Balance - Fix last talent row, especially New Moon

Druid
Let's talk about last talent row that I'm hoping Blizzard will change in 8.1, possibly 8.2...

1) Shooting Stars - Moonfire/Sunfire spells have a random chance to cause extra damage and generate 4 astral power.

This isn't fun, RNG stuff with DoTs is not fun (unless your class gameplay focuses mainly on DoTs). It's uninspired and people take it in PvE, sometimes PvP (especially in 3s), because it's the best DPS talent in the row. Why is a random generated DoT proc the best talent choice? It takes no skill to use this, you don't even pay attention to it and you benefit from it more than other talents.

I don't have to worry about anything when it comes to this talent, it's promoting less stuff to do while praising you with higher DPS compared to the other ones.
And I understand that when it comes to situations like the G'huun fight it's awesome to take it, and I agree, but when it comes to a single target fight, why is it still better than New Moon talent? That just isn't right.

If we want extra DPS on DoTs, then give Starfall some damage boost on DoTs while it lasts, like in Legion (but don't remove Moonfire/Sunfire damage boost from mastery). It doesn't have to give astral power but it's more controlled by the player this way, rather than RNG that is Shooting Stars.

And another thing, resource generation shouldn't be RNG. It's promoting inconsistent DPS rotations, and of course some will say : "But it's only 4 astral power, what does it matter anyway. It can't really ruin your astral power management, etc..."
But I, as a player, want to know when I gain my resource, it's only fair.

Fury of Elune gives 5 astral per second up to 8 seconds for a total of 40 astral power, manageable
New Moon --> Half Moon --> Full Moon gives 10/20/40 respectively, also manageable.
Shooting Stars gives 4 astral power at a random time in a random interval on a random proc.

Change it, rework it, don't nerf/buff it because it won't fix its problems, it's still going to be RNG resource/damage proc.

2) Fury of Elune - Beam that deals AoE damage over 8 seconds while generating 40 astral power over it's duration. 1 minute cooldown.

Now this talent is more fun. It's not RNG, it's manageable, it provides decent DPS in mythic+ and it's almost on par with Shooting Stars.
When it comes to DPS with 1-2 targets, Shooting Stars is still stronger, but if there are multiple targets stacked Fury of Elune is amazing.
The only thing you have to worry about when it comes to this talent is when to use it for cleave or for single target burst and that is for the player to decide which is a big plus.

It gives plenty enough of astral power over it's duration. You can set up your Starsurge in advance, you can coordinate better with yourself, it actually feels good using it and it has an amazing visual as a cherry on top. You know exactly everything what's happening with your resource while this skill is active.

On a totally different note, the only problem I have with FoE is that sometimes it switches targets in PvP for unknown reason. (Maybe in PvE also, but I didn't notice it) For example : If an X and Y player are stacked together, and you use FoE on the X player, sometimes it transfers to the Y player for no reason. And I don't mean in situations where the X player dashes/blinks/teleports away, but just walking away can cause FoE to get confused and switch targets. Also to add that it doesn't switch targets manually, meaning if you cast it on X target and start attacking Y it will not transfer to Y.

It's a good talent/skill don't change it, maybe increase its movement speed by 10% and fix the random target switching.

3) New Moon talent :

New Moon - Deals a small amount of damage, generates 10 astral and transforms into Half Moon. Base cast time : 1 second
Half Moon - Deals a medium amount of damage, generates 20 astral and transforms into Full Moon. Base cast time : 2 seconds
Full Moon - Deals a large amount of damage (small AoE damage also), generates 40 astral and resets to New Moon. Base cast time : 3 seconds
Recharge time : 25 seconds / 3 Charges max

This skill is why I started playing Balance druid again in Legion. It's extremely fun to use, it's very very unique in WoW and the visual is 10/10.
It was amazing in Legion, and since the start of BFA, its damage was nerfed and the recharge time from 15 sec to 25 sec.

Now, the damage nerf is alright, it's not the main issue. It hits for 200% Starsurge now (that's calculated including the whole rotation of spells, not just Full Moon). The main issue this spell has now that it's still slow in cast time, slower in recharging, overall it just ruins Balance's damage per second.

In order to fix this talent, its damage needs to go way up high to be on par with the other two (which is not recommended due to PvP reasons) or just revert the recharge time to 15 seconds and lower the cast time of Half Moon to 1.8 sec cast instead of 2 and Full Moon to 2.5-2.6 cast instead of 3 and also remove Full Moon AoE damage because it's not supposed to be that kind of spell (or just reduce it to like 20% splash).
Everyone will then consider using this talent again.

