IS wow pay to win now.

General
Prev 1 3 4 5 8 Next
You'd literally need to waste hundreds to get somewhere decent. And even then i'm fine with sh*tters getting gear, they don't know what to do with it anyway. And if they're that stupid to waste hundreds of dollar on gear they effectively don't need because they're buying boosts anyway I'm more glad than anything else.

And on second note, buying gold was always a thing. they just made it less scamy so you don't have to go to third party sites.
Then BDO isn't p2w also, if we look at it from different angle.
it kind of is if you buy tokens sell them for gold then use that gold to buy boosts.
Why do you all assume he is going to underperform?

With the complexity of rotations currently in game, he will do ok in PvE.

PvP is a different story, but still it is not a given.
07/11/2018 12:38Posted by Berserka
I noticed that you can buy WOW token for real money and sell them for gold in the AH. Effectively your buying gold.

You been able to buy gold since classic so your point is ?

Gold can be used to get boosted in Mythic Raids,Mythic+ Dungeons and PVP ranking

same in classic

So rather than get good find a decent group of player you can just pay Blizzard cash for gold and beat the game with money.

you dont beat the game far from it tbh but i rate your troll attempt at 4/10
If you dont pay, you cannot play. If you cant play, you cant win. So yes, it is pay montly fee to win.
No, its not P2W (at least yet), as paying money won't improve your chances in the end-game, and people can buy the same items with In-game money earned in other ways.

It will become P2W the moment Blizzard will start selling kind of items or boosts that can only or in 95% only be obtained via paying real money to the game shop (like exclusive items in locked boxes with keys only or nearly only buyable in the game shop. Same with boosts that will make raiders life easier).

On the other hand, Blizzard is selling game gold for real world currency, thus competing the illegal bot farmers, just in a little more in-direct way.
No, its not P2W (at least yet), as paying money won't improve your chances in the end-game, and people can buy the same items with In-game money earned in other ways.

It will become P2W the moment Blizzard will start selling kind of items or boosts that can only or in 95% only be obtained via paying real money to the game shop (like exclusive items in locked boxes with keys only or nearly only buyable in the game shop. Same with boosts that will make raiders life easier).

On the other hand, Blizzard is selling game gold for real world currency, thus competing the illegal bot farmers, just in a little more in-direct way.

That's a lie, Blizzard DO NOT sell gold, they sell gametime, the people selling the gold are other players.

Why is this such a difficult thing to understand ? I can't believe players are that stupid that they can't work this out, oh wait. if they admitted that then their arguments about 'P2W and 'Unfair advantage' would evaporate.

My local second hand shop sells money, I think second hand shops should be banned as this is unfair to people that don't have second hand items to trade :p
This depends entirely on how you define p2w, and since there is no dictionary definition it is completely subjective.

My definition is that a game is p2w if you can, without breaking the ToS, buy power or accelerated access to power. From that perspective WoW has been p2w for a while now. You can level with money and get gear and consumables with money. That is both buying power and accelerated access to power.

But others say that you have to sell something that gives power and cannot be acquired by any other means. My issue with this definition is that it is too easy to avoid while still in practice selling massive power advantages.
This depends entirely on how you define p2w, and since there is no dictionary definition it is completely subjective.

My definition is that a game is p2w if you can buy power or accelerated access to power. From that perspective WoW has been p2w for a while now. You can level with money and get gear and consumables with money. That is both buying power and accelerated access to power.

But others say that you have to sell something that gives power and cannot be acquired by any other means. My issue with this definition is that it is too easy to avoid while still in practice selling massive power advantages.

Your definition of P2W means that every online game is P2W, if that's the case then what is your problem with it ? As it's a constant part of every game then you either accept it or don't play.
07/11/2018 15:28Posted by Pointybeard

My definition is that a game is p2w if you can buy power or accelerated access to power. From that perspective WoW has been p2w for a while now. You can level with money and get gear and consumables with money. That is both buying power and accelerated access to power.

Your definition of P2W means that every online game is P2W, if that's the case then what is your problem with it ? As it's a constant part of every game then you either accept it or don't play.

No, not all of them. Next time learn about the subject before commenting,
07/11/2018 15:28Posted by Pointybeard

Name one
Its pay to progress actually, if it was pay to win you as an individual would have an edge over other players, but given your a level 57 posting on forums I'd be surprised if you can even use wind shear lmao.
So the conclusion is Blizzard wanted to stop gold sellers by becoming the gold seller themselfs to protect us from hackers.

You can use Money to buy gold to get everything in the game done and completed and max all items Etc.

I call that pay to win myself.

But others say its not pay to win because you don`t get a button to press that says you win and buying your way to the maxium Gear and Rankings is fine because no one cares.

So its pay to beat every single aspect of the game but you cant win in WOW so its not pay to win.

Im glad we got to the bottom of that.
07/11/2018 16:06Posted by Berserka
So the conclusion is Blizzard wanted to stop gold sellers by becoming the gold seller themselfs to protect us from hackers.

You can use Money to buy gold to get everything in the game done and completed and max all items Etc.

I call that pay to win myself.

But others say its not pay to win because you don`t get a button to press that says you win and buying your way to the maxium Gear and Rankings is fine because no one cares.

So its pay to beat every single aspect of the game but you cant win in WOW so its not pay to win.

Im glad we got to the bottom of that.

So you finally agree....it’s not P2W.
07/11/2018 12:44Posted by Shortbolts
You could have been boosted to the best gear in the game through this system, that doesn't mean you win. Just means you shouldn't play an MMORPG. Put someone who got boosted against someone who didn't, and they'll be destroyed. That doesn't sound like a win to me.

that's exactly what pay to win means.

You get the best items/cards etc in a game and have an easier time and stomp the competition.

When you can do it effectively with real money, guess what ?

Whether you're bad and boosted means literally nothing, the fact is you can get the cutting edge/glad achievement for real money legitimately.

Your argument stood until the moment they implemented the whole Token system, currently it's irrelevant.
Oh so you couldn't buy gold before tokens???Yes you could. Does this made wow pay to win before?No, you never see boosted guy in Method or something(everywhere where skill matters). Op is cute silly girl deal is closed.
not sure what actiblizzs beliefs on people charging for boosts (personally I think its very scummy) but the fact of using real life money to buy gold via tokens (I also find this scummy) is entirely fine with them, as they introduced it.

You can buy the gear you get from boosting, but youll soon get bored failing all the time as you've no idea what to do with it. So, in essence, it is buy to win ... but all youll be winning is failure at high end.
Which makes it okay for me, im happy for cretins to use real life money on cosmetics in a computer game ... it takes all sorts to make the world go round, including morons.

Name one

Dota 2.
07/11/2018 16:14Posted by Zeleik
that's exactly what pay to win means.

You get the best items/cards etc in a game and have an easier time and stomp the competition.

When you can do it effectively with real money, guess what ?

Whether you're bad and boosted means literally nothing, the fact is you can get the cutting edge/glad achievement for real money legitimately.

Your argument stood until the moment they implemented the whole Token system, currently it's irrelevant.

By the same logic CSGO is also p2w since u can buy skins for real money and pay with them for someone to carry u to GE.