New Forums will be here on Tuesday

General
11/11/2018 23:39Posted by Gráinne
From Blizzard's point of view, would that be a good or a bad thing? Serious question.

Good thing of course. They can save some expenses from mod salaries.
I dont like overwatch forums. Its a mess.

I want to see messages and read them.

Overwatch forums? Buttons and messages, counters, timers, all sorts or random !@#$ mashed together in the small area that is available. Just too much unneccessary stuff.
I love the new forum style. Was quite envious when Overwatch got it. It takes a little getting used to, but it's really nice when you get the hang of it.

Have asked for it countless times as well, so it's nice to see that something's happening now.

Not sure though if this means the EU forums are also changing. It is just mentioned for the US forums as far as I can tell.
But we'll see.
12/11/2018 01:16Posted by Jito
I love the new forum style. Was quite envious when Overwatch got it. It takes a little getting used to, but it's really nice when you get the hang of it.

Have asked for it countless times as well, so it's nice to see that something's happening now.

Not sure though if this means the EU forums are also changing. It is just mentioned for the US forums as far as I can tell.
But we'll see.

they never really mention anything here so i imagine its all the forums , i guess our change could come at a later date. if it works out in the US.. which if that's the case... i'm surprised they didn't use EU forums as the test hamster as they clearly don't care about us in comparison to the NA forums.
12/11/2018 01:21Posted by Pixelbear
they never really mention anything here so i imagine its all the forums

Maintenance schedules are always posted specifically for each region. And they're very consistent about that.

12/11/2018 01:21Posted by Pixelbear
as they clearly don't care about us in comparison to the NA forums.

That's a silly thing to suggest. The EU website structure ultimately presents a bigger challenge than the US website, because of the 7 localized languages.
12/11/2018 01:31Posted by Jito
That's a silly thing to suggest. The EU website structure ultimately presents a bigger challenge than the US website, because of the 7 localized languages.

yea i guess i still stand by my statement though!
Looks like I'm going to have to get a new mouse.... the wheel is going to get a hammering with the endless page scrolling. Not a fan. But hey... I'm sure it will be fine. I actually like forums with pages cus you can see how popular a post is. I doubt the creators would have removed it if they carried adverts as you lose the revenue from page changes. For that I guess we can be very grateful.

By the way .. if the new site still has the cookie disclaimer, just a heads up, I still aint going to say OK. You can't have an option without a choice. So where is the not OK button. Just saying. The idea behind the change in the law was to make you aware of the storage of detail about your browsing habbits. Most sites allow you to switch the thing off. The only choice here is to ignore it.... which creates problems logging into the site but it eventually lets you in.
11/11/2018 21:50Posted by Jaelaana
Trust Levels

We want to reward users who are positively contributing to the forums. Over time, these players will be rewarded with the ability to post more often, embed images/links, and more.
Tracking and Updates

There are now “Blizz Tracker” and “Dev Tracker” options to quickly find official posts
You can now easily find threads that you’ve previously viewed
Preformatted text
Threads now update in real time without needing to refresh
Threads now infinitely scroll as the “pages” system has been removed.
The forums will also remember what you’ve read, where you left off, and how long you’ve spent active on the forums.
Sorting and Search

A new “Advanced Search” feature will make looking for older posts easier.
You can now sort posts by “Top” or “Latest” with configurable timeframes.
Notifications

You can now enable notifications for when you are tagged in posts and replies.
Flagging

We’ve removed the “thumbs down” button and replaced it with a flagging system with multiple options.

all these features do not sound particularly appealing. needing to gain trust levels to post links? ugh
Not sure if it's just the US getting changed for now, though no doubt EU will follow.

This is from Heroes, but I think it's safe to expect a similar model for WoW:

https://us.forums.blizzard.com/en/heroes/t/new-forum-syntax-guide-details-about-trust-levels/380

Trust Levels

Trust levels are a participation system on the forums. The more you post, like, reply, read, and visit the forums, the more you work your way to a higher trust level. Increased Trust levels grant additional privileges. Everyone who is new starts off at Trust Level 0 but will quickly climb by reading and visiting the forums within their first few days.

