Race ranking

Story
1 2 3 5 Next
Rank all playable races (with or without allied races) in order from most to least favourite.

-GOD TIER-
1. Night elves.
2. Zandalari trolls
3. Orcs
4. Draenei
5. Trolls
-GOOD TIER-
6. Blood elves
7. Pandaren
8. Gnomes
9. Forsaken
10. Worgen
-OKAY TIER-
11. Goblins
12. Tauren
13. Dwarves
-!@#$ TIER-
14. Void elves
15. Humans
1) Night Elves
2) Tauren
3) Troll
4) Blood elf
5) Dwarf
6) Gnome
7) Worgen
8) Draenei
9) pandaren
10) Human
11) Orc
12) Goblin
13) Forsaken

For a rushed list, ignoring allied races
Not sure why this is in the Story forum...
1) Humans (this includes Kul Tiran Humans)

--HUGE GAP--

2) Dwarves

--HUGE GAP--

3) Kalimdor Horde races
4) Every Elven race
5) Worgen
6) Forsaken

--HUGE GAP--

7) Joke races (Gnomes/Goblin/Pandaren)

If I forgot to mention any race, It's because they weren't important enough for me to care about them.
09/11/2018 22:50Posted by Arctur
1) Humans (this includes Kul Tiran Humans)

--HUGE GAP--

2) Dwarves

--HUGE GAP--

3) Kalimdor Horde races
4) Every Elven race
5) Worgen
6) Forsaken

--HUGE GAP--

7) Joke races (Gnomes/Goblin/Pandaren)

If I forgot to mention any race, It's because they weren't important enough for me to care about them.

At this point I have learnt to just laugh and smile at your posts, I actually really enjoy them tbh. for some reason seeing your human supermacy posts warms my heart, idk why. :’)
Night Elven Illidari
Night elves
Nightborne
Void elves
Blood elves

Hoomans
Draenei
Dwarves
Gnomes
Trolls (darkspears only)
Kul'tirans (except Jaina)

Pandaren
Dark Irons
Highmountain
Tauren
Orcs
Forsaken
Zandalari

I like night elves most - cos they're unique - good dark elves, arcane and nature working together? night versions of magical cities and forests e.g. Suramar and Val'sharah, zin'azshari and Ashenvale, Hyjal and Eldre'thalas - phenomenal, I love the star focus too - it's not dark underground, it's dark as in night , looking to the stars and moon. Like the colour scheme etc. I also love how they truly made them the best of the dark and forest elves- their arcane and nature mastery is phenomenal - the way they describe their pre-sundering civilziation and their long vigil eraa, with great works of arcane and nature no one else has come close, and whiles those eras are doen, it is so nice to see that they have groups from each era still going, and regenerating - gives them quite the exciting future prospect - now arcane mastery meets nature mastery, and both are on the same page regarding balance, power, harmony, wisdom and strength - what will they now achieve? get back their immortality? their Well of power they can now responsibly use? their only remaining world tree Shaladrassil and the emerald dream. Then their is Elune. the fantasy of the female warrior priest is so cool, and the goddess they call with extraordinary powers. The arcane wielders, nature wielders and female warrior priests are like 3 cultures in one race - offers phenomenal diversity for a non-human race, and with a distinct nocturnal variatn. Definitely the favourites here.

Like Thalassian elves next - like the twist on high elves that make the blood elves, love the high elves too, one of the few classic tropes i actually like, like the void elf variation on the high elf, using a traditional evil magic, but being the exact opposite of that, i also like how they found a profound nobility through embracing a dark power - the irony. Love thier sun and magic theme, the light and void, but also the complexities of their side switching.

Wow humans come next, I like a lot of their characters, their down side is that they are too extraorindary, humans are the ordinary, yet they seem to do everything far too well, rather than have the oadd excception, they seem to always be out muscling orcs/taurens, out magicking elves - whiles i like that they're strong, i prefer them as underdogs a lot of races underestimate, then occassionally they do something seriously profound. I think blizzard kinda have to go back to basic, show players why Elves are exactly famous for the things they're famous for, and other race likes orcs, dwarves etc with their different strengths, and let humans take a backseat, - rather than assume everyone would know what these races are like and accept humans
Awhhh why is zandalari at the bottom :c
09/11/2018 23:49Posted by Telriem
Awhhh why is zandalari at the bottom :c

Dunno, previously he was complaining that Horde has access to gorgeous Dazar'alor and he is stuck with humans.

I guess he is just jelly that Zandalari predate his elves and even did magic before them.
--- Top Tier ---
Stormwind Humans
Other Humans (+Gilnean worgen. I don't see them as a standalone race)
Goblins
Dwarves (all 3 clans) & void Elves

--- Mid Tier ---
Gnomes
Orcs & Forsaken & Blood Elves
Night Elves & Draenei

--- Low Tier ---
Tauren
Mag'har Orcs
Worgen (If they were just the standalone race without Gilnean influence at all)

--- Trash Tier ---
Pandaren
Trolls
High Elves (Not playable but this is where they belong)
Why do you hate high elves? Lmao
10/11/2018 01:21Posted by Telriem

I dunno but even bigger wonder is why one would put humans atop when they're the most boring race of all and put the most original ones to "trash tier".

