What is all the negative remarks about autism?

General
Prev 1 6 7 8 9 Next
07/10/2018 04:17Posted by Oer
07/10/2018 02:43Posted by Tubri
Well, this thread certainly went places. Gotta say it is rather amusing to see, if at the same time a little alarming/upsetting what kind of nonsense is being typed. Especially the parts where people try to be pseudo-intellectuals with long-winded speeches. Nothing against longer posts, but good lord. Have some mercy.

Have the nerve and decency to direct it to the person and not talk behind their backs, you autistic pos.

No argument anywhere, just attitude, putting yourself on a pedastal. (bc the other is pseudo-intellectual)

07/10/2018 02:43Posted by Tubri
Just.. Don't put me on any pedestals, please.

Why would anyone? You are up high enough as is, or at least, you consider yourself there. Oh wait, you hate pedastals... thats odd!

I have my credentials. But hey, thats not relevant is it? Argumentum ad verecundiam.
So again, have some decency kid. Learn some manners, bc i couldnt care less about your so called 'autism'. To me, you are just another stupid kid.

I think you mentioned earlier that there is no such thing as autism or something in that direction, and every trait of it influenced by external factors.

Question: What about biological traits which are there from birth? For example, I am sensitivte to light and sound, temperatures and have very bad body motor functions, I can't play soccer or any team sport.

How do this traits which are pretty common among autistic people manifest themselves by environmental factors?
Feels like you guys are getting a little too in depth in why this is a thing.
Most of the people saying it don't even know what autistic means, it's just a word to them like calling someone an idiot.

Next year it will be some other word they use that gets popular, what is the point in even bothering caring about it?
07/10/2018 03:12Posted by Zanmarea
There are a lot of people who ten or fifteen years ago would have just been classified as !@#$ holes, or jerks or whatever version of 'person whom is irritating to be around' you care to name.

Then said people started self diagnosing as Autistic, and everyone was supposed to nod their heads emphatically and just let them get away with being an %^-* hole.

"This person who keeps going back to a subject that you all agreed to drop, again and again, insisting they are right due to some obscure take on it? He's not an !@#$ hole, you can't be mad at him, can't dislike him, you've got to tolerate it, he's Autistic."

That is where the word being used as an insult comes from, in my experience.

Wait, are you discribing people who missuse the word "autistic" due to being clueless what autism is, as an insult as being "autistic"? (their version that is, not the real life disorder)

Seeing as you are stating that an "autist" is: an a-hole/jerk who is annoying to be around with; and a person like that is exactly the type of person you discribe as the type of person trying to offend people with stating that people are "autistic".

Basically, what you are saying is that the pot calls the kettle black. Eventhough that might go over your head.
It's not like people on the internet care what autistic people think. It's such a widespread word that it's going to get used anyway. That's basically why it's used, because everyone else uses it as well.
why is this thread still here?
07/10/2018 04:37Posted by Uldurin
Most of the people saying it don't even know what autistic means

But they know different when they see it.

So its not about the word, its about tolerance or lack thereof.

Some people are visibly uncomfortable around different, others lack of tolerance can be classified as Hate and those people get defined in the dictionary.

Being defensive around different is Natural, being proactive around it is very Dangerous.

Calling someone autistic in terms of it being an insult shows a lack of maturity, there is no filter in between that person's brain and their mouth.

If autistic defines the Majority it wouldn't be used as a insult, its only what defines the Minority that does.

Which is why calling someone autistic that is actually autistic, isn't viewed as an insult by the Majority, its only when you refer to them as such, is when its viewed by them as an insult.
07/10/2018 09:10Posted by Bukachu
why is this thread still here?
Seems like people replying to it. I got my answer long time ago.
06/10/2018 02:18Posted by Tubri
I like to think to myself that people who go "Urgh ur autistic" or whatever, are as a matter of fact either.. Terrified of people with those traits because it may happen that they're inferior compared to them, or that they just think "Mental quirks? That must mean they're subhuman!" Both being rather ridiculous in the grand scope of things. Honestly I find it to be the only logical explanation.

Anyway, moving on...

As someone diagnosed with it, may I add a few things? As I feel that some things aren't exactly correct (Or at least, I feel they aren't from my point of view).

06/10/2018 01:25Posted by Mussy
Autism is a spectrum, from all the way to the "Rainman people" who can't even manage their own lifes to seemingly normal people who just happen to have enough traits to get a diagnose.

