What is all the negative remarks about autism?

General
Prev 1 2 3 9 Next
I think the fact they view it as an insult says more about their own issues than anything else.
People are just rude
This topic is autistic
Autism is a spectrum

Autism is not all rainman savant and it is unhelpful for this Hollywood stereotype

Every one on the spectrum is different, hence a spectrum

Lack of empathy is also not true. If anything there is a school of thought and my.personal experience is too much emotion leading to sensory overload and closing down to cope. Likely then meaning people assume you don't feel

"Autism spectrum disorder (ASD) refers to a group of complex neurodevelopment disorders characterized by repetitive and characteristic patterns of behavior and difficulties with social communication and interaction. The symptoms are present from early childhood and affect daily functioning."
Don't get triggered over words, mate
No one needs a medical course on autism. I hear more than enough about it every week on the WoW forums. There are people with other serious illnesses and yet, this subject keeps popping up. I'll assume attention seeking is a trait of this.

People say a lot of mean things about all types of people but...

...it seems to me "autistic" players like pretending they are the biggest victims of this.

In fact, the only time I hear about disparaging remarks regarding autism, is from the said autistic person.

Autistic people seem to like complaining about being autistic, a trait which they probably got from their parents complaining that their kids are autistic.
06/10/2018 01:46Posted by Shopkeeper
Just hive mind behaviour from edgy internauts.

This. It's the same people who say "x is cancer"
I used to trim this kid a few years ago. Thing is, he's got autism and i found out after knowing their famo for almost 2 years. I wouldn't even have noticed it if his mum hadn't told me.
It's just a buzzword which in minds of those using it means something like "noob" did 20 years ago. It's not new that people use genuine medical/psychology terms as derogatory online insults.
i'm autistic. it's just a meme, really. people don't mean anything harmful by it.
learn to laugh at yourself, it makes life a lot easier.
06/10/2018 13:03Posted by Osran
Don't get triggered over words, mate

I stated in my post if you read it that I don't get triggered by it. I just wondered why people use the term.
06/10/2018 15:04Posted by Trinesri
i'm autistic. it's just a meme, really. people don't mean anything harmful by it.
learn to laugh at yourself, it makes life a lot easier.

I agree. I have the same approach, again I just wondered why they say it. Why that word and not like "Chainsaw" or something else.
Low intellectuals will use wrong and/or unintelligent words to describe their emotions about something.
If you confront them and suggest a use of something else, you usually get the retort of "Lel gruw haerder skin m8" or "triggered POGCHAMP LOL" unless the individual is prepared to evolve and clean their brainspondge.

It's an "interesting" phenomenon in humans.
It's the same insult as snowflake, doesn't mean anything anymore and betrays their lack of imagination. Honestly, you could call anyone a snowflake about anything and someone on the internet would agree with them.
06/10/2018 13:16Posted by Silvermane
Autistic people seem to like complaining about being autistic, a trait which they probably got from their parents complaining that their kids are autistic.

Wow just wow. I adore my kids I really do and I wouldn't take their autism away even if I could. They are beautiful and unique and you'd never hear me complain about their disability.

They are humble, they are honest and more than anything they are kind. It's a shame more people cannot be that way.

Their dad and I haven't had a night out in 10 years.. but still we would change nothing, they bring so much joy to our lives.
06/10/2018 13:26Posted by Místel
I used to trim this kid a few years ago. Thing is, he's got autism and i found out after knowing their famo for almost 2 years. I wouldn't even have noticed it if his mum hadn't told me.

With many high functioning kids you won't notice, it mainly shows in their personal relationships later in life.
It's used out of ignorance and/or lack of a better come back, as other said much like "OMG noob" was used a few years back.
Asperger does not exist.
Its one of the many recently added 'disorders', most in DSM4, that are not linked to anything IN the physiology of the person. In other words, the determinations all overlap and the reasons for their existance clearly lies outside the person, ie in society.

All of these were added in the last 30 years and most first recognized in DSM4;
Annorexia
Bulimia
Asperger
Adhd
Ocd
etc etc.

They are the proof of western society being sick. Specially if you compare to other non-western societies that in many cases have none of these illnesses. As the west did not have them.
This excludes genetic source (although links for anything can always be found, which proves nothing at all, unless they are causal). It excludes pathogens. Only leaves environmental, more specifically; western society.

One of the many reasons for this origin and increase (which started in the US), is that being a victim has become a value. That in itself is sick. It also stimulates any person to accept eagerly any diagnoses, bc it includes benefits.
This entire phenomenon was driven by feminism. I will not expand on that.

The main writer for DSM4, Dr Frances, was also asked to write for DSM5, which expanded even more on amount of disorders.
The situation for DSM was already such that more than 50% of ppl of any western country could be diagnosed a disorder, according to version 4. For DSM5 this would even increase.
Many ppl outside the field has already started to complain about this, bc it is illogical; If more than 50% of ppl can be diagnosed with a disorder, it is more normal to have a disorder than it is to not have a disorder...

Dr Frances therefor did not participate in DSM5, but wrote a new book about it, acknowledging this fallacy. Thus making money twice on the same thing, from opposite positions.

You should NOT seek any 'professional' help, ever. Unless you suffer from REAL disorders, ie, the traditional ones, which all have physiological origin.

As for your 'insult' part:
Ppl have always insulted individuals and groups. It is human nature. We put on a pedastal what we admire and we shove in the sewer what we dislike. You do too.

Accept that and move on.
Do not expect any sympathy for your 'condition', bc you do not deserve any. If anything, choosing to be a victim, takes care away from the ppl that actually are victims...

This era of false victimhood is rapidly coming to an end. At which time ppl having chosen that path will quickly wish they hadnt. Even if none of it was your fault...

Rely on your family. Always. You may not like them. You may not agree with them. But i assure you, they will care more for you than any social worker or psychologist. Who get payed to say what you (think you) want to hear...
In other words, the determinations all overlap and the reasons for their existance clearly lies outside the person, ie in society.

You're an interesting blip in the universe, I suppose you deem all progress in research and their labels to be this way?
Otherwise I am extremely baffled over how you've sincerely missed the reasons of new diagnoses "popping up".
I swear you never see a forum with more old crusty !@# out of touch dudes than on blizzard forums talking about online fads or the latest insult. Do any of you use the internet outside of WoW? Seriously.