Should players be encouraged to improve?

General
A simple question that will hopefully spark off some good discussion. The encouragement could come either from the community or from Blizzard in the form of in-game systems and rewards.

Please keep the insults to a minimum here, everyone is entitled to their own opinion on this topic.
Nah.

Just let them play LFR but give them mythic level gear. That's gonna solve everything.
22/10/2018 15:58Posted by Ájmage
Nah.

Just let them play LFR but give them mythic level gear. That's gonna solve everything.

Why stop there? Let the gear from LFR be better than mythic ra oh wait, we're already there.
22/10/2018 16:02Posted by Valkiá
22/10/2018 15:58Posted by Ájmage
Nah.

Why stop there? Let the gear from LFR be better than mythic ra oh wait, we're already there.

Show me a player that only did LFR but has better gear than a Mythic raider.
encouragement can only go so far. whilst i believe that all players should be encouraged to progress into higher end content, whether that be m+, raiding or pvp, its their choice at the end of the day. the game can only do so much to try to push players into that direction.
Just here to tag myself in. Incoming !@#$ storm.
22/10/2018 16:04Posted by Poly
22/10/2018 16:02Posted by Valkiá

Yesterday I ran a m+ and I saw a druid with a mythic 4 ring 380 titanforged.
I was speechless. m4 ring shouldn't even be close to mythic raiding ilvl.
Should they be encouraged? Yes.

Will they be encouraged? Not with the current systems in place.

You've never seen m0 and LFR gear proc to 395? I have.
22/10/2018 16:11Posted by Tokiri

A WHOLE RING?

Damn, that 20-30 extra haste compared to what he'd otherwise have must have made a whole world of difference.
No we should all be allowed to play at whatever level we are able to and the game should accommodate this.

Im super casual and I love passives, lfr, trinkets that require me to do nothing same with azurite traits, I like cookie cutter one build fits all talent builds. LFR has been a god send to me I can experience enough of the game without having to put much effort it.

However in saying that I am a big believer in having content for those players that do and can put effort in. I think raider io is good as it vets players that otherwise could worm their way in and ruin the run. Id like nothing more to join mythics and be carried but that's not fair, unless the group already know this. Leave the lfr's and the welfare gear to us casuals but keep the hardcore gear,mounts etc etc out of our hands. If I or any other casual want to experience that stuff then we put the effort in and do it.

There needs to be a clear line on one side stuff for us casuals to enjoy and on the other stuff for the hardcore players who put effort in. Id even say keep titanforged/warforged luck for gear on heroic/mythic raids and mythic+ dungeons. Make gear look at feel epic for those who put the effort into doing the harder content. I don't get triggered when I cant experience certain content because that's my fault not Blizzards.
22/10/2018 16:07Posted by Vaélus
encouragement can only go so far. whilst i believe that all players should be encouraged to progress into higher end content, whether that be m+, raiding or pvp, its their choice at the end of the day. the game can only do so much to try to push players into that direction.

It's true that you can lead a horse to water but can't make it drink, however right now I feel that Blizzard are leading the horse away from the water and are then surprised that it is dying of thirst.
22/10/2018 16:13Posted by Leymaiden
22/10/2018 16:11Posted by Tokiri

A WHOLE RING?

Damn, that 20-30 extra haste compared to what he'd otherwise have must have made a whole world of difference.

That's not the point, add some luck and 1 item can become 3 pieces, if you run low keys you shouldn't be able to get mythic raiding level gear. The number of pieces means nothing. Get 1 380 1 375 2 370 titanforgeds and you got an ilvl that you don't deserve at all.
22/10/2018 16:19Posted by Tokiri
22/10/2018 16:13Posted by Leymaiden

A WHOLE RING?

That's not the point, add some luck and 1 item can become 3 pieces, if you run low keys you shouldn't be able to get mythic raiding level gear. The number of pieces means nothing. Get 1 380 1 375 2 370 titanforgeds and you got an ilvl that you don't deserve at all.

It's funny how anything around RNG somehow always resolves around the one argueing against being on the lower end and everyone else being those theoretical incredible lucky people who will definitely defy all expectations and go far and beyond by making the 0.1% chance a 100% chance.

It's almost as if...it's confirmation bias...almost...
Any player should be able to play up to any level they are comfortable playing at. It's the responsibility of Blizzard to make rewards relevant to the content, also the community needs to act like a community for the greater good of the game... it's an MMOrpg after all.

That being said, players have to be honest with themselves and realise, if you want to push the harder content, you need to do your homework. Good gear doesn't guarantee a high end player. If I haven't studied my spec and practiced the rotation/priority list etc, mastered cooldowns and when to use them and what to use them with, more importantly read and understood the content I plan to go into and the mechanics involved... all i'd be doing is making it harder for my group. This is just as bad as an impatient PUG group, who start kicking players on the 1st wipe.

So, yes players should be encouraged but only in the interest of it being fun for everyone. It's a game after all. If it's not fun, we're not doing it right :)
22/10/2018 16:12Posted by Valkiá

You've never seen m0 and LFR gear proc to 395? I have.

Check out my ilvl390 legs....from a warfront. (and Ive barely touched LFR either!).

yup, the reward system is completely borked this expansion. Gear lottery is good but should be kept to lower levels, like up to LFR level. Just something to help to get into higher content when you hit 120.

Although if the OP means improving as in running mythic type content then no reward is going to make me want to do that. Its just not my bag.
I think the community should play 95% of this though. If people weren’t so selfish in game the game would be a better place and would learn.

You can’t teach someone something if no one is whilling teach them.

The community itself in game can quite easily take a few seconds out and explain tactics to certain situations, weather that be mythic+, raids or general game play.

I mean it takes seconds for people to learn but some will still make mistakes, we are human after all and not everyone is a perfect player.
What would encourage you to perform your best?

I am a low maintenance player, so I really don't need a new reward system, I am fine with the achievements and titles we get from time to time.

One exampel of this was last night: I was thrilled to get one of the achivements to get all the candy buckets in Kalimdor - no, it didn't improve my gameplay or gear, but I didn't log out, and it was the drive for me that evening.
22/10/2018 16:22Posted by Gulkas
Any player should be able to play up to any level they are comfortable playing at. It's the responsibility of Blizzard to make rewards relevant to the content, also the community needs to act like a community for the greater good of the game... it's an MMOrpg after all.

That being said, players have to be honest with themselves and realise, if you want to push the harder content, you need to do your homework. Good gear doesn't guarantee a high end player. If I haven't studied my spec and practiced the rotation/priority list etc, mastered cooldowns and when to use them and what to use them with, more importantly read and understood the content I plan to go into and the mechanics involved... all i'd be doing is making it harder for my group. This is just as bad as an impatient PUG group, who start kicking players on the 1st wipe.

So, yes players should be encouraged but only in the interest of it being fun for everyone. It's a game after all. If it's not fun, we're not doing it right :)

Agreed. With that in mind how would you feel about a system that rewards players for completing content in lower level gear. Say for example you killed a boss in 320ilvl gear, the gear it dropped would be a higher ilvl than if you killed it in 350ilvl gear.
yes. ban all game dynamics helping addons and macros(difficult to do). Dont be robots but think on your own. For me that should be discussed and not which loot is given where