What is all the negative remarks about autism?

General
Prev 1 2 3 4 9 Next
"i am not offended let me just write an essay about how not offended i am"
The only thing you need to know about internet slang is that you dont have to care. Just like in real life.
06/10/2018 18:38Posted by Oer

Rely on your family. Always. You may not like them. You may not agree with them. But i assure you, they will care more for you than any social worker or psychologist. Who get payed to say what you (think you) want to hear...

I guess I must have imagined it when my daughter didn't babble,crawl or walk till late couldn't control her toileting, and couldn't say a single word for the first 5 years of her life. She was diagnosed age 2 and was in full-time education in a school for those only with a statement - my heart broke watching my little girl go each day not being able to explain where she was going.. they worked wonders along with the work we did at home - like making pictures of everything, she couldn't even point to ask for things she wanted.. so I took her hand and had pictures of everything everywhere.

Then the day came when her first word came.. and she made slow progress.. then one day we realised she could read a lot more than she could say, and how she solves maths problems is very unique but also amazing.

She starts high school next year, and I am so proud of her. Without the early intervention I do not feel she would have made so much progress.

So I am eternally grateful to those professionals who helped and still help her.
06/10/2018 18:38Posted by Oer
Asperger does not exist.
Its one of the many recently added 'disorders', most in DSM4, that are not linked to anything IN the physiology of the person. In other words, the determinations all overlap and the reasons for their existance clearly lies outside the person, ie in society.

All of these were added in the last 30 years and most first recognized in DSM4;
Annorexia
Bulimia
Asperger
Adhd
Ocd
etc etc.

They are the proof of western society being sick. Specially if you compare to other non-western societies that in many cases have none of these illnesses. As the west did not have them.
This excludes genetic source (although links for anything can always be found, which proves nothing at all, unless they are causal). It excludes pathogens. Only leaves environmental, more specifically; western society.

One of the many reasons for this origin and increase (which started in the US), is that being a victim has become a value. That in itself is sick. It also stimulates any person to accept eagerly any diagnoses, bc it includes benefits.
This entire phenomenon was driven by feminism. I will not expand on that.

The main writer for DSM4, Dr Frances, was also asked to write for DSM5, which expanded even more on amount of disorders.
The situation for DSM was already such that more than 50% of ppl of any western country could be diagnosed a disorder, according to version 4. For DSM5 this would even increase.
Many ppl outside the field has already started to complain about this, bc it is illogical; If more than 50% of ppl can be diagnosed with a disorder, it is more normal to have a disorder than it is to not have a disorder...

Dr Frances therefor did not participate in DSM5, but wrote a new book about it, acknowledging this fallacy. Thus making money twice on the same thing, from opposite positions.

You should NOT seek any 'professional' help, ever. Unless you suffer from REAL disorders, ie, the traditional ones, which all have physiological origin.

As for your 'insult' part:
Ppl have always insulted individuals and groups. It is human nature. We put on a pedastal what we admire and we shove in the sewer what we dislike. You do too.

Accept that and move on.
Do not expect any sympathy for your 'condition', bc you do not deserve any. If anything, choosing to be a victim, takes care away from the ppl that actually are victims...

This era of false victimhood is rapidly coming to an end. At which time ppl having chosen that path will quickly wish they hadnt. Even if none of it was your fault...

Rely on your family. Always. You may not like them. You may not agree with them. But i assure you, they will care more for you than any social worker or psychologist. Who get payed to say what you (think you) want to hear...

So many words, yet I can sum it up in 1: b***s***.

Those disorders do exist but due to the way DSM V groups disorders into spectra instead of individual disorders, the names have changed. Aspergers disorder (wich I btw have) for instance is now named under Autism Spectrum Disorder. That that is like saying a patient with lung cancer has 'cancer', while a patient with melanoma skin cancer also has 'cancer', is 1 reason amongst quite a few why the DSM has been getting very negative critique from psychiatrists in the last few years.
And that because people get the wrong help because of this issue. It is like giving a lung cancer patient the generalised 'cancer' diagnosis and then go treat him/her with a skin cancer treatment.

And if you think that 'victemhood' can be profitted off, and that people can be cured with just 'family love' means you are in dire need of a reality check because thats so rediculous it is close to insanity. Its like the idea that a gay person can and must pray to become straight.

And this is way worse then calling a person 'autistic'; atleast people do not get actual trauma from that, while plenty of people who do not go to a psychiatrist or do not get the right diagnosis end up with massive problems.
Psychiatry isnt a science btw.
06/10/2018 19:23Posted by Noragrets

You are posting on the wrong character; it should be a Troll, not a Forsaken.
06/10/2018 01:25Posted by Mussy
Hi there. It might not come as a surprise to people by the title that I am diagnosed with autism. And from that perspective it made me wonder why I see people mentioning autism from time to time as a kind of insulting remark.

To people who aren't aware of the traits of autism: Autism is a spectrum, from all the way to the "Rainman people" who can't even manage their own lifes to seemingly normal people who just happen to have enough traits to get a diagnose.

Common traits are uneasyness in social situations, unable to understand non-verbal communication, high intelligence, ability to learn certain artistic traits on a higher level, lack of ability to understand empathy, usually good with mathematics, struggles with sarcasm and irony, like to do the same thing over and over, obsessive about structure and order. There are many more things but these are the basic ones.

I am not "offended" by the autism remarks, I am genuinly curious about why the term is used as negative remark from time to time. Is there an autistic person who did something horrible I am not aware about? Because that would make sense.

