Blizzard Are You Really Serious About Night Elves This Time?

General
The warfront video is causing a lot of excitement, and it's the first time I've actually been enthusiastic about Malfurion and Tyrande in game - as opposed to the novels that seemed the only place they were amazing. New Darkshore Warfront update is also much better than the first iteration in the earlier PtR

But is this a token? Or a serious u-turn for night elves from what has been a very disappointing show in game from classic up to WoD. Legion was the first time I ever saw night elves as incredible in wow, thanks to the Broken isle zones, especially Suramar and Val'sharah, but that video is the first I have ever seen the Darnassian group look threatening.

Is this going to be real or a one off token?

Because for it to win over our confidence, this has to extend beyond Malfurion and Tyrande and to the night elf npcs and other charscters, whether priests, mages, druids , sentinels , wardens and even demon hunters that have them way up there in the novels but way down there in the games.

It can't just stop at looking dangerous in a warfront either, they have to win things permanently from the horde - if not Kalimdor, then somewhere else, and they need to look cool doing it.

It's not just a home and city they need back either, you stripped them of a lot of cool features and power like, immortality, well of eternity, world tree, these were iconic things associated with them

It's not just a token warfront or place to live either, you left them out of the final push against the legion, you mustn't sideline them against Azshara, she is central racial villain to night elves and need to also show them off against her, every night elf whether Darnassian, shen'dralar, Farondis, Moon guard, Nightborne, Warden, Dreamweavers have had their lives irrevocably changed cos of her decision to let the legion in and it is their zones and areas that have seen the brunt of Naga assaults, to lifeline them would be a huge slight.

It musn't end with Azshara either, you've pretty much decimated them, twice now in their lore, you need to rebuild them up, and not just any way, the best they have ever been in every area they have mastered and not leave them out of new stuff.

• No more damsel in distress portrayals
  • No more weak night elves losing with humiliation to make the horde look good (I'm looking at cata quests, esp Azshara Zone and Desolace
  • No more absences from world events especially ones connected to their lore
  • No despondent, depressed night elves, fading away in ruins and forests unable to move past tragedies of the past.

A revival for the night elf needs to be genuine, not flash bang and absent for the next 14 years.we loved when they were a key player in affairs in Wc3 alongside humans, orcs and the unread. And you built a grand lore for an entire world, a race with no small degree of pedigree.

This is what your fans expect, can you deliver?
When you do night elves well, people love it, and love the game, look how awestruck they were with Suramar, Nightborne, demon hunters, Val'sharah zones etc, the Farondis story - some of your best work. - wasn't it easy to get inspired and creative with the night elf theme and lore? Wasn't it a delight to fashion those places? Ancient wonder city and forest? Cultural depth, coolness?

Look at how excited people are over Malfurion and Tyrande after just one video, after years of growing hate over their passivity and neglect. Val'sharah showed people weren't up for the sort of love chase shown, but dangerous and dark? Powerful and threatening? They love. And when they love, they invest, time and mohey.

Discussion of improved Night elf narrative for the warfront is catching like wikdfire. This post Malfurion wrote, was 3 pages in 6 hrs
https://eu.battle.net/forums/en/wow/topic/17624523494#post-1
Contains Spoilers

07/11/2018 13:19Posted by Mälfurion
Night Elves rejoice !

1-Most night elven souls now refuse to be raised, and rise as wisps to fight back against the Horde !

2-Brynja can't raise all the Night Elves, the numbers of Night Elves that you can raise has been reduced greatly making it a rare occurrence.

3- Nathanos no longer expects us to be surprised at the resurrection of elves by the Val'kyr ( horde PC) which indicates a correction in the narrative.

4-Tyrande will now cast powerful spells named Dark of the Moon ( exploding moon that deals massive AOE VOID damage) and will also cast full eclipse, turning everything dark/foggy.Many new spells relating to Elune added, all look dark/silver/void like.

5-Tyrande's damage has been greatly increased to the point that horde players will quickly die if they engage her, she 1 shots you, and Nathanos will lose his hp quickly.

6-Tyrande now grants Alliance players Fury of the Night Warrior Buff and other empowerment/Aura, which increases your damage/max health/regen greatly just by being close to her.

Overall great job by Blizzard once again, they made it clear that only 1-5% of the Night Elves can be raised( additional explanation might be added), and the Night Warrior is now seen as a huge threat, that even Horde PC need to be careful around.