This is generally true. I've met some who either acted like animals, talked far too much to the point they were wasting words, or were just quiet and were more thoughtful. I tend to be on the thoughtful side of things.

Common traits are uneasyness in social situations

Pretty much. Don't exactly feel all that savvy when having confrontations.

unable to understand non-verbal communication

Sometimes people really are not clear with what they're trying to say.

high intelligence

Depends on the individual, and how much someone is nurtured in an enviroment. I can safely say that it took about until the third year in middle school for my grades to spike up in to the great positives. Before that I was more or less struggling.

ability to learn certain artistic traits on a higher level

Well, a classmate of mine was a real big fan of drawing stuff, and I like writing, so I guess that part is true.

lack of ability to understand empathy

As someone who is often told that has too much empathy, I strongly disagree with this part. As it is for everything else, it strongly depends on the person's quirks more than anything. Some may lack empathy, others may be swimming in it.

usually good with mathematics

Only good with geometry, sorry.

struggles with sarcasm and irony

This I can confirm. Although let's be honest, sometimes it's hard to understand that via text.

obsessive about structure and order

Heh, I actually sometimes reorganize a few things in stores, just because I find some things not fitting on a shelve or otherwise.

Is there an autistic person who did something horrible I am not aware about? Because that would make sense.

Aye: They probably noticed that people within the spectrum are a whole lot better at some of the more mundane things, or can be more considerate, or you know, just generally decent folk with a few mild quirks, and that terrifies people who deem themselves as "Perfectly normal".

These are parts of the spectrum. Not everyone have all of the above.
07/10/2018 04:33Posted by Mussy
I think you mentioned earlier that there is no such thing as autism or something in that direction, and every trait of it influenced by external factors.

Question: What about biological traits which are there from birth? For example, I am sensitivte to light and sound, temperatures and have very bad body motor functions, I can't play soccer or any team sport.

How do this traits which are pretty common among autistic people manifest themselves by environmental factors?

No, i didnt say there is no autism. I said there is no asperger. I used it in that reaction bc it was fun, to me.
And i said its external factors for all the newly added disorders, so incl asperger.

About your Q:
Those traits are partly due to the main aspect autism has as a symptom; a lack of communication with others and an overload on their brain. This immediately results in isolation. Which in turn leads to bad motor function, bc most movement is invoked by others. (light, sound and temp sensitivity are not symptoms of asperger). The bad motor function is also not very common for asperger, but i believe they were in the cluster asperger first described.
As i said, it is a direct result of not seeking or even disliking company and thus also peer pressure/competativeness, which are part of all sports. Not doing sports, makes you bad at sports. And vice versa.

The external factor for this (mind you; solely talking about asperger), is a rapidly changing society, a faster/more hectic society, a society that continuously seeks your attention with lights and sounds, etc.
And then mothers who more often raise chidren alone and not stimulating specific personality traits and activities and telling children they are perfect as they are. Men are needed in raising children, specially boys. And vice versa.

Among other things... bc it is quite big.
07/10/2018 10:53Posted by Oer
mothers who more often raise chidren alone and not stimulating specific personality traits and activities and telling children they are perfect as they are. Men are needed in raising children, specially boys.

Holy moly on a stick is this guy full of himself and in his own little world. I ran out of popcorn, toodles.
Autistic became the new retarded quite a few years ago, it's not a new thing, i don't think it's widespread either... just a minority using it as an insult, just like retarded was used as an insult for so many years and still is.

It's not like it's about genuine intolerance against those afflicted with autism, it's used purely out of ignorance.
07/10/2018 11:38Posted by Nimrhys
Holy moly on a stick is this guy full of himself and in his own little world. I ran out of popcorn, toodles.

Ofc.. throw some more dirt on me, without adding any argument. By all means, stick to your idiotic pc lies.
I do not live in 'my own little world' kid. But ofc you will not seek any debate, bc you know you'll lose. Feminism was a lie from the start. Women in the west were never oppressed by men. And they had their own power. Now they have double the power, which is why the west is on the brink of collapse.
Your pc views are already outdated. Feminism is dead. Globalism is dead. There is no saving it and as a cherry on top; it is your own doing.
Since villages grew city states women have been oppressed. Matriarchal societies have been eradicated by what has grown into old world monotheisms. This is where autism came in. The generic bottleneck grew into an appreciated emotional bottleneck. Guillable believers, guillable killers. Bred a tool to genocide.
Have the nerve and decency to direct it to the person and not talk behind their backs, you autistic pos.

