Classic was hard for casuals

Classic Discussion
11/11/2018 18:07Posted by Grupp
If any Everquest or (going back even further) Ultima Online players were listening in on this conversation they'd be laughing their heads off. WoW was seen as an ultra-casual MMORPG, and one that was super-streamlined and casual-friendly when compared to it's progenitors/predecessors.

Imagine an MMORPG in which the only penalty for death was some lost cash and a corpse run, and in which other players couldn't even loot your corpse and steal your stuff... and one in which you didn't even need to grind mobs endlessly for hour after hour in order to level up?

That's what was fun about those kind of MMOs though, like running around in Runescape in Wildie, managing to kill someone in full rune with a skull and looting items which would take you 20-30 hours of farming.

Now THAT'S some damn fine PVP!
For any game to succeed, you need to get hardcore gamers to play / stay first. Plebs will follow them in hopes to achieve the same glory for themselves too. So in that sense I don't mind if Classic is more towards hardcore players.

See that no life full epic gear guy on a epic mount? You want to be him!

And no, it was not "hard" for casuals, it just took too damn long to actually get anything done if you were casual and had IRL responsibilities.
14/11/2018 12:43Posted by Valoperse
See that no life full epic gear guy on a epic mount?
Yes, i see him.
You want to be him!
No, i don't.
For any game to succeed, you need to get hardcore gamers to play / stay first. Plebs will follow them in hopes to achieve the same glory for themselves too. So in that sense I don't mind if Classic is more towards hardcore players.

See that no life full epic gear guy on a epic mount? You want to be him!

And no, it was not "hard" for casuals, it just took too damn long to actually get anything done if you were casual and had IRL responsibilities.

I think there is a divide here over what makes someone "casual".

There are people who play infrequently and/or for short periods of time.
There are people who may play a lot - but are either not that good, or are not focused enough, and so are not doing current end game BiS dropping content.

Both of these get accused of being casuals - but they are not really the same.

Classic WoW had plenty of content for the second - but relatively little for the first. By contrast today's WoW seems increasingly designed for the former, with very little for the later. If you don't want to do high end mythic content, you can essentially "complete" the PvE game in under a month - if you can be bothered. The optimal player is someone who logs in once a week, plays for about 3 hours, then logs off and just keeps on paying their sub month after month.

It isnt someone grinding away to get their Tier 0.5 gear.