What is all the negative remarks about autism?

General
1 2 3 9 Next
Hi there. It might not come as a surprise to people by the title that I am diagnosed with autism. And from that perspective it made me wonder why I see people mentioning autism from time to time as a kind of insulting remark.

To people who aren't aware of the traits of autism: Autism is a spectrum, from all the way to the "Rainman people" who can't even manage their own lifes to seemingly normal people who just happen to have enough traits to get a diagnose.

Common traits are uneasyness in social situations, unable to understand non-verbal communication, high intelligence, ability to learn certain artistic traits on a higher level, lack of ability to understand empathy, usually good with mathematics, struggles with sarcasm and irony, like to do the same thing over and over, obsessive about structure and order. There are many more things but these are the basic ones.

I am not "offended" by the autism remarks, I am genuinly curious about why the term is used as negative remark from time to time. Is there an autistic person who did something horrible I am not aware about? Because that would make sense.

Ty! :)
They're just sad on the inside that's what. It's a 'fad' insult like all the other ones were. It will pass in time and we'll hear a new one in a year or 2.
People who lack the intelligence and/or are too lazy to properly research anything, in my experience, more often than not, express their displeasure of their incomprehension with scorn and mockery.

The medical term for this nasty but quite curable by-not-being-an-idiot condition is mutton-headedness.
Just hive mind behaviour from edgy internauts.
It's the same thing as people that use virgin as an insult. They simply lack brains.
I like to think to myself that people who go "Urgh ur autistic" or whatever, are as a matter of fact either.. Terrified of people with those traits because it may happen that they're inferior compared to them, or that they just think "Mental quirks? That must mean they're subhuman!" Both being rather ridiculous in the grand scope of things. Honestly I find it to be the only logical explanation.

Anyway, moving on...

As someone diagnosed with it, may I add a few things? As I feel that some things aren't exactly correct (Or at least, I feel they aren't from my point of view).

06/10/2018 01:25Posted by Mussy
Autism is a spectrum, from all the way to the "Rainman people" who can't even manage their own lifes to seemingly normal people who just happen to have enough traits to get a diagnose.

This is generally true. I've met some who either acted like animals, talked far too much to the point they were wasting words, or were just quiet and were more thoughtful. I tend to be on the thoughtful side of things.

Common traits are uneasyness in social situations

Pretty much. Don't exactly feel all that savvy when having confrontations.

unable to understand non-verbal communication

Sometimes people really are not clear with what they're trying to say.

high intelligence

Depends on the individual, and how much someone is nurtured in an enviroment. I can safely say that it took about until the third year in middle school for my grades to spike up in to the great positives. Before that I was more or less struggling.

ability to learn certain artistic traits on a higher level

Well, a classmate of mine was a real big fan of drawing stuff, and I like writing, so I guess that part is true.

lack of ability to understand empathy

As someone who is often told that has too much empathy, I strongly disagree with this part. As it is for everything else, it strongly depends on the person's quirks more than anything. Some may lack empathy, others may be swimming in it.

usually good with mathematics

Only good with geometry, sorry.

struggles with sarcasm and irony

This I can confirm. Although let's be honest, sometimes it's hard to understand that via text.

obsessive about structure and order

Heh, I actually sometimes reorganize a few things in stores, just because I find some things not fitting on a shelve or otherwise.

Is there an autistic person who did something horrible I am not aware about? Because that would make sense.

Aye: They probably noticed that people within the spectrum are a whole lot better at some of the more mundane things, or can be more considerate, or you know, just generally decent folk with a few mild quirks, and that terrifies people who deem themselves as "Perfectly normal".
Back in the 90s the "in" term to insult people with was "gay" or "fag" or "!@#$", now it's "autism". I'll bet in another 10 years time it will be something else. There is no logic to it, no real meaning behind it, it's just something some people feel the need to do. Does it make it right? Absolutely not. Unfortunately we can't stop people from talking like that on the internet where there is zero accountability and %^-*!@#s can hide behind anonymity.

The sad fact of the matter is that people have a tendency of lashing out at anything they don't understand, and autism is still largely a mystery, surrounded by stigma and misunderstanding.
There is not a defined reason why. It's just something that caught on.
06/10/2018 02:33Posted by Midnightfist
The sad fact of the matter is that people have a tendency of lashing out at anything they don't understand, and autism is still largely a mystery, surrounded by stigma and misunderstanding

And it doesn't really help matters, when primarily popular media decides to twist the whole spectrum, propping people up within it as some kind of delicate individuals that can't handle real life, or whatever.
It's just plain ignorance. They don't even know what the word means.
The reason people use autism as an "insult" or tend to make fun of it is because they simply don't know what it is, so to them they associate aspergers (the form of autism that they're most familiar with) with the Sonic the Hedgehog fanbase. It's just a 4chan thing really.

It's the same with 4chan's recent obsession with "traps" and cuckolding.
It sucks that so much ‘humour’ these days involves attacking and stigmatising others.

People commit suicide because of stigma and micro aggression all the time. The people who insist it is just ‘jokes’ know it, and continue doing it nevertheless. F those people.
Ignorance is the root cause mainly, they hear other edgy types using it and jump on the bandwagon.

Pretty sad really.
if I opened this thread little dogs would be barking loud at me lmao.
Well you know it’s internet, people say everything and get away, there is nothing to do with autism, normies are tend to call others names, autist, nerd, fag, weeb etc, I was called “low IQ aspie” once, it was funny :D
I am genuinly curious about why the term is used as negative remark from time to time.

It's a very cheap cop-out argument in any internet "discussion" : "Oh, you're autistic, obviously that means you can't know what you're talking about because you can't reason like a normal person like me, and I automatically win this argument. "
Typical used by wastes of space who couldn't form proper arguments in the first place.
as long as your "autism" is not causing you to chop synthetic !@#$%^- (ritalin) its all good.

imho autists just have problems with disasociation so they have problems learning stuff. too much television from a young age disasociates your point of view and than you have problems internalizing your experience as associative behaviour (meditation shrooms etc) are scarse.
[snipped for clarity of context]
I am not "offended" by the autism remarks, I am genuinly curious about why the term is used as negative remark from time to time. Is there an autistic person who did something horrible I am not aware about? Because that would make sense.

Ty! :)

Hi! :) to answer your actual question - no it is not about any autistic person who did anything horrible. Yes that would make (limited) sense.... only limited sense because even if there were one, other autistic persons would not be that person who had done the horrible thing. That would then be prejudice.

There are people who use "autist" or "autistic" as insults out of actual prejudice. But many people simply follow others whom they heard/read using the words as insults, without any thought about what it actually means.

Kinda like people saying something in a game is "Aids" or "cancer" - when it has nothing to do with viruses or tumours, it is merely meant to express anger.

Hope this helps any!
06/10/2018 08:56Posted by Aldrachi
as long as your "autism" is not causing you to chop synthetic !@#$%^- (ritalin) its all good.

imho autists just have problems with disasociation so they have problems learning stuff. too much television from a young age disasociates your point of view and than you have problems internalizing your experience as associative behaviour (meditation shrooms etc) are scarse.

I have two kids with Autism - one high functioning has a job, (one severe who will live at home for life), and let me tell you both are excellent gamers and have no issues learning.. if anything they both become frustrated when other people fail at mechanics! Both are very intelligent too.

Both are very loving, and have no problems with showing how they feel.