What classes will be rare/common?

Classic Discussion
Given that with Wow Classic, players will have the benefit of hindsight, what classes will be oversubscribed and which will be rare?

I prefer playing spellcasters and would love to go mage, but it would be a bit boring if there were loads of other mages around. Seems like there might be.

What's a good compromise, lock?
balance druid, because druid.
Well, people claim locks were rare. On pservers that is certainly true.
Lock is a great choice either way; free mount, easy to level with VW, sought after in PvE, great for PvP, etc.
I fine choice.
Realistically, lots of everything. Druids were historically the least represented, which is unlikely to change. I'd expect to see more mages than locks but not that much of a difference between the two in numbers. Ultimately, go for what you feel will be most interesting and fun to play.
The most popular classes will be the strongest ones, Warriors, Rogues, Mages I'd imagine. Less popular will be balance druids and elemental shamans.
With the initial crazy hype there will be a lot of any class. Later on it may start favoring stronger classes like in the past but it can very likely be more even out due to how many people will play it and not having private server or theorycrafting background.
Druid is very rare. And Warlock on Ally side is quite rare.
13/11/2018 21:03Posted by Xumo
Druid is very rare.

Looking at various tryhard approaches to Druid makes me wonder why? It's not the best in meters but at least is quite unique/fun maybe? - like powershifting for DPS, off-tanking with "odd" items as BiS plus the usual healer / support role... and that Gnomer farm ;)
I've seen plenty of discussions of painfully dedicated druid players wanting to play as main tanks, they know exactly which pieces of loot they need and they expect their guilds to give it to them so that they can be a bad replacement for a Warrior.

The reality is if you're a druid you're a healer who is invited mainly for battle res. Vanilla might not be fair for some specs/classes but that's the reality of the situation. I can't wait for the hilarity of guys tryharding ret paladin.
13/11/2018 21:19Posted by Bigbazz
I've seen plenty of discussions of painfully dedicated druid players wanting to play as main tanks, they know exactly which pieces of loot they need and they expect their guilds to give it to them so that they can be a bad replacement for a Warrior.

The reality is if you're a druid you're a healer who is invited mainly for battle res. Vanilla might not be fair for some specs/classes but that's the reality of the situation. I can't wait for the hilarity of guys tryharding ret paladin.

i can't wait for the hilarity of guys tryharding Super easy vanilla content, only to find out they faceroll everything in content that's designed for odd-specs without any consumables or world buffs at all.

forums gonna be flooded By tryhard min / maxers complaining this is not vanilla because it's so easy.
13/11/2018 21:38Posted by Cai

i can't wait for the hilarity of guys tryharding Super easy vanilla content, only to find out they faceroll everything in content that's designed for odd-specs without any consumables or world buffs at all.

forums gonna be flooded By tryhard min / maxers complaining this is not vanilla because it's so easy.

The raiding community is well aware of how easy Vanilla is, will depend how they tune the bosses though. The original numbers won't work with 1.12 class tuning considering they are going to do a progression based release schedule.

If they go with 1.12 boss tuning numbers it will be even easier.
Going to roll Sham, I miss my Ele/Enhance mix I don't care for min/max, the feel of the class is what I crave, it's so different in retail I'm happy with 80% efficiency with a support role (non healing even), I also get a totem for every job, and be the most disruptive class in pvp, 6 sec interrupt yes plz, spell eating totem yes plz, 50% slow at lvl 6 :D.

besides of being crushed and critted, druids have higher armor to mitigate that a bit, and something that many raids will like: higher single tps than a warrior while bringing the same to the table a dps feral would: 3% crit aura, innervate, combat ress, more damage than a tank warrior who is on dps duty.
Nope, not a maintank, but a more reasonable offtank than any further prot warrior (except for the nightfall swinger)
13/11/2018 22:12Posted by Lentat

besides of being crushed and critted, druids have higher armor to mitigate that a bit, and something that many raids will like: higher single tps than a warrior while bringing the same to the table a dps feral would: 3% crit aura, innervate, combat ress, more damage than a tank warrior who is on dps duty.
Nope, not a maintank, but a more reasonable offtank than any further prot warrior (except for the nightfall swinger)

If a Warrior isn't needed for tanking at all on a fight they can just equip dps gear, in Vanilla most tanks were Fury for most of the expansion, even after Prot got much needed buffs and took over as the primary spec a Fury Warrior in tank gear was a fully capable tank, a gear switch and they are one of the best dps in the game.
I expect there will be plenty of Warriors, Rogues and Mages, a decent amount of Hunters, Priests and Warlocks, and then hybrids (Shaman, Paladin, Druid) at the bottom.

I don't expect it to be too far from a typical private server class distribution.
I think class populations will be something like this in order of most common.

1. Warrior.
2. Rogue.
3. Mage.
4. Hunter.
5. Warlock.
6. Priest.
7. Paladin.
8. Druid.
9. Shaman.

Note that I expect there will be plenty of paladins and shamans on their respective faction, but their overall population will still be low since there are none of them on the other faction.
Yeah I also think that due to the hype in the beginning the classes will be pretty balanced until the hype dies down and only the real ones keep playing, then the strongest classes will be better represented (Warrior, Rogue, Mage for example) and Shamans and Druids will be at the bottom. I do believe however, that it won't be as clearcut like in Vanilla because people know more about the game today and maybe some specs will be more viable today than they were in ~ 2006.

I don't care about strength and care only about class fantasy however. Can't play something I don't like. That's why I'll be playing Shaman.
13/11/2018 21:11Posted by Bigkeg
13/11/2018 21:03Posted by Xumo
Druid is very rare.

Looking at various tryhard approaches to Druid makes me wonder why? It's not the best in meters but at least is quite unique/fun maybe? - like powershifting for DPS, off-tanking with "odd" items as BiS plus the usual healer / support role... and that Gnomer farm ;)

Personally i'm happy it's the least played class that way I feel even more unique when im running around kicking !@# in the world lol, but the reason is simple: It's harder to learn than the other classes and not having a specific role makes people frustrated. Am I a healer? A tank? Or a caster? It makes noobs confused so they reroll. Druid is the ultimate hybrid class and the whole point is to be all 3 at the same time. You will never do more dmg than rogues/mages, you will never be better tank than warriors and you will never heal as good as a priest. But thats not the point, the point is that you can do all roles whenever the situation calls for it
(...) I don't care about strength and care only about class fantasy however. Can't play something I don't like. That's why I'll be playing Shaman.

That's why I'm going to play Driud just as i played it back then and enjoyed every aspect of it, versatility and hybrid possibilities.