• I hope this is just a start, and not the end.
  • Night elves done well gets people excited blizz
  • This group is worth doing awesome
Of course not - warfront is meant to be a stalemate.

Too bad.

Perhaps in 14 more years they manage to turn Ashenvale into a stalemate too.
The converse is also true, when they were stagnant, their heroes not showing up anywhere in game, there npcs just passive and pacifist tree huggers, with nothing but passive druidism the endless repeat levels showed - because you blizzard hadn't shown or their hard-core dangerous sentinel side you showed in wc3, or really exposed players to how cool night elf demon hunters were or how grand and mastered they were at the arcane - only lore enthusiasts like myself knew there was so much more to them.

Consequently people weren't interested in them, forgot about them, and the fantasy genres newest and most original rendition of elves was reduced to a wimp forest elf stereo type instead of the powerful fusion of the dark elf and forest elf full of mystic wonder, magic, majesty and feral savagery, with its delicious juxtaposition of contrasting oddest...so peaceful yet so aggressive, possessing the great sophistication of their arcane era and the humble primitive setting of their long vigil era - a contrast which can be seen in druid and highborne orders today.

Night elves were enigmatic and fascinating, but became predictable, monotonous and a boring over represented elven stereo type with all its uniqueness, magic and wonder locked in novels where the vast majority of players would never see.

I really hope that it is finally over, and blizzard truly are serious about them, it started well in legion, but peterred out after 7.1 and also failing to carry through to the main playable faction. That is until 8.1?

May night elves get involvement in 8.2 and 8.3 to make up for 7.2 and 7.3 and beyond, to make up for the 14 year drought.
07/11/2018 12:38Posted by Naeya
Of course not - warfront is meant to be a stalemate.

Too bad.

Perhaps in 14 more years they manage to turn Ashenvale into a stalemate too.

Hence why I am still nervous, it is not a night elf victory at all and is still in danger of being the token show, especially if there is no follow up.

Blizzard tend to do more of the things that are popular, which has not been good for night elves, but can be.

When blizzard left night elves stagnant for 14 years only showing us pacifist tree hugger, no one raved about them compared to others, and that's cos blizzard did nothing with them , no popularity ensured they were overlooked.

However whenever they did get serious about them and do a great job, like in Wc3 and in Legion, the response was overwhelmingly good.

Blizzard has done cool and great things for other races that have received mediocre interest at best, or outright flopped despite the focus given, not nightnelves, always been hugely successful when done well, and raised the interest in the game.

So why they don't make them a major player like humans, forsaken, orcs and blood elves is beyond me.

The hope is that the legion reactions and the 8.1 Darkshore warfront cinematic reaction will correlate well with wc3 data and the night elf specific novels and show this races is worth doing well and making awesome again.

I really think night elves can help lift Warcraft out of a slump, their focus in Legion was refreshing and different from the constant visuals of human/Forsaken, orc and blood elf, and troll, we always have a troll something (WoD and Legion first excempts) and off the races tied to that lore stream like dwarves and Tauren.

Night elves really take you away to something different, a Night world, with female warriors and hunteesses, magical forests and talking trees, dragons and giants, majestic night cities and arcane power and Well of Eternity. Emerald Dream and World tree, ancient pre-sundering the current races world, with enemies like Naga, demons and satyrs.

THEIR FORESTS look and feel different, their cities, ruins or pristine are like nothing We've seen before, it is very refreshing and it has all the elements of fantasy too. Feral, savage, high magic, arcane, magical woods and cities, a goddess also very rare and unique in that she is t say a female Loa or Naaru, she is something entirely different, more, a true goddess it is said.

It's a unique sub world to the main world of humans/Forsaken, orcs/tauren, dwarves and trolls that all have the same world, blood elves too. Sort of like Draenor with its distinct Mag'har Orc and draenei setting unique forests, unique cities, unique bestiary, it's own lore. Even Draenor orcs are different from Azeroth invader orcs who are part of that original block.

So it is with night elves, and their story started off with a bang that captures the imagination - ancient wo dear civilization, born from magic, rose to great heights, then a great enemy ends it, with tragedy, great suffering, but great achievements too, all with its own set. It's own forests, bestiary, lore structure, it's own cities, landscapes, customs.

