Too many abilities in the game, we're literally drowning.

General
I'm not sure how I'm meant to click all of these skills constantly. I don't have time to go on Icy veins and get a degree in 15 different rotations. I simply want to click skills and see things fall to the ground, as intended.

I suggest you look at simplifying abilities across all classes (so nobody is left out), there's simply way too many situational abilities in this game that should not have seen the light of day.

Back in Vanilla we had a much smaller set of skills, this game has turned into something only an Octopus could play.

Best wishes,
Thousandaire
3/10.

Low effort. It's a generous score, please put more effort in.
20/10/2018 02:37Posted by Thousandaire
Back in Vanilla we had a much smaller set of skills, this game has turned into something only an Octopus could play.

But but.. in vanilla we had 50 button rotations....... are you saying that's not true???? That hunter rotation was auto shot > multi shot > auto shot > repeat?

This is alarming, you are lying... I can't ... no.. This can't be!
Boring troll is boring, so boring in fact that I couldn't be bothered to use an original meme.
Smells like bait...

...I'll take it!

For my Shadow Priest I'm actually hoping that the speculated rework will reduce the amount of abilities a little bit.

Now hold your horses, there's a reason for that!

If a spec's dps output is 100%, then that dps has to be divided across however many abilities are part of its rotation. If it uses 4 abilities in its rotation, then each ability will account for 25% of the dps (generalizing, but you get the point).

But if a spec has 8 abilities in its rotation, then each ability only accounts for 12.5% of the dps.

And it takes a lot longer to cycle through 8 abilities as opposed to 4.

So the rotation with 4 abilities becomes fast-paced with little ramping, whereas the one with 8 abiltiies becomes slow-paced with lots of ramping.
The one with 4 abilities has some really hard-hitting ones! The one with 8 abilities has many different versions of wet noodles...

And I think most people prefer fast-paced gameplay with little ramping. I mean, the insane popularity of melee dps who uses few buttons isn't a coincidence....
So having relatively few abilities in your rotation tends to be preferable to having many abilities.

In Vanilla most classes actually had relatively many abilities in their rotation, and the gameplay was also a lot more slow-paced than today.

People may say they want to have to use a lot of abilities in their gameplay rotation. But if you've tried to level up as a Shadow Priest in Battle for Azeroth, you know it doesn't actually translate to an enjoyable experience. It just translates to an experience where you're slow and weak – an experience where you have to press a lot more buttons and spend a lot more time to accomplish what others can do with fewer buttons and less time. How's that fun?

So yeah, less buttons please, at least for Shadow :P

And yeah, when the Classic Demo comes out in a few weeks, we'll get to see how fond people are of the extreme slow-paced gameplay....
Smells like bait...

...I'll take it!

For my Shadow Priest I'm actually hoping that the speculated rework will reduce the amount of abilities a little bit.

Now hold your hoses, there's a reason for that!

If a spec's dps output is 100%, then that dps has to be divided across however many abilities are part of its rotation. If it uses 4 abilities in its rotation, then each ability will account for 25% of the dps (generalizing, but you get the point).

But if a spec has 8 abilities in its rotation, then each ability only accounts for 12.5% of the dps.

And it takes a lot longer to cycle through 8 abilities as opposed to 4.

So the rotation with 4 abilities becomes fast-paced with little ramping, whereas the one with 8 abiltiies becomes slow-paced with lots of ramping.

And I think most people prefer fast-paced gameplay with little ramping. So having relatively few abilities in your rotation tends to be preferable to having many abilities.

In Vanilla most classes actually had relatively many abilities in their rotation, and the gameplay was also a lot more slow-paced than today.

People may say they want to have to use a lot of abilities in their gameplay rotation. But if you've tried to level up as a Shadow Priest in Battle for Azeroth, you know it doesn't actually translate to an enjoyable experience. It just translates to an experience where you're slow and weak – an experience where you have to press a lot more buttons and spend a lot more timeto accomplish what others can do with fewer buttons and less time.

So yeah, less buttons please, at least for Shadow :P

A serious post, thanks for reading.

With regards to the point you made about Vanilla being slow paced, I feel this was due to the GCD, which is now in place for BFA. I believe they made the right choice to do this, but retained all of the abilities they've implemented since.

The right thing to do would have been to implement the GCD AND remove large numbers of irrelevant skills that currently exist. It makes no sense for me to sit there and click on a ton of skills only to be hindered by a GCD.

At this point, I feel forced to purchase a gaming mouse. There are simply too many things to keep on top of clicking, and don't get me started with procs abilities.

Best wishes,
Thousandaire
20/10/2018 02:53Posted by Thousandaire
With regards to the point you made about Vanilla being slow paced, I feel this was due to the GCD, which is now in place for BFA. I believe they made the right choice to do this, but retained all of the abilities they've implemented since.

I don't know. I don't really mind the GCD too much. It can definitely be felt on specs that rely a lot on cooldowns. It's a lot more notable when I play Discipline than when I play Holy. As Holy it barely even exists. As Discipline you say hi to it every minute or two.
I'm sure it's something Blizzard will tweak over time. A major design change like the GCD one isn't something you get perfectly right on the first try, so we'll see.

At this point, I feel forced to purchase a gaming mouse, there are simply too many things to keep on top of clicking, and don't get me started with procs abilities.

It depends a bit on class and spec choice I'd say. Again, on my Shadow Priest I feel as if I have a lot of buttons on my action bars, and that I have to use most of them to do even the simplest of things, like killing a lone quill boar.
But if I play my Retribution Paladin, then I can keybind my main abilities to 1-4 and just smash my fingers on those keys and do pretty okay.
So some specs obviously lean heavily toward simplistic playstyles whereas others are more on the complex side. There just doesn't seem to be much reward for mastering the complex specs, which is probably why the simpler ones get increasingly popular.
prune everything but auto attacks so that we can all be equal and not strain our brains with pointless spells 'n stuff

Best wishes,
Accelero
I agree with OP.

Best wishes
Darthtoon
And I thought that my character is a troll, lol.

Without respect,
Kaelgar.
Just let us kill things with auto's, simple.

Wishing on a star,
Shortbolts.
Thats why I play mostly in 20-29 PvP bracket, cuz I cant handle more than 2-3 buttons.
Some of you never had to wand down the mobs back in the glory days.
What worries me is that Blizzard will see this and act on it.

"See guys we listened"...
20/10/2018 02:37Posted by Thousandaire
I'm not sure how I'm meant to click all of these skills constantly. I don't have time to go on Icy veins and get a degree in 15 different rotations. I simply want to click skills and see things fall to the ground, as intended.

I suggest you look at simplifying abilities across all classes (so nobody is left out), there's simply way too many situational abilities in this game that should not have seen the light of day.

Best wishes,
Thousandaire

I was thinking the same thing, just remove all skills and replace with 1 button that says "play" and !@#$ the rest. Just play the game like you are watching netflix.