Necromancer playable Class, why not?

Story
I am justo going ahead and say it. This game is filled already with similarities. Outlaw Rogue-Survival Hunter. Rogue and Monks. Priests and Palas. Frost Mage-Frost DK. Fire Mage and Infernal Warlock. Restoration Shaman and Druid. And everyone favorite, Warlock-Demon Hunter. All this class shares at least one skill with each other, up to the literally share the same name of the specialization. They hardly have the same game play though, but it is similar. But they are all unique its own way, due to the fact that they fell slightly different.

As someone said, « Anything that's the "something" of the "something" isn't really the "anything" of "anything"».

Now, with that out of the way, I still want point out a couple of things.

There are several other classes that deals with a couple of DoTs, besides Affliction Locks, so what's the problem of having another one?

Necromancers should use Mail, due to the fact their armor is coated with bones, unlike cloth wearer Locks and full armored plate "undead warriors" aka Knights of Death aka Death Knights.

Necromancers do not use runes nor runic powers. They are not rune masters. Therefore, their rotation and skill sets would feel most different from Unholy Death Knights, specially from Death Knights on general. They could use their life as a fuel to spells or even essence rather than mana too. Just a thought. It could also vary due to the specialization.

If Necromancers would be so "redundant" they wouldn't even have their background lore inside of the Warcraft universe itself. They would be called other things. Maybe even Warlocks themselves, but that's not the case. Fortunately.

Even if you don't like the class idea, which is fine, we are all humans, we have our own tastes, you shouldn't be a d*ck about it and ruin it for other players. Even your "desires" has flaws. Examples. Tide Sage = Restoration Shaman + Frost Mage. Tinker = Engineering up-grade. "Dragon Knight" = Warrior + Fire Mage/Infernal Warlock. Pirate = Rogue + Outlaw Rogue. Bard = sadness + depression. So why not Necromancers?

Besides, there is a lot of fantasy inside the Warcraft Universe that wasn't pick by any of the classes so far. Blood Mages, Witch Doctors, "Dark/Black" Mages (shadow arts and/or Arcane corruption), Apothecary and maybe a few more, but with this three/four "fantasy" can easily fit on the Necromancer role, and thus making the class its own thing, without stealing anything from Warlocks and Dk.

And finally, if Not Necromancers, then why Locks don't have glyphs already, and why DK carries 2-handed weapons, rune master and can only summon ghouls/small undead variation that they are "weak/dumb" cause they are not "intelligent" enough to carry a bloody weapon (besides "All Will Serve" talent) and wears plate, if not to open a window for the Necromancer!

And mostly, don't forget that it was the OLD Blizzard CEO that "abandoned" the Necromancer case to replace it with Death Knights. That was soo long ago, as they said on Warlords, "Times change". You say it was the "worst" expansion so fare, but the truth is there. Times changes, and we either change with it, or be forsaken in time.

At last, Gunther Arcanus is still there on Tirisfal Glade. Even after the... "incident". The quest line was removed long ago, but he is still there. So, we are not finished with this concept yet.
12/10/2018 11:07Posted by Nekroironjaw
Bard = sadness + depression

This is hilarious.
I don't think anyone else than forsaken would accept necromancers in their society. Especially since (I'd say it's safe to assume) most races despise what Sylvanas is doing.
12/10/2018 11:15Posted by Eldarion
I don't think anyone else than forsaken would accept necromancers in their society. Especially since (I'd say it's safe to assume) most races despise what Sylvanas is doing.

Also, forsaken lore specifically states that necromancers are extremely rare outside of cult of the damned and are given priority to be recruited into Forsaken ranks. We search Gunther not because he's a lich, but because he's a necromancer.

It's safe to assume that pretty much all the non-LK affiliated necromancers are recruited by Sylvanas at this point. And even that wasn't enough.

If we speak of gameplay (On story forum, lol)
You have Death Knights that essentialy fulfill the melee necromancer role.
Also do you have a Warlock?
If you want Necromancer to be master of undead, like in diablo, just give Demonology warlock a try.
I assure you, you will stop wishing for a necromancer with this kind of pathing and AI problems (That we had literally for years). Assume that classical Necromancer summons mostly melee minions and we just made problem worse.