It's a huge gem to just waste and use so sparingly.

So far in Warcraft I have a sense of 3/4 worlds.

The main world with ophumans v orcs, trolls, forsaken, tauren, dwarves and it's no one zombie world with the scourge that's a 1/2 or 1.5 world

Then there is the Night elf world night world with the star culture, star and moon focus, Elune, Well of Eternity, World tree, Malfurion, Tyrande, Illidan, druids, sentinels, highborne, nightborne, priestesses, demon hunters, Naga, Satyr, the legion, purple forests, great forests, great cities, great ruins etc

Then the Draenor world - with Mag'har orcs, Dranei, the Naaru, Outland, Draenor, the Naaru, Botaani, Ogron, the legion here too, Naaru priests, orc shaman (warlocks are more the Azeroth orcs), hunters, crystals, Arrakoa, spore giants, Tec

Then the small Pandaren world - it is quite unique too.

Night World is hugely popular
You really need to stop making threads trying to push your terrible "night elves like Arcane" agenda.
Here we go again...
07/11/2018 17:48Posted by Naeya
You really need to stop making threads trying to push your terrible "night elves like Arcane" agenda.

Okay, I'm not sure what you want me to write, but thanks for the bump. If it gets night elves more exposure and it gets better lore, better portrayals, then thats what i want.

I leave agendas to people like Minairia(Tanaria)/Savoren/Lyandris and co, and the easily duped by their tricks like Shandyr.

There are many things I find cool about the night elves, and it is my desire to inspire the players and developers about them so they will do quality stuff like Wc3 and Legion and never repeat the humiliating way they portrayed night elves in the levelling process of Cataclysm
07/11/2018 17:51Posted by Shandyr
Here we go again...

What do you mean here we go again? This is one of blizzards most fascinating races, but the wow community has never known them as cool because of how they were portrayed between classic and WoD.

So an interesting race became dull, and no one talks about dull groups only those who remember wc3 and read WotA and the novels to know they are incredible, deep, rich and quite original.

So if no one talked about them because blizzard did nothing with them, the same blizzard would ignore them because no one seems interested. Killing night elved

Some of the few fans that remember night elves as more than pacifist tree hugger wood elves, remembers they are night elves, not forest elves, remembers the're was so much more to them than wow was showing, that they had a very dangerous badass savage side to them and not just a peaceful, serene side, remembers they had incredible arcane mastery and era, not just a forest druid era, and a priesthood with a high priestess that was rather extra-ordinary in several areas but not in the game.

So a fan writes about all these aspects, reminds people and blizzard they have a gem here they aren't utilising, and all you can say is "here we go again?"

Do you know how many Sylvanas, Saurfang, the horde is dying, the horde is great, the horde is lost, I love the horde, Zandalari, Vol'jin, blood elf, update Silvermoon, I want high elves, Jaina, Anduin, human threads there are out There? Or wow is dying, I'm quitting, this game is boring, give shaman a buff threads, Azerite is terrible, worse expansion ever out There?

Go respond "here we go again " to them, rather than the skeleton topics I try to keep alive to remind people night elves can really be cool, blizz should do them right, and along the way reminding people that Warcraft lore has some gems and treasures worth going back to in the night elves rather than ignoring for more orc, troll, Sylvanas lore. That hopefully inspire players to be interested in them, especially since legion has brought them into the limelight again.

Why don't you instead share your thoughts on them, your predictions, your hope for demon hunters and the night elves, unless ofc you don't like night elves, and this is just your token alliance toon you use to play your DH and find out what the other side is doing,
Must admit, the Darkshore cinematic had me sitting up, a lot more than the Anduin/Saurfang one. Loved Malfurion grabbing the troll by the throat, I would have enjoyed a little wrist motion turning his head unwillingly to watch the orc being swallowed by the ground before turning him back and whisper "Your turn.." and loved the white owl perching and observing everything in it's stone cold demeanour

And the end had me "oh yeaaaah...." when Nathanos has foreboding in bucketloads when he opens that canvas tent door.