But *shrugs* some people are I guess allergic to truly unique stuff.
10/11/2018 01:21Posted by Telriem

They take away our Alliance lore budget... They have appeared in multiple occations ever since Classic and have always been portrayed as a part of the Alliance. They have been leading major factions in patches on the Isle of Thunder, Argent tournament or wotlk Dalaran. All while not even being a playable Alliance race.

Blizzard said that if we wanted to play High Elves, we should join the Horde, to which I say: Sure fine by me, but why the heck do you keep making these stupid High Elves appear time after time in our Alliance story, all while playable races like Gnomes are being left out?

We don't need High Elves, we have far more interesting races than these cheap copy-paste blood elves.

REMOVE HIGH ELVES!

10/11/2018 01:25Posted by Zakkaru
I dunno but even bigger wonder is why one would put humans atop when they're the most boring race of all and put the most original ones to "trash tier".

Looks like different people have different taste.
Trolls are an absolutely boring and ridiculous looking trash race by my book. I can't understand how you find these laughable creatures interesting.

But to each their own bud
10/11/2018 01:29Posted by Anouk
Looks like different people have different taste.
Trolls are an absolutely boring and ridiculous looking trash race by my book. I can't understand how you find these laughable creatures interesting.

But to each their own bud

Because they're not humans, they're jungle devils, WoW trolls are truly unique and escape usual fantasy portrayal of this race. Those are not dumb bruthish creatures that live in caves/under bridge. No, those are agile and strong, cunning and versatile, they created their own civilization, they have their own rich religion and culture, specific style in basically everything.

I have yet to find a race that could top this design, In fact as an artist I am jelous of this creation.

I can understand that tastes are various and not everyone must like the same thing. But it's still mind bogging how would one put to "trash tier" race that you can bet looks nothing alike to other fantasy takes, especially when Zandalari are now here with their gorgeous mesoamerican themes. While elves - LOL they look everywhere roughly the same(At least night elves have nicely developed culture), humans are everywhere the same with little tweaks there and there, and were more serving as a purpose for self insert.

I've seen those countless of times not only in WoW but in other games too, and I was always drawn to unique stuff.
Night Elves
Tauren
Blood(& high) Elves
Nightborne

Gnomes
Dwarves
Draenei
Forsaken

Zandalari
Goblins
Pandaren
Humans(which include Kul Tirans and Worgen)
Void Elves
1. Humans
2. Kul Tiran Humans
3. Worgen
4. Dwarves
5. Dark Iron Dwarves
6. Gnomes

CBA to rank the rest. They can get dabbed on or something.
1. Undead. Undead doesn't mean 'Sylvanas,' by the way. I really enjoy the themes surrounding them and the depth that comes with their condition.
2. Mag'har Orcs. Strip away the alternative universe nonsense and their diversity of the clans grants them an astonishing amount of depth.
3. Zandalari Trolls. Their relationship with the Loa, their caste system and their extensive history makes them very interesting to me.
4. Kul Tiran Humans. An extremely deep, rich and intriguing culture made all the more interesting by how different they are from other humans.
5. Nightborne. Pre-2.4 Blood Elves go here as well. An intriguing, sophisticated and tragic take on elves that is anything but traditional.
6. Humans. While many of the kingdoms have a great deal in common, there is still some sense of diversity in Humans and their history.
7. Blood Elves. While still an interesting race and with a gorgeous aesthetic, the changes inflicted on them by 2.4 prevent them from being great.
8. Pandaren. They'd rank far higher if they didn't look so ridiculous. Their culture is absolutely fantastic and Blizzard did a brilliant job with Pandaria.
9. Dark Iron Dwarves. The most interesting clan of Dwarves with a tragic past and a fantastic theme going for them, usually ignored by Blizzard.
10. Worgen. An ingenious fusion of the flavourful culture of Gilneas and Kaldorei druidism. It's a shame Blizzard has no clue what to do with them.
11. Night Elves. Blizzard is starting to write them properly and make them as vicious and primal as they're meant to be. Otherwise, they'd rank lower.
12. Trolls. Trolls are fascinating. Darkspear Trolls, not so much. In fact, they're the worst of the lot. But there's still interesting enough to come here.
13. Dwarves. They've got some great Titanic lore attached to them and some of their culture is brilliant. Other parts of their culture, not so much.
14. Gnomes. There's some interesting lore to them. If only it wasn't hidden behind a pile of awful slapstick nonsense, I'd like them a lot more.
15. Goblins. There's some interesting lore to them. If only it wasn't hidden behind a mountain of awful slapstick nonsense, I'd like them a lot more.
16. Tauren. If only they weren't ruined by being made into a playable race for this game. They used to be so awe-inspiring in Warcraft III.
17. Orcs. Without their clans, they're reduced to rather basic noble savages with a bizarre sense of honour. I'm not a fan of them and how simple they are.
18. Draenei. Born from an awful retcon, they clash horribly with the rest of the World of Warcraft. If I wanted space ships, I'd play a sci-fi MMORPG.
19. Highmountain Tauren. Tauren 2.0. They do literally nothing that Tauren didn't already do. Why do they exist? I don't bloody know.
20. Lightforged Draenei. The same problems as the Draenei, but even more obnoxious and armed with a nonsensical plot device.
21. Void Elves. Out of all of their crimes, the worst is that their existence guarantees that Ethereals will never become a playable race.
1. Blood Elves (Obviously)