The only way i see it working is DK getting a new, ranged spec. And that would be a nightmare to balance.
Unholy Death Knight are the playable necromancers.
Years ago, on the old forums, I made a post in the suggestions forum (which was visited by blues back then, hard to imagine these days) to give us race specific classes.
Sentinels, Mountain Kings, Spellbreaker etc. I guess Necromancer could be the Forsaken one, considering no other race wants them (maybe goblins though).
I'd still love that but these days I'd rather have them bring back variety and fix the excisting classes before making new ones.
12/10/2018 14:24Posted by Cyndane
o give us race specific classes.
Sentinels, Mountain Kings, Spellbreaker etc. I guess Necromancer could be the Forsaken one

I would love that... I would play a sentinel the moment it is avalable, and a spell breaker, and raider, necromancer, hyppogrifrider...on second thought... maybe it is better they didnt do that or I would have no life left...
12/10/2018 14:26Posted by Xiaopaw
o give us race specific classes.
Sentinels, Mountain Kings, Spellbreaker etc. I guess Necromancer could be the Forsaken one

I would love that... I would play a sentinel the moment it is avalable, and a spell breaker, and raider, necromancer, hyppogrifrider...on second thought... maybe it is better they didnt do that or I would have no life left...

For Pandas, there would be a Chef class. With Nomi as the only teacher.
Years ago, on the old forums, I made a post in the suggestions forum (which was visited by blues back then, hard to imagine these days) to give us race specific classes.
Sentinels, Mountain Kings, Spellbreaker etc. I guess Necromancer could be the Forsaken one, considering no other race wants them (maybe goblins though).
I'd still love that but these days I'd rather have them bring back variety and fix the excisting classes before making new ones.

I think I read that post. Or if not, a quite similar one. I really loved the idea, though it's true that if Blizzard cannot balance 12 classes, to add even more would be crazy.
Still a man can dream...

OT, I think Necromancer could find a spot into the game without too much of a strecht. On lore, this expansion is giving a lot of importance to the Shadowlands, tieing both factions to them, either with the Drustvar or with Bwomsamd. So at least for me it wouldn't be so difficult to push the idea of Alliance and Horde needing to delve into the death magics to fight the dangers that dwell in the Shadowlands. Let's be honest, Blizzard has done worse things to the lore that that.

On mechanics, maybe it would overlap with other classes, but as the OP said, it's not something new. The only real problem I see it's the balance, which from what I have gathered, it really sucks this expansion (not like it shone in others).

12/10/2018 14:40Posted by Halasibel
For Pandas, there would be a Chef class. With Nomi as the only teacher

I can see the name of the specs, based on the different ways to cook the meat:
Raw/Rare, Medium, Nomi's style/Ahses.
I will say it again, if I wasn't explicit enough already. Necromancers aren't 2 handed full plated melee warrior. They are ranged casters. Perhaps even with mail, that I strong recommend. Therefore, their mechanics would be far different from Death Knights.

And to distinct from Warlocks, Necromancers could use other source rather than mana to fuel their spell. Maybe even minions. Like

About demonology, yes the minion concentration is there. But there are no blight based spell/skill, nor debuffs, like reducing enemy armor or increasing its cool down time for a short time. Basically it doesn't fell like a Necromancer at all. If it did, they would have glyphs to turn all those demons in to undead, but they didn't.

About the hated, yes not everyone is fan to the classical revival of the damned dead. And a lot didn't sand still didn't like Death Knights, since they were the pawn of the old Lich King, but they did help against legion right? At times like that, they didn't complaining having the "Scourge" helping like Jaina did with the Horde. The same thing goes for Necromancers.

With the Shadow Council getting more spot light step by step, and with the Old Gods and Void closing in, and all this after the Legion incident... A man can only hope.
Because the next class should be a gnome/goblin exclusive : The Tinkerer!

Necromancers can't tank so blizzard are too scared to add them
Simple as that
If Blizzard had game directors of Yoshi level, we could get pure dps new classes, but for obvious reason that never happen with Ion and wotlk team at charge
14/10/2018 06:13Posted by Censuschar

Necromancers can't tank so blizzard are too scared to add them
Simple as that
If Blizzard had game directors of Yoshi level, we could get pure dps new classes, but for obvious reason that never happen with Ion and wotlk team at charge

They could make it tank though. It doesn't need to be the "typical" Necromancer role class. They could make a few adaptations.
(Death Knights doesn't count. The runes ruins the concept of a Necromancer.)

