hey blizzard, i want to play tank

General
i want to play tank, but the tank design is so bad atm...
tanks feel weak, and have all kinds of annoying mechanics that make you fight your class more than you fight mobs, also they seem on higher end of APM scale so for me it gets physically painful few dungeons in(dont know if its from 15+ years of gaming, bad keybind setup or what)

for me druid is out, because i dont want to be a bear
warrior is useless and no self heal
paladin and dh def is based on crappy annoying dr mechanic that you cant keep up 100% of the time(shield of the righteous and demon spikes)
dk is closest to playable, but has annoying to track stack mechanic, and i hate runes
brewmaster is only one i havent played
06/10/2018 09:07Posted by Deeceem
paladin and dh def is based on crappy annoying dr mechanic that you cant keep up 100% of the time(shield of the righteous and demon spikes)
dk is closest to playable, but has annoying to track stack mechanic, and i hate runes

And this is why you will make a terrible tank. You just want to push one button where it gives you 100% up time on a defensive ability rather than playing the class, learning it's mechanics. It's all about knowing when to use the skill you need. Most tanks can take a beating without the need of a defensive.
06/10/2018 09:37Posted by Moichang

And this is why you will make a terrible tank. You just want to push one button where it gives you 100% up time on a defensive ability rather than playing the class, learning it's mechanics. It's all about knowing when to use the skill you need. Most tanks can take a beating without the need of a defensive.

can, but to save healers mana its best to keep those buffs up as much as possible. blood dk has 1 button that allows to keep that defense up. also those buffs come with charges and no gcd, so you can waste them if you doubletap the key or cast it while the buff is on

what about wanting to have convenient buff makes me terrible tank? i want to play the class not whacamole on skillbar. what makes tank good is knowing encounter, how much you can pull, how much damage your healer can heal without running oom, how much your dps can deal with. recasting some boring short duration buff just for sake of recasting isnt fun. ofc i could macro that skill to some other skill with similar cd and get decent results, but i dont want to since its not optimal.

and considering how long it takes to find a tank for a dungeon the design is wrong else more people would play tanks, one reason i see is that blizzard is so focused on making people play their skill bar that they have forgotten that people want to play the game not skillbar
I’m only 8/8 Normal and 7/8 Heroic in Uldir but I feel that Protection Paladin is in a decent position at the moment. None of the bosses feel impossible to tank and I’d be 8/8 HC already if I had a little bit more gear and some better timing on my utilities. I can’t speak for other thanks though but I’ll get to the them eventually.

EDIT
I did everything on HC and even got some Mythic bosses killed as a Protection Paladin during Legion.
Paladin is pretty sweet tbh. Lots of defence, good controll , a nice selfheal, amazing AOE.
Easymode, but still feels like a challenge most parts
06/10/2018 10:15Posted by Johners
I’m only 8/8 Normal and 7/8 Heroic in Uldir but I feel that Protection Paladin is in a decent position at the moment.

I can't think of a recent time when Prot Paladin sucked. Prot Warrior on the other hand..
The reason I dislike current tanking is that it feels too slow, and blood dk's for instance feel completely different from legion (which I do not consider a good thing). On top of that, I've always felt that tanking is the most boring role , due to being overly simple. I'd honestly rather play a 3 dps spec class.
And this is why you will make a terrible tank. You just want to push one button where it gives you 100% up time on a defensive ability rather than playing the class, learning it's mechanics.

Actually that's exactly how guardian druid works. I literally have a 1 button cast sequence macro that does everything for me, except big def cds which I use separately.

No idea why being a Bear is a negative thing for the OP tho.
06/10/2018 10:45Posted by Murdash
And this is why you will make a terrible tank. You just want to push one button where it gives you 100% up time on a defensive ability rather than playing the class, learning it's mechanics.

Actually that's exactly how guardian druid works. I literally have a 1 button cast sequence macro that does everything for me, except big def cds which I use separately.

No idea why being a Bear is a negative thing for the OP tho.

just visuals, i care more about look and feel of the class than numbers, as long as the numbers are at least ok

why i doubt ill ever play boomkin
I find the OP hilariously inaccurate.

MoP prot pala was high on APM with 50% haste. Now its less than half that and the GCD boss.
long story short, easiest role in game is too hard for OP so he wants 2 button tank that looks good.
"Can't play DK because need to keep track of stacks."

I'm sorry, but.. well.. maybe tanking isn't for you?
i want to play tank, but the tank design is so bad atm...
tanks feel weak, and have all kinds of annoying mechanics that make you fight your class more than you fight mobs, also they seem on higher end of APM scale so for me it gets physically painful few dungeons in(dont know if its from 15+ years of gaming, bad keybind setup or what)

for me druid is out, because i dont want to be a bear
warrior is useless and no self heal

I would consider Brewmasters to be a quite high APM spec depending on what you are doing. They have the ability to have 100% uptime on their active mitigation (ironskin brew) and are able to clear damage with their purifying brew. In an ideal world you would use purifying brew after every big hitting attack a boss deals to you. The problem is that there aren't enough charges of your brews (ironskin brew and purifying brew share charges and cooldown) to be able to do that without spamming your other abilities.

Your Tiger Palm and Keg Smash reduce the cooldown on your brews, so in order to use your brews effectively you need to use your dps abilities as much as possible. Our other defensive mechanic is Elusive Brawler which increases our dodge chance. Using Blackout Strike gives us a stack of Elusive Brawler, so the more we use it the more we can dodge.

In essence this means that we more we spam our offensive abilities, the more often we can use our defensive abilities and the less damage we will take. If you are looking for a "low APM" tank, Brewmasters aren't going to be for you, unless you completely outgear the content to the point where you don't need to use your active mitigation.
06/10/2018 12:23Posted by Malificia
"Can't play DK because need to keep track of stacks."

I'm sorry, but.. well.. maybe tanking isn't for you?

there is a difference between doing it for a mechanic for tank swaps on some fights/or on certain keystones and doing it all the time

06/10/2018 12:15Posted by Dejarous
I find the OP hilariously inaccurate.

MoP prot pala was high on APM with 50% haste. Now its less than half that and the GCD boss.

57(simcraft) seems upper end of what i want to play, ~ 50 would be perfect

06/10/2018 12:19Posted by Bukachu
long story short, easiest role in game is too hard for OP so he wants 2 button tank that looks good.

not 2, arcane was boring af, but i come from action mmorpgs so im more used to class being easy to play, having <10 keys, but encounters being hard, instead of classes being complicated, but encounters being easy