Someone will probably say that the base damage of this talent is way way higher than the other two, and you are right, BUT you'll be able to cast other spells with Shooting Stars / Fury of Elune, meaning you will do more things : beam, root, typhoon, stun, renew DoTs, use wrath/lunar, heal, use defensive CDs, dodge boss mechanics, etc... New Moon does not make you flexible in that way, and that's its down side and it's a good and a reasonable down side.

Astral power generation is amazing and on point with this talent, it gives a total of 70 astral power and it makes sure you'll get at least 1 Starsurge from it, which once again urges you to take it in a single target fight, or even provide a Starfall if it's required.
You have full control of it, you know when you'll cast it and you know how much resource will you get from it.

I've seen some people complain about not fitting in Balance's play style due Eclipse passive eliminating empowerment problems therefore fixing the lack of Astral Power we had in Legion, but once again we have to rely on a 20% RNG proc from another spell, it's annoying. Who even loves that system?

I'm not saying remove it, I'm only saying that it's not FUN. It's not FUN HOPING I get an empowerment, it's not FUN HOPING that Shooting Stars will proc. It's not FUN!

Don't force it to become the best talent choice, just make it viable for the people, including myself, to once again use this spell without feeling guilty for not picking Shooting Stars or FoE for bigger DPS numbers (especially in a single target fight).

Please add something in case I missed anything.
I admit, I'm biased towards the New Moon talent but it is one of the few skills that made me play the class just because how amazing the skill is.
I don't hate RNG stuff, I hate when RNG stuff is way superior than everything else and when it controls how I play my class (which is not a DoT oriented class)

Tl;dr is the title.
Shoting star generation should be baseline, not the dmg, the generation from dots. And replace with a more fun spell ! Like a giganter sun aoe splash dmg! Like meteor fire mage spell , but a sun or a star falling down
06/11/2018 18:15Posted by Boneblaster
Shoting star generation should be baseline, not the dmg, the generation from dots. And replace with a more fun spell ! Like a giganter sun aoe splash dmg! Like meteor fire mage spell , but a sun or a star falling down

More seriously speaking, if they could just bring back Moon Moon and make it baseline again it'd solve a lot of boomies's struggle in ST. They should never have made it into a talent.
Have only been playing boomie and druid in general for 6 ish months i think. So I cant speak about previous incarnations of the talent tree just from what it is now.

Fury of Elune I love, looks awesome does nice aoe and generates quite a lot of ap. Personally I think FoE is fine as is.

New Moon is meh, feels clunky and really takes the zap out of the play style imo. Right now boomie feels fast, great up time and extremely versatile. New Moon is like carrying an anchor around your ankle.

Shooting stars is fairly meh too, not as bad as New Moon though. Its one of those talents you take and never think about it again. Which is bad really, I feel every talent should at least change your game play up a bit, make it different somehow.
Shooting stars, to me at least, doesn't change anything except you maybe get an extra starsurge out every so often - which at a loss of FoE and 'fun' game play just doesn't make it justifiable.

With all that said, I do find myself changing between FoE and SS on a few boss fights in Uldir at the moment. Mainly for the AoE on certain bosses which favour them. So far in BFA I have yet to use New Moon.

For a last talent row it is actually pretty bad. Since I started playing the game, the last talent row should be the top shelf, high game play changing exotic ability/skills which make you noteworthy in game.
06/11/2018 18:15Posted by Boneblaster
Like a giganter sun aoe splash dmg!

Just make a glyph for Full Moon to have a solar version (or have a 50% chance with each cast), that would be awesome.

07/11/2018 00:23Posted by Slugtrail
New Moon is like carrying an anchor around your ankle.

Exactly, that's why it's a player's choice to take this spell, and why it's good that it's a talent choice, not baseline. This way people will want that anchor attached to them, to feel slower a bit but they should be rewarded by the outcome, since anchors should hit hard (Sea giants approve). It's promoting a different play style.

I want my BOOM in Boomie back :)
Can't say i know too much about the details of boomkin, but I do agree fully that RNG resource generation is real stupid.
07/11/2018 08:52Posted by Moonlightmoo
Exactly, that's why it's a player's choice to take this spell, and why it's good that it's a talent choice, not baseline. This way people will want that anchor attached to them, to feel slower a bit but they should be rewarded by the outcome, since anchors should hit hard (Sea giants approve). It's promoting a different play style.

I want my BOOM in Boomie back :)

Yeah thats a good point, didn't see it that way.