Or just make a spec that the Necro would use specific minions to taunt. It would be like the first taunt class that actually uses it's minion to tank.
If they introduce Necromancers I think it wont be the same as the traditional scourge necromancer.

I think it will be a mix of death, soul and blood magic.
It would allow several different races to play the class.
It would allow it to have a ranged dps spec and a healer spec.
Trolls have their own type of necromancy that is different from the scourge, focusing alot on souls and blood magic.
Vrykuls and drust have necromancy aswell that is different from the warlocks, uses alot of runes together with soul and blood magic.
Draenei have the soulpriests which guide the souls after someone has passed away.
The trolls and vrykul have skeletons and undead minions, draenei can control ghosts and spirits.

Also I do believe we are close to getting a necromancer class, there is so much death related things in BFA, blood trolls, bwonsamdi, the drust and ofc our queen sylvanas.

My idea of this mixed necromancer class allows it to be different and unique even compared to the traditional while still not moving away from the core elements and feels of a necromancer.
Spell effect would have the same look as the drust spells and the blood troll spells.

Healing/buff abilities would use blood and soul magic, maybe be the first healer to have a permanent minion perhaps in the form of a spirit.
It would also be the first dark healer.

Damaging/debuff abilities would use blood and death magic and have minions of some sort, but not the same as death knights minions. Skeletons and maybe sort of a wicker construct but mostly out of bones and lastly some spell casting minion in the form of a banshee or ghost.

Just something I have been thinking about alot the past months. Still cant make up my mind about it, dont know if I want to go to deep into the concept either to avoid getting disappointed when it doesnt happen.

14/10/2018 21:20Posted by Nekroironjaw
They could make it tank though. It doesn't need to be the "typical" Necromancer role class. They could make a few adaptations.

They really shouldn't make it a tank, it's better if it's a healer.
Runes is used by all spellcasters in some way, it is only a way of channeling magic.
Though I agree that necromancers shouldn't use it heavily and they should not use it as a resource as deathknights do. Their resource should be life energy.
15/10/2018 03:42Posted by Kranken
If they introduce Necromancers I think it wont be the same as the traditional scourge necromancer.

I think it will be a mix of death, soul and blood magic.
It would allow several different races to play the class.
It would allow it to have a ranged dps spec and a healer spec.
Trolls have their own type of necromancy that is different from the scourge, focusing alot on souls and blood magic.
Vrykuls and drust have necromancy aswell that is different from the warlocks, uses alot of runes together with soul and blood magic.
Draenei have the soulpriests which guide the souls after someone has passed away.
The trolls and vrykul have skeletons and undead minions, draenei can control ghosts and spirits.

Also I do believe we are close to getting a necromancer class, there is so much death related things in BFA, blood trolls, bwonsamdi, the drust and ofc our queen sylvanas.

My idea of this mixed necromancer class allows it to be different and unique even compared to the traditional while still not moving away from the core elements and feels of a necromancer.
Spell effect would have the same look as the drust spells and the blood troll spells.

Healing/buff abilities would use blood and soul magic, maybe be the first healer to have a permanent minion perhaps in the form of a spirit.
It would also be the first dark healer.

Damaging/debuff abilities would use blood and death magic and have minions of some sort, but not the same as death knights minions. Skeletons and maybe sort of a wicker construct but mostly out of bones and lastly some spell casting minion in the form of a banshee or ghost.

Just something I have been thinking about alot the past months. Still cant make up my mind about it, dont know if I want to go to deep into the concept either to avoid getting disappointed when it doesnt happen.

14/10/2018 21:20Posted by Nekroironjaw

They really shouldn't make it a tank, it's better if it's a healer.
Runes is used by all spellcasters in some way, it is only a way of channeling magic.
Though I agree that necromancers should use it heavily and they should not use it as a resource as deathknights do. Their resource should be life energy.

Yes, I agree with you.

Also, ofcourse it would make a lot of sense if it was healer. This tank idea is a rough sketch, but I wouldn't abolish either, yet.

And lastly, one concept I had in mind, would be more related to Godfrey. Dual-wielding pistols to spread blight and reanimated its victims as undead minions. This is also a rough sketch too, but the main idea (or core), is that mix of Blood Trolls, Drusts and other concepts that you mentioned. THAT would be "meaningful".