Ty! :)

I like playing games like Warcraft cus for a few hours it lets me forget. Behind the veil nobody can see my true self. I can escape. I would never like ever disclose my real life issues cus it would fracture the dream. And so as those around me blurt out quite insulting nonsense that could at times be very hurtful, I choose to view my character as the perfect specimen and just let it wash over me.

Its a fantasy game and whilst down the rabbit hole nothing really matters, nothing really matters ... at all.
06/10/2018 19:31Posted by Mirun
06/10/2018 19:23Posted by Noragrets

Are you insinuating that I am somehow wrong?
Hi there. It might not come as a surprise to people by the title that I am diagnosed with autism. And from that perspective it made me wonder why I see people mentioning autism from time to time as a kind of insulting remark.

To people who aren't aware of the traits of autism: Autism is a spectrum, from all the way to the "Rainman people" who can't even manage their own lifes to seemingly normal people who just happen to have enough traits to get a diagnose.

Common traits are uneasyness in social situations, unable to understand non-verbal communication, high intelligence, ability to learn certain artistic traits on a higher level, lack of ability to understand empathy, usually good with mathematics, struggles with sarcasm and irony, like to do the same thing over and over, obsessive about structure and order. There are many more things but these are the basic ones.

I am not "offended" by the autism remarks, I am genuinly curious about why the term is used as negative remark from time to time. Is there an autistic person who did something horrible I am not aware about? Because that would make sense.

Ty! :)

Insecure people tend to be offended by anything that shows their vulnerability and weaknesses ... just treat them the way they deserve, ignorance.
The same way people use gay or calling someone a girl as a insult, its low brow attempts to be funny or witty.
Figured some would be 'hurt' by my words, but those are the ppl that are 'hurt' by anything, so its not relevant.
So is your critique btw, which has no basis at all. I was pointing out FACTS. You can discuss if those facts are correct, but you cannot dismiss facts with some personal example of .. bla.

The reason you react this way is bc you feel an attack against your 'disease' is an attack against you. In other words, the identity you have is fully integrated with the 'disease' you supposedly have. It IS your identity now. Hi, im Annorexia. Hi, im Asperger. Pleased to meet you...

No you are not special. Yes, to your parents you are special, to your children, maybe to your spous, but to none else.
Learn to deal with life, b4 it jumps up and bites you.
06/10/2018 20:35Posted by Koradan
The same way people use gay or calling someone a girl as a insult, its low brow attempts to be funny or witty.

No, its not to be funny or witty.
These determinations are found in all cultures and in all groups. They are there for group moral position and ultimately group survival.
#offended
I like to point out one thing the autism spectrum applies to all people every one has to a degree.
06/10/2018 20:43Posted by Oer
06/10/2018 20:35Posted by Koradan
...The same way people use gay or calling someone a girl as a insult, its low brow attempts to be funny or witty.

These determinations are found in all cultures and in all groups. They are there for group moral position and ultimately group survival.
you attempts to sound smart are only coming across as idiotic, how is using gay or girl or retard at from of group survival?
They are low bow attempts to be funny witty or to fit in by demeaning others which only show a desperation to be liked by masses most of witch will not know or even remember you made said remark.
Those who you attack or demean however can remember it for a long time.
06/10/2018 20:52Posted by Mortheria
I like to point out one thing the autism spectrum applies to all people every one has to a degree.

I’m not....but thanks anyway
06/10/2018 20:54Posted by Koradan
06/10/2018 20:43Posted by Oer

you attempts to sound smart are only coming across as idiotic, how is using gay or girl or retard at from of group survival?
They are low bow attempts to be funny witty or to fit in by demeaning others which only show a desperation to be liked by masses most of witch will not know or even remember you made said remark.
Those who you attack or demean however can remember it for a long time.

And you expect me to explain it further now?

Who do you think i am, your bro down the street?
Idiot.
Is there an autistic person who did something horrible I am not aware about? Because that would make sense.

There probably has been somewhere around the world.

But that's beside the point in your post.
06/10/2018 01:46Posted by Shopkeeper
Just hive mind behaviour from edgy internauts.

Nailed it. Just do what I do OP and treat them with the "aww bless you think you're cool"...
06/10/2018 20:27Posted by Noragrets
06/10/2018 19:31Posted by Mirun

Are you insinuating that I am somehow wrong?

Nothing to insinuate against a trollpost.
Psychiatry is as much a science as any medicalproffession is.
Dare to show me any credible source stating it isn't?
06/10/2018 20:55Posted by Iggwilv
06/10/2018 20:52Posted by Mortheria

I’m not....but thanks anyway

Yes, you do.

That was part of the elaborate first reply i typed here. It is the reason why current psychiatry has blown itself up, bc it declared everyone sick.

And that is also the reason i have been challenging psychiatry for 30 years; it only tried to describe 'disorders', but they totally lack any and all determination of what normal behavior is in differing circumstances.
And that is the great task psychiatry has.

Current psychiatry is dead, except for the traditional (physical-based) disorders.

But as some-else correctly said here; Psychiatry is NOT a science, as most modern human/gamma studies arent. So they all mess HUGE. That would be fine if it had little to no impact on societies as a whole, but since ww2 they have gained a significant impact on societies and wrecked them even.
And that is the reason this will all be reverted. It cannot be any other way.

But err, according to the DSM, you have 'traits' of an autistic disorder. Together with other personality traits (bc that is what these are), you will surely fit nicely into a specific disorder. Congratulations! ;]