Looks like I struck a nerve, seeing as I had the audacity to call out some people trying to be pseudo-intellectuals.

Which means: You aren't the only one trying to be a pseudo-intellectual, even though you're about the only one making long-winded posts and reacting to people by looking down on them, and the one difference between you and the others is that they don't act like students in psychology who think they're better than everyone else and that they know more than everyone else.

Probably shouldn't have justified your first paragraph with a response (Or justify your very existence with a response), but I find people inflating like a pufferfish, trying to be big and mighty to be rather amusing.

No argument anywhere, just attitude

This isn't a thread on a forum of serious discussion about mentalities and such. So I don't see any reason to have arguments for every single syllable that you constructed. Besides, you don't exactly show many arguments against what I said, and are just having an attitude.

putting yourself on a pedastal. (bc the other is pseudo-intellectual)

Why would anyone? You are up high enough as is, or at least, you consider yourself there. Oh wait, you hate pedastals... thats odd!

There's a mighty fine difference between putting someone on a pedestal/being on a pedestal, and in general having an opinion that views certain things unfavorably. Sad that through your long-winded speeches you can't understand that one.

I have my credentials.

Show me the receipts.

But hey, thats not relevant is it?

I don't think anyone ultimately cares about what your super-serious credentials are, when you act like a jerk towards people who happen to disagree with you, or look at your threads and think to themselves "This guy's a bit full of himself, ain't he?"

Argumentum ad verecundiam.

This is what I am talking about: Using latin words, or abbreviations or just in general speaking in a tone of self-satisfaction. In B-Four "You are doing the same thing": I at least don't act high and mighty against people as a standard, only when someone needs to get some humility smacked on to them.

have some decency kid.

Funny. I could say the same thing to you. My comparison between you and a pompous psychology student does not sound all that unfounded when you read stuff like this.

Learn some manners

Again, could say the same thing for you.

bc i couldnt care less about your so called 'autism'. To me, you are just another stupid kid.

And you're someone who thinks they're hot !@#$ in a champagne glass, when they're really cold diarrhea in a dixie cup.

07/10/2018 11:38Posted by Nimrhys

And I just spent more time than needed replying to this buffoon. Time well spent? Not sure, probably.
Because 70 % of the internet consists of 12 year old edgelord kids. Sorry but if you ever use autism in a demeaning manner you're automatically disqualifying yourself from having an IQ above double digits.
07/10/2018 13:34Posted by Oer
ofc you will not seek any debate

I'll debate you.
Feminism was a lie from the start.

What openly wanting equal rights for women whilst privately, to you, they said otherwise?....I don't get it, how was it a lie?
they have double the power, which is why the west is on the brink of collapse.

We need specifics, what exactly (in your mind) are women doing to cause the west to be on the brink of collapse.

And don't hold back, we're all family here.
07/10/2018 11:34Posted by Canabal
07/10/2018 10:53Posted by Oer
mothers who more often raise chidren alone and not stimulating specific personality traits and activities and telling children they are perfect as they are. Men are needed in raising children, specially boys.

Its ok Oer lives in the stoneage you should have seen his posts about bi/pan/gay/lesbian people couple weeks ago shocking to see and im amazed he isnt perma banned.
06/10/2018 02:33Posted by Midnightfist
Back in the 90s the "in" term to insult people with was "gay" or "fag" or "!@#$", now it's "autism". I'll bet in another 10 years time it will be something else. There is no logic to it, no real meaning behind it, it's just something some people feel the need to do. Does it make it right? Absolutely not. Unfortunately we can't stop people from talking like that on the internet where there is zero accountability and %^-*!@#s can hide behind anonymity.

The sad fact of the matter is that people have a tendency of lashing out at anything they don't understand, and autism is still largely a mystery, surrounded by stigma and misunderstanding.
we are still using the same insults u mentioned.
07/10/2018 04:09Posted by Oer
07/10/2018 02:34Posted by Joblob
I'm sure you are proud of your 'hardness' and your 'edginess' but tbh you're just another tinterweb dweeb trying to appear bigger online than you are IRL. There are no tears in this thread. No sobbing or crying. No pain or despair. Just simply a case of some people being morons Vs some people not being morons.
P.S. Be careful not to cut yourself.

Oh hush it.
Your explanation was wrong and your position is wrong.
If you had cared to read up, for instance in this thread, you might have learned a few things.

The person you replied to was right. It was blunt maybe, but 100 % correct.
Deal with it.

Your OPINION does not make mine wrong.
STOP making stuff up just to seek attention.