Uniqueness in this game

General
We need a feature something like the mage tower back in legion but more unique, more difficult, something that only few will be able to accomplish.

Imagine what would happen if in legion only the best one player per spec could wield his artifact weapon in his cross-realm.

Let's say you are a retribution paladin and you walk around Dalaran and you see the only retribution paladin that is able to wield the Ashbringer. You look at him and say "Wow, I want that Ashbringer!".
Every retribution paladin will struggle to surpass him just to wield the Ashbringer for a couple of days until someone else surpass them.

That kind of feature is missing from the game. It doesn't have to be game breaking. For instance, that artifact, could just be a unique transmog skin that is only available to you when you meet the conditions. (best character on that spec for example).

In BFA and in future expansions we could have something similar to that.

Back in the day (I think it was TBC), warlocks and if I am not mistaken, only destruction warlocks had a really long and really tough quest-line in order to make their flames fel-themed.

We could have something like that for every spec in the game, locked behind a feat of strength that only few will be able to achieve.

Imagine a mage tower difficult enough that only lets say 1% of the player base will be able to complete. Something that is not ilvl relevant (it will give you template stats to be fair for everyone). And it will be so hard that if you don't have a really high mastery on your spec, you will not be able to complete it.

The reward will differ from spec to spec but it will be spec themed. For example:
Fire mage: Blue flames
Elemental shaman: different elemental models.
Restoration druid: Emerald nightmare tree form
Demonology warlock: Demon form (cosmetic)
Fury Warrior: Fiery finishers on their skills
Shadow Priest: Black void
Holy Priest: Dark light
Destruction warlock: Red chaos bolt (rename: Annihilation bolt, because chaos damage is green.)
And so on.
(Disclaimer: these are just my idea that I just thought of, the rewards could be completely different.)

The whole idea is that, we need some iconic things to work on. Something that will make some people stand out and make the rest of the community want to work on that.

Remember back in Vanilla. There was only one High warlord and only one Grand Marshal. That little feature, that unique Title was enough to make people struggle to reach the top, to get the corresponding transmog and to stand above everyone else. Even if it was just for a day or two, until someone else had a higher pvp score.

TL;DR We need something unique to work on, like the High warlord and Grand Marshal title back in Vanilla or imagine if only the best player on a specific spec could use his artifact weapon back in legion.

I want to hear your opinions, do you think we need something like that in the game?
i agree ... the game needs something which isn't mythic+ and raids or pvp..

unlike popular belief some people don't play this game to get high ilvl.
Nice ideas! I'd support something like this even if I myself would never be able to reach it.
Won't work with blizzard trying to satisfy two different communities, even if you say that the ilvl won't matter. Then you have only RNG left that can make you win.

Take the Chromie challenge. I wanted a challenge so I didn't pick the last few talents in Chromie just to see if I could make it. Only way I made it and got the challenge completed on my mage without using the last few talents was by having really good RNG. Blizzard can't make challenging content in a non-skill based game without involving either RNG or ilvl. Stacking with other people when you see purple pools or not standing in fire is just basic for so many players and if it's not for specifically player X, he or she can easily adapt.

Even then, if you find something that is challenging (probably because ilvl requirement) people will cry and the content will be nerfed, again look at Mage Tower. Funnily enough some people even complained when you could easily obtain ilvl 950, but it was designed for ilvl 900-920.

The feeling of being special was removed long time ago and you can debate whether for instance transmog is evil or good but at the end it caused reduction of being special if you could clear the latest content, simply no one is anymore looking good because everyone is running around in good-looking sets. I'm not saying transmog shouldn't exist, I'm merely giving an example of a system that reduced "feeling of being special". So when you talk about Grand Marshal, it won't work because 2018 QQ. Just look at how Ashbringer all the sudden lost its value because anyone could wield it. What's the dream weapon that paladin's have nowadays? I remember being so facinated by that sword, but as soon as I saw on the legion trailer that everyone could have it, it made me not wanting to play because who gave a damn.

I for one would love it to have special things, and I would accept not being one of the special people, because if I see someone else succeed I get motivated to try to do the same. Do I fail? Probably but the motivation is there and makes me play more and be willing to reach goals.
The Mage Tower was really difficult for some classes. I agree that we need something new for challenge . But please don’t overreact and wish things wich would affect negatively the players.
There weren’t a people judging that the leving its to easy .. or for other things ..
A good idea steering in the right direction.

However, the current self-entitled player base in this game usually complain about things that are not in their reach and eventually Blizzard cave in and make these items more attainable. This results in the items not being unique anymore because everyone will have them.

The World of Warcraft has become a communist world and I feel that only Classic's success can re influence the demand from players to feel unique once more (once they get used to the old design philosophy where effort put in = higher reward)
30/10/2018 18:02Posted by Xjj
A good idea steering in the right direction.

However, the current self-entitled player base in this game usually complain about things that are not in their reach and eventually Blizzard cave in and make these items more attainable. This results in the items not being unique anymore because everyone will have them.

The World of Warcraft has become a communist world and I feel that only Classic's success can re influence the demand from players to feel unique once more (once they get used to the old design philosophy where effort put in = higher reward)

Sadly, you are right. But, I believe that the community will not cry out for a unique transmog let's say or title.
Right now we have somewhat unique mounts only for gladiators in every season. I don't see people demanding their removal or their required rank reduced to rival or challenger.
I think that something like that is not bound to fail. But as you said, the whole Classic philosophy will change the point of view in this game.

Who knows, maybe Classic will get a high enough activity that BFA or the future expansion will have some core changes in how RnG works right now. To make it more oldschool style.
That's just you. It never bothered me that everyone else had artifact weapons like Ashbringer or Doomhammer.

Those things you've described, like only single paladin on the server having the Ashbringer and the other things, I'd absolutely hate that. Like it or not, transmog as well as collecting other collectibles both became huge parts of the game, and having transmogs which are available to only one player per class in the server completely goes against it. If anything, I'd actually make all removed appearance and other collectibles available, make mage towers scale to current level, allow old legendaries to be transmogged, and so on.

The game doesn't need any oldschool "features" like you've listed. Keep them for classic and to the small minority of the playerbase that wants them, they have no place in current WoW.
30/10/2018 18:01Posted by Kémentari
The Mage Tower was really difficult for some classes. I agree that we need something new for challenge . But please don’t overreact and wish things wich would affect negatively the players.
There weren’t a people judging that the leving its to easy .. or for other things ..

It wasnt difficult being as blizard again let players overgeared. I didnt bother with it till very last week of Legion befor patch hits and one shoted 2/3 challenges on fist try. I didnt bother with arcane. Mage tower should be absolote by time argus patch hitted and no longer reward anything so it actualy stays exlcuive. Sorry mate but non of mage tower skins are unique or exclusive becouse blizzard let us overgear it.