2. Orcs (I love their diverse tribal customs. Though I prefer Orcs without the timey whimey stuff)

3. Mag'har Orcs (See above)

4. Draenei (I enjoyed their arc)

5. Forsaken (Liked them better before WotLK)

6. Zandalari (Best Troll Race, they keep climbing up my list every time I see them)

7. Night Elves (They've fallen down quite a bit since Legion, but they have some interesting lore in some places)

8. Nightborne (Cheap knock off Blood Elves that borrow some of the better parts of Night Elf lore)

9. Dark Iron Dwarves (Like regular Dwarves but cooler)

10. Stormwind Humans (Mostly due to their vanilla portrayal, since then it's been downhill)

11. Worgen (I'm bored of them, Genn and Gilneas are pretty cool but I feel as though the Worgen Curse stuff is more a hindrance than a benefit).

12. Bronzebeard Dwarves (Dwarves know how to build cool-looking stuff)

13. Highmountain Tauren (Like regular Tauren but with better leadership)

14. Pandaren (The Celestials and Taran Zhu can go drown in a pile of melted fortune cookies after 'Warcrimes'. But Pandaren history is surprisingly rich)

15. Darkspear Trolls (Pretty dull tribe, they're better off without Vol'jin, as is the rest of the Horde)

16. Kul Tirans (I despise Kul Tiras. Drustvar's story was okay I guess and some Kul Tirans are pretty cool, like those friendly pirates who let us use their port)

17. Goblins (They like blowing stuff up and money. One-dimensional.)

18. Lightforged Draenei (Like regular Draenei, but worse in every single way and led by a Human)

19. Tauren (Baine, I struggle to take those who still follow him seriously)

20. Void Elves (They're a completely random addition to the game. I find their reasoning for joining the Alliance and betraying their people poor. They make Thalassian Elves look bad.)

21. Gnomes (I don't need a reason)

My opinions change quite frequently. But Blood Elves and Orcs remain pretty consistent in their placement. As do the bottom four.
10/11/2018 01:46Posted by Zakkaru
Because they're not humans, they're jungle devils, WoW trolls are truly unique and escape usual fantasy portrayal of this race. Those are not dumb bruthish creatures that live in caves/under bridge. No, those are agile and strong, cunning and versatile, they created their own civilization, they have their own rich religion and culture, specific style in basically everything.

Okay? I like Humans. I like High Fantasy. Just because it's used a lot doesn't make it terrible. There is a reason why it is used in such repetition, because fantasy with a relateable twist can be interesting. I don't enjoy their "unique culture". Plenty of creatures in WoW have their own civilisation, it doesn't mean it's the best or even enjoyable for people.

I have yet to find a race that could top this design, In fact as an artist I am jelous of this creation.

Personally I could. It's Caribbean/South American flair. Hardly reinventing the wheel here. Certainly nothing I personally find interesting.

I can understand that tastes are various and not everyone must like the same thing. But it's still mind bogging how would one put to "trash tier" race that you can bet looks nothing alike to other fantasy takes,

Just because it's unique, doesn't mean people have to love it. Or even be apathetic towards it. This is a fantasy game, people can love traditional fantasy and people can love non traditional fantasy. And people are well within their rights to hate it.

Why can't we hate something that is "unique"?

especially when Zandalari are now here with their gorgeous mesoamerican themes. While elves - LOL they look everywhere roughly the same(At least night elves have nicely developed culture), humans are everywhere the same with little tweaks there and there, and were more serving as a purpose for self insert.

I don't find the Zandalari themes "gorgeous", I find them tacky and uninteresting. It's my own opinion.

You find Elves and Humans boring, why should I care? I am not making you play with them. So what if Humans are used as a self insert? It's an RPG, if I want to have a self insert I damn well can.

I've seen those countless of times not only in WoW but in other games too, and I was always drawn to unique stuff.

So what? Just because something is unique doesn't mean it is good.

You can love Trolls as much as you want mate. Just don't force us to like them too.
10/11/2018 02:19Posted by Taxania

18. Draenei. Born from an awful retcon, they clash horribly with the rest of the World of Warcraft. If I wanted space ships, I'd play a sci-fi MMORPG.

I’m confused, how are Draenei born from an awful retcon? Can you please explain?? :)
10/11/2018 02:31Posted by Telriem
I’m confused, how are Draenei born from an awful retcon? Can you please explain?? :)

Long ago, the Eredar were the beings originally responsible for corrupting Sargeras. How could his Burning Legion have corrupted them if they were responsible for corrupting the founder of the Burning Legion?

When confronted with this, Chris Metzen and Alex Afrasiabi explained that they had completely overlooked this old lore and proceeded to retcon it, so that the Draenei story made sense. That set the tone for Draenei for me.