maybe actually improve i instead?
^ I'd like for the leveling to be improved as well.

The story is completely screwed, so doing that is pointless.

Heck, world quests / scenarios would be a nice thing at lower levels as well.

Instead of the typical "Collect 10x Boar leg off enemy" with a 20% drop chance.
14/11/2018 18:48Posted by Museki
14/11/2018 14:06Posted by Daecimus
^ I'd like for the leveling to be improved as well.

Ill say it once and ill say it a thousand times more, Blizzard should skip an expansion and work on updating the game world and bringing it all up to speed.
14/11/2018 18:56Posted by Annallusion
14/11/2018 18:48Posted by Museki
...^ I'd like for the leveling to be improved as well.

Ill say it once and ill say it a thousand times more, Blizzard should skip an expansion and work on updating the game world and bringing it all up to speed.
That won't earn them money from the £40/£50 expansions every 2 years though.

I'd rather they had diverted the resources that they've done for classic and put it into the leveling world instead.

But "old content" clearly isn't a priority for them.
14/11/2018 06:24Posted by Kâî
No, stop trying to take things away from an MMO that is a staple to.. MMOs.

A fair compromise that would make the OP not want the leveling system gone could be to speed things up a bit, instead of giving us a free level 120 for buying the new expansion, just give them to us now.
14/11/2018 20:15Posted by Canabal
14/11/2018 06:24Posted by Kâî
No, stop trying to take things away from an MMO that is a staple to.. MMOs.

A fair compromise that would make the OP not want the leveling system gone could be to speed things up a bit, instead of giving us a free level 120 for buying the new expansion, just give them to us now.

I would like to clarify that I don't want the leveling system gone completely. I think it's important to have a leveling system in an mmorpg and games that do it well (GW2, Blade and Soul, etc) are amazingly fun to level in. My point is that if Blizzard are just going to half-!@# it by reducing the time it takes to level up instead of fixing the problem, then they might as well just get rid of leveling entirely.
What !!! And miss out on all the fun. Get real.
14/11/2018 21:30Posted by Midnightfist
I think it's important to have a leveling system in an mmorpg and games that do it well

You can't make that argument because the reason why people want Free level 120s is because they don't want to level at all, even when the conditions are ideal.

Btw, you should change the name of this thread because it's misleading, I thought in your Opening Post that you were pointing out that the leveling system is Out dated in MMOs and Free level Cap is the Future, when in fact you're pointing out whats needed to help make it an ideal system.

Make leveling Great Again, seems more fitting for the name of this thread.
I know blizzard like money (who doesn’t) but imo they actually done themselves out of money, the character boost is what £50 ish? if i’m right in thinking (correct me if i’m wrong)
Personally i think that’s rather steep therefore i won’t ever buy a boost with real money, BUT if it was more reasonably but not a complete freebie, say more like £30 i would have brought about 4 character boosts by now.

That’s £120 blizz could have had, but instead they get £0. I’ll wait till next expansion comes out with a free boost.

Iv levelled 2 characters to 120 so far and it’s not that it’s difficult by any means it’s just so mind numbly boring i can’t bring myself to do it again.
15/11/2018 00:43Posted by Wolfblood

Iv levelled 2 characters to 120 so far and it’s not that it’s difficult by any means it’s just so mind numbly boring i can’t bring myself to do it again.

Point 1: it's NOT difficult to level from 110-120. Can we all agree on that?

Point 2: you get a FREE boost to 110, when you buy expansion. Can we all agree on this claim?

Point 3: any hardcore player can go from 110-120 within 48 hours depending how much they sleep. True?

Point 4: any casual dreg can level 110-120 within a fortnight of casual activity. That sound about right??

I am 100% for options and choices, and all those that love slow, painful, I mean, "rich" leveling experiences, I love you and want you to be happy, and have those experiences.

Why can't you extend me the same love and respect for choice??? I want to get a free boost to 120 (or whatever max level is). If I am healing you in your max level dungeon, m+, raid, or PvP (rated or not) activity, do you REALLY cared if I quested through the crossroads, esp. having to collect the 8 gizzards from those ostrich looking birds??? That I did all the quests in Hyjal? That I did all the quests in Nagrand (TBC or WoD versions)???

I am not arguing for anything meaning being given to me. "Meaningful", emphasis added.

Any raid, m+, high gear, PvP rating, all that stuff has to be earned--if there is such a thing.

But, leveling AT THIS POINT should be optional. Its the elephant in the room.

Let's talk about it.

1. Optional - sign me up. One free boost per expansion, or *gulp* blizzard can sell them. Not much different from what we have now.

2. Improve the leveling system, if people want to level. This is the most fairytale wish of all. Blizzard will never commit resources required to ever achieve this.

3. Blizzard tries, and mostly fails, leaving even more dissatisfaction in its wake. Today.

4. Blizzard does nothing and leaves old content "out there" for people to explore or not, like an old newspaper. This would have been better than 3.

Don't hate me, I am just the messenger.

I agree with the levelers, leveling is core to an mmo. I don't know what wow is anymore, after 14+ years, but its not an mmo.

It's a commercial, frankensteined mmo, on life support.

I am not saying the end is near. On sheer volume of resources, reputation, and customer loyalty, wow will last 10 years longer--but maybe that countdown starts now.

Vanilla, classic, whatever was an mmo, where leveling mattered. If you made it to max level, one thing was certain, you probably know (mostly) how your class worked, at least tried to understand it, and probably knew how to play.

Since then, just been expansion, expansion, exp...

I will stop now, though I could certainly continue my critique.
14/11/2018 22:01Posted by Canabal
14/11/2018 21:30Posted by Midnightfist
I think it's important to have a leveling system in an mmorpg and games that do it well

You can't make that argument because the reason why people want Free level 120s is because they don't want to level at all, even when the conditions are ideal.

Btw, you should change the name of this thread because it's misleading, I thought in your Opening Post that you were pointing out that the leveling system is Out dated in MMOs and Free level Cap is the Future, when in fact you're pointing out whats needed to help make it an ideal system.

Make leveling Great Again, seems more fitting for the name of this thread.

Is that because they don't like leveling in general, or because they don't like leveling in WoW? As I said earlier there are mmorpgs that have done leveling really well, like GW2. The leveling in that game is so much more interesting than WoW's because it has a better story, good pacing and doesn't take 100+ hours to complete.