Time to reap what Sylvanas has sown.
08/11/2018 17:42Posted by Souldefíler
Must admit, the Darkshore cinematic had me sitting up, a lot more than the Anduin/Saurfang one. Loved Malfurion grabbing the troll by the throat, I would have enjoyed a little wrist motion turning his head unwillingly to watch the orc being swallowed by the ground before turning him back and whisper "Your turn.." and loved the white owl perching and observing everything in it's stone cold demeanour

And the end had me "oh yeaaaah...." when Nathanos has foreboding in bucketloads when he opens that canvas tent door.

Time to reap what Sylvanas has sown.

haha, yes. Nathanos is so smug, really want them to teach him a lesson, but the one I really want them to give a good humiliating beating is Sylvanas. She survives, but has to use all her power and wit to escape within an inch of her life - and she knows, that the night elves may now be too few to field any sizeable army, but they have peeps who can take down any member of the horde no matter how powerful and not just Tyrande/Malfurion, so be afraid, be very afraid.

I'd also like them to win some place night elfy to live in, better if they have to beat the horde to do so, - would help make up for all those defeats through wow and WoT, one they gain something. If not on kalimdor, then somewhere else night elfy. But definitely a home, and i hope we see some nature and arcane power ups too, like maybe Well of Eternity or new well for the arcane power up and possibly utilising the Emerald dream/world tree for the balancing nature power up. The Night warrior is the Elune power up , and gosh i hope it extends to other night elf priests. Moon priest and Dark Moon Priest. Maybe the dark moon thing can be a feature for male priests who don't really have an identity in the priest order like female druids have in the druidic order, while the female priests are Bright Moon or Full Moon priests. Just a thought.
I would love to see Malfurion the balance druid and Malfurion the feral druid, especially his cat form and I'd love him to have an Astral form, that could be woohoo cool..

I always viewed him more of a balance /resto druid, but not seen him actually do the bbalance druid stuff, or the feral druid - and we only just saw the bear.

Broll Baearmantle is supposed to be one of the most talented shapeshifting druids, I wonder if we will see him in a new animal form, unless new animals are reserved for new druid races.
A Mr. Bones ride would probably finish sooner than these Night Elf threads...
09/11/2018 13:47Posted by Leymaiden
A Mr. Bones ride would probably finish sooner than these Night Elf threads...

I won't quit until the fullness of ALL the cool parts of the night elves becomes excellently shown to the WOW factor level this company is capable of and has done before with them. And this becomes their normal every time they show up. No more crap night elves and no more neglected night elves

I've been sitting, patiently waiting and hoping for them to get done decently in game for over 10 years, because blizzard really captured my imagination and wonder with how they brought this race out in wc3 and WotA

Yet I watched as wow failed to represent them as the lore and novels had, almost like there were 2 night elves, the ones in wow, and the ones everywhere else.

Waited patiently for the arcane restoration and priesthood expansion, got nothing, the same druid focus in classic remaining unchanged.

And finally when the minor cata update came, bringing hope with highborne and sentinels having a presence, it was undone by how weak they were, we didn't see the new highborne in action, only their 3 week trained students who were humiliated and the sentinels, overrun, the druids bombed in Stonetalon and in Hyjal, even with the return of the wild gods, seemed rather weak.

When Legion brought the first " cool" night elves to wow, with the nightborne and Suramar, they gave that to the horde at the end, and the other cool night elves like Farondis and Moonguard never mentioned since, the demon hunters also absent since and the wardens.

This followed by losing to be wiped out again, this time by the horde, in their own forest taking everything from them, and once again, not looking cool or badass, despite the better showing of the night elves this time round compared to cata remake, the horde individuals still looked better, more capable on the individual fight sequences, despite having the upper hand of numbers (Malfurion exempt).

I couldn't stay silent and I won't until the night elves are shown as awesome in the game as in the lore and this goes for their arcane mastery through their highborne, their nature mastery through their druids, their Elune and divine calling through their priesthood and their fel mastery through demon hunters.

They took their nightborne and best city to the horde,then burnt their existing capital and also gave their Kalimdor zones to the horde, they showed them as weak, and didn't even have them using their arcane or nature powers in the Well of Eternity or the world tree Shaladrassil (now Teldrassil was burnt), and Elune might as well have been absent.

As if the horde needed both kalimdor and the broken isles. Kalimdor i could understand partly, especially to move things on, but Broken isles and Suramar? When the horde already had advanced magical elven city, and casters they didn't need, knowing the Thalassian kingdom was there, and they were gonna grant them the troll one as well in BfA, did the night elf one, an alliance race have to go their too? Especially since we full well know the horde could have gotten nightborne without city or lands or even most of the populace, the bias was solo blatant, couldn't stay silent.