TRUST LEVEL 0

Trust level 0 users cannot:

Flag posts
Post more than 3 topics
Post more than 10 replies

TRUST LEVEL 1

Get to trust level 1 by…

Entering at least 5 topics
Reading at least 30 posts
Spend a total of 10 minutes reading posts

Users at trust level 1 can…

Post unlimited topics and replies
Edit wiki posts (more on Wiki Posts Below)
Flag posts

TRUST LEVEL 2

Get to trust level 2 by…

Visiting at least 15 days, not sequentially
Casting at least 1 like
Receiving at least 1 like
Replying to at least 3 different topics
Entering at least 20 topics
Reading at least 100 posts
Spend a total of 60 minutes reading posts

Users at trust level 2 can…

Create links and video embeds to trusted websites like Blizzard websites, YouTube, or Twitch
Have an increased “like” count.

TRUST LEVEL 3

Get to trust level 3 by…

Must have visited at least 50% of last 100 days
Must have replied to at least 10 different topics
Of topics created in the last 100 days, must have viewed 500 topics
Of posts created in the last 100 days, must have read 20,000 posts (both starting posts and replies)
Must have received 20 likes, and given 30 likes.
Must not have received more than 5 spam or offensive flags (with unique posts and unique users for each, confirmed by a moderator)
Must not have been suspended (including forum suspensions or in-game account actions of any Blizzard game)

Trust Level 3 users can

Create Wiki Posts (more on that below)
Post animated gifs, images, compatible video embeds, and links to any website

What jumps out at me is
Spend a total of 60 minutes reading posts

So they're tracking our Time Played on the forums now. That's not creepy at all.

It's a third party forum software package: https://www.discourse.org/ for those of you who are interested in such things.
I went to the OW forums to see how they look and I got a headache after 5 minutes. It looks like facebook conversations with posts within posts and for some reason the posts also repeat in the general topic. There's also so much useless stuff like counters and all kinds of icons that I don't know, nor do I care about. I thought the current format was space wasting compared to the old one, but I could understand the need for more friendly mobile format. The new one basically barely has something worth reading in a pile of junk counters.

But these ....trust levels thingies, it just makes me think of facebook games. And yeah, having your time tracked is creepy.

Well, I guess something to keep me less on the forums is not necessarily a bad thing?
And the number of the like? "Must have received 20 likes, and given 30 likes."
Blizz is rtryin to change the community to become a faebook style audience? im not sure that is good. Time to move on reddit?
I hope Blizzard will also introduce mobile forum app and subscriptions in order to earn trust levels faster.
That would have positive effect on community, we will see forum teams selling trust boost for tokens.
Wat? Perfectly in line with all recent developments.
12/11/2018 07:05Posted by Saphiramoon
But these ....trust levels thingies, it just makes me think of facebook games. And yeah, having your time tracked is creepy.

I think it's a way to give posters more opportunities (links, gifs, videos, etc.) whilst at the same time curbing the worst trolls and the havoc they can cause by effectively limiting their posting opportunities until they've become "regular posters".
12/11/2018 07:05Posted by Saphiramoon
Well, I guess something to keep me less on the forums is not necessarily a bad thing?

Mmm I like reading your posts. The new forum will be fine. The first time you see the Overwatch forum it looks awful – but that's because it's new, and new is uncomfortable. Once you get used to it it'll be fine, I think. People hated the current forums as well when we switched to those in Cataclysm :P
hopefully they will finally fix the white page blink while loading next page...

*edit* its not there on overwatch forums so yay no more getting blinded at night time.
I don't like them. And I don't like being constantly monitored for my activity like some lab rat.

But that's the humanity we live in today. We're all just lab rats.

I hope they return the MVP program though. Wouldn't mind a green text.
I have never visited the Overwatch forums but damn they're ugly. Also no pages? We regularly have threads with hundreds of posts. Do they really expect us to scroll all the way down everytime someone replied to the thread?
12/11/2018 11:09Posted by Keydiam
I have never visited the Overwatch forums but damn they're ugly. Also no pages? We regularly have threads with hundreds of posts. Do they really expect us to scroll all the way down everytime someone replied to the thread?

it takes one click to jump from first post to last, you click on the forum sidebar (not browser window sidebar)
you won't have to refresh the pages, just keep the tabs open they auto update
A good thing is the possibility to sort the thread by date\popularity and like.
Bring back Dislike button?
12/11/2018 11:37Posted by Benjamin
Bring back Dislike button?

Have you been to the Diablo forums lately? Trust me, that dislike button might as well be renamed the hate button. We're better off without it.