I've seen the Darkshore 8.1 stuff, I like it, at least Elune is doing something, and through her people, it's a start, but still so much left, knowing them, the night elves won't even feature against Azshara, like they were cut out of the direct and final push against the legion, the enemy that felled their civilization and is why they were in isolation for 10k years, that is all their groups, not just the Long vigil one. The shen'dralar, the nightborne, the Moonguard, and ofc the Farondis, by virtue of their curse. Leaving them out of a major role against Azshara is like leaving the humans out of taking down Arthas or leaving the blood elves out of taking down Kael'thas or the Orcs out of Garrosh or the Iron horde... it would be another biased slap in the face as if to say, erm, it's too big and too amazing to have you involved, so we will make Sylvanas, Jaina and Anduin stars humans and trolls. And the character that started all this hardship and been fighting you since they emerged, we all of a sudden forget - so we can push our pet favourites? Eating more away at their integrity and our trust in them. Not if I can help it, i will keep bringi if only so my trust in them isnt totally shattered.

This after being one of the coolest races with their unique nature and arcane variation on druidism and Elunism as well as intertwined phenomenal arcane legacy all in a night star and moon portrait of the things we see in the world of blood elves, humans, forsaken and Azeroth orcs.

So no, I won't stop, not until everyone recognises and sees how cool this group is and desires blizzard be true to their cool vision and portrayal of them, rather than leave them by the wayside, showing up only for tragedy and cannon fodder.ery time they show up. No more crap night elves and no more neglected night elves

I've been sitting, patiently waiting and hoping for them to get done decently in game for over 10 years, because blizzard really captured my imagination and wonder with how they brought this race out in wc3 and WotA

Yet I watched as wow failed to represent them as the lore and novels had, almost like there were 2 night elves, the ones in wow, and the ones everywhere else.

Waited patiently for the arcane restoration and priesthood expansion, got nothing, the same druid focus in classic remaining unchanged.

And finally when the minor cata update came, bringing hope with highborne and sentinels having a presence, it was undone by how weak they were, we didn't see the new highborne in action, only their 3 week trained students who were humiliated and the sentinels, overrun, the druids bombed in Stonetalon and in Hyjal, even with the return of the wild gods, seemed rather weak.

When Legion brought the first " cool" night elves to wow, with the nightborne and Suramar, they gave that to the horde at the end, and the other cool night elves like Farondis and Moonguard never mentioned since, the demon hunters also absent since and the wardens.

This followed by losing to be wiped out again, this time by the horde, in their own land, taking everything from them, and once again, not looking cool or badass, despite the better showing of the night elves, the horde individuals still looked better, more capable on the individual fight sequences, despite having the upper hand of numbers (Malfurion exempt).

I couldn't stay silent and I won'tuntil the night elves are shown as awesome in the game as in the lore and this goes for their arcane mastery through their highborne, their nature mastery through their druids, their Elune and divine calling through their priesthood and their del mastery through demon hunters.

They took their nightborne and best city to the horde,then burnt their existing cap vital and also gave their Kalimdor zones to the horde, they showed them as weak, and didn't even have them using their arcane or nature powers in the Well of Eternity or the world tree Shaladrassil (now Teldrassil was burnt), and Elune might as well havebeenabsent.

I've seen the Darkshore 8.1 stuff, I like it, at least Elune is doing something, and through her people, it's a start, but still so much left, knowing them, the night elves won't even feature against Azshara, like they were cut out of the direct and final push against the legion, the enemy that felled their civilization and is why they were in isolation for 10k years, that is all their groups, not just the Long vigil one. The shen'dralar, the nightborne, the Moonguard, and ofc the Farondis, by virtue of their curse.

This after being one of the coolest races with their unique nature and arcane variation on druidism and Elunism as well as intertwined phenomenal arcane legacy all in a night star and moon portrait of the things we see in the world of blood elves, humans, forsaken and Azeroth orcs.

So no, I won't stop, not until everyone recognises and sees how cool this group is and desires blizzard be true to their cool vision and portrayal of them, rather than leave them by the wayside, showing up only for tragedy and cannon fodder.